Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:55:44 UTC, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
There are extension sockets throughout the house, including the attic
(in case I am up there tending servers etc. and the phone rings),
small rooms, garage, detached workshop, cabin, shed and external in
the garden.

Exactly...at least one extension in each room (living room has three, to
allow for reconfiguration of the room, and provision of line for Sky box
if ever needed.

I'm completely baffled by this.
Do you both have shares in a CAT6 company?
If you have that many extension points,
presumably you have to carry the phone around with you, and plug it in?
(You surely don't have 3 phones in the living-room?)

You didn't read what I said. One of the ones in the living room is by
the TV, in case we get a Sky box. The other two are on opposite sides of
the room, so that we don't have to trail wires if we move the room
round.

The concept of having a plug in phone extends to plugging in MORE THAN
ONE PHONE. Do you understand what we meant by MSN? Multiple numbers...so
that different family members can have their own phone. DECT doesn't
hack it when there are multiple extensions from (in my case) three lines
and ten numbers.

This house is big, and rambling. It's nice to phone people elsewhere in
the house. And have a doorphone you can answer in any room. And release
the door lock without going downstairs (possibly from the attic).

As for networking...wired is easier, more reliable (we have thick walls)
and faster. And more secure.

How much does Cat5e cost wnyway? A couple of reels cost me 50 quid. The
sockets are a maximum of a fiver. Compare that to wireless interfaces
and the costs look good.