Member

Talking Warm Air Units Uk

I am interested in the views of all gas engineers regards warm air units.

Do you think they are good or bad systems?
Is there any safety issues ?

Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

Would you install a warm air unit in your house???

Please note this is only a UK question
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default Warm Air Units Uk

In message , gastec
writes

I am interested in the views of all gas engineers regards warm air
units.

Do you think they are good or bad systems?
Is there any safety issues ?

Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

Would you install a warm air unit in your house???

Please note this is only a UK question

Oh, do go away, you irritating little idiot

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:07:26 +0000, gastec
wrote:

I am interested in the views of all gas engineers regards warm air
units.

How interesting....zzzzzz

Do you think they are good or bad systems?

Good

Is there any safety issues ?

None whatsoever

Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

Warm Air

Would you install a warm air unit in your house???

Yes

Please note this is only a UK question

Why, is gas less dangerous just across the channel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:07:26 +0000, gastec wrote:

I am interested in the views of all gas engineers regards warm air
units.

Do you think they are good or bad systems?
Is there any safety issues ?

Of course, but only in line with all types of gas appliances.
Safe enough to live with if properly installed, operated and maintained,
possibly not otherwise.

Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

IMHO wet systems especially underfloor wet systems would have to be
considered better in many respects except for warm up time.
Distributions of smells.
Dust, (even with electrostatics).
Noise levels.
Draught levels.
Difficulty is finding qualified people to service them.
Bulky ducting.

Would you install a warm air unit in your house???

I wouldn't, even if it were possible.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Sirett
[...]

Thank you

your comments are very interesting

Member

Lightbulb

[Why, is gas less dangerous just across the channel

I have worked in the USA for a few years and concider the larger American WAU of better quality than the average standard systems found in the UK..

However I am interested in the thoughts of UK gas engineers with regards UK warm air units...

How would you grade or compare the general safety between UK - WAU and Wet Ch systems???????
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

"gastec" wrote in message

[Why, is gas less dangerous just across the channel

differences from country to country....

I have worked in the USA for a few years and concider the larger
American WAU of better quality than the average standard systems found
in the UK..

However I am interested in the thoughts of UK gas engineers with
regards UK warm air units...

How would you grade or compare the general safety between UK - WAU and
Wet Ch systems???????

--
gastec

Isn't WAU a much dustier system simply because it blows air around ?
I assume UF heating would be best in this respect...

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:07:26 +0000, gastec wrote:

I am interested in the views of all gas engineers regards warm air
units.

Do you think they are good or bad systems?
Is there any safety issues ?

Of course, but only in line with all types of gas appliances.
Safe enough to live with if properly installed, operated and maintained,
possibly not otherwise.

Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

IMHO wet systems especially underfloor wet systems would have to be
considered better in many respects except for warm up time.

Can you highlight the respects please.

Distributions of smells.

Not a prblem with fiorced air if designed and installed properly.

Dust, (even with electrostatics).

Nonsense.

Noise levels.

More nonense. no more than any fan flued boiler.

Draught levels.

Nonsense again. A positive pressure system eliminates draughts.

Difficulty is finding qualified people to service them.

Same gas controls as on boilers.

Bulky ducting.

Designed and installed right you don't see them. Not an issue.

Would you install a warm air unit in your house???

I wouldn't, even if it were possible.

It is clear you have little to no knowledge or experience of such systems
and go on old wives tales.

I would fit one any day. A forced air with fresh air vent and heat recovery
is the business. It can heat, it can cool, It can humidify it gives fresh
air and it recovers heat. All in one system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"gastec" wrote in message

[Why, is gas less dangerous just across the channel

differences from country to country....

I have worked in the USA for a few years and concider the larger
American WAU of better quality than the average standard systems found
in the UK..

However I am interested in the thoughts of UK gas engineers with
regards UK warm air units...

Most know sweet FA about them. If one unit fails they recommend slapping in
rads. That is how bad it is.

How would you grade or compare the general safety between UK - WAU and
Wet Ch systems???????

