Phil Addison

Default Power Tool FAQ, & Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ

x-noarchive

The "Power Tool FAQ", & updated "Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ" are on the
brink of release within our main FAQ. If anyone wants to make any last
minute input a pre-release version is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools

Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

Feel free to email me if you have comments you think too trivial to post
here.

Phil
phil_a (a t) big foot (stop) c om = make obvious corrections
PS Did I mention content?
Ian Stirling

Phil Addison wrote:
x-noarchive

The "Power Tool FAQ", & updated "Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ" are on the
brink of release within our main FAQ. If anyone wants to make any last
minute input a pre-release version is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools

Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

I would split out "multimaterial drills" into a seperate section".
Perhaps "Drilling anything!"

And what about a little speed/feed table, perhaps listing cutting speed
for a given combination (HSS/steel) and recommended maximum speeds at
2mm, 5mm, 10mm?

After "Hole saws", something like.

The type of hole saw with cutters that are complete cylinders with one
end closed and fitted for an attachment to a common arbour are significantly
longer lasting and easier to use in any but the softest materials than the
type that are merely circular strips of sawblade that clip onto a base.

After "Wire brushes".
This is one tool that may be particularly handy when combined with a
flexible shaft for your drill.
This can let you remove rust in otherwise very hard to reach places.
However, never let the flexible shaft form more than a 90 degree bend,
otherwise it will wind round itself, and be destroyed.

After "get a new one" " (check the drill is not in reverse!)"
Phil Addison

On 15 Sep 2005 23:42:01 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Ian Stirling
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
x-noarchive

The "Power Tool FAQ", & updated "Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ" are on the
brink of release within our main FAQ. If anyone wants to make any last
minute input a pre-release version is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools

Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

I would split out "multimaterial drills" into a seperate section".
Perhaps "Drilling anything!"

Possibly, but wouldn't the content under it would be a little sparse.
Just "Drills anything"?? I have never actually tried these myself.

And what about a little speed/feed table, perhaps listing cutting speed
for a given combination (HSS/steel) and recommended maximum speeds at
2mm, 5mm, 10mm?

Yes please.

After "Hole saws", something like.

The type of hole saw with cutters that are complete cylinders with one
end closed and fitted for an attachment to a common arbour are significantly
longer lasting and easier to use in any but the softest materials than the
type that are merely circular strips of sawblade that clip onto a base.

Yes

After "Wire brushes".
This is one tool that may be particularly handy when combined with a
flexible shaft for your drill.
This can let you remove rust in otherwise very hard to reach places.
However, never let the flexible shaft form more than a 90 degree bend,
otherwise it will wind round itself, and be destroyed.

After "get a new one" " (check the drill is not in reverse!)"

Yes :-)

Thanks for those.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Rumm

Phil Addison wrote:

I would split out "multimaterial drills" into a seperate section".
Perhaps "Drilling anything!"

Possibly, but wouldn't the content under it would be a little sparse.
Just "Drills anything"?? I have never actually tried these myself.

I put em under the masonry section since that seems to be what they do
very well, while being OK for other things.

(Must admit I quite like them - very handy to keep in the cordless drill
case and know that you can tackle most jobs without needing to remember
to take several sets of drills with you).

After "Wire brushes".
This is one tool that may be particularly handy when combined with a
flexible shaft for your drill.

A flexi shaft with a 90 degree turn on the end like an angle grinder
would be even better if you find such a thing... (like a man sized
dentists drill)

After "get a new one" " (check the drill is not in reverse!)"

BTSTGTTS ;-)

(you also find the torque limiter on your SDS does not when drilling
backwards!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Ian Stirling

wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
x-noarchive

The "Power Tool FAQ", & updated "Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ" are on the
brink of release within our main FAQ. If anyone wants to make any last
minute input a pre-release version is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools

Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

I would split out "multimaterial drills" into a seperate section".
Perhaps "Drilling anything!"

Possibly, but wouldn't the content under it would be a little sparse.
Just "Drills anything"?? I have never actually tried these myself.

And what about a little speed/feed table, perhaps listing cutting speed
for a given combination (HSS/steel) and recommended maximum speeds at
2mm, 5mm, 10mm?

Yes please.

Tomorrow/next day maybe.

Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:54:25 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

| x-noarchive
|
| The "Power Tool FAQ", & updated "Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ" are on the
| brink of release within our main FAQ. If anyone wants to make any last
| minute input a pre-release version is at
| http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools
|
| Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
| readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.
|
| Feel free to email me if you have comments you think too trivial to post
| here.

Making an On Topic, very interesting, advert for a link to a FAQ which will
probably last for years "x-noarchive" is IMO self defeating, and IMO
utterly daft.

I personally use groups.google regularly to find information which has
expired on my good newserver.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
John Rumm

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools

^^^^^^^

Making an On Topic, very interesting, advert for a link to a FAQ which will
probably last for years "x-noarchive" is IMO self defeating, and IMO
utterly daft.

Do you not suppose that a link to a draft copy of a FAQ in a *temporary*
directory is not going to be terribly useful in a week once it is no
longer there?

I personally use groups.google regularly to find information which has
expired on my good newserver.

And you would then find the regular posted links to the real FAQ site.

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil Addison

x-noarchive

Re-revised pages now up in pre-release area:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/pow...s/cordless.htm

Re-written section "What about “Watts”?"

