Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV Programme looking for your House of Horrors!

Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major
flood? Have unwanted pests invaded your home? Has the bath fallen
through your ceiling?

Were looking for unlucky burnt, burgled, flooded, infested, noisy,
haunted, falling down, blown away, drenched, damaged..even blown up
homes!

If you have now, or in the past, battled a Horror in the Home and its
making your life a misery, then we want to hear from you and we might
be able to help for a new TV programme.

CALL - 01603 727 614 or email -

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

Fancy asking for that sort of thing on uk.d-i-y!

Because of the fantastic advice given by the
regulars on this group we don't have any of that
sort of thing any more...

Ok - close ranks guys...

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sheba

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major
flood? Have unwanted pests invaded your home? Has the bath fallen
through your ceiling?

Were looking for unlucky burnt, burgled, flooded, infested, noisy,
haunted, falling down, blown away, drenched, damaged..even blown up
homes!

If you have now, or in the past, battled a Horror in the Home and its
making your life a misery, then we want to hear from you and we might
be able to help for a new TV programme.

CALL - 01603 727 614 or email -

I removed all my light switches as I can't find any wallpaper with holes cut
in it.
It also took me 7hours to fit two curtain poles together to form a long one
and fit a nice extended centre support.
Don't even get me started on trying to stop condensation. I fitted all the
radiators on the outside of the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , RzB
writes
Fancy asking for that sort of thing on uk.d-i-y!

Because of the fantastic advice given by the
regulars on this group we don't have any of that
sort of thing any more...

Ok - close ranks guys...

Email him

... and be abusive

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major
flood? Have unwanted pests invaded your home? Has the bath fallen
through your ceiling?

Were looking for unlucky burnt, burgled, flooded, infested, noisy,
haunted, falling down, blown away, drenched, damaged..even blown up
homes!

If you have now, or in the past, battled a Horror in the Home and its
making your life a misery, then we want to hear from you and we might
be able to help for a new TV programme.

I know tons of people in Sumatra or New Orleans or Pakistan or even Hemel
Hempstead, whose disasters this year would fill your TV programme with cheap
laughs. What'll (note the apostrophe) you give me for their stories?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major
flood?

ROFL, let me think... I wonder who???

Now *that* actually might make a programme worth watching...

With all the Vox Pops in appalling verse?

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Peter
Taylor writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major
flood? Have unwanted pests invaded your home? Has the bath fallen
through your ceiling?

Were looking for unlucky burnt, burgled, flooded, infested, noisy,
haunted, falling down, blown away, drenched, damaged..even blown up
homes!

If you have now, or in the past, battled a Horror in the Home and its
making your life a misery, then we want to hear from you and we might
be able to help for a new TV programme.

I know tons of people in Sumatra or New Orleans or Pakistan or even
Hemel Hempstead, whose disasters this year would fill your TV programme
with cheap laughs. What'll (note the apostrophe) you give me for their
stories?

Jason, are you detecting a trend here?

A wee bit of hostility ?

Are you, as a researcher, getting the message and taking it on board
with some feedback to take back to your TV company ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

raden wrote:
Peter Taylor writes
wrote in message
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major

Jason, are you detecting a trend here?

A wee bit of hostility ?

Are you, as a researcher, getting the message and taking it on board
with some feedback to take back to your TV company ?

There's information about him "out there".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
raden wrote:
Peter Taylor writes
wrote in message
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major

Jason, are you detecting a trend here?

A wee bit of hostility ?

Are you, as a researcher, getting the message and taking it on board
with some feedback to take back to your TV company ?

There's information about him "out there".

I dont mind the absuive replies and numerous emails I get at work about
the post I made in regard's to the programme, I was only doing as
instructed by my producer, and I completely understand your views.
However can I ask that the personal abuse stop, its uncalled for,
thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

I dont mind the absuive replies and numerous emails I get at work about
the post I made in regard's to the programme, I was only doing as
instructed by my producer, and I completely understand your views.
However can I ask that the personal abuse stop, its uncalled for,
thanks.

