Pandora

Default Is CAT6 worth it for home networking?

The floorboards are up at home and I am ready to buy a truckload of
cable for domestic structured wiring.

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

I'm leaning towards CAT6 but terminating it with standard RJ45 wall
plates as an interim solution. Might pull in a few optic fibres too if
I feel lucky.

Will I be able to connect phones into the CAT6 cable without a problem?
(I know CAT5e is OK for PSTN.)

Also what distance should the CAT6 be separated from CT100 cable?

I know that this has been discussed in previous threads but I want to
see if the view has changed now that the price of high bandwidth cable
has fallen.

Spike

"Pandora" wrote in message
ups.com...
The floorboards are up at home and I am ready to buy a truckload of
cable for domestic structured wiring.

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

I'm leaning towards CAT6 but terminating it with standard RJ45 wall
plates as an interim solution. Might pull in a few optic fibres too if
I feel lucky.

Will I be able to connect phones into the CAT6 cable without a problem?
(I know CAT5e is OK for PSTN.)

Also what distance should the CAT6 be separated from CT100 cable?

The category of cabling is not determined just by the quality of the
components used.. You can use a Cat6 system from end to end, but if its not
laid and tested correctly, then it wont meet the category standard..

Having said that, in a home situation, I cant really see it making that much
of a diference..

Go for Cat 6, as the cost of the cable is only a bit more expensive than cat
5... Cat 6 can handle higher frequencies (and thuis higher bitrates) than
cat 5, but AFAIK there arent any applications that require this as yet..

I quite happily connect gigabit kit up with cat5e systems with no problems
at all..

And yes, telephones will work quite happily over cat 6 cable, as long as
youve got the right adapters..

Dave Liquorice

On 18 Jul 2005 06:02:31 -0700, Pandora wrote:

I'm leaning towards CAT6 but terminating it with standard RJ45 wall
plates as an interim solution. Might pull in a few optic fibres too
if I feel lucky.

The majority of the cost of cabling is getting access and installing.
The cable is cheap, bung in the best you can afford and lots of it.
Think about probably uses of areas, now and future, when the babies
have grown to school kids or the kids have left home. I'd go for an
absolute minimum of 1 RF and two network cables to every room in the
house.

I'd also make provision for moderately pain free access to the cable
routes if at all possible, 3x3" or 4x4" ducts with draw strings etc.

I can't think that one needs to woory undely about keeping CT100 away
from network cabling. The regs have somethings to say about low
volatge stuff and mains though, not the same compartment in ducting
and 50mm (or is 100mm?) separation without a barrier.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

cs

Be smart and put in plastic trunking (or whatever it's called) in a
structured manner. That way you won't have to worry about what to
do when your wiring needs an upgrade. This guy for example won't
have any problems rewiring his house:

http://mhuys.free.fr/chantier/murscloisons/gaines3.htm

I however will, despite the fact that my house was wired from scratch
two years ago, before I bought it. All my electric wires are well and
truly fixed and can't be pulled a mm either way, probably making any
future rewiring a complete nightmare, although hopefully that won't
be my problem then :-( ...

Pandora wrote:
The floorboards are up at home and I am ready to buy a truckload of
cable for domestic structured wiring.

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

I'm leaning towards CAT6 but terminating it with standard RJ45 wall
plates as an interim solution. Might pull in a few optic fibres too if
I feel lucky.

Will I be able to connect phones into the CAT6 cable without a problem?
(I know CAT5e is OK for PSTN.)

Also what distance should the CAT6 be separated from CT100 cable?

I know that this has been discussed in previous threads but I want to
see if the view has changed now that the price of high bandwidth cable
has fallen.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:22:26 +0000 (UTC), cs
wrote:

This guy for example won't
have any problems rewiring his house:

http://mhuys.free.fr/chantier/murscloisons/gaines3.htm

I have never understood why modern houses don't come with artificial
ceilings, as fitted in most offices thse days?

That way pipes, cables and ducts can simply be routed without having
to lift floorboards or cut/drill joists.

Unfortunately, in out house the ceilings are too low, otherwise I
would have done this when we moved in.

sponix

Martin Angove

wrote:

This guy for example won't
have any problems rewiring his house:

http://mhuys.free.fr/chantier/murscloisons/gaines3.htm

I have never understood why modern houses don't come with artificial
ceilings, as fitted in most offices thse days?

That way pipes, cables and ducts can simply be routed without having
to lift floorboards or cut/drill joists.

Unfortunately, in out house the ceilings are too low, otherwise I
would have done this when we moved in.

Precisely.