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/pow...s/drillfaq.htm

Re-written sections
"Hole Saws"
"Core Drills"

Added comments to "Wire brushes"

Any more comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation,
grammar, readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

Did I mention content?

Feel free to email me if you have comments you think too trivial to post
here.

Phil
phil_a (a t) big foot (stop) c om = make obvious corrections

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Dave

Phil Addison wrote:
x-noarchive

The "Power Tool FAQ", & updated "Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ" are on the
brink of release within our main FAQ. If anyone wants to make any last
minute input a pre-release version is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools

Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

Feel free to email me if you have comments you think too trivial to post
here.

Phil
phil_a (a t) big foot (stop) c om = make obvious corrections
PS Did I mention content?

The line about D200 drills wants re-hashing as the first sentence refers
to the end of my comments about C1150 drills and introducing the D200
drills.

As another poster asked about rotation speeds for drill sizes and feed
rates, I would say that this depends very much on what is being drilled
and by what tool.

e.g. When drilling very hard steel, it is necessary to make sure that
lots of pressure is applied to the twist drill. On the other hand,
aluminium, copper and brass can be better drilled at a slower feed rate,
but quite a fast rotational speed. Just to complicate things, the angle
of the cutting edge may have to change for soft metals. Twist drills are
usually ground for drilling mild steel

Pin drills (those that have a feed handle to lower the cutter, base
plate to place the drilled item and a variable speed of rotation) will
drill slightly different to a hand held powered drill. The use of a
cutting fluid will change the rules again. It's a complex topic, is
drilling metal :-)

Just thought of another variable.
When using an electric drill to drill holes, if you only grip the pistol
handle, you will tend to bend the drill. Because the pressure is not
behind the cutter, but at an angle to it, this causes the cutter to
wander away from the intended position of the hole. The way round this,
is to lean the drill body at the opposite angle to the point you want to
drill. This makes the drill bit wander where you want it to drill the
hole. (If anyone doesn't understand that, I will expand on it when the
whisky wears off :-)

Perhaps it is time to tap into the knowledge of the group and get the
experts in the various materials to tell you. I know a little of
drilling metal, but nothing about drilling wood etc.

Dave
Phil Addison

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:21:55 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y you wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

The line about D200 drills wants re-hashing as the first sentence refers
to the end of my comments about C1150 drills and introducing the D200
drills.

Re-hashed now. Should it be "D200" or "D 200", ditto the "C"?

As another poster asked about rotation speeds for drill sizes and feed
rates, I would say that this depends very much on what is being drilled
and by what tool.

So a 3 column table of Material/Diameter/Speed? I can slot in table if
someone provides the content. Meanwhile I have incorporated the basics
of your para above and the two below.

e.g. When drilling very hard steel, it is necessary to make sure that
lots of pressure is applied to the twist drill. On the other hand,
aluminium, copper and brass can be better drilled at a slower feed rate,
but quite a fast rotational speed. Just to complicate things, the angle
of the cutting edge may have to change for soft metals. Twist drills are
usually ground for drilling mild steel

Pin drills (those that have a feed handle to lower the cutter, base
plate to place the drilled item and a variable speed of rotation) will
drill slightly different to a hand held powered drill. The use of a
cutting fluid will change the rules again. It's a complex topic, is
drilling metal :-)

I'm not familiar wit the term Pin Drill. Is it covered by the general
term Pillar Drill as already used in that section?

Just thought of another variable.
When using an electric drill to drill holes, if you only grip the pistol
handle, you will tend to bend the drill. Because the pressure is not
behind the cutter, but at an angle to it, this causes the cutter to
wander away from the intended position of the hole. The way round this,
is to lean the drill body at the opposite angle to the point you want to
drill. This makes the drill bit wander where you want it to drill the
hole. (If anyone doesn't understand that, I will expand on it when the
whisky wears off :-)

Not sure about that one. I use two hands on my drill, one on the trigger
handle to take the weight and (try to) keep the bit vertical, and the
other hand at the back of the drill to apply pressure in line with the
drill axis. Seems a natural grasp to me. I just realised the main point
(that actually is missing in this text) is to centre punch the job
first. There is a technique to this that allows you to pull a slightly
'off' punch mark into the exact desired place.

Perhaps it is time to tap into the knowledge of the group and get the
experts in the various materials to tell you. I know a little of
drilling metal, but nothing about drilling wood etc.

Err... did I mention content? :-)

Thanks for the useful input. drillfaq page updated again - let me know
if I've mucked up your input in the editing. ;-)

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Phil Addison wrote:

re drilling faq

Nice job, lots of info. I always like to be a pain, so could offer a
few more snippets to think about:

another way to avoid dust is to tie your hoover hose to the depth stop
on the drill. Although its a bit to the side, the air suction takes
care of that no problem. I've saved endless work that way, makes a big
difference.

If it were my faq I might replace 'very hot' with red hot, in case
folks may not realise just how seriously hot they can go. I've had bits
go red hot in the days before hammer drills.

Driling laminates eg formica tends to produce a messy hole. Pressing a
piece of hardboard over it and drilling through that makes a big
difference. (Same with sawing the stuff.) Downward pressure must be
maintained while drilling, a clamp is often the easy way.