No different. A room sealed forced air unit, or one with a copper heater
duct battery, are very safe indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Nick" wrote in message

"gastec" wrote in message

[Why, is gas less dangerous just across the channel

differences from country to country....

I have worked in the USA for a few years and concider the larger
American WAU of better quality than the average standard systems found
in the UK..

However I am interested in the thoughts of UK gas engineers with
regards UK warm air units...

How would you grade or compare the general safety between UK - WAU and
Wet Ch systems???????

Isn't WAU a much dustier system simply because it blows air around ?

No. Electrostatic air filters are available, that are recommended for
asthmatics. See: http://www.borpin.co.uk/sbfaq/faq51103.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:43:44 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:07:26 +0000, gastec wrote:
Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

IMHO wet systems especially underfloor wet systems would have to be
considered better in many respects except for warm up time.

Can you highlight the respects please.

As below. I will make my representations on this matter once clearly.
I have no intention of getting into a ding dong thread.

Distributions of smells.

Not a prblem with fiorced air if designed and installed properly.

By their very nature an odour (or aroma) in one room will find it is
drawn back to the unit (remember the regs state there has to be an
explicitly installed return path). This is inevitably going to be
distributed into all the rooms with open registers soon afterwards.

Dust, (even with electrostatics).

Nonsense.

Not nonsense but I concede I may be over stating the case.

Noise levels.

More nonense. no more than any fan flued boiler.

The noise of the boiler is only at the boiler with a ducted system the
noise travels in the duct to the rooms. Although I concede that wet
systems have there own sources of noise (creaking pipes, rads, water
noises, pump noises and TRV troubles).

Draught levels.

Nonsense again. A positive pressure system eliminates draughts.

Not draughts from outside, silly. Draughts caused by the fact that air is
being forced - if it isn't then the system isn't working!

Difficulty is finding qualified people to service them.

Same gas controls as on boilers.

Indeed so, BUT.
Most fitters and/or installing businesses are not prepared to pay several
hundred quid to acquire a qualification (DAH1) that is unlikely to be
needed.

Bulky ducting.

Designed and installed right you don't see them. Not an issue.

They take up space that simply isn't available in the majority of UK
housing. Above all other considerations this is the show stopper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:43:44 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:07:26 +0000, gastec wrote:
Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

IMHO wet systems especially underfloor wet systems would have to be
considered better in many respects except for warm up time.

Can you highlight the respects please.

As below. I will make my representations on this matter once clearly.
I have no intention of getting into a ding dong thread.

Distributions of smells.

Not a problem with forced air if designed and installed properly.

By their very nature an odour (or aroma) in one room will find it is
drawn back to the unit (remember the regs state there has to be an
explicitly installed return path). This is inevitably going to be
distributed into all the rooms with open registers soon afterwards.

You really don't know do you. Carbon filters can be fitted if smells are a
problem. With fresh air systems, that always intake a percentage of fresh
air this is rarely a problem. With fresh air forced air, the air quality is
far better than a locked up rad or UFH system.

Dust, (even with electrostatics).

Nonsense.

Not nonsense but I concede I may be over stating the case.

It is nonesense.

Noise levels.

More nonense. no more than any fan flued boiler.

The noise of the boiler is only at
the boiler with a ducted system the
noise travels in the duct to the rooms.

Nonsense if designed and installed properly. How many houses are plagued
with pumps and water noises in a wet system. Of course..if it is designed
and installed properly then problem...as with forced air.

Although I concede that wet
systems have there own sources of noise
(creaking pipes, rads, water
noises, pump noises and TRV troubles).

Draught levels.

Nonsense again. A positive pressure system eliminates draughts.

Not draughts from outside, silly. Draughts caused by the fact that air is
being forced - if it isn't then the system isn't working!

Nonsense. Moving air does not cause draughts. If it is of the correct temp
then no draught feel. Once again, design and fit right.

Difficulty is finding qualified people to service them.

Same gas controls as on boilers.

Indeed so, BUT.
Most fitters and/or installing businesses
are not prepared to pay several
hundred quid to acquire a qualification
(DAH1) that is unlikely to be needed.

