Harvey Van Sickle

On 14 Aug 2005, Doctor Drivel wrote

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bioboffin wrote:
The good news is that Toyota (and a few others) have more hybrid
cars in the pipeline in the near future. Lets hope they can
continue to improve.

They certainly will do - but then so will IC engines.

What the hell is he on about.

I'd guess that he means that there are still technical improvements to
be made to IC engines; that seems a reasonable enough statement.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
It doesn\'t matter what it's called, it has gears, it's a gearbox.

I know you are hard of thinking, but I have given an explanation and
using number too.

Given your poor comprehension of the English language it's not surprising
you can't understand a box containing gears is a gearbox.

However, I suggest you buy a dictionary and get your nurse to show you how
to use it. After she's wiped away the dribbling.

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
The truth is that fuel consumption testing hasn't (yet) caught up with
hybrids.

Yup. Something which anyone who reads real world tests knew ages ago.
But it doesn't prevent Toyota exploiting this for advertising. And people
stupid enough to buy this pathetic car at its inflated price ain't going
to admit their mistake readily. Although it seems some in the US are.

Drivel claims to own a Prius which of course is another of his lies.

Anyone who does own one and conducts *proper* fuel usage records rather
than just taking the best from the OBC knows the truth.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:09:58 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

[snip]

The compete motor, power splitter, transmission, inverter and
batteries are guaranteed 8 years.

I'm still waiting for Drivel to point me to a site that backs this up for
the *UK* Prius.

I wonder how much of that is to overcome peoples fears of 'new
technology'? Giving something an 8 year guarantee doesn't state it
will last that long without failure.

The idea of the battery actually lasting 8 years is crap. It's part of the
'selling at a loss' for status or whatever in the US.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Who said the UK? Not me. The UK had them in the 1930s

Which UK car?

An Austin had a toroidal CVT. Now you know.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Apparently there is a class action suit against Toyata in the US now
on the grounds that real users are finding the 60+ mpg advertising
claims unachievable in real world conditions.

Yup. Autocar managed 43 mpg over their touring test. A BMW 320d - much
faster in every way - 48

More senility. He said Autocar managed 23mpg, when everyone else gets
over 50mpg.

I've restored the snipping which you seemed to have done - yet again -
without saying so.

However, Autocar got 23 mpg over their entire 1000 mile or so test.

And Auto Express got 65,pg, and everyone else is 50mpg or way over. Mmm
appears Autocar are telling porkies. A lousy mag too.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
How has Clarkson managed to convince us that a car's performance is
important in a country where 0-60 is hardly ever possible, and dangerous
when it is?

Clarkson hasn't convinced me of anything. 0-60 has traditionally been one
measure of a car's performance. Nothing more or less. You can use it to
compare with others, that's all. Perhaps more important is the overtaking
ability from say 30-50.

The Prius ****es all over a BMW 5 series in that range.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
T i m wrote:
but with what Dribble says and petrol ~£1 / l you would have thought
we'd be knee deep in them by now?

Not at 23 mpg

Sure they are...yes Duh!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bioboffin wrote:
They all have them. Ford have the Escape already on sale. The Lexus
is too. GM, Ford, Nissan, etc are all bringing them out pretty soon
and nearly all using the Toyota power splitter arrangement. Toyota
say in about 4 years every model will have a hybrid equivallent. In
a few years time the batteries will be larger, and cheaper, and hold
more energy too, giving about 60 to 100 miles battery range with
option of grid charging or leaving it to the petrol motor.

Thanks for the reply. You are certainly an enthusiastic advocate for the
marque.

I don't live in London, so it may take a few more years to recover the
intial costs.

Unless you do mainly town driving - and in very heavy traffic - where the
lack of an idling IC engine improves matters, you never will. The normal
fuel consumption given a mixture of town and suburban travel is not good.
All equivalent size/performance diesels will beat it, at less cost. As
will some petrol engined cars. Take it on a motorway and cruise at 70, and
the results are even worse.

I'm not too convinced by the "Hollywood set" with respect to
design. :-)

Well, they'll have one because it may be good to be seen in one at opening
nights etc. But it will stay in the garage at other times. After all, why
drive a stupid car like this when you've got the money for something much
better? Unless you think - like Drivel - that all film stars are into
'saving the planet'. And then, of course, they'd be as stupid as him.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bioboffin wrote:
The good news is that Toyota (and a few others) have more hybrid
cars in the pipeline in the near future. Lets hope they can continue
to improve.

They certainly will do - but then so will IC engines.

They have certainly improved over the years, but the rate of improvement
appears to be slowing. Petrol prices, on the other hand, are increasing
dramatically.

Which will effect hybrid cars with petrol engines like the Prius equally.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
You are learning. ;-)

Oh do **** off, you imbecile. I've forgotten more about transmission
design than you know about selling hacksaws.

Oh, and Dave - first automatic transmission I can find was the Manly-La
France hydraulic one of 1907, used on light waggons and delivery
vehicles. It was a variable stroke hydraulic transmission with a 5
cylinder radial pump and a pair of directly-couple hydraulic motors.

Don't think that's quite the same thing - using an IC engine to power
either a hydraulic pump or electrical generator isn't really suitable for
cars.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Indeed, it's just that he claims some pretty fantastic facts about it?

At 65mpg

Do a Google on this group; Auto Express and Prius. 65mpg they got.

Do a Goggle on this group and Autocar to get the truth.

and (I believe) Co2 figures not dissimilar to many current
much cheaper offerings,

But it is not running on the engine all the time so overall far, far
less. You can't figure this out can you

So the energy in the batteries comes from your planet Zog?

What a fool.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Automatic gearboxes have been available for some 50 years.

Such amazing information. In fact they have been around since the 1920s

Perhaps you'd name a car sold in the UK in the '20s with an auto box?

Who said the UK? Not me.

The UK had them in the 1930s

You just made that up

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Doctor Drivel wrote:

No CVT, the car has no CVT. NO gearbox.

The Prius has an automatic
gearbox with planetary gears
which acts as a CVT.

WRONG!! No gearbox or CVT.

But YOU said it did - just over 3 weeks ago.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...da3afa5?hl=en&
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:51:39 +0100
From: "Doctor Drivel"

"The Prius now has a conventional CVT. "

Yes, you Dribble definitely wrote that. Are you changing your mind
again and will Toyota have to revise all their leaflets? Wouldn't it
be better to take your pills and have a lie down for a few years?

Doctor Drivel

Bioboffin wrote:
The good news is that Toyota (and a few others) have more hybrid
cars in the pipeline in the near future. Lets hope they can
continue to improve.

They certainly will do - but then so will IC engines.

What the hell is he on about.

I'd guess that he means that there are still technical improvements to
be made to IC engines;

He does?

that seems a reasonable enough statement.

Not really, as the IC engine is well past its sell by date, being hopelessly
inefficient.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:06:56 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

and (I believe) Co2 figures not dissimilar to many current
much cheaper offerings,

But it is not running on the engine all the time so overall far, far

less.
You can't figure this out can you?

Yes. Question for you. On a 1000 mile journey, how many miles of that
will your IC egine be running?

Depends on driving conditions. In city driving, were the emissions are far
more critical, not much at all. Even on fast driving the motor comes in
more to boost acceleration, that is why it ****es all over a BMW 5 series.

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

The new Highlander hybrid gets to 60 in 7.3 secs

Positively pedestrian,

You are kidding. The original Ford GT 40s did 0-60 in 6 secs.

In 1966, its now nearly 40 years later and other manufacturers are
light years ahead of the Prius although they do make some rather nice
petrol engines. Give me sub 5 seconds 0-60, 160mph, and 45mpg or
there is no point in me changing.
Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

A Toyota looks nothing like an Audi, and is curvy.
Most peopel comment of the nice advanced looks.

Any comment from their guide dogs?

But you think a Santa Fe is good looking. That is sad. All the Hollywood
set think the Prius is the thing.

Never seen a Santa Fe but that still doesn't stop the Prius looking
like a turd on wheels.

Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:28:47 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

The Prius has an automatic gearbox with planetary gears which acts as a
CVT.

That's a dubious statement though. The epicyclic gearing is there as
torque splitter, not as a controllable change in ratio. Effectively
it's an electrically controlled torque converter with additional
external power input (unlike a fluid torque converter) - but that's
really stretching the point to call it a CVT,

shrug

It also grossly inaccurate to say that it doesn't have a gearboxx when
it does.