I've always found standard twist drills do soft metals acceptably as
long as one goes real easy on pressure. The angle is too aggressive,
but using less pressure counters this fairly well, preventing gouging
and binding. Breaking through is best done by holding the chuck and
turning it by hand, problems are likely if you try and power through.

Lip and spur bits: these drill wood faster and with less effort than
standard twist, so are recommended for codless use. And really for most
wood drilling use.

You say flat bits drill clean holes: how? whenever I've used them
theyve been pretty msesy. One advantage of a flat bit is that if youre
caught without the right size bit you can use a hammer to make one out
of anything rodlike.

Auger bits need high torque and very low drill speed. Theyre barely
suitable for mains drills.

All drill bits should be removed from an unfinished hole while being
spun clockwise, except for augers, and expcet when it has dug right in
and wont turn.

"Then there are those you find in DIY sheds. these are thin bendy
spring steel things that do not quite form a complete circle, and you
get a whole set of them mounted on a single wide arbour.These thin
floppy ones can cut holes through sheet materials, though not much
else. The arbour is always bigger than the cutter so you can drill no
deeper than the exposed depth of the blade. The set comes with all the
blades mounted on the arbour, but in use they should all be removed
except the one required, remembering to do the securing grub-screw up
tight"

I can add that these must be used with much gentleness and patience, as
applying even mild to normal driling pressure is enough to ruin them
immediately, and damage the workpiece. They are a very weak cheapskate
option. I know this from experience. Theyre ideal where few holes are
ever needed, as theyre slow, weak, likely to be short lived, but very
cheap. There must be a proper name for these?

decent from a ladder - descent from a ladder

Sanding discs: use a light stroking action to avoid gauges. Once you
get the hang of it its quite prctical to sand large quantities of wood
this way. But if you dont get the hang of it, I hope you like crescent
shapes!

"How do I stop my drill-bit from slipping in the chuck?"
easy, use less pressure.

"Cutting off the last foot of cable and rewiring the drill could save
you the price of a new drill (do unplug it first!)"

yes, but this tends to happen at both ends. If one end has gone, the
other end will most likely be in an unsafe state, so the same trick
should be done both ends.

I notice you didnt mntion hex shank drills. I use these a lot, theyre a
real time and energy saver because the bits can be swapped over by just
pulling it out and pushing the new one in. A hex adaptor for the drill
is a real time saver. The downsides a
- high torque must be avoided, since the bit is liable to come unstuck
from the hex base
- the bits cost more than round twist drills, but theyre well worth it.
- they tend to wobble a bit, which can be an issue in a minority of
situations.

With hex shank I'd recommend titanium coated ones. Ti coating is a
great thing anyway, plus it reduces the required torque.

thanks for the work,
NT

Phil Addison

On 17 Sep 2005 07:36:28 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

re drilling faq

Nice job, lots of info. I always like to be a pain, so could offer a
few more snippets to think about:

Thanks. Unless I hear shouts of "oh no it doesn't" I'll weave this lot
in - it mostly sounds ok to me.

another way to avoid dust is to tie your hoover hose to the depth stop
on the drill. Although its a bit to the side, the air suction takes
care of that no problem. I've saved endless work that way, makes a big
difference.

ok

If it were my faq I might replace 'very hot' with red hot, in case
folks may not realise just how seriously hot they can go. I've had bits
go red hot in the days before hammer drills.

ok

Driling laminates eg formica tends to produce a messy hole. Pressing a
piece of hardboard over it and drilling through that makes a big
difference. (Same with sawing the stuff.) Downward pressure must be
maintained while drilling, a clamp is often the easy way.

ok

I've always found standard twist drills do soft metals acceptably as
long as one goes real easy on pressure.

... and they are still actually sharp.

The angle is too aggressive,
but using less pressure counters this fairly well, preventing gouging
and binding. Breaking through is best done by holding the chuck and
turning it by hand, problems are likely if you try and power through.

ok

Lip and spur bits: these drill wood faster and with less effort than
standard twist, so are recommended for codless use. And really for most
wood drilling use.

More expensive?

You say flat bits drill clean holes: how? whenever I've used them
theyve been pretty msesy.

Does it? I missed that bit, the ones I have certainly don't make clean
holes but they are wonderful for quickly bashing a rough hole through if
that's all you need, e.g. a hole for feeding cable through a joist.

One advantage of a flat bit is that if youre
caught without the right size bit you can use a hammer to make one out
of anything rodlike.

ROFL

Auger bits need high torque and very low drill speed. Theyre barely
suitable for mains drills.

Got some of those, and the brace to use them with. The brace and auger
bit combo works well at about 1 rev/sec, which is lucky really because
that's about when my arm delivers max torque.

All drill bits should be removed from an unfinished hole while being
spun clockwise, except for augers, and expcet when it has dug right in
and wont turn.

When drilling in metal near the limit of a my not-so-huge power drill
there is a tendency to stall. The only way out then is in reverse.

[...]

Crappy hole saws?

decent from a ladder - descent from a ladder

:-)

Sanding discs: use a light stroking action to avoid gauges. Once you
get the hang of it its quite prctical to sand large quantities of wood
this way. But if you dont get the hang of it, I hope you like crescent
shapes!

Nah, it's really not recommended IME if you care about surface finish.
The ball-joint ones give you some chance of success but the rigid ones
always dig in, in my experience. They have built in positive feedback.
Must admit I gave up using mine years ago - have they changed?