Two things:

Houses are usually given planning permission which has a stipulation
about overall height or height-to-ridge. If you have to allow an extra
six inches (or whatever) on each floor for the false ceiling, then this
ridge height could become excessive.

A taller house (for the same floor area) costs more to build.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... It is fatal to live too long.
Steve Jones

Pandora wrote:

The floorboards are up at home and I am ready to buy a truckload of
cable for domestic structured wiring.

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

Yes.

The world is going wireless.

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking gear and
some DECT 'phones.

I'm leaning towards CAT6 but terminating it with standard RJ45 wall
plates as an interim solution. Might pull in a few optic fibres too if
I feel lucky.

Will I be able to connect phones into the CAT6 cable without a problem?
(I know CAT5e is OK for PSTN.)

Also what distance should the CAT6 be separated from CT100 cable?

I know that this has been discussed in previous threads but I want to
see if the view has changed now that the price of high bandwidth cable
has fallen.

--
Steve Jones
I.S.Technology Ltd
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:51:15 +0100, Steve Jones wrote:

The world is going wireless.

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking
gear ...

But makes sure you configure it correctly and follow all the security
advice.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

dennis@home

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:51:15 +0100, Steve Jones wrote:

The world is going wireless.

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking
gear ...

But makes sure you configure it correctly and follow all the security
advice.

Spoilsport.
There are three open ones that I use for few minutes every few days when I
am shopping that I find quite useful.

I did think about changing the password on one of them but decided against
it.

tony sayer

In article , Steve Jones
writes
Pandora wrote:

The floorboards are up at home and I am ready to buy a truckload of
cable for domestic structured wiring.

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

Yes.

The world is going wireless.

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking gear and
some DECT 'phones.

And hope that not too many people are doing the same thing nearby....

--
Tony Sayer

The Natural Philosopher

Steve Jones wrote:

Pandora wrote:

The floorboards are up at home and I am ready to buy a truckload of
cable for domestic structured wiring.

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

Yes.

The world is going wireless.

No, the consumer world is going wireless, but its a far less resilient
technology than wires...or optical fibres.

Which is why real engineers trying to do real broadband laugh at
wireless most, then twisted pair, but go all glowy when they talk
monomode fiber..:-)

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking gear and
some DECT 'phones.

waste of money.

Ive got 6 20 quid phones on a 300 quid PABX coupled to doorphones, and
CAT 5 everywhere.

No interference, no neighbours snooping my conversations or my networks
and rock solid performance.

And because its unfashionable, you can get wired broadband routers for
peanuts. And analog phones AND analog PABX's..

You can get more data down one fiber than you can down the entire radio
spectrum of the world..

But wahetever you put in today will be oboslete tomorrow, which is why I
put in what is obsolescent today but still totally adequate for my
current and projected future needs.

The money I save will go on whatever technology is obsolesecent in 10
years time when I need to upgrade :-)

cs

Steve Jones wrote:

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

Yes.

The world is going wireless.

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking gear and
some DECT 'phones.

Yes, but forget wireless at your "core". If you have the chance to
get your house wired properly then do that. Wireless is great for
convenience and no doubt you will put in a wireless access point as
well, but I *guarantee* that you will *truly* regret not putting down
a few wires if you have the chance to do so.

I have three wireless access points at my house, two Linksys WRT54GS
running firmware from www.sveasoft.com for my "home" network, and a
Cisco Aironet 350 connected to a Cisco 3002 VPN router for my "work"
connectivity, and I can seamlessly switch between the two from my
PC while sitting in my comfortable couch in my livingroom (different
SSIDs and channels). While I can stream MP3s and XVID movies over the
..11g home network, it's inadequate for other video formats like for
streaming video from my Nebula TV server (www.nebula-electronics.com)
to other PCs in my house.

Unfortunately when my house was refurbished the developer did not have
the foresight to wire my place properly, and this is really biting me
now. So in the very near future I will be starting the somewhat messy
job of cutting plasterboard walls and lifting floorboards to be able
to even get gigabit speeds to wherever I would need it.
Timothy Murphy

cs wrote:

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking gear
and some DECT 'phones.

Yes, but forget wireless at your "core". If you have the chance to
get your house wired properly then do that. Wireless is great for
convenience and no doubt you will put in a wireless access point as
well, but I *guarantee* that you will *truly* regret not putting down
a few wires if you have the chance to do so.

I don't agree.
For me, and most people, WiFi is perfectly adequate,
just as DECT phones are.
Drilling holes in ceilings is a thing of the past, TG.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Chip

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:58:31 +0100,it is alleged that Timothy Murphy
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

cs wrote:

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking gear
and some DECT 'phones.

