DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Impact Drivers (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/133484-impact-drivers.html)

[email protected] November 30th 05 12:43 AM

Impact Drivers

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

david lang November 30th 05 12:59 AM

Impact Drivers

wrote:
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know
what that is?

As I understand it, an impact driver is a drill driver that uses impact in
the rotary sense to increase torque, that is, it does hammer, but not back &
forth.

Dave

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 05 01:32 AM

Impact Drivers

In article . com,
wrote:
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of bits
or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely mechanical. You
engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a hammer. Most commonly
used on cars rather than houses.

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would help.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

EricP November 30th 05 01:42 AM

Impact Drivers

On 29 Nov 2005 16:43:31 -0800, wrote:

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

If it looks like a miniature grease gun, its a thing you put a bit of
some sort in the front, hold firmly over a nut or screw and whack very
hard with a hammer on the large end.

The wack is converted into rotary motion and combined with the force
of the whack, frees the nut/screw. ( you hope)

Rob Morley November 30th 05 05:47 AM

Impact Drivers

In article . com,
says...
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage?

It's the equivalent of hitting a spanner with a hammer to shock a
fitting loose (or tight). When the nut/bolt is loose it spins to drive
it, when it's tight it hammers. You've probably seen an air-powered
version being used in KwikFit. The manual version is used with a hammer
- when you hit it on the end some of the force drives the bit against
the screwhead and some is converted to rotation to turn the screw
slightly.

Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

Drywall drivers have a depth stop that activates a clutch so you can't
drive screws too far and split the paper facing on plasterboard. The
cheapo version is just a bit with a fixed collar that makes it slip out
of the screw head at a certain depth.

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 09:37 AM

Impact Drivers

"Dave Plowman (News)" througha haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article . com,
wrote:

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of bits
or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely mechanical. You
engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a hammer. Most commonly
used on cars rather than houses.

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would help.

Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An impact
driver in this sense, is a drill/driver that has a "rotational" hammer
action. When no resistance to the screw it spins, resistance, and then the
hammer action comes in. The action cannot be turned off, like in hammers
dills. A 12v impact driver can outperform a 18 or 24v drill/driver in
driving screws. They cam be used as drills too, but are primarily designed
to drive. An 18V impact driver can run in a 6" screw without any pilot
hole. Even smaller voltages can do the same. They also don't chew up
screws as much as normal drill/drivers. They are

They are purely professional tools that is why you don't see them in the DIY
sheds. Wickes, who are a professional outlet don't even sell them yet.
They have not been around long and are very expensive with over £200 the
normal price. The cheapest is the 18v Ryobi at £70 with the battery extra
(the one battery fits all system). Two batteries and a charger would be
about £60, making the cheapest around £130, or even cheaper using just one
battery. Because of the hammer action they do not take a lot out of the
battery compared to a drill/driver. They tend not to have a chuck just a
1/4" hex socket for driver bits and drills. Some versions have a detachable
chuck. In the US there is an angled version available, made by Ridgid.

They take a little bit of getting used to but are brilliant when you have
the knack. Stretching out from a ladder, a screw can be driven in with no
problems. If doing a lot of driving, they are the business. I prefer one of
these with a detachable chuck to a normal drill/driver. When the price
drops and the cheaper DIY makes start making them, then the price will drop.

mrcheerful November 30th 05 09:56 AM

Impact Drivers

wrote in message
ups.com...
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

Impact screwdrivers are the business, there are now cheap ones available,
but I haven't tried a cheapy, my one is an ELU that machine mart were
selling so cheap it was ridiculous, I wish I had bought several, but at the
time I didn't realise really what they did!

You need one if you do more than a very occasional diy job.

mrcheerful

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 05 11:05 AM

Impact Drivers

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of
bits or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely
mechanical. You engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a
hammer. Most commonly used on cars rather than houses.

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would
help.

Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An impact
driver

[snip misleading rubbish]

Didn't expect you'd know what one is. Look at the other posts, dribble. If
Screwfix decide to hijack the name for something else, take it up with
them.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 11:11 AM

Impact Drivers

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of
bits or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely
mechanical. You engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a
hammer. Most commonly used on cars rather than houses.

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would
help.

Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An impact
driver

[snip misleading rubbish]

Richard here is snipping info he never knew.