"How do I stop my drill-bit from slipping in the chuck?"
easy, use less pressure.

In general yes, but have you tried drilling out a jammed car steering
lock, in situ? When the twist bit catches on a tumbler the slippage is
nowt to do with pressure

"Cutting off the last foot of cable and rewiring the drill could save
you the price of a new drill (do unplug it first!)"

yes, but this tends to happen at both ends. If one end has gone, the
other end will most likely be in an unsafe state, so the same trick
should be done both ends.

ok, but probably obvious to anyone that tries the first end. By the way,
a way to find where a flex conductor is broken is to give the cable a
hefty heave - that can snap it at the weak point.

I notice you didnt mntion hex shank drills. I use these a lot, theyre a
real time and energy saver because the bits can be swapped over by just
pulling it out and pushing the new one in. A hex adaptor for the drill
is a real time saver.

ok, but so is having several drills on the go. Saves loosing the
drill-bit you just changed for a different size. 3 are good; for pilot,
clearance, and counter-sink.

The downsides a
- high torque must be avoided, since the bit is liable to come unstuck
from the hex base

Is the hex welded on then? I assumed it was pressed onto the rod.

- the bits cost more than round twist drills, but theyre well worth it.
- they tend to wobble a bit, which can be an issue in a minority of
situations.

With hex shank I'd recommend titanium coated ones. Ti coating is a
great thing anyway, plus it reduces the required torque.

thanks for the work,

Likewise - content is down to the contributors, I just re-arrange the
words ;-)

Phil Addison wrote:

Lip and spur bits: these drill wood faster and with less effort than
standard twist, so are recommended for codless use. And really for most
wood drilling use.

More expensive?

Sure, though not always. Poundland do a set of 10 for =A31, and
remarkably they seem to work well. Well worth it, even for the price of
a better quality set, they make hard going jobs easy.

One advantage of a flat bit is that if youre
caught without the right size bit you can use a hammer to make one out
of anything rodlike.

ROFL

heh. I've heard it said thats their only advantage.

We've probably all found ourselves doing a job unexpectedly without the
tools, when it wasnt convenient to go get some. The flat bit is ideal
here. A nail, screwdriver shaft, bolt, screw, bit of threaded rod, any
old junk. Bang it down at one end and there ya go, one crudely done
hole. If it only has to do 2 holes, any old monkey metal will do.

Also broken drill bits are simple to turn into flat bits for people
that cant figure out how to regrind them as twists. This saves buying a
new bit set.

Maybe we can have a wot-no-tools faq some day

All drill bits should be removed from an unfinished hole while being
spun clockwise, except for augers, and expcet when it has dug right in
and wont turn.

When drilling in metal near the limit of a my not-so-huge power drill
there is a tendency to stall. The only way out then is in reverse.

Yes. The remove clockwise when poss is just something newbs need to
know.

option. I know this from experience. Theyre ideal where few holes are
ever needed, as theyre slow, weak, likely to be short lived, but very
cheap. There must be a proper name for these?

Crappy hole saws?

lol, yeah.

Sanding discs: use a light stroking action to avoid gauges. Once you

Nah, it's really not recommended IME if you care about surface finish.
The ball-joint ones give you some chance of success but the rigid ones
always dig in, in my experience. They have built in positive feedback.
Must admit I gave up using mine years ago - have they changed?

I agree theyre not to be recommended. Some people get the hang of them,
but many dont. What I was thinking is a fair few of your readers have
little in the way of tools or money, and for them a disc sander costs
50p and is sometimes just fine. I did a floor with nowt but a disc
sander, and it was fine. Quick to use (with a very coarse fibre disc),
and no crescents.

Technique is everything, you need to always keep the pressure light
enough to avoid the possibility of digging in, _always_ keep it moving,
lean the drill over slightly so its the side of the disc thats doing
the work, and move it sideways. If you sweep it parallel to the cutting
edge, gouges are guaranteed. If for a moment you allow a bit too much
pressure on it, ditto. The secret is to use a very coarse fibre disc.
IIRC I used 20 or 30 grit. 60 grit paper is a waste of time.

"How do I stop my drill-bit from slipping in the chuck?"
easy, use less pressure.

In general yes, but have you tried drilling out a jammed car steering
lock, in situ? When the twist bit catches on a tumbler the slippage is
nowt to do with pressure

yup.

"Cutting off the last foot of cable and rewiring the drill could save
you the price of a new drill (do unplug it first!)"

yes, but this tends to happen at both ends. If one end has gone, the
other end will most likely be in an unsafe state, so the same trick
should be done both ends.

ok, but probably obvious to anyone that tries the first end.

not if it then works, it will probably be unsafe. Broken strands can
cause arcing, melting, charring, fire, shorts. One should do both ends
if one's bad.

By the way,
a way to find where a flex conductor is broken is to give the cable a
hefty heave - that can snap it at the weak point.

and snap other strands in various places I'd expect.

I notice you didnt mntion hex shank drills. I use these a lot, theyre a
real time and energy saver because the bits can be swapped over by just
pulling it out and pushing the new one in. A hex adaptor for the drill
is a real time saver.

ok, but so is having several drills on the go. Saves loosing the
drill-bit you just changed for a different size. 3 are good; for pilot,
clearance, and counter-sink.

yes, though
a) I find one drill with hexes a fair bit easier myself.
b) youre writing for readers most of whom have one drill not 3.

