Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
=========================
C&D Test Results:

Prius Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph 15.5
50-70 mph 20.9

BMW 530I Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph: 0.3
50-70 mph: 0.2
=========================

There you go. The Prius ****es all over it.

You don't seem to read the same figures as everyone else.

I do. The ones above. Which say that the Prius ****es over the BMW. Boy
are you dumb!

No they don't. Try reading them again. ;-)

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A taxi spends all (most) of its time in town. A Prius only achieves its
official mpg rating because that test only includes a low town mileage,

The advantage of the Prius isn't that it has a good mileage under
optimum conditions, it's that its efficiency under bad conditions
(stop-start) doesn't suffer as badly as a conventional vehicle does.

For Californian freeways, a Prius certainly isn't a zero-emission
vehicle (unless you're topping it up from Mr Fusion at night). For that
sort of moderate mileage, moderate speed but relatively free-flowing
traffic, then the Smart approach (small, light, efficient,
direct-drive) is far better.

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A taxi spends all (most) of its time in town. A Prius only achieves its
official mpg rating because that test only includes a low town mileage,

The advantage of the Prius isn't that it has a good mileage under
optimum conditions, it's that its efficiency under bad conditions
(stop-start) doesn't suffer as badly as a conventional vehicle does.

For Californian freeways, a Prius certainly isn't a zero-emission
vehicle (unless you're topping it up from Mr Fusion at night). For that
sort of moderate mileage, moderate speed but relatively free-flowing
traffic, then the Smart approach (small, light, efficient,
direct-drive) is far better.

Also it is real fun to drive with the absence of a gearbox. It is worth
getting for not having a gearbox.

T i m

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:45:27 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

You must be poor as you drive an appalling car.

I drive what I drive because it was cheap to get, cheap to run (and
does as good an mpg as you Primus) and won't loose me ANY money when I
want to get rid of it.

It also tows a trailer, because unlike you (as mentioned by others) my
intrerests lie elsewhere and my Rover CAN tow my 14' sailing dinghy
and your Primus can tow nothing. But then I don't suppose you get much
spare time .. what with all the overtime you have to do (counting
copper pipe fittings) to afford your spaceship.

Do children throw stones at
you and the car?

No, because it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb .. and I don't
pretent to be a celeb ...

T i m

p.s. Like I said .. when a hybrid can actually do something good for
the environment (like give decent not average mpg) I'll help reduce
pollution any further by sticking with what I've got.

Doctor Drivel

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:

How has Clarkson managed to convince us that a car's performance is
important in a country where 0-60 is hardly ever possible, and dangerous
when it is?

Clarkson hasn't convinced me of anything. 0-60 has traditionally been

one
measure of a car's performance. Nothing more or less. You can use it to
compare with others, that's all. Perhaps more important is the

overtaking
ability from say 30-50. Cars which are slow in doing so are dangerous.

And, unless you're a boy racer or an Essex tart, whether it's cool or
not is of no interest.

The 'cool' board on TG is a bit of fun. You know what that is?

I know what fun is, and the only connection with cars is that they might
be able to transport you to some.

That does happen. Occasionally they take him to the Fun Fair in a sort of
car - a mini bus with locked doors.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:46:11 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
T i m wrote:

Yes. Question for you. On a 1000 mile journey, how many miles of that
will your IC egine be running?

Easy, 999.6

Have you done it?

I don't think any of us need to

You are guessing again.

T i m

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:47:04 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:59:37 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

"The Prius, it's as economical as a Land Cruiser."

LOL !

Thanks for that Steve ;-)

I would have laughed only he is serious. He needs professional attention.

No, we are laughing AT you Dribble .. you can join in if you like
(it's what your type often do out of embarrasement).

T i m

T i m

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:25:38 +0100, Owain
wrote:

T i m wrote:
What if we all adopted that stance, what would *they* buy then?

Scorpion tank.

But you need a track vehicle licence for those, 3 hours at the local
digger training centre.

Owain

;-)

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

You must be poor as you drive an appalling car.

I drive what I drive because
it was cheap to get, cheap to run

The word cheap some sup a lot. You must be a cheapskate.

p.s. Like I said .. when a hybrid
can actually do something good for
the environment

They are so good they are encouraged in cities. Are you really that dumb.

T i m

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:21:38 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Found on the web:

=========================
C&D Test Results:

Prius Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph 5.5
50-70 mph 7.9

BMW 530I Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph: 13.3
50-70 mph: 12.3
=========================

There you go. The Prius ****es all over it.

