Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Impact Drivers

Dave wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You don't have a clue what an impact driver is.

You do not recognize a descriptive and accurate definition, when it hits
you in the face.

Having worked in engineering for over 40 odd years, an impact driver is
as Dave describes. You whack it with a hammer and it puts a turning
motion on the object of your desires.

If a manufacturer wants to introduce an electrically driven one, then
the name should suggest that it is electrically driven. i.e.
Electrically driven impact driver.

Impact means that it gets impacted.

Erm, wrong word...

It does not specify by what means
the impact takes place. Air driven impact drivers have been in use at
most garages for as long as I can remember, but they are called air
driven impact guns, when described by their Sunday name ;-)

but otherwise, I entirely agree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You don't have a clue what an impact driver is.

You do not recognize a descriptive and accurate definition, when it hits
you in the face.

Having worked in engineering for over 40 odd years, an impact driver is
as Dave describes. You whack it with a hammer and it puts a turning
motion on the object of your desires.

If a manufacturer wants to introduce an electrically driven one, then
the name should suggest that it is electrically driven. i.e.
Electrically driven impact driver.

The OP described it well enough. He clearly didn't know of the driver type.
That was clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
It happens that Doctor Drivel formulated :
I think it has been dermined that it is not hit with a hammer as it

costs
£250.

So it seems, but nothing to stop you still hitting it with a hammer :-)

Be my guest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
Roger wrote more Rogerness:
An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of
bits or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely
mechanical. You engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a
hammer. Most commonly used on cars rather than houses.

Until drivels brother posed the question I thought such information was
common knowledge. ;-)

Everyone

** the senility must be snipped **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The OP mentioned impact driver and drill. Quite clear.

Not so. He mentioned an impact driver and then went onto mention drills
that have impact settings on them. A different thing.

He never. He said:
"I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a chuck?
What is the advantage?"

That is clear. He is on about drill driving, hammering, chuck. "does the
drill hammer". A drill. Your reading skills are poor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The new cordless impact tools

Now we learn that they are not simply an impact tool, but a cordless
impact tool.

Yep. Very clear. Boy are are dumb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:17:30 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:22:10 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:37:00 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

They are purely professional tools that is
why you don't see them in the DIY
sheds.

B&Q have the Makita ones.....

I haven't noticed

Wickes, who are a professional outlet
don't even sell them yet.

Hmmmm.......

Probably Kress don't have one yet.

Ah that would be it. Couldn't be that Wickes is just another DIY shed
with limited product range.

Wickes is geared for the trade. Go in one one day.

I have. They are not "geared for the trade".

Matt, you haven't been in one then.

** snip tripe **

While I wouldn't suggest that an 18v Ryobi tool is on a par with a 12v
product from a manufacturer, and I would probably say that an 18v
Ryobi tool is likely to have better batteries than a Fermerbauer
Champion Devil; it is not reasonable to assume that 18v Ryobi product
means very much in terms of performance.

Matt, you made all that up.

You had better ask Matt about that.

Matt you made it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of
bits
or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely mechanical. You
engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a hammer. Most commonly
used on cars rather than houses.

Until drivels brother posed the question I thought such information was
common knowledge. ;-)

seems half you lot are confusing two very different tools, and the intended
use.

Impact drivers

Building/construction

screwfix

http://tinyurl.com/a3yw7

Mechanics automotive tools

screwfix

http://tinyurl.com/7asw8

since the OP also asked about Drywall Drivers its reasonable to assume the
former.

Wow, what a thread when I came back. A good assumption, I did say
drill, so it was the power drill. Thanks for all the links and
explanations. If my drill/driver can't cope with large screws, then I
use a mains drill. That always does it. These impact drivers appear to
have the ability to ram in heavy screws without pilot holes all in one
go. That would be handy and save me time too. They sound good. When the
drill driver goes west I will definately go for one of these "impact
driver drills".

A cheap drywall drill would be handy, as I consider that a luxury, as I
don't board up all day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:50:50 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

The impact driver you mean (I believe) is the sort used commonly for undoing
door hinge screws on cars etc. A better alternative for those is the air
chisel mounted screwdriver. Snap on sell them and they are amazing at
removing even the most horribly rusted in screw (and very cheap!).