The downsides a
- high torque must be avoided, since the bit is liable to come unstuck
from the hex base

Is the hex welded on then? I assumed it was pressed onto the rod.

Mine look like theyre glued in, and a few have come unstuck. Despite
this shortcoming I use them lots, saves much time.

NT

John Schmitt

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:42:01 +0100, Ian Stirling
wrote:

After "Wire brushes".
This is one tool that may be particularly handy when combined with a
flexible shaft for your drill.

With these, it is probably wise to emphasise that both earphone cables and
long hair can become tangled in the wirebrush and then it will turn ugly.
Rather a few years ago a young lady at a certain educational establishment
removed half her scalp in this manner.

BTW, a big hand for the team. More excellent stuff.

John Schmitt

Phil Addison

wrote:

After "Wire brushes".
This is one tool that may be particularly handy when combined with a
flexible shaft for your drill.

With these, it is probably wise to emphasise that both earphone cables and
long hair can become tangled in the wirebrush and then it will turn ugly.
Rather a few years ago a young lady at a certain educational establishment
removed half her scalp in this manner.

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

BTW, a big hand for the team. More excellent stuff.

John Schmitt

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

John Cartmell

wrote:

After "Wire brushes".
This is one tool that may be particularly handy when combined with a
flexible shaft for your drill.

With these, it is probably wise to emphasise that both earphone cables and
long hair can become tangled in the wirebrush and then it will turn ugly.
Rather a few years ago a young lady at a certain educational establishment
removed half her scalp in this manner.

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

Worth adding a note on any description of machines with a (fast) turning
action that long hair, ties, bows, jewellry, snooks, &c should be left behind
along with the idea of using such machinery whilst tired, drugged, inebriated,
or hung-over.

Other problems include distractions caused by a nagging spouse, kids
(technology teachers have to be carefully trained not to move their
concentration in response to endless "please sirs"), and being responsible for
anything/anyone else at the same time as operating dangerous machinery.

Phil Addison

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:26:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

Worth adding a note on any description of machines with a (fast) turning
action that long hair, ties, bows, jewellry, snooks, &c should be left behind
along with the idea of using such machinery whilst tired, drugged, inebriated,
or hung-over.

What is a snook? Or do you mean they should wear a snood?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Cartmell

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:26:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

Worth adding a note on any description of machines with a (fast) turning
action that long hair, ties, bows, jewellry, snooks, &c should be left
behind along with the idea of using such machinery whilst tired, drugged,
inebriated, or hung-over.

What is a snook? Or do you mean they should wear a snood?

However spelt they shouldn't wear one! ;-)

Phil Addison

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:01:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:26:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

Worth adding a note on any description of machines with a (fast) turning
action that long hair, ties, bows, jewellry, snooks, &c should be left
behind along with the idea of using such machinery whilst tired, drugged,
inebriated, or hung-over.

What is a snook? Or do you mean they should wear a snood?

However spelt they shouldn't wear one! ;-)

You've lost me. A snood is what is worn to keep long hair in place.
"Snood: A small netlike cap worn by women to keep the hair in place"
(dictionary.com), so I've altered it to include that. I have no idea
what you mean by a snook.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Chris Bacon

Phil Addison wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by a snook.

It's something one cocks, isn't it?

John Cartmell

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:01:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:26:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

Worth adding a note on any description of machines with a (fast)
turning action that long hair, ties, bows, jewellry, snooks, &c
should be left behind along with the idea of using such machinery
whilst tired, drugged, inebriated, or hung-over.

What is a snook? Or do you mean they should wear a snood?

However spelt they shouldn't wear one! ;-)

You've lost me. A snood is what is worn to keep long hair in place. "Snood:
A small netlike cap worn by women to keep the hair in place"
(dictionary.com), so I've altered it to include that. I have no idea what
you mean by a snook.

Loose cowl thing - whatever it is called. Browning knew how to name such
things ... ;-)

Phil Addison

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:27:37 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:01:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:26:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

Worth adding a note on any description of machines with a (fast)
turning action that long hair, ties, bows, jewellry, snooks, &c
should be left behind along with the idea of using such machinery
whilst tired, drugged, inebriated, or hung-over.

What is a snook? Or do you mean they should wear a snood?

However spelt they shouldn't wear one! ;-)

You've lost me. A snood is what is worn to keep long hair in place. "Snood:
A small netlike cap worn by women to keep the hair in place"
(dictionary.com), so I've altered it to include that. I have no idea what
you mean by a snook.

Loose cowl thing - whatever it is called. Browning knew how to name such
things ... ;-)

Right, so you do mean a snood, but you said NOT to wear it... duh!

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Cartmell

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:27:37 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:01:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil Addison
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:26:49 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Phil
Addison wrote:

Ouch!! ok, another one to add then.

Worth adding a note on any description of machines with a (fast)
turning action that long hair, ties, bows, jewellry, snooks, &c
should be left behind along with the idea of using such machinery
whilst tired, drugged, inebriated, or hung-over.

What is a snook? Or do you mean they should wear a snood?