Yes, but forget wireless at your "core". If you have the chance to
get your house wired properly then do that. Wireless is great for
convenience and no doubt you will put in a wireless access point as
well, but I *guarantee* that you will *truly* regret not putting down
a few wires if you have the chance to do so.

I don't agree.
For me, and most people, WiFi is perfectly adequate,
just as DECT phones are.
Drilling holes in ceilings is a thing of the past, TG.

This is why both options are available, opinions sharply differ.

I have DECT phones, but they're no longer actually _needed_ since I
installed cat5 everywhere last month, they'll be going in the bin[1]
as soon as I find some decent wired phones.

WiFi to me is an excellent idea for laptops, but fixed pcs will get a
nice cat5e patch cable into the wall.

[1] They're cheap and nasty ones, wouldn't sell them because it
wouldn't be a nice thing to do to someone, and yes, the plastic parts
will be going in the recycle bin.

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
Timothy Murphy

Chip wrote:

I have DECT phones, but they're no longer actually _needed_ since I
installed cat5 everywhere last month, they'll be going in the bin[1]
as soon as I find some decent wired phones.

Everywhere?
In the garden?
In the loo?
In the attic?

In any case, what rational reason do you have for preferring wired phones?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Bob Mannix

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Chip wrote:

I have DECT phones, but they're no longer actually _needed_ since I
installed cat5 everywhere last month, they'll be going in the bin[1]
as soon as I find some decent wired phones.

Everywhere?
In the garden?
In the loo?
In the attic?

In any case, what rational reason do you have for preferring wired phones?

There is only one reason - you can find the bl**dy things. Other than that
they are inferior!

Bob Mannix

Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:47:14 UTC, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

In any case, what rational reason do you have for preferring wired phones?

I have one ISDN and one POTS line. I have a phone in each room. I plan
to use MSN or DDI to allow different rooms to ring on selected numbers
being called. I want distinctive ring for each member of the family. I
want intelligent route selection.

A few DECT phones really aren't the solution. And being able to take a
DECT phone into the loo is a red herring; it only works if you always
take the phone with you on every visit!

The Natural Philosopher

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Chip wrote:

I have DECT phones, but they're no longer actually _needed_ since I
installed cat5 everywhere last month, they'll be going in the bin[1]
as soon as I find some decent wired phones.

Everywhere?
In the garden?
In the loo?
In the attic?

In any case, what rational reason do you have for preferring wired phones?

They don't work in the above places, so its a great excuse not to answer
the bloody things.
Andy Hall

wrote:

In any case, what rational reason do you have for preferring wired phones?

I have one ISDN and one POTS line. I have a phone in each room. I plan
to use MSN or DDI to allow different rooms to ring on selected numbers
being called. I want distinctive ring for each member of the family. I
want intelligent route selection.

I've done this for some years.

I have two ISDN2e lines and one Business Highway line, each with MSNs.

These are connected to an ISDN PABX (Agfeo AS40) with a mix of
analogue extension lines, internal ISDN lines for faxes and routers.
The Business Highway line gives me emergency phone coverage should the
PABX go tits up - it's on a UPS to cover power failures.

Incoming calls on different numbers ring selected extensions and with
different ring tones. Each of the kids has their own numbers and the
PABX logs the calls for billing them.

There are extension sockets throughout the house, including the attic
(in case I am up there tending servers etc. and the phone rings),
small rooms, garage, detached workshop, cabin, shed and external in
the garden.

A few DECT phones really aren't the solution. And being able to take a
DECT phone into the loo is a red herring; it only works if you always
take the phone with you on every visit!

There's really no need, although I could stick a dect phone base on an
extension, I suppose.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:28:34 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

On 22 Jul 2005 11:02:57 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:
I have one ISDN and one POTS line. I have a phone in each room. I plan
to use MSN or DDI to allow different rooms to ring on selected numbers
being called. I want distinctive ring for each member of the family. I
want intelligent route selection.

I've done this for some years.

I have two ISDN2e lines and one Business Highway line, each with MSNs.

These are connected to an ISDN PABX (Agfeo AS40) with a mix of
analogue extension lines, internal ISDN lines for faxes and routers.

For now I'm going to use a CyberGear Gold...but am building an Asterisk
box to replace it.

The Business Highway line gives me emergency phone coverage should the
PABX go tits up - it's on a UPS to cover power failures.

Yes, mine is HH but will be converted within a few weeks. The incoming
line is right next to the equipment rack, and it'll be on the UPS in
that rack. Not that it matters as line 1 will work without power.