Or if they do a major re-work they can get one to perform like most
other std cars at that price ..

http://www.toyota.com/inyourworld/20...ber/prius.html

(is that a Fiat Punto in the picture?) ;-)

See .. "Yet another harbinger of hybrids to come, the technology is
proving green and fun can coexist."

But not yet then ... ;-)

T i m

John Schmitt

Owain wrote:

What an ugly tank

And for those of us who haven't seen one, what does the car look like?

Rather like the image of one at www.toyota.co.uk ,strangely enough. It
is not nearly as ugly as the last incarnation of the Ford
Granada/Scorpio and the AMC Gremlin is in pole position in the butt-ugly
stakes. I was reading a review of the thing and apart from being ugly,
it appears to be quite reasonable to drive. Certainly for Londoners
(especially the congestion zone victims) it seems a not unreasonable
machine to look at.

John Schmitt

T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:52:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You must be poor as you drive an appalling car.

I drive what I drive because
it was cheap to get, cheap to run

The word cheap some sup a lot. You must be a cheapskate.

Nope, this is you this is .. "A fool and his money are easily parted"

p.s. Like I said .. when a hybrid
can actually do something good for
the environment

They are so good they are encouraged in cities.

But the majority of people don't drive 'in cities' and if they did it
would be further than the 5 miles you can do on batteries alone
(kerbside emissions) and could walk / cycle to be really 'green'.

Are you really that dumb.

Because I can't ger perpetual motion to work .. I must be?

T i m

Prius 54 mpg (£16,000)
Rover 50 mpg (£100)
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
AJH wrote:

The torque at the output for the electric generator can be controlled
by the load on the generator, its output can feed either battery or
electric motor, so the power is not wasted. This torque reference then
controls torque at the output, thus effectively giving a constantly
variable gearing between engine and rear wheels between the upper and
lower limits of the output gearing, 0- final drive ratio I think.

You're exactly right.

Not quite. "giving a constantly variable gearing between engine and rear
wheels", is incorrect.

The power splitter, is a misnomer, it should be called a power merger. It
merges the power of the petrol and electric motors, which operate in
parallel, presenting it as an electric motor to the diff/wheels. There is
no raising and lowering ratios from power source and the diff/wheels. No
CVT.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

that seems a reasonable enough statement.

Not really, as the IC engine is well past its sell by date, being
hopelessly inefficient.

That will be why the Prius uses one?

And an electric motor too. Have you noticed? You are so thick.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
It is. It ****es all over the 5 series in mid acceleration.

Do you have a source for this nonsense?

It's the quoted

Correct a source and quoted.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
=========================
C&D Test Results:

Prius Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph 15.5
50-70 mph 20.9

BMW 530I Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph: 0.3
50-70 mph: 0.2
=========================

There you go. The Prius ****es all over it.

You don't seem to read the same figures as everyone else.

I do. The ones above. Which say that the Prius ****es over the BMW.

Boy
are you dumb!

No they don't. Try reading them again. ;-)

Did you have your reading glasses on, or did you sit on them?

T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:09:23 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
It is. It ****es all over the 5 series in mid acceleration.

Do you have a source for this nonsense?

It's the quoted 30-50 time in 6th gear in the manual gearbox one. Which
you wouldn't normally engage until 60 or so. My auto 5 Series won't engage
5th until near 60 mph even with manual control.

Drivel is so stupid he can't understand everyone would compare an auto
with the Prius. Since anyone who had learnt to drive on a Prius wouldn't
be allowed to drive a manual anyway.

With one of those 'fiddley, complex, unreliable gearbox things' ..
come on!

My 12 year old daughter can manage the 4 speed manual box on yer
Yamaha TY80 trials bike so Dribble *should* be able .. ah .. maybe not
... ;-)

T i m

Doctor Drivel

"John Schmitt" wrote in message
Owain wrote:

What an ugly tank

And for those of us who haven't seen one, what does the car look like?

Rather like the image of one at www.toyota.co.uk ,strangely enough. It
is not nearly as ugly as the last incarnation of the Ford
Granada/Scorpio and the AMC Gremlin is in pole position in the butt-ugly
stakes.

But you think the Rover 75 is pretty. No accounting for Philistines.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:52:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You must be poor as you drive an appalling car.

I drive what I drive because
it was cheap to get, cheap to run

The word cheap some sup a lot. You must be a cheapskate.