However spelt they shouldn't wear one! ;-)

You've lost me. A snood is what is worn to keep long hair in place.
"Snood: A small netlike cap worn by women to keep the hair in place"
(dictionary.com), so I've altered it to include that. I have no idea
what you mean by a snook.

Loose cowl thing - whatever it is called. Browning knew how to name such
things ... ;-)

Right, so you do mean a snood, but you said NOT to wear it... duh!

Yes. If it's loose fitting but forms a loop around the neck then it can be
very dangerous near moving machinery.

Phil Addison

Comments seem to have dried up so unless any last minute ones come in, I
will elevate the testing version to the full diyfaq site in the next day
or two.

The Drilling FAQ has had several additions in the last few days, and
minor additions to Normal / Hammer Drills, Sander, and Mitre Saw.

See
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/pow...s/drillfaq.htm
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/drill.htm
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/pow...s/mitresaw.htm
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/sander.htm

New comments are still welcome on broken links, typos, punctuation,
grammar, readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.
ESPECIALLY if they come complete with text to paste in.

Phil
phil_a (a t) big foot (stop) c om = make obvious corrections

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:54:25 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Phil Addison
wrote:

x-noarchive

The "Power Tool FAQ", & updated "Drill-bit and Drilling FAQ" are on the
brink of release within our main FAQ. If anyone wants to make any last
minute input a pre-release version is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/con...tml#powertools

Any comments appreciated on broken links, typos, punctuation, grammar,
readability, facts, gibberish, content, style etc.

Feel free to email me if you have comments you think too trivial to post
here.

Phil
phil_a (a t) big foot (stop) c om = make obvious corrections
PS Did I mention content?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Rumm

Phil Addison wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/pow...s/drillfaq.htm

Typos:

in Expansive Bits "an the single cutting flute has a spur..." "an"
should be "and"

in hole saws: "Professional hole saws blades " few too many plurals
there. (in fact we don't really need the "blade" bit IMHO)

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/drill.htm
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/pow...s/mitresaw.htm
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/sander.htm

Under Rotary Disc in sander types, should the "Technique is Everything"
paragraph actually be in the next table where usage is discussed?

There is a spurious extra carridge return in "onto
which slips a sanding belt"

In nailers and staplers: missing capital letter on start of second para.

General style sheet comment - any chance of a bit more leading between
lines? The table entries are nice and easy to read, but the main body
text is rather tightly line spaced. (The CSS definition for BODY seems
to be the culprit, currently it has line height specified as 100% rather
than "normal" (normal usually being approx 120%))

So:

BODY { margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: white; color:
black; font-size: medium; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;
font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif }

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil Addison wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/pow...s/drillfaq.htm

A trivial style/readability point he

"This FAQ is not about Electric Hand-held Drills (for those look here),
but is about different types of drill-bits and the actual process of
drilling"

I'd remove '(for those look here)' and make 'Drills' the hyperlink
instead.

I keep wondering about this:

'Drilling can be very loud and create loads of dust, so ear defenders
and a mask are often essential'

Rarely I find, unless its a particularly mean job. I'd say 'sometimes
essential'

IME masonry drills work fine when theyre blunt. Its only the hardest of
workpieces that need a sharp one to work.

"Many metals need to be drilled at relatively low speeds in the 300 -
900 rpm range, so many standard mains drills are too fast, the result
being an overheated drill-bit"

yse, I'd add: the workaround for this is to drill for 10 or 20 seconds,
rest to allow cooling, repeat.

" point but a flat cutting edge and look a little like a small spade. A
sharp flat bit will rapidly cut a pretty clean hole"

I've never seen that, always been messy, even with a new drill bit. I'd
say: 'Flat bits make messy holes, can be unstable, and can't be used to
widen existing holes. Theyre suited to drilling large holes, where
other bit types get expensive.'

More cut n paste offerings:

Blunt bits:

Some new bits are so badly ground they wont work, and all bits lose
their edge in time. Blunt and broken bits can be reground if you pay
sufficient attention to the angles. Regrinding attachments are not
needed, and not that helpful.

If you want bits for wood and plastic use only, sharper steeper angles
will make them perform much better. Just dont use these to drill steel.

If you dont succeed at sharpening bits, and not everyone does, its very
easy to grind a flattened point on them. They'll then work again,
though the performance wont be as good as a sharp twist drill.

If you have no sharpening equipment, even an angle grinder can do it,
provided you use very light pressure only, and take frequent rests to
avoid overheating the bit. With practice a bit can be reground in a
minute this way.

"Then there are those you find in DIY sheds. these are thin bendy
spring steel things that do not quite form a complete circle, and you
get a whole set of them mounted on a single wide arbour.These thin
floppy ones can cut holes through sheet materials, though not much
else. The arbour is always bigger than the cutter so you can drill no
deeper than the exposed depth of the blade. The set comes with all the
blades mounted on the arbour, but in use they should all be removed
except the one required, remembering to do the securing grub-screw up
tight"

They will drill twice that depth, just tackle the hole from both sides.
They will also drill big lumps of wood, eg solid doors, but one must
treat them as somewhat fragile. If you push, they buckle and break.

"Lubrication: Drilling in metal needs lubrication of the drill-bit,
ideally with proper lubricating fluid, but failing that 3-in1 oil is a
lot better than nothing. No, it won't just make the drill-bit slip!"

suggest: '3 in one or vegetable oil are'

I wont mention that margerine, chocolate, and presumably earwax also
work.

