Bob Valor

Default Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage over a roll type in a one window bathroom?

Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage in a one window
bathroom?

We live in Los Angeles. We have a bathroom with no other ventilation
than one window. The existing roll/crank full frame window is due to
be changed. It would seem that a double hung window would allow for an
upper air stream and a lower air stream.

However, by definition the double hung window would have an air
blockage space in the middle of the window. And a roll crank window
would open the entire window out and have a maximum aperture.
Then again, the double hung would allow for a fan to be put in the
upper portion of the window and blow out the moist post shower air.

We are willing to pay for the best quality or best value to cost in
replacing the window.

Are there any clear guidelines as to which type is more functional to
allow the greatest air flow and fan function applicability to a one
window bathroom such as ours ?

Bob
Joseph Meehan

Bob Valor wrote:
[...]

Simply put, it depends on too many factors for a simple answer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Those casements would act as air scoops and exhaust if installed with
the prevailing wind direction in mind.
CRS architects used this approach in Texas schools.
TB

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob Valor" wrote in message
Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage in a one window
bathroom?

It would seem that a double hung window would allow for an
upper air stream and a lower air stream.

In theory this is correct. In practice, most people never open the widows
fro topand bottom. Many have triple track screen/storm windows and in the
screen down position, the top is blocked by the storm window.

IMO, I'd go with what looks best and works for your situation. The amount of
ventilation has not been a problem for my two baths with double hung and
only opened from the bottom.

Are there any clear guidelines as to which type is more functional to
allow the greatest air flow and fan function applicability to a one
window bathroom such as ours ?

Yes, if it stinks really bad, consider changing your diet. Eggs and beer,
beans, sauerkraut should be eaten in moderation. Open window, close door in
consideration of the other family members.

Bob Valor

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:49:11 GMT, RobertPatrick
wrote:

Bob Valor wrote in
:

[...]

My whole house has casement windows that crank out to the side. Does yours
crank out from the bottom? If it's the side crank I've gotta tell you it's
hotter than hell in the house. Any breeze that manages to come along, and
it deflects off the window and won't come inside.
Rob

Mine cranks, at this time, from the bottom right. It is a wood window
and the window has become misshapen over time. There is no privacy
concern at all. And no stink. Just no other ventilation. If there is a
half window blower that fits in the window and would exhaust the moist
air, that would make double hung look good.
Any further responses and suggestions are welcomed.Thanks.
Bob