In areas where forced air is common service people are not difficult to come
by. Have an air handling unit with copper heater battery and no corgi or BBA
anywhere insight, as it is remote from the boiler..

Bulky ducting.

Designed and installed right you don't see them. Not an issue.

They take up space that simply isn't
available in the majority of UK
housing. Above all other considerations
this is the show stopper.

I said: "Designed and installed right you don't see them". This is self
explanatory. Design the house for it and they shine - as in the USA, who
the experts at this game. I have seen forced air retrofitted in 1930s
houses. The ducts under the ground floors with a air handler under the
stairs, and a air hander suspended in the loft All totally inconspicuous.
Fresh air and heat recovery too. Hot summers days? 100% air from outside
cooling the place with air movement in every room.

Give me one of these over rads or UFH anyday. BTW, the trendy thing in new
house in heat recovery and vent. Which is a downside forced air system.

I have rads. I was considering having a small air handing unit in the loft
doing the upper rooms and a large grill in the hallway. Then only a few
rads left in some downstairs rooms. Then no stupid draught causing trickle
vents on windows.

Don't go on old wives tales and the cheap system you saw in the council
estate. Even the council estates can be greatly improved by installing a
modern modulating burner and fan unit. They are a world away from the old
British tat.

More info: Suggested books. Manual D

The books are published by the Air Conditioning Contractors of America. The
books may be ordered via their web site or email. They are very readable
and anyone with an average background maths can understand them.

Web site: http://www.acca.org/

Book 1. Residential Duct Systems Manual D

Design a residential duct system in a fraction of the time with the
streamlined duct sizing procedure in the new edition of Manual D. You can
apply the new procedure to constant volume systems and zoned, variable air
volume systems, over the full range of duct construction materials. The new
Manual D also includes the most comprehensive equivalent length data ever
published. (298 pages)

Topics include:

· Residential air-side equipment
· Basic principles of multi-speed and variable speed blowers, pressure loss,
operating point, and duct sizing calculations
· Examples of duct sizing calculations - constant volume systems, flexible
duct, junction box systems, multiple zone VAV systems, two story VAV
systems, and system retrofits with VAV dampers
· How duct leakage affects indoor air quality and the combined performance
of the envelope equipment system
· Duct losses--conductive losses and leakage losses
· Noise control

Catalog ID: 29-D

Book 2. Residential Load Calculation Manual J Seventh Edition

With step-by-step examples, Manual J shows you how to calculate the heating
and cooling loads of single-family detached homes, mobile homes, condos,
town houses and apartment buildings. It's crammed with 38 figures and 16
tables to cover all standard residential construction methods. (126 pages)

Topics include:

· Basic principles of heat transfer, R-values, U-values, and heat transfer
multipliers
· A step-by-step example of a single-zone, single-family, detached
calculation for a whole house and room-by-room
· Sample calculations for multi-zone variable-air-volume systems and
multi-zone split-coil systems
· Mobile home load calculations
· An optional procedure for making leakage area and infiltration CFM
calculations on a component-by-component basis (Berkley Model)
· Review of the methods used to estimate annual energy consumption
and operating cost

Catalog ID: 33-J

Member

Lightbulb warm air units

That is an interesting topic about lack of qualified engineers to work on Warm Air Units..

When i revalidated my uk licence ACS...I definately felt a lack of interest in the WAU licence..

All other ACS classes had over 60 participants where as the WAU class had myself and 3 others???????

True enough i service and repair 10 systems a day an id guess that ive only saw 4 WAU this year ..

I hear that alot of Warm Air Systems are being removed..

Is this a concern over the whole of the UK or is it just windy auld Scotland??

Last edited by gastec : November 20th 05 at 07:01 PM Reason: spelling
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"gastec" wrote in message

That is an interesting topic about lack of qualified engineers to work
on Warm Air Units..

When i revalidated my uk licence ACS...I definately felt a lack of
interest in the WAU licence..