NT

PS I wonder about a secondary drill bit FAQ for those that want more
depth of information? There are lots of extra tips could go in, but
would be time wasting for many readers.

Phil Addison wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/drill.htm

"First-time users of SDS drills often a phrase like "hot knife
through butter" when searching for words to describe just how much
better they are."

word missing

"The cordless drill is a godsend any time you need a drill and the
freedom from a mains flex. It is ideal for screw driving, where the DC
motor will provide a much smoother delivery of power than many mains
drills"

a much smoother delivery of power - much better control

"What voltage cordless drill do I want?"

Dont forget the many 2.4 and 3.6 tools about. Maybe:

2.4v will only drill a few holes in wood before going flat, or drive a
couple of dozen 2" screws home (with pilot hole). It will cope with all
but the biggest appliance screws. No use for heavier work. Suited to
small light jobs.

NT

Phil Addison

Thanks once again JR and NT for the detailed notes. I'll try and update
the 'testing' versions with your inputs tonight. Look out for a new time
stamp to see when they are done.

Phil

On 21 Sep 2005 07:54:47 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/drill.htm
Chris Bacon

meow2222 wrote:
If you have no sharpening equipment, even an angle grinder can do it,
provided you use very light pressure only, and take frequent rests to
avoid overheating the bit. With practice a bit can be reground in a
minute this way.

I'm not that keen on this idea - yes, I know it can be done, but there
are people who haven't the *faintest* idea, who will try it. I watched
an assistant in B&Q on Sunday morning (needed tap washers, so had to
go there, unfortunately) advising a chap there with his 3 small boys
in tow. The bloke was clueless about what he wanted, or how the things
work, or what materials they cut, with what wheel, etc. etc. You get
the picture. Him, sharpening a bit on an angle grinder? I hope not!

Phil Addison

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:28:29 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Phil Addison wrote:

Thanks once again JR and NT for the detailed notes. I'll try and update
the 'testing' versions with your inputs tonight. Look out for a new time
stamp to see when they are done.

And Chris.

New versions incorporating most of those comments are now in the
'testing' site. I daresay i've introduced a few more bugs ;-)

Phil

Phil Addison wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/drill.htm

"For basic operations, the budget tools will do pretty much what the
high end ones will"

Something occurs to me about this. A guy I know had a load of real
cheapo power tools for site work, =A310 drills and angle grinders etc,
and the tools were dead within a month. It seems the plastic gears were
really only capable of lasting if the tool only saw occasional use. So
I'm not sure one can say budget will do what decent stuff will. Also
there is quite a high failure rate on low end tools. Perhaps add
'though the low end ones often dont last very well'

Bear in mind old B&D drills arent cheapskate stuff, theyre maybe the
low end of midmarket. Power devil for example is not comparable with
B&D.

Codless speed controllers arent essential on the lower power tools, eg
2=2E4v. In fact they wouldnt really gain you anything on those.

Maybe:
This essential feature, - This essential feature (though not on the
lowest voltage tools),

It could do with someone's experience on soemthing between 2.4 and 12v,
and some experience of what one can actually do with a =A325 special.

Batteries: higher voltage doesnt just mean more drilling power, it also
means a longer work time from each charge.

NT

John Schmitt

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:31:44 +0100, wrote:

Batteries: higher voltage doesnt just mean more drilling power, it also
means a longer work time from each charge.

I think it has been said before, but drilling time is related to watt
hours in the battery.
Drilling any particular hole requires more or less the same amount of
energy. Whether the cells are the cheap ones or premium makes a large
difference, i.e a factor of about 2. AhxV is where it is at. For any type
of cell, the work time is more or less proportional to the volume of the
battery. As the higher voltages require multiple cells, the cells become
smaller and therefore their Ah rating must necessarily fall. Working on
the approximation that each cell in an 18V battery is the volume of an AA
cell the present ceiling appears to be in the region of 2600 mAh for NiMH,
which if I have done my sums correctly means about 20 minutes at 250W. The
load on the drill is of course variable depending on going conditions.

John Schmitt.

John Rumm

"For basic operations, the budget tools will do pretty much what the
high end ones will"

Something occurs to me about this. A guy I know had a load of real
cheapo power tools for site work, £10 drills and angle grinders etc,
and the tools were dead within a month. It seems the plastic gears were
really only capable of lasting if the tool only saw occasional use. So
I'm not sure one can say budget will do what decent stuff will. Also
there is quite a high failure rate on low end tools. Perhaps add
'though the low end ones often dont last very well'

The following sentance does say however:

"Spending more money will buy you better endurance from the motor, so
you can run it longer without rest periods, and it will last longer,
better speed controllers, and more robust gearboxes. Bearings will
improve and become more impervious to dust - handy if you do much
masonry work, or lots of grinding and sanding"

Does that not make it clear enough?

Codless speed controllers arent essential on the lower power tools, eg
2.4v. In fact they wouldnt really gain you anything on those.

I would agree, although in general we have not covered much below 9.6V
(what is there is more of an after thought)

It could do with someone's experience on soemthing between 2.4 and 12v,
and some experience of what one can actually do with a £25 special.

