Phil Addison wrote:
On 21 Sep 2005 07:54:47 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/testing/powertools/drill.htm

"For basic operations, the budget tools will do pretty much what the
high end ones will"

Something occurs to me about this. A guy I know had a load of real
cheapo power tools for site work, =A310 drills and angle grinders etc,
and the tools were dead within a month. It seems the plastic gears were
really only capable of lasting if the tool only saw occasional use. So
I'm not sure one can say budget will do what decent stuff will. Also
there is quite a high failure rate on low end tools. Perhaps add
'though the low end ones often dont last very well'

Bear in mind old B&D drills arent cheapskate stuff, theyre maybe the
low end of midmarket. Power devil for example is not comparable with
B&D.

Codless speed controllers arent essential on the lower power tools, eg
2=2E4v. In fact they wouldnt really gain you anything on those.

Maybe:
This essential feature, - This essential feature (though not on the
lowest voltage tools),

It could do with someone's experience on soemthing between 2.4 and 12v,
and some experience of what one can actually do with a =A325 special.

Batteries: higher voltage doesnt just mean more drilling power, it also
means a longer work time from each charge.

NT