All other ACS classes had over 60 participants where as the WAU class
had myself and 3 others???????

True enough i service and repair 10 systems a day an id guess that ive
only saw 4 WAU this year ..

I hear that alot of Warm Air Systems are being removed..

Is this a concern over the whole of the UK or is it just windy auld
Scotland??

Johnson & Starley are fitting quite few in. The tend be ripped out by
those ignorant of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

That is an interesting topic about lack of qualified engineers to work
on Warm Air Units..

When i revalidated my uk licence ACS...I definately felt a lack of
interest in the WAU licence..

All other ACS classes had over 60 participants where as the WAU class
had myself and 3 others???????

True enough i service and repair 10 systems a day an id guess that ive
only saw 4 WAU this year ..

I hear that alot of Warm Air Systems are being removed..

Is this a concern over the whole of the UK or is it just windy auld
Scotland??

Johnson & Starley are fitting quite few in. The tend be ripped out by
those ignorant of them.

They're ripped out by those with experience of them.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

That is an interesting topic about lack of qualified engineers to work
on Warm Air Units..

When i revalidated my uk licence ACS...I definately felt a lack of
interest in the WAU licence..

All other ACS classes had over 60 participants where as the WAU class
had myself and 3 others???????

True enough i service and repair 10 systems a day an id guess that ive
only saw 4 WAU this year ..

I hear that alot of Warm Air Systems are being removed..

Is this a concern over the whole of the UK or is it just windy auld
Scotland??

Johnson & Starley are fitting quite few in. The tend be ripped out by
those ignorant of them.

They're ripped out by those with experience of them.

How would you know? You just made that up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

That is an interesting topic about lack of qualified engineers to work
on Warm Air Units..

When i revalidated my uk licence ACS...I definately felt a lack of
interest in the WAU licence..

All other ACS classes had over 60 participants where as the WAU class
had myself and 3 others???????

True enough i service and repair 10 systems a day an id guess that ive
only saw 4 WAU this year ..

I hear that alot of Warm Air Systems are being removed..

Is this a concern over the whole of the UK or is it just windy auld
Scotland??

Johnson & Starley are fitting quite few in. The tend be ripped out by
those ignorant of them.

They're ripped out by those with experience of them.

How would you know? You just made that up.

I have the experience, I ripped mine out. You're the one making things
up.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

[...]

You have no experience. To rip one out is idiotic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

[...]

It was life expired. Spare parts were not available. Ripping it out was
the only solution.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"gastec" wrote in message

That is an interesting topic about lack of qualified engineers to work
on Warm Air Units..

When i revalidated my uk licence ACS...I definately felt a lack of
interest in the WAU licence..

All other ACS classes had over 60 participants where as the WAU class
had myself and 3 others???????

True enough i service and repair 10 systems a day an id guess that ive
only saw 4 WAU this year ..

I do not believe you can possibly give full and proper attention to 10
systems a day no matter what you describe as "a system". Even if it were
possible that each and every one was next door to the last one. (Unless you
work extremely long hours and have no accounted time travelling to the job.)
Eggaggeration undermines your arguments

I hear that alot of Warm Air Systems are being removed..

Is this a concern over the whole of the UK or is it just windy auld
Scotland??

I recently retired from gas work but certainly in my part of Yorkshire I was
one of the few who did WA. Most of the units were aged and the occupants had
inherited them. Of the total I used to visit two occupants liked them the
remaining 19 or so complained in various permutations about the air movement
sensation (call it
draught if you like), the muted but annoying "whoosh" sound and various
physiological sensations such as dry throats, blocked noses and spread of
cooking smells if the kitchen door was left open to allow a return path to
the unit intake.
Offhand I can't think of any new systems being installed locally but I do
know of a couple being removed and wet systems installed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You have no experience. To rip one out is idiotic.

Go and ask your local estate agent about how much a warm air system knocks
off the value of a house compared to a wet one.

You can dribble as much as you like about how good they can be but in
practice they're rubbish for this country.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

[...]