My local snap-on rep, even when totally desperate for a sale would
never refer to any of their products as very cheap :-)

The only thing that is cheap is their free catalogue, but that
ultimately leads sane men astray down the road of ever increasing
expensive shiny things in their toolboxes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

." wrote:

The impact driver you mean (I believe) is the sort used commonly for

undoing
door hinge screws on cars etc. A better alternative for those is the air
chisel mounted screwdriver. Snap on sell them and they are amazing at
removing even the most horribly rusted in screw (and very cheap!).

My local snap-on rep, even when totally desperate for a sale would
never refer to any of their products as very cheap :-)

The only thing that is cheap is their free catalogue, but that
ultimately leads sane men astray down the road of ever increasing
expensive shiny things in their toolboxes!

Lord Hall, good tools, but way over the top in price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Dave Plowman (News) typed:

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would
help.

I've got a 12 volt one which runs off the car battery. Can be useful
for some things, although it's really meant for loosening wheel nuts
after Kwik-Fit have been at them with their air tool set on kill.
Didn't cost anything like 250 quid, though.

NO. what you have is a 12v cigar lighter plug-in one of these
http://tinyurl.com/8a45q
A different tool completely, this is called an Impact Wrench.
Notice the 1/2 square drive.
the small battery Impact Drivers have a 1/4 _HEX_ drive to take a driver
bit.
FFS even Drivel know more about this then you.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Ah that would be it. Couldn't be that Wickes is just another DIY shed
with limited product range.

Matt, no. Wickes is geared for the trade. Go in one one day.

Bit of a worry, then, all those 'how to do' leaflets they have on display.
Is that why you go there?

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
They are a linsey-woolsey organisation if ever I saw one - sort of
being a DIY outlet but having a limited range, and sort of being a
trade outlet but again having a limited range of mediochre quality
things - e.g. the timber and the tools.

They were selling that Canadian constructional timber - the stuff with the
rounded corners. Had about 40 lengths in stock. And not one of them even
vaguely straight.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
It is a screwdriver for tightening and loosening extremely tight
screws, often used in engineering and mechanical trades.

Its not In this case..
Cordless impact drivers have been used in the construction industry for
years, primarily for erecting steel stud wall or anything that required
large screws driven into a hard materiel quickly, a conventional
drill/driver is next to useless in comparison.

They may well have been. But if you went into a decent tool shop and asked
for an *impact driver* you'd end up with the type you whack with a
hammer...

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would
help.

I've got a 12 volt one which runs off the car battery. Can be useful
for some things, although it's really meant for loosening wheel nuts
after Kwik-Fit have been at them with their air tool set on kill.
Didn't cost anything like 250 quid, though.

NO. what you have is a 12v cigar lighter plug-in one of these
http://tinyurl.com/8a45q
A different tool completely, this is called an Impact Wrench.

Which is what I have, but without the cigar lighter plug. It's an impact
wrench. If you hadn't snipped the text that would be clear. Here's the bit
I was referring to.

******************

From: Roger
Subject: Impact Drivers
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:05
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would help.

They do. Page 634/635 of the current catalogue. Not indexed - Impact
wrenches were which is how I found them.

********************

I'm not interested in what Screwfix call things - I'm quite clear what an
impact driver and impact wrench are.

Notice the 1/2 square drive. the small battery Impact Drivers have a 1/4
_HEX_ drive to take a driver bit.

Then they should find a new name for it.

FFS even Drivel know more about this then you.

You appear to know little about common tools too.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

dills. A 12v impact driver can outperform a 18 or 24v drill/driver in
driving screws. They cam be used as drills too, but are primarily designed

They are ar their best tightening and freeing nuts/bolts rather than
screws. That is why they typically have a 1/2" square drive on the end.

The most common type are pneumatic, and you typically see them in action
on wheel nuts when having wheels changed by a tyre service outfit.

to drive. An 18V impact driver can run in a 6" screw without any pilot

An 18V drill driver will do that just fine without impact (unless you
buy the toy ryobi/ppoo stuff).