Jason,

I posted a small quip earlier in this thread.. It was with tongue in cheek
and hope it wasn't taken the wrong way.. I agree that any abusive stuff
is totally out of order... Not usually a part of this NG...

BTW - I took a look at your show reel... Nice... Keep up the good
work... but not another "DIY blunders" thing, please :-)

You could of course always try Mr Walsh... I'm sure he will have a
story or two to tell :-)

Roy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

RzB wrote:
I dont mind the absuive replies and numerous emails I get at work about
the post I made in regard's to the programme, I was only doing as
instructed by my producer, and I completely understand your views.
However can I ask that the personal abuse stop, its uncalled for,
thanks.

I posted a small quip earlier in this thread.. It was with tongue in cheek
and hope it wasn't taken the wrong way.. I agree that any abusive stuff
is totally out of order... Not usually a part of this NG...

Presumably comments ought to be directed at the producer, possibly
Simon Brant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
I dont mind the absuive replies and numerous emails I get at work about
the post I made in regard's to the programme, I was only doing as
instructed by my producer, and I completely understand your views.

However can I ask that the personal abuse stop, its uncalled for,
thanks.

Crikey. A sensitive researcher. You must be new at it. A few months
working as a runner on drama etc before researching would have made you
thick skinned for life.

You might suggest to your producer that a good DIY prog showing how to do
things properly rather than the tosh over rubbish we get in the UK would
get a big and loyal following - as well as plenty of help from here.

However, such a prog would likely cost more than the few thousand quid
budgets for DIY horror story ones. And need some skill to make too.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

wrote in message
ups.com...

Chris Bacon wrote:
raden wrote:
Peter Taylor writes
wrote in message
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major
Jason, are you detecting a trend here?

A wee bit of hostility ?

Are you, as a researcher, getting the message and taking it on board
with some feedback to take back to your TV company ?

There's information about him "out there".

I dont mind the absuive replies and numerous emails I get at work about
the post I made in regard's to the programme, I was only doing as
instructed by my producer, and I completely understand your views.
However can I ask that the personal abuse stop, its uncalled for,
thanks.

My comments weren't aimed at you personally, more at the stinking idea
behind the programme, but if you go along with that idea then I certainly do
include you. So far you haven't given us any reason to believe any comments
were uncalled for.

If you can prove your company actually does something worthwhile to help
these misfortunate people and doesn't just make a few cheap laughs out of
them, then I will apologise gladly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:54:52 -0800, jasoncuddy wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
raden wrote:
Peter Taylor writes
wrote in message
Have you had a major DIY disaster? Are you recovering from a major
Jason, are you detecting a trend here?

A wee bit of hostility ?

Are you, as a researcher, getting the message and taking it on board
with some feedback to take back to your TV company ?

There's information about him "out there".

I dont mind the absuive replies and numerous emails I get at work about
the post I made in regard's to the programme, I was only doing as
instructed by my producer, and I completely understand your views.
However can I ask that the personal abuse stop, its uncalled for,
thanks.

I guess the 'intrest factor' is that viewers will be able to feel a sense
of satisfaction that they could _never_ have been as stupid as those on
show.

As I have said before the difference between bad diy and bad pro work is
that the former is usually a little more creative and tries to
save, reuse, recycle materials. Whereas the latter tend to save
installation effort and time.

I have a photo for you: Customer complains "Heating & some kitchen sockets
have stopped."

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/no_juice.jpg

This picture was exactly as it was as I took the cover off the junction
box. was it a pro or an diyer who was a couple of screws short?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Why are they always only interested in doing junk tv?

Because using the public and shooting it with domestic equipment operated
by amateurs costs less than actually expending the effort on original
quality programming. Other thing to take into account is most 'meja'
graduates are the least practical people around and wouldn't have clue how
to set about making a decent DIY prog. IMHO, a well made DIY prog would be
cost effective and stand many repeats as well as aftermarket sales on DVD
etc.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
Why are they always only interested in doing junk tv?

