Phil Skuse & Belha A. Haria

Default Hanging Kitchen Wall Units

I'm having a real problem hanging some kitchen wall units. The problem
is that the wall isn't straight. The first four units hang nicely and
butt up against each other front and back. But then the wall starts to
slope away slightly such that although the units butt up together at
the back, there is a 5mm gap at the front. I've been trying to pack
them at the back using a wedge made of successive layers of 4mm pine
strip, but I can't get it to look right. After 3 more units, the last
one is about 16mm away from the wall at one end.

Is there a better solution, other than rebuilding the wall?
Stuart Noble

"Phil Skuse & Belha A. Haria" wrote in message
om...
I'm having a real problem hanging some kitchen wall units. The problem
is that the wall isn't straight. The first four units hang nicely and
butt up against each other front and back. But then the wall starts to
slope away slightly such that although the units butt up together at
the back, there is a 5mm gap at the front. I've been trying to pack
them at the back using a wedge made of successive layers of 4mm pine
strip, but I can't get it to look right. After 3 more units, the last
one is about 16mm away from the wall at one end.

Is there a better solution, other than rebuilding the wall?

I usually screw a 2" x 1" batten along the whole wall first. Get that level
and it only leaves you the back to front dimension to think about (plus it's
a hell of a lot easier if you're working alone). Stand the unit on that, G
clamp the front of each new unit to the last and put a couple of 5mm
connector bolts through. Don't fully tighten the wall brackets until they're
all nicely lined up and stop at the point you see the bottom of the cabinet
start to lift
If your gap is the result of one high spot on the wall, just chop it out. If
the wall is just generally ****ed, 16mm isn't the end of the world, but you
can't get the true picture without doing something like the above.

The Natural Philosopher

Phil Skuse & Belha A. Haria wrote:

I'm having a real problem hanging some kitchen wall units. The problem
is that the wall isn't straight. The first four units hang nicely and
butt up against each other front and back. But then the wall starts to
slope away slightly such that although the units butt up together at
the back, there is a 5mm gap at the front. I've been trying to pack
them at the back using a wedge made of successive layers of 4mm pine
strip, but I can't get it to look right. After 3 more units, the last
one is about 16mm away from the wall at one end.

Is there a better solution, other than rebuilding the wall?

Yes.

Get a timber batten the lenght of teh whiole run and just shalow enough
to fit behind the cabinets under teh top

Fit that to the wall as best you can using packing strips to get it
straight.

Notch out the sides of all teh cupborads so they fit as flush over teh
batten as possible.

Hang te cabinets on te batten, and screw the wole lot together.

No you have a nasty wavy gap at the top, which you simmply ignore
because no one can see it, and a nasty wavy gap at teh bottom.

This is easy. Get some MDF to fit between the worktop and the cupboards,
run your cables behind it for sockets, mount it up, and paint it or tile it.

Use decorators caulk( and paint) to fill any end gaps.
Phil Skuse & Belha A. Haria

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Phil.

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
[...]

Ikea kitchen units too big for Wickes worktop tez UK diy 3 December 15th 04 07:43 PM
glow worm boiler leaked, water damaged the floor and kitchen units. mele UK diy 6 October 20th 04 04:54 PM
Kitchen wall unit over pipes Snowman UK diy 2 September 28th 04 10:58 AM
Damp/Mould in kitchen Colin E. UK diy 1 September 20th 04 12:11 PM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM