The Natural Philosopher

Steve Jones wrote:

Pandora wrote:

The floorboards are up at home and I am ready to buy a truckload of
cable for domestic structured wiring.

But which cable? In 15 years time, will a Dixons shop assistant laugh
at me when I tell him that I want to run his megabandwidth HDTV over a
CAT5e cable?

Yes.

The world is going wireless.

No, the consumer world is going wireless, but its a far less resilient
technology than wires...or optical fibres.

Which is why real engineers trying to do real broadband laugh at
wireless most, then twisted pair, but go all glowy when they talk
monomode fiber..:-)

Save yourself all the hassle and buy some 54Mb wireless networking gear and
some DECT 'phones.

waste of money.

Ive got 6 20 quid phones on a 300 quid PABX coupled to doorphones, and
CAT 5 everywhere.

No interference, no neighbours snooping my conversations or my networks
and rock solid performance.

And because its unfashionable, you can get wired broadband routers for
peanuts. And analog phones AND analog PABX's..

You can get more data down one fiber than you can down the entire radio
spectrum of the world..

But wahetever you put in today will be oboslete tomorrow, which is why I
put in what is obsolescent today but still totally adequate for my
current and projected future needs.

The money I save will go on whatever technology is obsolesecent in 10
years time when I need to upgrade :-)