Nope, this is you this is .. "A fool and his money are easily parted"

You are right but are still a cheapskate.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:21:38 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Found on the web:

=========================
C&D Test Results:

Prius Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph 5.5
50-70 mph 7.9

BMW 530I Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph: 13.3
50-70 mph: 12.3
=========================

There you go. The Prius ****es all over it.

Or if they do a major re-work they can get one to perform like most
other std cars at that price ..

http://www.toyota.com/inyourworld/20...ber/prius.html

(is that a Fiat Punto in the picture?) ;-)

See .. "Yet another harbinger of hybrids to come, the technology is
proving green and fun can coexist."

But not yet then ... ;-)

You are slow. Now! They showed you the piccie of the overt fun. They are
just fun all the time.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message

My 12 year old daughter can manage the 4 speed manual box on yer
Yamaha TY80 trials bike so Dribble *should* be able .. ah .. maybe not
.. ;-)

You have a 12 year old girl on trails bike? You are nust!!!!!

T i m

AJH wrote:

The torque at the output for the electric generator can be controlled
by the load on the generator, its output can feed either battery or
electric motor, so the power is not wasted. This torque reference then
controls torque at the output, thus effectively giving a constantly
variable gearing between engine and rear wheels between the upper and
lower limits of the output gearing, 0- final drive ratio I think.

You're exactly right.

Not quite. "giving a constantly variable gearing between engine and rear
wheels", is incorrect.

The power splitter, is a misnomer, it should be called a power merger. It
merges the power of the petrol and electric motors, which operate in
parallel, presenting it as an electric motor to the diff/wheels. There is
no raising and lowering ratios from power source and the diff/wheels.

So the motor spins at the same rpm as the road wheels?

T i m
T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:20:32 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

My 12 year old daughter can manage the 4 speed manual box on yer
Yamaha TY80 trials bike so Dribble *should* be able .. ah .. maybe not
.. ;-)

You have a 12 year old girl on trails bike? You are nust!!!!!

Yes (she was 6 when she started on her PW50 but that had a CVT like
the Prius) .. 'today' kids can do this sort of thing .. she's also a
keen archer and clay target shooter ... (12G semi auto) you will have
to come along someday .....

But fun for you is finding a compression joint in amongst the solder
ones isn't it ...

T i m

T i m

Doctor Drivel wrote:

that seems a reasonable enough statement.

Not really, as the IC engine is well past its sell by date, being
hopelessly inefficient.

That will be why the Prius uses one?

And an electric motor too. Have you noticed? You are so thick.

Driven by an IC engine ... a bit like a diesel electric train ...
except it doesn't carry 800 passengers ...

Doh!

T i m

T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:16:25 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:52:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You must be poor as you drive an appalling car.

I drive what I drive because
it was cheap to get, cheap to run

The word cheap some sup a lot. You must be a cheapskate.

Nope, this is you this is .. "A fool and his money are easily parted"

You are right but are still a cheapskate.

So, when you aren't counting copper fittings ... what else you *you*
do Dribble?

T i m

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
The 'cool' board on TG is a bit of fun. You know what that is?

I know what fun is, and the only connection with cars is that they might
be able to transport you to some.

Then I'm amazed you've watched TG.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Also it is real fun to drive with the absence of a gearbox. It is worth
getting for not having a gearbox.

My car doesn't have a gearbox either in the terms you use for one. Neither
has any other automatic.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Drivel

AJH wrote:

[...]

There are two motors

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Schmitt wrote:
I was reading a review of the thing and apart from being ugly,
it appears to be quite reasonable to drive. Certainly for Londoners
(especially the congestion zone victims) it seems a not unreasonable
machine to look at.

Fine if you can afford a town only car as it's poor on the open road with
heavy fuel consumption. And the latest one is even worse fuel consumption
wise although it has better open road performance.

If I wanted a town only car I'd go for a Smart. Much easier to park and
much cheaper.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
=========================
C&D Test Results:

Prius Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph 15.5
50-70 mph 20.9

BMW 530I Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph: 0.3
50-70 mph: 0.2
=========================

There you go. The Prius ****es all over it.
You don't seem to read the same figures as everyone else.

I do. The ones above. Which say that the Prius ****es over the BMW.
Boy are you dumb!

No they don't. Try reading them again. ;-)

Did you have your reading glasses on, or did you sit on them?

Get your nurse to read out the results above to you, since you're
obviously too drunk to manage.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:08:59 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .

AJH wrote:

[...]

Are you American?

There is one electric motor and one IC engine ..

T i m (UK)

T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:08:16 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:20:32 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

My 12 year old daughter can manage the 4 speed manual box on yer
Yamaha TY80 trials bike so Dribble *should* be able .. ah .. maybe not
.. ;-)

You have a 12 year old girl on trails bike? You are nust!!!!!

Yes (she was 6 when she started on her PW50

Irresponsible!

You aren't a parent either are you ...?

Step one, find a girlfriend ... ah ...

T i m

Matt

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Ask the nurse to get you a dictionary off the trolley as well.

Dribble picked one up once but was confused when he couldn't find
anything but an index.

Matt

AJH wrote:

[...]

But you said it did - Yes, you Dribble, "owner" of a DB6 and a Prius
definitely said just over 3 weeks ago that it did.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...da3afa5?hl=en&
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:51:39 +0100
From: "Doctor Drivel"

"The Prius now has a conventional CVT. "

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Also it is real fun to drive with the absence of a gearbox. It is worth
getting for not having a gearbox.

Reconcile that statement with the top gear acceleration times you
quoted previously and notice the fundamental flaw in your latest
posting.

T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:04:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
The 'cool' board on TG is a bit of fun. You know what that is?

I know what fun is, and the only connection with cars is that they might
be able to transport you to some.

Then I'm amazed you've watched TG.

To some degree I'm with Stuart on this one.

I was on the road with my first (bought cheap / repaired myself) moped
on my 16th birthday and worked my way though a series of scooters /
motorbikes from there. Had (have) a Messerschmitt KR200 because it was
cheap / economical and kept me dry. A couple of vans, estates and
various other cheap cars since then for 'transport'. I rarely go
anywhere without a reason .. possibly something to do with the traffic
in Nth London, partly because I don't *like* the attitudes of some of
my fellow road users and because I don't see the need to try to get
entertainment from 'transport' when I have so many other things to do
that are much more fun?

Kids are honest .. how may say they look forward to a 'nice long trip
in the car' ..? We now have to provide them games consoles / DVD
players to get them to go anywhere without complaint? Even riding
pillion on my 1000cc motorbile only has so much novelty value for my
kid (she would generally rather go in the car because at least she can
'do' stuff like listen to her .mp3 player or draw etc ..).

At the same time I do try to catch TG, initially it was to see the
technical stuff and now it is more of an 'entertainment' program, just
because there is little else I would rather watch.

I also will watch (and go to) some Motorsport events .. more as a 'day
out with the kids' than because I follow any of it closely.

I have competed (EV's funnily) and race to reasonable standard 4wd
electric touring cars / buggies / sailing boats, just because they are
easier to build / store (with less rules / regs) and *I* get more fun
overall than racing on the road or track (less effort). Not cheap
though .. my Yokomo MR4TC cost 5 times that of my Rover 218 ...?

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:12:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John Schmitt wrote:
I was reading a review of the thing and apart from being ugly,
it appears to be quite reasonable to drive. Certainly for Londoners
(especially the congestion zone victims) it seems a not unreasonable
machine to look at.

Fine if you can afford a town only car as it's poor on the open road with
heavy fuel consumption. And the latest one is even worse fuel consumption
wise although it has better open road performance.

If I wanted a town only car I'd go for a Smart. Much easier to park and
much cheaper.

But this is the point isn't it Dave .. it's easy for folk to get
suckered into the whole ecology thing without realising that 54 mpg
from a Prius, with ALL that extra gubbins is not a particularly
brilliant thing (in real everyday terms).

As I said, if (and when) hybrids are doing twice that of a
conventionasl vehicle with better pollution figures then I might take
interest ..

At the moment it's as economical for me to use the Rover 218 as it is
the BMW R100RT (but not the CB250) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Andy Hall

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:16:25 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:52:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You must be poor as you drive an appalling car.

I drive what I drive because
it was cheap to get, cheap to run

The word cheap some sup a lot. You must be a cheapskate.

Nope, this is you this is .. "A fool and his money are easily parted"

You are right but are still a cheapskate.

That's rich, coming from you of the £10 drill from Woollies.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Stuart Noble

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:

The 'cool' board on TG is a bit of fun. You know what that is?

I know what fun is, and the only connection with cars is that they might
be able to transport you to some.

Then I'm amazed you've watched TG.

I think Clarkson's an amusing bloke