Didn't expect you'd know what one is. Look at the other posts, dribble. If
Screwfix decide to hijack the name for something else, take it up with
them.

Richard Cranium, the OP mentioned Screwfix, and a drill and things. You
don't have a clue what an impact driver is.

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 12:31 PM

Impact Drivers

reenews.net...

wrote:

[...]

A review. One Panasonic model is a drill./driver and an impact driver, but
around £450 in the UK. This test rates the Ryobi, which is well priced.

Bob Eager November 30th 05 01:13 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote:

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of bits
or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely mechanical. You
engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a hammer. Most commonly
used on cars rather than houses.

Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An impact
driver in this sense, is a drill/driver that has a "rotational" hammer
action.

Someone may have called such a thing an 'impact driver'. But the purely
mechanical ones have been around a long time. I bought one 40 years ago
and still use it; it lives in a box (that it came in) with 'Impact
Driver' printed on it.

So there.

Bob Eager November 30th 05 01:18 PM

Impact Drivers

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:31:46 UTC, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An impact
driver in this sense, is a drill/driver that has a "rotational" hammer
action.

Impact drivers, purely mechanical, have been around for many years. Take
a look at the picture, Drivel.

http://www.tavi.co.uk/impact.jpg

Kevin November 30th 05 01:18 PM

Impact Drivers

EricP wrote:
On 29 Nov 2005 16:43:31 -0800, wrote:

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

If it looks like a miniature grease gun, its a thing you put a bit of
some sort in the front, hold firmly over a nut or screw and whack very
hard with a hammer on the large end.

The wack is converted into rotary motion and combined with the force
of the whack, frees the nut/screw. ( you hope)

That is exactly what I would have said an impact driver was. Probabley
the very first tool that I ever bought 40 years ago as it was
absolutely essential to get the very tight screws of a motorcycle
engine.

Kevin

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 01:31 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote:

[...]

The OP mentioned impact driver and drill. Quite clear.

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 01:32 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote:

Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An

impact
driver in this sense, is a drill/driver that has a "rotational" hammer
action.

Impact drivers, purely mechanical, have been around for many years. Take
a look at the picture, Drivel.

I know all about mechanical drivers. The OP mentioned drills.

Mark November 30th 05 01:40 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote in message
ups.com...
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

See

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/pr...ase.asp?ID=832

never intended for fixing small wood screws,

up a ladder or anywhere else.

-

Andy Hall November 30th 05 01:45 PM

Impact Drivers

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:37:00 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

They are purely professional tools that is why you don't see them in the DIY
sheds.

B&Q have the Makita ones.....

Wickes, who are a professional outlet don't even sell them yet.

Hmmmm.......

They have not been around long and are very expensive with over £200 the
normal price.

The larger cordless ones are over £200. Whether that is expensive is a
matter of opinion. There are smaller ones at about £160

which are quite respectable in terms of performance.

The cheapest is the 18v Ryobi at £70 with the battery extra
(the one battery fits all system). Two batteries and a charger would be
about £60, making the cheapest around £130, or even cheaper using just one
battery. Because of the hammer action they do not take a lot out of the
battery compared to a drill/driver. They tend not to have a chuck just a
1/4" hex socket for driver bits and drills. Some versions have a detachable
chuck. In the US there is an angled version available, made by Ridgid.

Ridgid is the Home Depot brand and is made by the Chinese Techtronic
Industries company, just like Ryobi.

--

..andy

EricP November 30th 05 02:06 PM

Impact Drivers

On 30 Nov 2005 05:18:49 -0800, "Kevin" wrote:

EricP wrote:
[...]

Brother!

Embraces long-lost Kevin!

:))

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 02:22 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote:

They are purely professional tools that is
why you don't see them in the DIY
sheds.

B&Q have the Makita ones.....

I haven't noticed

Wickes, who are a professional outlet
don't even sell them yet.

Hmmmm.......

Probably Kress don't have one yet. They are so expensive with a limited
market, that is takes some thinking about before spending on R&D for a
company like Kress. Their drill/driver/angle drill is high torque and can
"most" of what the impact drivers can do. To buy an impact driver you really
need to need it. They also make a racket.

They have not been around long
and are very expensive with over £200 the
normal price.