Mr Dingley is right and you are wrong. For your comprehension. Gearbox is
raising and lowering ratios between the power sources and diff/wheels The
Prius does not do that.

The whole point about a Prius is that it's a hybrid.

Yup, of course the rest of the point is that as a hybrid it's ;argely
delaying the inevitable and as much about fiddling the figures as about
achieving real world performance.

Can you tell us what figures are fiddled?

Fully charge the batteries and run a
Euro fuel economy test series and it
will show a measurable fuel
consumption improvement against an
IC-only vehicle. However repeat the
test and eventually the battery pack
will bneed recharging and then the
fuel consumption will look seriously
crap against an IC-only vehicle.

What the hell is he on about? The car changes on a repeated test? How
odd!!!

The truth is that fuel consumption
testing hasn't (yet) caught up with
hybrids.

It has, They fill the tank and measure it.

It uses the electric motor because
that just doesn't need a variable speed
transmission (as has been done with
electric cars since 1900). The clever
part of the Prius is the use of this
transmission to improve the
efficiency of the engine cut-in,
compared to previous hybrids.

It's a clever bit of mechanical
engineering. It's also a gearbox.

No gearbox or CVT. You have been told.

Just because Drivel drives one
doesn't mean that they're a bad idea.

Just because they exist doesn't
make them a good idea either.

They are a brilliant idea and are super clean, super silent, super simple,
and super economical. Anbd look the part.

Every test I've seen of a hybrid that
innvolved any element of real-world use
showed that the vehicle used as
much or more fuel than the equivalent
IC-only vehicle.

You made that up.

Most notorious that I can recall
was a trip across the USA where the Prius and Insight only managed 30

(ish) mpg and were
roundly beaten by a diesel engined vehicle.

On the Channel 4 4car website I find that that their Prius returned an
mpg of 45.9 compared with Toyota's claim of 65.7. The testers did manage
to meet Toyota's economy claims over a 740 mile run, but to that they
had to stick to an average of 38 mph, max of 56mph.

For real world comparison, the same people ahve managed to get 47 mpg
out of their Peugeot 407, a considerably larger car than the Prius, and
a better average real-world mpg.

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

[...]

I think you made that up too. What about over a year with normal everyday
driving.

"The Prius's fuel consumption has also provided us with a few smiles. To
date, it has averaged an amazing 60.8mpg - an Auto Express long-termer
record."

On the Channel 4 4car website
I find that that their Prius returned an
mpg of 45.9 compared with Toyota's
claim of 65.7.

...and Auto Expresses of 61 mpg. Driving has to be representative, not boy
racer crap.

The testers did manage
to meet Toyota's economy claims
over a 740 mile run, but to that they
had to stick to an average of 38 mph,
max of 56mph.

Which is the speeds most people do. You are very good at this are you?

For real world comparison, the same
people have managed to get 47 mpg
out of their Peugeot 407, a considerably
larger car than the Prius,

The Prius is sligtly larger than the Mk 1 Avensis.

and a better average real-world mpg.

A filthy complex diesel? Mmmm, yes? Nah, you are not very good at all.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:09:58 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

There is less compexity in the car than normal cars - no gearbox.

I would hardly describe the typical gearbox as 'complex',

Look inside an auto. They also add weight and sap power. Appalling things.

and why would removing it compensate
for the extra 'complexity'

The Prius is not complex, it is very simple with few components.

I wonder how much of that is to overcome peoples fears of 'new
technology'? Giving something an 8 year guarantee doesn't state it
will last that long without failure.

No batteries have been replaced in the USA yet.

Doctor Drivel

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message

As someone in the market for a fuel
efficient car, I have been attracted to
the Prius. I am a little uncertain
about the high purchase price,

Offset by free parking, high mpg, free congestion charges, cheaper
servicing (the electric components are service free) in London. It
will pay for itself in a matter of 5 to 8 years

the cosmetic issues,

A trendy funky design that attracts the Hollywood set.

and more importantly, about the
resale value

Residuals are higher than average.

(dealers don't appear to like it
because of uncertainties about
the new technology.

There is less compexity in the car than normal cars - no gearbox. The
compete motor, power splitter, transmission, inverter and batteries
are guaranteed 8 years.