Modern replaceable units are available that are a world away fro the old
units with modulating fans and burners, more soundproof and infinitely
better filtration. Ripping it out was silly. You should have asked me
first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,

Doctor Drivel wrote:

You have no experience. To rip one out is idiotic.

Go and ask your local estate agent

Mr Cranium, estate agents are not engineers. They don't have hard hats on.

** snip senility **

Member

Talking

Ive been informed that new central heating boilers below a certain efficiency rating are being outlawed in the UK due to enviromental issues and also because of an expected energy crisis..

Am i correct in saying that Warm Air Units at this time are not being classified equally with Wet systems and will therfore continue to be installed for some years to come..i heard 2 years in england??

I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Units decline in the UK

I suppose thats great for us Gas Engineers

Now over to Dr Drivel for some drivel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"gastec" wrote in message

Ive been informed that new central heating boilers below a certain
efficiency rating are being outlawed in the UK due to enviromental
issues and also because of an expected energy crisis..

It has been the case fro a long time and increased in April this year. You
are CORGI and don't know that?

** snip drivel **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
gastec writes:

Ive been informed that new central heating boilers below a certain
efficiency rating are being outlawed in the UK due to enviromental
issues and also because of an expected energy crisis..

Am i correct in saying that Warm Air Units at this time are not being
classified equally with Wet systems and will therfore continue to be
installed for some years to come..i heard 2 years in england??

There is no significant level of installation in UK domestic
premises, and hasn't been for years. They got to be slightly
popular in houses built around 1968-1970, but such systems will
no longer be in use. I lived in such a house in 1984, and it
was one of the very few on the estate which still had the WAU.
Although I was renting, I serviced it a couple of times, and
spares were easy to obtain back then at least.

I liked the fast warm-up, but it was a real problem for the
others in the house -- dryness was a disaster for a contact
lense wearer, and the dust (even with filter) was a problem
for someone else who was constantly sneezing when it was on.
The unit and ducting were in the middle of the house, which
left the external walls cold (where you would have put the
radiators in a wet system), and rooms which didn't reach
the centre of the house got no direct heating at all.
A few years after I moved out, the landlord pretty much had
to ditch it because no one would service them anymore.

I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Units
decline in the UK

The decline was 30 years ago, but there was barely a noticable
rise before it in any case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
gastec writes:

Ive been informed that new central heating boilers below a certain
efficiency rating are being outlawed in the UK due to enviromental
issues and also because of an expected energy crisis..

Am i correct in saying that Warm Air Units at this time are not being
classified equally with Wet systems and will therfore continue to be
installed for some years to come..i heard 2 years in england??

There is no significant level of installation in UK domestic
premises, and hasn't been for years. They got to be slightly
popular in houses built around 1968-1970, but such systems will
no longer be in use.

Warm air was the first form of heating system taken up en- mass in the UK in
the 1950s, with the post war housing boom. It pre-dated small bore wet
systems by a number of years. Small bore was introduced by the coal board.
Over one million homes even today are heated by warm air.

I lived in such a house in 1984, and it
was one of the very few on the estate which still had the WAU.
Although I was renting, I serviced it a couple of times, and
spares were easy to obtain back then at least.

I liked the fast warm-up, but it was a real problem for the
others in the house -- dryness was a disaster for a contact
lense wearer,

A humidifier spinner could have been installed.

and the dust (even with filter) was a problem
for someone else who was constantly sneezing when it was on.

Poor filters.

The unit and ducting were in the middle of the house, which
left the external walls cold (where you would have put the
radiators in a wet system), and rooms which didn't reach
the centre of the house got no direct heating at all.
A few years after I moved out, the landlord pretty much had
to ditch it because no one would service them anymore.

Sounds like a typically British poorly designed and installed system.

I Wonder if the cost of spare parts
shall increase as Warm Air Units
decline in the UK

The decline was 30 years ago, but there was barely a noticable
rise before it in any case.