The larger cordless ones are over £200.
Whether that is expensive is a
matter of opinion. There are smaller
ones at about £160

That has just been dropped £30

which are quite respectable in terms of performance.

The beefier 18v Ryobi is the better option at that price. After all you
need power with these things. They are primarily design to drive. The Ryobi
gets good reports.

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 05 02:23 PM

Impact Drivers

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An
impact driver

[snip misleading rubbish]

[snip more crap]

Didn't expect you'd know what one is. Look at the other posts,
dribble. If Screwfix decide to hijack the name for something else,
take it up with them.

the OP mentioned Screwfix, and a drill and things. You don't have a clue
what an impact driver is.

I doubt you know a decent tool shop, but if you find one ask for an impact
driver and see what you get.
That you didn't know what one was just shows you've never used anything
other than a hacksaw - everyone else here is perfectly clear what they
are.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 02:32 PM

Impact Drivers

"Mark" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

See

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/pr...ase.asp?ID=832

never intended for fixing small wood screws,

They can fix small screws.

up a ladder or anywhere else.

They can be used up a ladder, as these trades tend to use ladders:

"The new cordless impact tools are designed for professionals on the job
site and in the shop including HVAC installers, garage door installers,
sprinkler fitters, general contractors, elevator mechanics, electricians,
steel framers, carpenters, and automotive mechanics who want faster
productivity for their fastening and driving applications"

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 02:41 PM

Impact Drivers

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Would you believe it, Richard Cranium hasn't a clue as usual. An
impact driver

I doubt you know a decent tool
shop, but if you find one ask for an impact
driver and see what you get.

I'm sure it will be a drill.

** snip confused senility **

[email protected] November 30th 05 04:59 PM

Impact Drivers

mrcheerful
. wrote:

Impact screwdrivers are the business, there are now cheap ones available,
but I haven't tried a cheapy, my one is an ELU that machine mart were
selling so cheap it was ridiculous, I wish I had bought several, but at the
time I didn't realise really what they did!

You need one if you do more than a very occasional diy job.

I've never needed one, as every time I need one, I always find a way
around it, using screwdriver bits held in a 3/8" adaptor, tapping +
plus gas + a lot of pressure.

Since then i've also bought an air impact wrench.

That's not to say a manual one wouldn't be useful though to a self
confessed tool-a-holic.

Cheers

Paul.

Andy Hall November 30th 05 05:01 PM

Impact Drivers

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:22:10 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

They are purely professional tools that is
why you don't see them in the DIY
sheds.

B&Q have the Makita ones.....

I haven't noticed

Wickes, who are a professional outlet
don't even sell them yet.

Hmmmm.......

Probably Kress don't have one yet.

Ah that would be it. Couldn't be that Wickes is just another DIY shed
with limited product range.

They are so expensive with a limited
market, that is takes some thinking about before spending on R&D for a
company like Kress.

Oh I see.

Their drill/driver/angle drill is high torque and can
"most" of what the impact drivers can do. To buy an impact driver you really
need to need it. They also make a racket.

They have not been around long
and are very expensive with over £200 the
normal price.

The larger cordless ones are over £200.
Whether that is expensive is a
matter of opinion. There are smaller
ones at about £160

That has just been dropped £30

which are quite respectable in terms of performance.

The beefier 18v Ryobi is the better option at that price. After all you
need power with these things. They are primarily design to drive. The Ryobi
gets good reports.

While I wouldn't suggest that an 18v Ryobi tool is on a par with a 12v
product from a manufacturer, and I would probably say that an 18v
Ryobi tool is likely to have better batteries than a Fermerbauer
Champion Devil; it is not reasonable to assume that 18v Ryobi product
means very much in terms of performance.

--

..andy

Andy Hall November 30th 05 05:02 PM

Impact Drivers

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:32:52 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"The new cordless impact tools are designed for professionals on the job
site and in the shop including HVAC installers, garage door installers,
sprinkler fitters, general contractors, elevator mechanics, electricians,
steel framers, carpenters, and automotive mechanics who want faster
productivity for their fastening and driving applications"

I see. So nobody else should buy one in that case...

--

..andy

mrcheerful November 30th 05 05:50 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote in message
ups.com...
mrcheerful
. wrote:

Impact screwdrivers are the business, there are now cheap ones available,
but I haven't tried a cheapy, my one is an ELU that machine mart were
selling so cheap it was ridiculous, I wish I had bought several, but at
the
time I didn't realise really what they did!