They have not been around long and are very expensive with over £200 the

They have been around for *ages*. The electric cordless variety is a
more recent development - but the basic technology is stone age.

normal price. The cheapest is the 18v Ryobi at £70 with the battery extra

If you have a source of compressed air, then something like the clark
from machinemart is way cheaper at 25 quid

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2017&g=103

When the price drops and the cheaper DIY makes start making them, then the price will drop.

You say some powerfully dumb stuff.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:30:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
They are a linsey-woolsey organisation if ever I saw one - sort of
being a DIY outlet but having a limited range, and sort of being a
trade outlet but again having a limited range of mediochre quality
things - e.g. the timber and the tools.

They were selling that Canadian constructional timber - the stuff with the
rounded corners. Had about 40 lengths in stock. And not one of them even
vaguely straight.

I know. Occasionally I buy that stuff from a timber merchant for
resawing or thicknessing for certain projects. It can be a cheap way
to buy reasonable material easily. Generally the decent stuff from
major producers in Finland is OK.

However, the Wickes stuff, as you say, is utter crap. There would be
so little left after planing to straighten it, it isn't worth it.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
[about Wickes]
They are a linsey-woolsey organisation if ever I saw one - sort of
being a DIY outlet but having a limited range, and sort of being a
trade outlet but again having a limited range of mediochre quality
things - e.g. the timber and the tools.

A "sort of trade outlet" I agree with - the smaller odd-jobbers in
rusty old vans tend to go there - although there are good prices to
be had on some things, it's almost never worth driving around and
looking. If they had a prices website, it would be useful.

They were selling that Canadian constructional timber - the stuff with the
rounded corners. Had about 40 lengths in stock. And not one of them even
vaguely straight.

It doesn't really have to be straight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

John Rumm wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
An 18V impact driver can run in a 6" screw without any pilot

An 18V drill driver will do that just fine without impact (unless you
buy the toy ryobi/ppoo stuff).

What are you on about, girls? When did you ever need a 6"
screw?? Ulp! I'll leave the reply to others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

dills. A 12v impact driver can outperform a 18 or 24v drill/driver in
driving screws. They cam be used as drills too, but are primarily

designed

They are ar their best tightening and freeing nuts/bolts rather than
screws. That is why they typically have a 1/2" square drive on the end.

More confusion. The impact drivers a 1/4" hex shank. The 1/2" is for
impact wrenches. Sort of similar, but quite the same.

Impact drivers can drive screws and drill. They are small and light and
beat a drill/driver hands down. The downside is the noise and heafty price.
Only pros use them, so only the big rip-off makers produce them,.

to drive. An 18V impact driver can run in a 6" screw without any pilot

An 18V drill driver will do that just fine without impact (unless you
buy the toy ryobi/ppoo stuff).

It is clear you haven't driven 6" screws. Or smaller screws into hard wood.

They have not been around long and are very expensive with over £200 the

They have been around for *ages*. The electric cordless variety is a
more recent development

The cordless is the one in question, not the air guns.

normal price. The cheapest is the 18v Ryobi at £70 with the battery

extra

If you have a source of compressed air, then something like the clark
from machinemart is way cheaper at 25 quid

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2017&g=103

Please be serious.

When the price drops and the cheaper DIY makes start making them, then

the price will drop.

You say some powerfully dumb stuff.

It is clear you just don't know and you wrote the Power Tools FAQ? Read my
posts, the links and Mark's posts.

When my drill/driver dies, if the price has dropped I will consider an
"impact driver" drill with a detachable chuck. Always been on my wish list.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Ah that would be it. Couldn't be that Wickes is just another DIY shed
with limited product range.

Matt, no. Wickes is geared for the trade. Go in one one day.

Bit of a worry,

Richard you must not worry, you know it gives you brainache.

** snip senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Mark wrote:

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would
help.

I've got a 12 volt one which runs off the car battery. Can be useful
for some things, although it's really meant for loosening wheel nuts
after Kwik-Fit have been at them with their air tool set on kill.
Didn't cost anything like 250 quid, though.