Incoming calls on different numbers ring selected extensions and with
different ring tones. Each of the kids has their own numbers and the
PABX logs the calls for billing them.

There are extension sockets throughout the house, including the attic
(in case I am up there tending servers etc. and the phone rings),
small rooms, garage, detached workshop, cabin, shed and external in
the garden.

Exactly...at least one extension in each room (living room has three, to
allow for reconfiguration of the room, and provision of line for Sky box
if ever needed.

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:53:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In any case, what rational reason do you have for preferring wired
phones?

They don't work in the above places, so its a great excuse not to
answer the bloody things.

And cordless jobbies have poor sound quality compared to a wired. You
don't have to faff about with batteries/charger or have them go flat
in the middle of a call.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Timothy Murphy

Bob Eager wrote:

There are extension sockets throughout the house, including the attic
(in case I am up there tending servers etc. and the phone rings),
small rooms, garage, detached workshop, cabin, shed and external in
the garden.

Exactly...at least one extension in each room (living room has three, to
allow for reconfiguration of the room, and provision of line for Sky box
if ever needed.

I'm completely baffled by this.
Do you both have shares in a CAT6 company?
If you have that many extension points,
presumably you have to carry the phone around with you, and plug it in?
(You surely don't have 3 phones in the living-room?)

Did it not occur to you when you were digging up the garden
to put in a telephone cable, that there is a simpler way?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Andy Hall

On 22 Jul 2005 12:35:14 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

For now I'm going to use a CyberGear Gold...but am building an Asterisk
box to replace it.

Asterisk being the PD gateway SW?

[...]

I've done that. The PABX has an option to grab an outside line on
picking up a given extension, although a Sky box can be set to dial a
prefix digit so there are two solutions.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Chip

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:47:14 +0100,it is alleged that Timothy Murphy
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Chip wrote:

I have DECT phones, but they're no longer actually _needed_ since I
installed cat5 everywhere last month, they'll be going in the bin[1]
as soon as I find some decent wired phones.

Everywhere?
In the garden?
In the loo?
In the attic?

Yes there's a phone in the attic. Don't *want* to answer the phone in
the loo. Long cord will reach the garden.

In any case, what rational reason do you have for preferring wired phones?

Clarity. And lack of unnecessary complication.

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
- Helen Rowland
Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:55:44 UTC, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
There are extension sockets throughout the house, including the attic
(in case I am up there tending servers etc. and the phone rings),
small rooms, garage, detached workshop, cabin, shed and external in
the garden.

Exactly...at least one extension in each room (living room has three, to
allow for reconfiguration of the room, and provision of line for Sky box
if ever needed.

I'm completely baffled by this.
Do you both have shares in a CAT6 company?
If you have that many extension points,
presumably you have to carry the phone around with you, and plug it in?
(You surely don't have 3 phones in the living-room?)

You didn't read what I said. One of the ones in the living room is by
the TV, in case we get a Sky box. The other two are on opposite sides of
the room, so that we don't have to trail wires if we move the room
round.

The concept of having a plug in phone extends to plugging in MORE THAN
ONE PHONE. Do you understand what we meant by MSN? Multiple numbers...so
that different family members can have their own phone. DECT doesn't
hack it when there are multiple extensions from (in my case) three lines
and ten numbers.

This house is big, and rambling. It's nice to phone people elsewhere in
the house. And have a doorphone you can answer in any room. And release
the door lock without going downstairs (possibly from the attic).

As for networking...wired is easier, more reliable (we have thick walls)
and faster. And more secure.

How much does Cat5e cost wnyway? A couple of reels cost me 50 quid. The
sockets are a maximum of a fiver. Compare that to wireless interfaces
and the costs look good.

Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:00:06 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

On 22 Jul 2005 12:35:14 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

For now I'm going to use a CyberGear Gold...but am building an Asterisk
box to replace it.

Asterisk being the PD gateway SW?

That's the one. But I don't like Linux so I'm going to try and run it on
FreeBSD.

Owain

Dave Liquorice wrote:
And cordless jobbies have poor sound quality compared to a wired. You
don't have to faff about with batteries/charger or have them go flat
in the middle of a call.

And proper phones have proper bells[1], not seagull larynxes[2].

Owain

[1] At least my Tele 8782 do.

[2] Cue discussion on the vocal systems of birds.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:55:44 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

There are extension sockets throughout the house, including the attic
(in case I am up there tending servers etc. and the phone rings),
small rooms, garage, detached workshop, cabin, shed and external in
the garden.