You need one if you do more than a very occasional diy job.

I've never needed one, as every time I need one, I always find a way
around it, using screwdriver bits held in a 3/8" adaptor, tapping +
plus gas + a lot of pressure.

Since then i've also bought an air impact wrench.

That's not to say a manual one wouldn't be useful though to a self
confessed tool-a-holic.

Cheers

Paul.

I think you miss the point, these (cordless impact screwdrivers) are
specifically designed for installing and removing screws (particularly
woodscrews) at great speed without the need for pilot holes in most cases.
I also use them on screws on engine cases etc.

The impact driver you mean (I believe) is the sort used commonly for undoing
door hinge screws on cars etc. A better alternative for those is the air
chisel mounted screwdriver. Snap on sell them and they are amazing at
removing even the most horribly rusted in screw (and very cheap!).

mrcheerful

Roger November 30th 05 06:06 PM

Impact Drivers

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of bits
or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely mechanical. You
engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a hammer. Most commonly
used on cars rather than houses.

Until drivels brother posed the question I thought such information was
common knowledge. ;-)

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would help.

They do. Page 634/635 of the current catalogue. Not indexed - Impact
wrenches were which is how I found them.

"Impact mechanism uses rotary impacts to generate extremely high torque"
is the description on the DeWalt jobbie. (Only £249.96.) Seems a bit odd
asking the question in the first place when it is there in black and
white but what would you expect from drivels brother?

--
Roger Chapman

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 06:17 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote:

They are purely professional tools that is
why you don't see them in the DIY
sheds.

B&Q have the Makita ones.....

I haven't noticed

Wickes, who are a professional outlet
don't even sell them yet.

Hmmmm.......

Probably Kress don't have one yet.

Ah that would be it. Couldn't be that Wickes is just another DIY shed
with limited product range.

Matt, no. Wickes is geared for the trade. Go in one one day.

They are so expensive with a limited
market, that is takes some thinking about before spending on R&D for a
company like Kress.

Oh I see.

That is encouraging.

[...]

Matt, you made all that up.

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 06:26 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote:

"The new cordless impact tools are designed for professionals on the job
site and in the shop including HVAC installers, garage door installers,
sprinkler fitters, general contractors, elevator mechanics, electricians,
steel framers, carpenters, and automotive mechanics who want faster
productivity for their fastening and driving applications"

I see. So nobody else should buy one in that case...

Matt, certainly not you, as you can hurt yourself.

Mark November 30th 05 06:45 PM

Impact Drivers

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of
bits
or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely mechanical. You
engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a hammer. Most commonly
used on cars rather than houses.

Until drivels brother posed the question I thought such information was
common knowledge. ;-)

seems half you lot are confusing two very different tools, and the intended
use.

Impact drivers

Building/construction

screwfix

http://tinyurl.com/a3yw7

Mechanics automotive tools

screwfix

http://tinyurl.com/7asw8

since the OP also asked about Drywall Drivers its reasonable to assume the
former.

-

Harry Bloomfield November 30th 05 07:00 PM

Impact Drivers

brought next idea :
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

It is a screwdriver for tightening and loosening extremely tight
screws, often used in engineering and mechanical trades. They usually
take the form of a holder with interchangable bits for different screw
types/sizes. They are designed to be hit with a hammer, when a short
spiral imparts a sharp turning force upon the screw.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 05 07:12 PM

Impact Drivers

In article ,
Roger wrote:
An impact driver is usually a screwdriver which can take a variety of
bits or sockets and has a cam mechanism within. It's purely
mechanical. You engage it on the screw or nut and whack it with a
hammer. Most commonly used on cars rather than houses.

Until drivels brother posed the question I thought such information was
common knowledge. ;-)

Everyone else here seems to agree. Of course dribble doesn't use tools but
only drools over them in catalogues. So it's no surprise he doesn't know
even common stuff.

Of course Screwfix may mean something else - if so a reference would
help.

They do. Page 634/635 of the current catalogue. Not indexed - Impact
wrenches were which is how I found them.

Ah - a very different thing.

