John Rumm

" point but a flat cutting edge and look a little like a small spade. A
sharp flat bit will rapidly cut a pretty clean hole"

I've never seen that, always been messy, even with a new drill bit. I'd
say: 'Flat bits make messy holes, can be unstable, and can't be used to
widen existing holes. Theyre suited to drilling large holes, where
other bit types get expensive.'

I have found that I can get a nice neat hole with flat bits - but the
exit is what is usually messy (fixable with a backing block or by
drilling from the other side once the spike breakes through)

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |