Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Warm Air Units Uk

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:43:44 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:07:26 +0000, gastec wrote:
Which do you feel is better,,Warm Air or Wet Systems????

IMHO wet systems especially underfloor wet systems would have to be
considered better in many respects except for warm up time.

Can you highlight the respects please.

As below. I will make my representations on this matter once clearly.
I have no intention of getting into a ding dong thread.

Distributions of smells.

Not a prblem with fiorced air if designed and installed properly.

By their very nature an odour (or aroma) in one room will find it is
drawn back to the unit (remember the regs state there has to be an
explicitly installed return path). This is inevitably going to be
distributed into all the rooms with open registers soon afterwards.

Dust, (even with electrostatics).

Nonsense.

Not nonsense but I concede I may be over stating the case.

Noise levels.

More nonense. no more than any fan flued boiler.

The noise of the boiler is only at the boiler with a ducted system the
noise travels in the duct to the rooms. Although I concede that wet
systems have there own sources of noise (creaking pipes, rads, water
noises, pump noises and TRV troubles).

Draught levels.

Nonsense again. A positive pressure system eliminates draughts.

Not draughts from outside, silly. Draughts caused by the fact that air is
being forced - if it isn't then the system isn't working!

Difficulty is finding qualified people to service them.

Same gas controls as on boilers.

Indeed so, BUT.
Most fitters and/or installing businesses are not prepared to pay several
hundred quid to acquire a qualification (DAH1) that is unlikely to be
needed.

Bulky ducting.

Designed and installed right you don't see them. Not an issue.

They take up space that simply isn't available in the majority of UK
housing. Above all other considerations this is the show stopper.