Because using the public and shooting it with domestic equipment operated
by amateurs costs less than actually expending the effort on original
quality programming. Other thing to take into account is most 'meja'
graduates are the least practical people around and wouldn't have clue how
to set about making a decent DIY prog. IMHO, a well made DIY prog would be
cost effective and stand many repeats as well as aftermarket sales on DVD
etc.

The first DIY programme that I saw was in the late 70s and called, IIRC
'On The House'. They took a rundown Victorian terrace and restored it,
doing a different job on each episode. The one bit I particularly
remember was a corbal on an original arch in the hall. One side was
missing so they made a rubber mould of the other and cast a new one in
plaster. Very much a case of doing things properly and an inspiration.
Made it must watch television in our household. I bit like 'This Old
House' on Discovery. Why can't they make that sort of programme now? If
this is a case of dumbing down is it dumbing down of viewers of dumbing
down of producers?

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

Yes, that was a good series. Unfortunately, according to
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukhtml/prgreene.html the venerable Harry Greene is
also responsible for some crap we've been getting recently.

There was also a series where they built a flat pack house and then
demonstrated things like laying a real wooden floor, etc.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

I guess the majority of viewers are of the 'point and go ooh look at
that' type, whereas it would only be people that want to fix their
house that would go for the more practical program.

However, with an excess of point and go ooh programs, and a dearth of
useful ones, something decent would get large market share of a limited
sector rather than a tiny share of a larger one.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

RzB wrote:
Fancy asking for that sort of thing on uk.d-i-y!

Because of the fantastic advice given by the
regulars on this group we don't have any of that
sort of thing any more...

I wouldn't mind a tour of IMMs house. I would be ashamed of myself
though if he was publically exposed as the tosser I suppose him to be.
I'd rather find out he is a troll with a very nice home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:00:14 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

You might suggest to your producer that a good DIY prog showing how to do
things properly rather than the tosh over rubbish we get in the UK would
get a big and loyal following - as well as plenty of help from here.

Oh God!

YES PLEASE!!!

Dig up Barry Bucknell, bury Harry Greene instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
EricP wrote:
You might suggest to your producer that a good DIY prog showing how to do
things properly rather than the tosh over rubbish we get in the UK would
get a big and loyal following - as well as plenty of help from here.

Oh God!

YES PLEASE!!!

Dig up Barry Bucknell, bury Harry Greene instead.

Heh heh - Bucknell was just a front man with little in the way of DIY
skills - he did nothing in his own house. When you saw him drive in a
screw, it had already been done by a chippy then removed so it was an easy
fit. The house they used for the prog was eventually sold and found to be
full of bodges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:10:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
EricP wrote:
You might suggest to your producer that a good DIY prog showing how to do
things properly rather than the tosh over rubbish we get in the UK would
get a big and loyal following - as well as plenty of help from here.

Oh God!

YES PLEASE!!!

Dig up Barry Bucknell, bury Harry Greene instead.

Heh heh - Bucknell was just a front man with little in the way of DIY
skills - he did nothing in his own house. When you saw him drive in a
screw, it had already been done by a chippy then removed so it was an easy
fit. The house they used for the prog was eventually sold and found to be
full of bodges.

Spoofing on television isn't new.

I remember reading somewhere that the Cradocks (original TV chefs)
mainly ate out of cans.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Heh heh - Bucknell was just a front man with little in the way of DIY
skills - he did nothing in his own house. When you saw him drive in a
screw, it had already been done by a chippy then removed so it was an
easy fit. The house they used for the prog was eventually sold and
found to be full of bodges.

Spoofing on television isn't new.

I remember reading somewhere that the Cradocks (original TV chefs)
mainly ate out of cans.

That may have been the case when they were at home alone - cobbler's
children etc. But the Craddocks knew their subject. Bucknell didn't, by
all accounts.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.