"Impact mechanism uses rotary impacts to generate extremely high torque"
is the description on the DeWalt jobbie. (Only £249.96.) Seems a bit odd
asking the question in the first place when it is there in black and
white but what would you expect from drivels brother?

I've got a 12 volt one which runs off the car battery. Can be useful for
some things, although it's really meant for loosening wheel nuts after
Kwik-Fit have been at them with their air tool set on kill. Didn't cost
anything like 250 quid, though.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 07:18 PM

Impact Drivers

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
brought next idea :
I see these in the Screwfix catalogue, Impact Drivers. Anyone know what
that is? Does the drill hammer? Is it just a drill/driver without a
chuck? What is the advantage? Also, Drywall Drivers, also in Screwfix,
what do they do over a drill/driver? If a tool can save me time, effort
and produces a better quality job, then I am always interested.

It is a screwdriver for tightening and loosening extremely tight
screws, often used in engineering and mechanical trades. They usually
take the form of a holder with interchangable bits for different screw
types/sizes. They are designed to be hit with a hammer, when a short
spiral imparts a sharp turning force upon the screw.

I think it has been dermined that it is not hit with a hammer as it costs
£250.

Doctor Drivel November 30th 05 07:48 PM

Impact Drivers

"Mark" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of

senile flatulence wrote these words:

[...]

This is a good desciption:
http://tinyurl.com/9htyt

Dave November 30th 05 07:52 PM

Impact Drivers

Doctor Drivel wrote:

You don't have a clue what an impact driver is.

You do not recognize a descriptive and accurate definition, when it hits
you in the face.

Having worked in engineering for over 40 odd years, an impact driver is
as Dave describes. You whack it with a hammer and it puts a turning
motion on the object of your desires.

If a manufacturer wants to introduce an electrically driven one, then
the name should suggest that it is electrically driven. i.e.
Electrically driven impact driver.

Impact means that it gets impacted. It does not specify by what means
the impact takes place. Air driven impact drivers have been in use at
most garages for as long as I can remember, but they are called air
driven impact guns, when described by their Sunday name ;-)

Get it?

Case closed

Dave

Dave November 30th 05 07:54 PM

Impact Drivers

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

Impact drivers, purely mechanical, have been around for many years. Take
a look at the picture, Drivel.

I know all about mechanical drivers. The OP mentioned drills.

Where?

Dave

Harry Bloomfield November 30th 05 07:57 PM

Impact Drivers

It happens that Doctor Drivel formulated :
I think it has been dermined that it is not hit with a hammer as it costs
£250.

So it seems, but nothing to stop you still hitting it with a hammer :-)

Dave November 30th 05 07:58 PM

Impact Drivers

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The OP mentioned impact driver and drill. Quite clear.

Not so. He mentioned an impact driver and then went onto mention drills
that have impact settings on them. A different thing.

By the way, how old are you?

You should be OK when you are 5 years old :-)

Dave

Dave November 30th 05 08:08 PM

Impact Drivers

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The new cordless impact tools

Now we learn that they are not simply an impact tool, but a cordless
impact tool.

Sheesh, do you not understand the English language?

Dave

Andy Hall November 30th 05 08:09 PM

Impact Drivers

wrote:

They are purely professional tools that is
why you don't see them in the DIY
sheds.

B&Q have the Makita ones.....

I haven't noticed

Wickes, who are a professional outlet
don't even sell them yet.

Hmmmm.......

Probably Kress don't have one yet.

Ah that would be it. Couldn't be that Wickes is just another DIY shed
with limited product range.

Wickes is geared for the trade. Go in one one day.

I have. They are not "geared for the trade".

They are a linsey-woolsey organisation if ever I saw one - sort of
being a DIY outlet but having a limited range, and sort of being a
trade outlet but again having a limited range of mediochre quality
things - e.g. the timber and the tools.

While I wouldn't suggest that an 18v Ryobi tool is on a par with a 12v
product from a manufacturer, and I would probably say that an 18v
Ryobi tool is likely to have better batteries than a Fermerbauer
Champion Devil; it is not reasonable to assume that 18v Ryobi product
means very much in terms of performance.

Matt, you made all that up.

You had better ask Matt about that.

It's pretty obvious that one major cost element is batteries and the
other is the mechanics and design, material and quality control
thereof.

Given that reality, it isn't that hard to figure out that you get what
you pay for.

--

..andy