Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV Programme looking for your House of Horrors!

Andrew wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
Why are they always only interested in doing junk tv?

Because using the public and shooting it with domestic equipment operated
by amateurs costs less than actually expending the effort on original
quality programming. Other thing to take into account is most 'meja'
graduates are the least practical people around and wouldn't have clue how
to set about making a decent DIY prog. IMHO, a well made DIY prog would be
cost effective and stand many repeats as well as aftermarket sales on DVD
etc.

The first DIY programme that I saw was in the late 70s and called, IIRC
'On The House'. They took a rundown Victorian terrace and restored it,
doing a different job on each episode. The one bit I particularly
remember was a corbal on an original arch in the hall. One side was
missing so they made a rubber mould of the other and cast a new one in
plaster. Very much a case of doing things properly and an inspiration.
Made it must watch television in our household. I bit like 'This Old
House' on Discovery. Why can't they make that sort of programme now? If
this is a case of dumbing down is it dumbing down of viewers of dumbing
down of producers?

Yes, that was a good series. Unfortunately, according to
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukhtml/prgreene.html the venerable Harry Greene is
also responsible for some crap we've been getting recently.

There was also a series where they built a flat pack house and then
demonstrated things like laying a real wooden floor, etc.

MBQ