NO. what you have is a 12v cigar lighter plug-in one of these
http://tinyurl.com/8a45q

A different tool completely, this is called an Impact Wrench.

Which is what I have, but without the cigar lighter plug. It's an impact
wrench. If you hadn't snipped the text that would be clear. Here's the bit
I was referring to.

It is clear Richard here doesn't know what an impact driver is. As do most
here on this thread.

** snip senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:30:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
They are a linsey-woolsey organisation if ever I saw one - sort of
being a DIY outlet but having a limited range, and sort of being a
trade outlet but again having a limited range of mediochre quality
things - e.g. the timber and the tools.

They were selling that Canadian constructional timber - the stuff with

the
rounded corners. Had about 40 lengths in stock. And not one of them even
vaguely straight.

I know. Occasionally I buy that stuff from a timber merchant for
resawing or thicknessing for certain projects. It can be a cheap way
to buy reasonable material easily. Generally the decent stuff from
major producers in Finland is OK.

However, the Wickes stuff, as you say, is utter crap. There would be
so little left after planing to straighten it, it isn't worth it.

Matt, I bought some wood there and it was straight as a die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
An 18V impact driver can run in a 6" screw without any pilot

An 18V drill driver will do that just fine without impact (unless you
buy the toy ryobi/ppoo stuff).

What are you on about, girls? When did you ever need a 6"
screw??

Recently I drove in about 300 them. I used a pilot hole, drill/driver to
start and a Kress/Wickes SDS, without hammer action, to slowly drive the
screw in. The Bosch drill/driver could not cope. An 18v drill/driver could
not drive in a 4 or 6" screw without a pilot hole, an impact driver can,
doing the job in a fraction of the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
They were selling that Canadian constructional timber - the stuff with
the rounded corners. Had about 40 lengths in stock. And not one of
them even vaguely straight.

It doesn't really have to be straight.

Perhaps not for your standards.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
zymurgy wrote:

mrcheerful wrote:

Impact screwdrivers are the business,
You need one if you do more than a very occasional diy job.

I've never needed one, as every time I need one, I always find a way
around it, using screwdriver bits held in a 3/8" adaptor, tapping +
plus gas + a lot of pressure.

Since then i've also bought an air impact wrench.

That's not to say a manual one wouldn't be useful though to a self Confessed tool-a-holic

Nothing wrong with being a tool-a-holic, Paul. Acknowledging it in
public is the first step to a cure :-) Every day and every way
etc....

If you want of course ;-)

Ah, but would I ever want to be cured ;-)

I was walking around the car boot sale the other day, and picked up yet
another socket. SWMBO says 'why are you buying another one of those' ?
And my response is 'Cos it's Britool/Snap-On/Stahlwille etc !

So does anyone need a 1 ¼" Britool socket. I have about 3 at last
count

Cheers,

P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
They may well have been. But if you went into a decent tool shop and
asked for an *impact driver* you'd end up with the type you whack with
a hammer...

You wouldn't.

Not surprisingly you've never been to a decent tool shop, then.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
However, the Wickes stuff, as you say, is utter crap. There would be
so little left after planing to straighten it, it isn't worth it.

Matt, I bought some wood there and it was straight as a die.

So you've never actually been to a Wicks either, then?

Their 'timber' is the worst - and that's saying something - of all the
sheds.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
They are ar their best tightening and freeing nuts/bolts rather than
screws. That is why they typically have a 1/2" square drive on the
end.

Wrong, different tool and intended use.

They are essentially the same, in principle at least. You can buy adaptors
from 1/2" square drive to hex. Would make the tool less wieldy, but the
performance would be near enough the same.

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Its got nothing to do with screwfix, that's what the manufactures call
them. Did you even bother to look at any of the links I provided, if you
had you would realise that there is more then one tool on the market now
called an Impact Driver with completely different intended use, and not
to confuse either of the above with an Impact Wrench which you seem to
be.