A problem that Citroens have suffered
from for a number of years thanks to
their unconventional suspension).

100,000s of Prii are made; must be up to 0.5 million by now. They
are to be made in the USA and China to cope with demand The China
plant is for China only.

The good news is that Toyota
(and a few others) have more hybrid cars in the
pipeline in the near future. Lets hope
they can continue to improve.

They all have them. Ford have the Escape already on sale. The Lexus
is too. GM, Ford, Nissan, etc are all bringing them out pretty soon
and nearly all using the Toyota power splitter arrangement. Toyota
say in about 4 years every model will have a hybrid equivallent. In
a few years time the batteries will be larger, and cheaper, and hold
more energy too, giving about 60 to 100 miles battery range with
option of grid charging or leaving it to the petrol motor.

Thanks for the reply. You are certainly an enthusiastic advocate for the
marque.

I have one. What attracted me the seamless smoothness, which comes about
from having no gearbox.

I don't live in London, so it may take
a few more years to recover the
intial costs. I'm not too convinced by
the "Hollywood set" with respect to
design. :-)

At the Oscars many turned up in a Prius rather than a limo.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:11:53 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

We went round the offroad course at Abbingdon (in a diesel Disco, it's
first time off road in 90,000 miles?) and I think it said 'No
Freelanders' at the gate (It didn't mention Prius's but I'm sure they
could do it easily Drivel? .. but they can't tow either) ;-)

A Pirus can fly. Why do you want to drive around in mud? You are mad.

"Hey, everyone, he does have a sense of humour!"

Ok, why would you want to drive around under the delusion that what
you drive changes yer personallity! ("hip and trendy" indeed ..) ;-)

My personality does not change, I am naturally hip and smooth, being an
international man of mystery.

Doctor Drivel

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
news
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bioboffin wrote:
The good news is that Toyota (and a few others) have more hybrid
cars in the pipeline in the near future. Lets hope they can continue
to improve.

They certainly will do - but then so will IC engines.

They have certainly improved over the years,

Where? They are sill hopelessly inefficient.

but the rate of improvement
appears to be slowing. Petrol prices,
on the other hand, are increasing
dramatically.

Yep, and will do further.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The good news is that Toyota (and a few others) have more hybrid
cars in the pipeline in the near future. Lets hope they can continue
to improve.

They certainly will do - but then so will IC engines.

What the hell is he on about.

It's plain English that any 5 year old could understand. Get your planet
Zog translator at work.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
The good news is that Toyota (and a few others) have more hybrid
cars in the pipeline in the near future. Lets hope they can
continue to improve.

They certainly will do - but then so will IC engines.

What the hell is he on about.

I'd guess that he means that there are still technical improvements to
be made to IC engines; that seems a reasonable enough statement.

Drivel doesn't understand the very 'plainest' of English. Or know how to
write it.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:09:58 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Resisuals are higher than average.

Oh come off it !

Look at:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/prius/effi...128683,00.html

"It's also one of the least expensive cars to maintain. Despite boasting
more advanced technology features than any other car in its class, there is
no penalty for owners in terms of its servicing schedule or the cost of
maintenance and crash replacement parts. Taking the price of like-for-like
components, the new Prius is actually cheaper overall to maintain and repair
than many of its key market rivals. Calculating the collective price of
front and rear body parts commonly replaced following a collision, the bill
for the new Prius is up to £762 cheaper than the most popular medium sized
competitor models. On maintenance items, such as filters and brake pads, the
combined cost works out up to £35 less than the competition."

Technically it's a fascinating idea -
maybe even a great one. But it
depends on a battery of huge cost
and unknown service life.

It has been going for 8 years. The Mk 2 is built on the experience of the
Mk 1.

While it's in warranty, this battery isn't
a problem but it does mean that an
out-of-warranty Priapus is a very risky deal.

Why?

Even if it's a great car,
the simple economics (and particuarly
the low value of S/H cars in
general) mean that's it's likely to have
a service life similar to that
of a Yugo. 8 years of "warranty" life,
then kicked around the 200 quid
bargain bucket trade as a "run it till it
breaks" motor.

Strange that the Mk 1 has never done that in any country, and the Mk2 has
been around for a few years now.

In the meantime, the residuals are
already at barrel-bottom levels.