I have used an early Skil 2.4V screwdriver. Good for light screwdriving
and flatpack assembly, however you typically needed to do the final
tightening by hand since it would run out of puff.

My first cordless drill was a 7.2V Richmond Tools one. Twin speed box,
no speed controller. It used to get frequent use for light screwing and
drilling tasks. It was very good for assembling flatpack furniture etc.
Also ok for drilling in wood. The gearbox was not that robust however
and a snaging spade bit stripped a tooth from a cog once.

Limits on performance were sticking a 2" screw into a rawlplug, or about
1.5" into solid timber (if not pre drilled). It got retired when I got a
better 9.6V one, however recently has been pressed back into service as
a light screwdriver after the happy discovery that the battery pack fits
my Makita charger... Hence it is now a 15 min charge rather than 16 hours!

Batteries: higher voltage doesnt just mean more drilling power, it also
means a longer work time from each charge.

Well, that kind of depends on the drain rate, you can use the extra
voltage to get extra power and/or extra run time depending on how you
design it.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Phil Addison

wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/drill.htm

"For basic operations, the budget tools will do pretty much what the
high end ones will"

Something occurs to me about this. A guy I know had a load of real
cheapo power tools for site work, £10 drills and angle grinders etc,
and the tools were dead within a month. It seems the plastic gears were
really only capable of lasting if the tool only saw occasional use. So
I'm not sure one can say budget will do what decent stuff will. Also
there is quite a high failure rate on low end tools.

Perhaps add
'though the low end ones often dont last very well'

added

Bear in mind old B&D drills arent cheapskate stuff, theyre maybe the
low end of midmarket. Power devil for example is not comparable with
B&D.

Seems simplest to delete the reference to b&d.

Codless speed controllers arent essential on the lower power tools, eg
2.4v. In fact they wouldnt really gain you anything on those.

Maybe:
This essential feature, - This essential feature (though not on the
lowest voltage tools),

I've woven this in.

It could do with someone's experience on soemthing between 2.4 and 12v,
and some experience of what one can actually do with a £25 special.

Agreed.

Batteries: higher voltage doesnt just mean more drilling power, it also
means a longer work time from each charge.

Perhaps this sort of detail ought to go into separate FAQs, e.g.
Cordless Charger FAQ and Cordless Battery FAQ.

Charging is an important topic, only touched on in this faq.

There is more information here
http://www.shopforpowertools.com/too...batteries.html
and much more here (although oriented towards phone batteries)
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Ba...batteries.html
and here
http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_NiCd_Battery.html
http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magaz...er/index.shtml
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...type=art icle
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/ms/article.asp?id=1910

Phil

Phil Addison

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:51:25 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm

[...]

Hi John, what do you think of the revised words in that para that I
uploaded while you were typing that?

I noticed there is no mention of reverse under cordless (only under
mains), so took a gamble and added that they all have it. Is that
actually true?

[...]

Sounds good to me.

Phil

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Rumm

Phil Addison wrote:

Hi John, what do you think of the revised words in that para that I
uploaded while you were typing that?

Yup they look ok... the only slight funny is you now have a sentance
that says cheap one don't last well, followed by another that says
better ones last longer. The latter now seems redundant under the
circumstances. ;-)

I noticed there is no mention of reverse under cordless (only under
mains), so took a gamble and added that they all have it. Is that
actually true?

Well, I have never seen a cordless drill that does not have a reverse...
So I would expect that is a safe statement.

It could do with someone's experience on soemthing between 2.4 and 12v,
and some experience of what one can actually do with a £25 special.

I have used...

snip

my Makita charger... Hence it is now a 15 min charge rather than 16 hours!

Sounds good to me.

You may want to massage that a little first - it was not quite in
cut'n'paste format! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil Addison

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:10:07 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

Hi John, what do you think of the revised words in that para that I
uploaded while you were typing that?

Yup they look ok... the only slight funny is you now have a sentance
that says cheap one don't last well, followed by another that says
better ones last longer. The latter now seems redundant under the
circumstances. ;-)

B**ger!!

snip

my Makita charger... Hence it is now a 15 min charge rather than 16 hours!

Sounds good to me.

You may want to massage that a little first - it was not quite in
cut'n'paste format! ;-)

It's more of a pummelling - you may not recognize it ;-)

Phil
Phil Addison

The extended "Power Tools FAQ" (by John Rumm)
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/index.htm

and the "Drill-bits and Drilling FAQ" (by John Schmitt)
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

are now live in the main uk.d-i-y FAQ.
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Thanks are due to all of you that contributed comments and suggestions
to both these FAQs, and indeed to the two Johns for the original
articles.

I have also made an editing pass over most (but not all!) pages to make
the layouts a bit more consistent. If you notice any bad links or other
glitches as a result please let me know.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Rumm

Phil Addison wrote:

and the "Drill-bits and Drilling FAQ" (by John Schmitt)
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

Did you mean for the intro to say: "with the piece *of* metal drilling
from Dave"?

are now live in the main uk.d-i-y FAQ.
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

OK, I have added a .htaccess to my drafts directory such that all
requests will now end up there.

I have also made an editing pass over most (but not all!) pages to make
the layouts a bit more consistent. If you notice any bad links or other
glitches as a result please let me know.

(I see you only added 10% to the line height.... is there sucha a thing
as typography agrophobia? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.