I don't need to look at maker's websites to know what an impact driver is
- and neither, apparently, do the vast majority of others replying to this
thread. I don't give a toss if the name has been hi-jacked. An impact
driver will continue to mean what it is. If you want to call it an impact
drill driver that would be ok. But it's basically just an impact wrench
with a different chuck.

Notice the 1/2 square drive. the small battery Impact Drivers have a
1/4 _HEX_ drive to take a driver bit.

Then they should find a new name for it.

Why, most tradesmen seem to be able to cope with new tools and the
resulting terminology even if you cant.

In my 'trade' we make very sure not to call two different things by the
same name. Would lead to all sorts of confusion...
And the impact driver has been around for a very long time - long before
cordless tools were invented.

Besides, this is a DIY group and we like to call things by their correct
names. Or thingie, of course.

FFS even Drivel know more about this then you.

You appear to know little about common tools too.

Quite possibly, but obviously considerably more then you,
I think you should stick to bickering with drivel,
and then I can safely put you back in my killfile.

Why do you think anyone is interested about the contents of your killfile?

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
They may well have been. But if you went into a decent tool shop and
asked for an *impact driver* you'd end up with the type you whack with
a hammer...

Only if it was a Thick Prat behind the counter who had never heard of
these. http://tinyurl.com/9htyt

Ok. So what would you ask for if you wanted an 'original' impact driver?

'Excuse me, pal'

'Yes, sir?'

I'd like one of those thingies you whack with a hammer to loosen tight
screws or nuts'

'Would sir mean a chisel or punch, sir?'

'No, it takes either a screw bit or a socket and sort of impacts it round
to free it'

'Ah - sir means an impact driver'

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Mark" wrote in message
John Rumm typed:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

dills. A 12v impact driver can outperform a 18 or 24v drill/driver
in driving screws. They cam be used as drills too, but are primarily
designed

They are are their best tightening and
freeing nuts/bolts rather than
screws. That is why they typically have
a 1/2" square drive on the end.

Wrong,

Right.

different tool and intended use.
Do read
http://tinyurl.com/9htyt
and try and keep up

It is clear by what you write, that you only have half a clue at best. From
the above link, which I have given already...

Cordless Impact Drivers vs. Cordless Drills - How Do They Compare?

"Although they look like a smaller replica, don't confuse a cordless impact
driver with a standard cordless drill or hammerdrill. The biggest difference
is inside. Unlike a cordless drill - which creates continuous in-line
torque - a cordless impact driver uses an internal spring-loaded pulsating
cam and gear mechanism to create rotational torque. In simple terms, the
effect is similar to that of a hammer wrapping on a wrench to loosen a
stubborn lug nut, only faster."

Cordless Impact Wrenches

"The basic difference between cordless impact drivers and cordless impact
wrenches is the chuck configuration. Impact drivers have a chuck which
accepts 1/4 inch hex-shank bits for screwdriving, drilling, and nut driving.
A cordless impact wrench uses a 3/8 inch or a 1/2 inch square anvil
primarily for driving impact sockets. In addition, the wrenches develop more
torque. Today's cordless impact wrenches, like the ones from DeWALT, now
have enough power to rival many corded electric wrenches, a big plus when
you're up on a lift away from an outlet.
The type of work you're doing will dictate which category to choose - driver
or wrench. For example, if most of your work involves driving self tapping
sheet metal screws or deck screws, an impact driver would be right for you.
If most of your work involves driving large lag bolts or bolting pipe
couplings, a dedicated cordless impact wrench would be a better choice.
Although a cordless impact driver can be fitted with a socket adaptor, the
larger square shaft of the impact wrench will prove more durable for heavy
duty applications."

So, "Impact Divers", do hard driving and can do drilling too. Some have a
detyachable chuck. One model is switchable from a dril/driver to an impact
driver. Check drill specs before buying

Some "Impact Wrenchs" have fixed 3/8" or 1/2" shanks to take sockest ad the
likes.

Some "Impact Drivers" may have 3/8 or 1/2 adaptors, so it can be used as
both. The "drill/driver - Impact Driver" Panasonic can be used for all
functions with suitable adaptors. Not cheap, but maybe worth it if all
functions are used regularly.

Now you know, you can update the FAQ.