Residuals are above average. You must stop making things up.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
And Auto Express got 65,pg, and everyone else is 50mpg or way over. Mmm
appears Autocar are telling porkies. A lousy mag too.

Auto Express is the Sun of car magazines. They don't conduct proper tests
but rely on maker's claims.

I'm not surprised you like it.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:40:04 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

You are learning. ;-)

Oh do **** off, you imbecile. I've forgotten more about transmission
design

Well you forgot a lot as it took you a number of time to get to grips with
the Prius and still didn't get it right.

Oh, and Dave - first automatic transmission I can find was the Manly-La
France hydraulic one of 1907,

He said it was 1955

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:51:47 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

3) It seems to have lasted the ~26 miles and only 24 of them have

been
on the IC engine ... !

You made that up.

Well it's possible it 'is' made up because *you* told me the std Prius
only did about 2 miles on batteries alone? Where you lying again?

It also recharges the batteries via the brakes and the engine, and when
enough juice it them moves on the electric motor. So you did make it up.

What's that got to do with it?

It charges the batteries. Can't you get that one?

snip

Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Doctor Drivel wrote:

the Prius makes big sense

Only

snip misinformation and babble

Doctor Drivel

Steve Firth wrote:

The testers did manage
to meet Toyota's economy claims over a 740 mile run, but to that they
had to stick to an average of 38 mph, max of 56mph.

And to show that isn't such great shakes, one of the Autocar staff
journalists has managed to get better than 68 mpg in an Audi 100 and a
Toyota Land Cruiser on economy runs from Land's End to john O'Groats. So
the Prius figure looks even more feeble.

You are silly. People don't drive around doing economy runs. They drive
normally in normal conditions. Auto Express...61mpg.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:44:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
but with what Dribble says and petrol ~£1 / l you would have thought
we'd be knee deep in them by now?

Not at 23 mpg - they're dreadful. Get a decent diesel at half the price.

lol. Got one Dave, at 1/160th of the price (Rover 218SD

You poor *******.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:59:37 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

"The Prius, it's as economical as a Land Cruiser."

LOL !

Thanks for that Steve ;-)

I would have laughed only he is serious. He needs professional attention.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Doctor Drivel wrote:

WRONG!! No gearbox or CVT.

The planetary cluster is called a power splitter.

It doesn\'t matter what it's called, it has gears, it's a gearbox.

I know you are hard of thinking, but I have given an explanation and

using
numbers too.

I agree, your anwer was a pile of number twos.

No, No 1s and No. 3s.

snip drivel

Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Clarkson hasn't convinced me of anything. 0-60 has traditionally been
one measure of a car's performance. Nothing more or less. You can use
it to compare with others, that's all. Perhaps more important is the
overtaking ability from say 30-50.

The Prius ****es all over a BMW 5 series in that range.

What a ******.

The 5 Series M5 is regarded as the best performance car in the world -
beating Ferrari et all. Even by Clarkson. And from 30-50 would leave the
Prius in its smell of frying electrics.

As, of course, would any 5 Series. With a driver who knew how to drive.

So stick to your slow and uneconomical milk float. You just know it makes
sense. Until you come to try and sell it. Where it will be worth nothing.

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Doctor Drivel wrote:

std polluting car

Cleanest there is

Umm,

snip confused drivel about cars oil scale reducers, etc, all in one
statement.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Effectively it's an electrically controlled
torque converter with additional
external power input (unlike a fluid torque
converter) - but that's really stretching
the point to call it a CVT,

Split a powertrain into three modules:

1 petrol motor,
2 gearbox (CVT or otherwise),
3 diff/wheels It is in sequence,

1, 2, 3. Simple.

Unless the gearing between either engine and rear wheels is fixed, it's a
variable gearbox. End of story, no matter how much you squirm.

What is he on about? Anyone know?

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
As someone in the market for a fuel efficient car, I have been
attracted to the Prius. I am a little uncertain about the high
purchase price,

Offset by free parking, high mpg, free congestion charges, cheaper
servicing (the electric components are service free) in London.

Wonder

snip off topic out of focus drivel

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
It doesn\'t matter what it's called, it has gears, it's a gearbox.

I know you are hard of thinking, but I have given an explanation and
using number too.

Given

snip confused babble

I wonder if they have cleaned his bib yet.