Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need to leave window open , but keep heat out!

Thanks Andy

Forgot to say:

- I rent

- Window is above 2nd floor on private fenced courtyard with CCTV

Window is approx 1.5 metres high, 1.4 meters wide

Maybe I can buy a sheet of persex/acrylic glass the same size as the
hole in the wall?

I'm new to diy... forgive me for asking.. do I go to B & Q for this?

Andy wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi , this is going to sound daft but..

I need to keep the heat in (it's cold outside)

I need to keep the window open.

there is a small 30cm satellite dish on the window sill I need for sky
digital (the tv reception here is appalling - dreadful - you can barely
make out the shapes on the screen)

This dish is realy really small - unbelievable

With the window open , how can I keep the heat out.

Are there any really 'heavy' curtains or anything.

Incredibly, despite the temperature difference it's not *too* bad.

I use a sheet of fabric to cover the hole in the wall (light proof
curtain lining from john lewis).

As well as that I draw the curtain.

Any suggestions please?!

You need a better solution than this: it is a security risk for a start. Any
reason why you cannot mount the dish externally and feed the cable through
the window frame?

If this is not possible, Option 1 is to source a big rectangle of styrofoam
( not expanded polystyrene ) cut slightly oversize vis a vis the window.
Then place the dish outside and squeeze the styrofoam into place.

Option 2 is to make a secondary window frame to fit within the existing
frame when open. It need not be a big deal, get some wood and using
appropriate stripwood/beading build up a secondary window frame with a sheet
of acrylic glazing it, which will be a plugfit into the existing open
window: it could all be done with the lengths of stripwood you get in those
selection drawers in the DIY warehouses. Use small panel pins/glue to hold
the beading in place, larger panel pins/glue to hold the L profile frame
stripwood together. Drill hole in frame to accept aerial cable and voila! If
you're accurate enough you could make the frame a pushfit, otherwise you'll
need to think up a way of locking it to the existing frame. Will take most
of a day to do, from driving off to get the materials to having something
workable to put in position.

Andy.