GTO69RA4

Default Urgent: Oliver lathe bed/legs worth anything, anyone?

Just heard from a friend of mine who shares similar machine interest. He ended
up with the bed and legs assembly for a vintage Oliver wood lathe. He doesn't
want it, and I don't have the space for it, so he wants to know if it's worth
anything.

I haven't seen, so I can't give a really good description. He says it's about
35" high from the floor to the top of the bed. Both legs are identical, so I'm
guessing it's an earlier one. Figures it weights about 250 pounds assembled.
He's located in eastern MA, about a half hour up the coast from Boston.

So is this worth anything? Does anyone want this? He plans on junking very soon
it if no one wants to buy it. I'd hate to see that happen, so speak now or...

GTO(John)
Unisaw A100

So is this worth anything?

Yes.

Does anyone want this?

Yes, but, it's in Boston (wrong coast) and I'm on the east
coast (Lake Michigan).

He plans on junking very soon it if no one wants to buy it.

Ouch!

I'd hate to see that happen, so speak now or...

I really think this needs to be brought to the attention of
the proper authorities. If you don't, I will.

UA100
Joe Gorman

Crossposted with good intentions(Yeah I know where that leads)
Original post
Just heard from a friend of mine who shares similar machine interest. He
ended up with the bed and legs assembly for a vintage Oliver wood lathe. He
doesn't want it, and I don't have the space for it, so he wants to know if
it's worth anything.

I haven't seen, so I can't give a really good description. He says it's
about 35" high from the floor to the top of the bed. Both legs are
identical, so I'm guessing it's an earlier one. Figures it weights about
250 pounds assembled. He's located in eastern MA, about a half hour up the
coast from Boston.

So is this worth anything? Does anyone want this? He plans on junking very
soon it if no one wants to buy it. I'd hate to see that happen, so speak
now or...

GTO(John)

and followup:
Unisaw A100 wrote:

So is this worth anything?

Yes.

Does anyone want this?

Yes, but, it's in Boston (wrong coast) and I'm on the east
coast (Lake Michigan).

He plans on junking very soon it if no one wants to buy it.

Ouch!

I'd hate to see that happen, so speak now or...

I really think this needs to be brought to the attention of
the proper authorities. If you don't, I will.

UA100

Post to rec.crafts woodturning, as this post is being crossposted, and I'm
sure there's a turner in that area willing to relieve him of the problem.
Joe
Paul Bilodeau

I'd be interested if you have more info. like, does it have anything
for a headstock or tailstock? Any other loose parts - like tool rest?
Will the legs and bed come apart fairly easily? What does HE want for
it?

Thanks,
Paul
GTO69RA4

I'd be interested if you have more info. like, does it have anything
for a headstock or tailstock? Any other loose parts - like tool rest?
Will the legs and bed come apart fairly easily? What does HE want for
it?

Thanks,
Paul

Like I said, just a bed and legs. No other parts.I haven't seen it, but he said
the legs unbolt. Don't know how easily. He doesn't have any figure in mind. If
someone wants to make an offer he'd probably take it.

GTO(John)

Unisaw A100

Like I said, just a bed and legs. No other parts.I haven't seen it, but he said
the legs unbolt. Don't know how easily. He doesn't have any figure in mind. If
someone wants to make an offer he'd probably take it.

If it's a No. 159 one man can lift the bed up into/onto a
pick up bed. The legs can also be lifted. You will want to
rest afterwards. This is an older model.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=188

The newer models have smooth sides to the bed.

If it's a larger lathe, bring help.

Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

UA100, who did haul his 159 home in a Wrangler...
GTO69RA4

If it's a No. 159 one man can lift the bed up into/onto a
pick up bed. The legs can also be lifted. You will want to
rest afterwards. This is an older model.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=188

The newer models have smooth sides to the bed.

If it's a larger lathe, bring help.

Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

UA100, who did haul his 159 home in a Wrangler...

He estimated it at 250 pounds as it is, but I doubt that since he's 75 and two
loaded it into his truck.

GTO(John) --who once took home two 20 gallon air compressors and assorted
other tools in a Mazda 626.
Unisaw A100

UA100, who did haul his 159 home in a Wrangler...

GTO(John) --who once took home two 20 gallon air compressors and assorted
other tools in a Mazda 626.

Begging the thread, You Hauled "That" In That Vehicle?

UA100, who did once upon a time in his life hauled lumber in
an MGB (top down of course)...

lathe - metal or wood? Rich Andrews Woodworking 8 March 29th 21 09:43 PM
New Mini Lathe Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 3 December 27th 03 03:19 AM
Harbor Freight Lathe rdspivey Woodturning 23 December 23rd 03 09:07 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 07:42 PM
Logan Lathe Tool Gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 September 18th 03 08:45 AM