Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need to leave window open , but keep heat out!

Hi , this is going to sound daft but..

I need to keep the heat in (it's cold outside)

I need to keep the window open.

there is a small 30cm satellite dish on the window sill I need for sky
digital (the tv reception here is appalling - dreadful - you can barely
make out the shapes on the screen)

This dish is realy really small - unbelievable

With the window open , how can I keep the heat out.

Are there any really 'heavy' curtains or anything.

Incredibly, despite the temperature difference it's not *too* bad.

I use a sheet of fabric to cover the hole in the wall (light proof
curtain lining from john lewis).

As well as that I draw the curtain.

Any suggestions please?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy

Forgot to say:

- I rent

- Window is above 2nd floor on private fenced courtyard with CCTV

Window is approx 1.5 metres high, 1.4 meters wide

Maybe I can buy a sheet of persex/acrylic glass the same size as the
hole in the wall?

I'm new to diy... forgive me for asking.. do I go to B & Q for this?

Andy wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi , this is going to sound daft but..

I need to keep the heat in (it's cold outside)

I need to keep the window open.

there is a small 30cm satellite dish on the window sill I need for sky
digital (the tv reception here is appalling - dreadful - you can barely
make out the shapes on the screen)

This dish is realy really small - unbelievable

With the window open , how can I keep the heat out.

Are there any really 'heavy' curtains or anything.

Incredibly, despite the temperature difference it's not *too* bad.

I use a sheet of fabric to cover the hole in the wall (light proof
curtain lining from john lewis).

As well as that I draw the curtain.

Any suggestions please?!

You need a better solution than this: it is a security risk for a start. Any
reason why you cannot mount the dish externally and feed the cable through
the window frame?

If this is not possible, Option 1 is to source a big rectangle of styrofoam
( not expanded polystyrene ) cut slightly oversize vis a vis the window.
Then place the dish outside and squeeze the styrofoam into place.

Option 2 is to make a secondary window frame to fit within the existing
frame when open. It need not be a big deal, get some wood and using
appropriate stripwood/beading build up a secondary window frame with a sheet
of acrylic glazing it, which will be a plugfit into the existing open
window: it could all be done with the lengths of stripwood you get in those
selection drawers in the DIY warehouses. Use small panel pins/glue to hold
the beading in place, larger panel pins/glue to hold the L profile frame
stripwood together. Drill hole in frame to accept aerial cable and voila! If
you're accurate enough you could make the frame a pushfit, otherwise you'll
need to think up a way of locking it to the existing frame. Will take most
of a day to do, from driving off to get the materials to having something
workable to put in position.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Haam Sup Lo

the signal should go through the glass, so you potentially could mount the
dish indoors completely.
If signal attenuation is too much, a bigger dish will do it.

I have a 10mm hole in my window frame that the cable goes through - It'll be
easy to polyfiller in later.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi , this is going to sound daft but..

I need to keep the heat in (it's cold outside)

I need to keep the window open.

there is a small 30cm satellite dish on the window sill I need for sky
digital (the tv reception here is appalling - dreadful - you can barely
make out the shapes on the screen)

This dish is realy really small - unbelievable

With the window open , how can I keep the heat out.

Are there any really 'heavy' curtains or anything.

Incredibly, despite the temperature difference it's not *too* bad.

I use a sheet of fabric to cover the hole in the wall (light proof
curtain lining from john lewis).

As well as that I draw the curtain.

Any suggestions please?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 18 Nov 2005 15:02:24 -0800, wrote:

| Hi , this is going to sound daft but..
|

| I need to keep the heat in (it's cold outside)
|
| I need to keep the window open.
|
| there is a small 30cm satellite dish on the window sill I need for sky
| digital (the tv reception here is appalling - dreadful - you can barely
| make out the shapes on the screen)
|
| This dish is realy really small - unbelievable
|

| With the window open , how can I keep the heat out.
|
| Are there any really 'heavy' curtains or anything.

| Incredibly, despite the temperature difference it's not *too* bad.
|

| I use a sheet of fabric to cover the hole in the wall (light proof
| curtain lining from john lewis).
|
| As well as that I draw the curtain.

A sat dish will receive a signal through *plain* glass, but not through
the more modern heat saving glass.

uk.tech.digital-tv is thataway
They know more about sat reception than I do.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sat Ch4, Ch5, only GBP20
http://www.freesatfromsky.com - "what is freesat?" - "view T&C" -

It's ddouble glazing

yep, i'm using freesat from sky . got my box for £99 from simply
digital.co.uk

outstanding value! no more subscription fees!!

My landlord in a company. I live in keyworker accommodation. each room
is like a tiny rabbit hutch, yet I pay £500+ per month (cos it's
London)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi , this is going to sound daft but..

I need to keep the heat in (it's cold outside)

I need to keep the window open.

there is a small 30cm satellite dish on the window sill I need for sky
digital (the tv reception here is appalling - dreadful - you can barely
make out the shapes on the screen)

Would something like this be of any use?

http://www.daveswebshop.com/d911.shtml

It is a flat cable (about 2-3mm thick (from memory, the last time I saw
one!)

I have no idea if it will drastically affect the signal, but as it is quite
short, I would think it will be OK.

If your windows have a rubber type seal, it may be possible to close the
window on it (and it is only about £4 so no great loss if it doesn't!)

You will also need a short normal co-ax (with F connectors on) to go from
the dish to this thing, then use your original cable top go to the set top
box.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The window has atleast 2 panes and is the heat saving ones.

This may sound crazy, but I don't care about having the window open if
I can have my digital tv! It's worth it.

Plus the wall is really thick (i.e. the window sill is very deep/wide)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

[...]

Maybe you have misunderstood me here!
This thing is designed to be **** in the window, (I am assuming the cable is
through an open window at the moment, and this is the problem)

Or have I misunderstood you here, and the dish is actually inside the house,
pointing out of a fully opened window? - if so, can you not fix it outside
somehow, and use the cable I suggested?

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe you have misunderstood me here!
This thing is designed to be **** in the window, (I am assuming the cable is
through an open window at the moment, and this is the problem)

Or have I misunderstood you here, and the dish is actually inside the house,
pointing out of a fully opened window? - if so, can you not fix it outside
somehow, and use the cable I suggested?

Hi.

the dish must be inside with the window open (very thick windows)

the tenancy agreement bans the dish being installed externally

l live in a large keyworker/student complex (maybe a thousand people)

my monthly rent incudes my electricity

the tv reception (without skydigital) is so bad you have to user your
imagination to figure out what is supposed to be on the screen. (I've
tried using a booster, other aerials etc)

So I gave the Kerstan 30cm dish a chance and bingo - cystal clear sky
digital.

I suppose I only need the window open for about 2 hours a night... not
too bad