Spare parts are freely available. Johnson & Starley has parts available for
units dating from the early 1960s. Try and get a part for a 1964 boiler
today.
http://www.johnsonandstarley.co.uk/spares01.asp
Looks like a comprehensive selection to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , gastec
writes

Ive been informed that new central heating boilers below a certain
efficiency rating are being outlawed in the UK due to enviromental
issues and also because of an expected energy crisis..

Err ...

How can you be a gas fitter and not know that.

It was law [1] which came into effect 1st April this year

[1] - well effectively

Am i correct in saying that Warm Air Units at this time are not being
classified equally with Wet systems and will therfore continue to be
installed for some years to come..i heard 2 years in england??

I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Units
decline in the UK

I suppose thats great for us Gas Engineers

You're not an engineer, you're a fitter

I'm an engineer

Now over to Dr Drivel for some drivel

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , gastec
writes

Ive been informed that new central heating boilers below a certain
efficiency rating are being outlawed in the UK due to enviromental
issues and also because of an expected energy crisis..

Err ...

How can you be a gas fitter and not know that.

Maxie, I said the same thing.

It was law [1] which came into effect 1st April this year

[1] - well effectively

Am i correct in saying that Warm Air Units at this time are not being
classified equally with Wet systems and will therfore continue to be
installed for some years to come..i heard 2 years in england??

I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Units
decline in the UK

I suppose thats great for us Gas Engineers

You're not an engineer, you're a fitter

I'm an engineer

Maxie, do you have an engine in your ear?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Spare parts are freely available. Johnson & Starley has parts available for
units dating from the early 1960s. Try and get a part for a 1964 boiler
today.
http://www.johnsonandstarley.co.uk/spares01.asp
Looks like a comprehensive selection to me.

dIMM, you obviously don't love me any more ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Units
decline in the UK

I suppose thats great for us Gas Engineers

You're not an engineer, you're a fitter

I'm an engineer

Maxie, do you have an engine in your ear?

Bugger off

You didn't mention me as a source of spares.

The wedding's off
I don't love you any more

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You have no experience. To rip one out is idiotic.

Go and ask your local estate agent

Mr Cranium, estate agents are not engineers.

You learn something new every day.

They don't have hard hats on.

So that's your definition of an engineer? Figures.

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Spare parts are freely available. Johnson & Starley has parts available

for
units dating from the early 1960s. Try and get a part for a 1964 boiler
today.
http://www.johnsonandstarley.co.uk/spares01.asp
Looks like a comprehensive selection to me.

dIMM, you obviously don't love me any more ...

Maxie, you have got to stop having domestics in public with Dim Lin, the
Oriental enchantress.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Units
decline in the UK

I suppose thats great for us Gas Engineers

You're not an engineer, you're a fitter

I'm an engineer

Maxie, do you have an engine in your ear?

Bugger off

You didn't mention me as a source of spares.

The wedding's off
I don't love you any more

Maxie, your tiffing in public with Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress is
appalling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

[...]

"replaceable" because that's what everyone wants to do with them, LOL!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"gastec" wrote in message

[...]

No, idiots want to rip them out, not replace. Boy are you dumb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
I Wonder if the cost of spare parts shall increase as Warm Air Units
decline in the UK

I suppose thats great for us Gas Engineers

You're not an engineer, you're a fitter

I'm an engineer

Maxie, do you have an engine in your ear?

Bugger off

You didn't mention me as a source of spares.

Maxie, OK, you are a spare part. That's better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You have no experience. To rip one out is idiotic.

Go and ask your local estate agent

Mr Cranium, estate agents are not engineers.

You learn something new every day.

Richard, you don't learn anything any day.

** snip senility **

Member

Thumbs up

I fear that the tightened regulations regarding ventilation for open flued natural draught appliances has really put a full stop on warm air installation..2008 will really cause an uproar when the ventilation requirements tighten further...i guess room sealed warm air would be the way to go if you want to go that way...

seems like a lot of bother when wet systems really meets all the current safety requirments...

Let me hazard a guess and say that its ALOT EASIER to fit a wet system than a warm air system??

im not a fitter or engineer by the way! a wee bit higher up the ranks