Exactly...at least one extension in each room (living room has three, to
allow for reconfiguration of the room, and provision of line for Sky box
if ever needed.

I'm completely baffled by this.
Do you both have shares in a CAT6 company?

Nope.

If you have that many extension points,
presumably you have to carry the phone around with you, and plug it in?

Nope

(You surely don't have 3 phones in the living-room?)

Just one.

Did it not occur to you when you were digging up the garden
to put in a telephone cable, that there is a simpler way?

I had somebody else do the digging in the garden. Trunking was
installed and I can run any signal cables in it.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Chip

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:07:21 +0100,it is alleged that Owain
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
And cordless jobbies have poor sound quality compared to a wired. You
don't have to faff about with batteries/charger or have them go flat
in the middle of a call.

And proper phones have proper bells[1], not seagull larynxes[2].

Owain

[1] At least my Tele 8782 do.

Indeed, I have many 8746s, a few 8782s, and a metric carpload[3] of
706s, 746s, 721s, 741s and misc bits.

Compared to modern phones, _amazingly_ loud.

[2] Cue discussion on the vocal systems of birds.

[3] cue discussion of the differing amounts of carp in a metric and
imperial carpload, and how american carp is different than imperial
carp and it's all a government conspiracy to do us out of goldfish.

--
The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those
which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.
- Helen Rowland
Andy Hall

On 22 Jul 2005 13:30:55 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:00:06 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

On 22 Jul 2005 12:35:14 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

For now I'm going to use a CyberGear Gold...but am building an Asterisk
box to replace it.

Asterisk being the PD gateway SW?

That's the one. But I don't like Linux so I'm going to try and run it on
FreeBSD.

I like FreeBSD as well, certainly for appliance and firewall type
solutions.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:44:30 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I like FreeBSD as well, certainly for appliance and firewall type
solutions.

I like it because I've been using BSD since about 1978!

T i m

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:43:26 GMT, Chip
wrote:

Indeed, I have many 8746s, a few 8782s, and a metric carpload[3] of
706s, 746s, 721s, 741s and misc bits.

We (BT Fulcrum, was it called that then?) did 746's for a while before
they went to be refurbed in Wales somewhere.

I can remember buffing a case on an electric mop (in the training
school) before going into 'Datel' for 5 years .. ;-)

Those where the days .. sigh

All the best ..

T i m

Timothy Murphy

Chip wrote:

Indeed, I have many 8746s, a few 8782s, and a metric carpload[3] of
706s, 746s, 721s, 741s and misc bits.

I seem to have strayed into the uk.luddite newsgroup ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Andy Hall

On 22 Jul 2005 18:04:17 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:44:30 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I like FreeBSD as well, certainly for appliance and firewall type
solutions.

I like it because I've been using BSD since about 1978!

I see. Another afficionado. :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:07:21 +0100, Owain wrote:

And proper phones have proper bells[1],

Oh yes I'd forgotten that, the old place had a central bell of the
PABX, not got the tuit for installing such things here yet. Mind you
with 18" solid stone walls each part of the building needs it's own
bell...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

T i m

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:15:55 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Chip wrote:

Indeed, I have many 8746s, a few 8782s, and a metric carpload[3] of
706s, 746s, 721s, 741s and misc bits.

I seem to have strayed into the uk.luddite newsgroup ...

At least that suff will survive the EMP! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Chip

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:23:39 GMT,it is alleged that T i m
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

wrote:

Chip wrote:

Indeed, I have many 8746s, a few 8782s, and a metric carpload[3] of
706s, 746s, 721s, 741s and misc bits.

I seem to have strayed into the uk.luddite newsgroup ...

At least that suff will survive the EMP! ;-)

This is true. But the telephone exchange wouldn't these days g

I *do* admit to being a bit of a luddite when it comes to
telecommunications gear, but that's the beauty of a free country,
Timothy is free to use the most modern gear, I can use the oldest
stuff I can find, and it all Just Works (tm).

You can even intermix the stuff, although some DECT handsets ignore
the bell wire and thus ring when you're doing outgoing pulse dialing
on an 8746, and of course this effect will also occur if you have ADSL
with multiple microfilters.

OnTopic: I would say yes to the Cat6 unless 5e is cheaper, it probably
*will* be obsolete before the next changeover in networking standards.
WiFi is another possibility, but the rather serious speed limitations
put me off. I do lots of file transfers of 1Gb backup files between
machines on the assumption that all the computers are unlikely to
burst into flames at the same moment. 54Mbit wifi would halve the
speed, even assuming a perfect connection, and it's more difficult to
secure.