Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:57:44 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:07:48 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

You have missed it. A flyer aimed the council estate will be

generalistic
and will not have a large section on wine but concentrate on cheap beer

and
value foods.

What nonsense. Why do you assume
that people living on council
estates don't buy wine and expect
cheap food?

Most don't drink wine, and hence the word generalistic.

How do you know?

The working class wife will go to Tesco maybe see a nice
bottle of wine for fathers day and buy it, with out have to change shops.
Tosco have managed what others thought impossible in that they attract

all
class of people into one shop.

More rubbish.

Not so. The wife get there and all tastes and prices are there for her.

Speak for your own wife.

The products she is most interested in, cheap food, etc, are there, but she
can browse other products aimed at high income groups.

Why do assume that "working class" equates to low income and a desire
to buy cheap food?

The days when the term
"working class" had any meaning
have long gone,

I have read that we don't have a working class anymore.

We don't in the sense that it was understood when the term was first
used.

This is crap. What
are the people in the south London sink estates?

They are people in the south London sink estates. Nothing more and
certainly nothing less.

The man who took them from near disappearing in the 1980s with a cheap
image, was a Mr Lehey (sp), who was European businessman of the year a

few
years ago, who is an Everton fan and that is why the Tesco bags are blue

and
white. He was brought up on a council estate in Liverpool, which many
attribute to his understanding a greater range of people than the typical
blinkered upper middle class management type.

I am not sure that background
has much to do with it.

A lot. he was more in tune with the type of person who would shop at Tesco.
Many of working class origin, who became middle class.

Morrison's had similar humble beginnings
and have completely cocked up.

Morrisons have cocked up? Please.

Absolutely. Look at the share price and look at the car park of most
Safeway stores. The stores are practically empty because of the
assumption that everybody wanted the same product profile regardless
of location.

The issue is presenting the customer
with choice.

That is what Tesco did and still appealed to all the petty snobbery of the
British under one roof. A miracle in the UK to do that.

Not really because the petty snobbery as you put it only exists in
your mind.

What the customer
chooses has much more to do
with disposable income how
busy they are and whether they
like a better quality product at more
money than anything else.

..and also petty snobbery, in the rejection of Aldi, netto and Lidl.

That's simple rejection of crap and exercise of customer choice.

have you been to GUM lately?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:08:29 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:56:50 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

That is true. A flyer in a working class
area is different to one in a
middle class area from the same shop

Please explain what a "working class"
and a "middle class" area is.

You seem to be stereotyping again.

working class group noun [S] (ALSO the working classes)
a social group that consists of people who earn little money, often being
paid only for the hours or days that they work, and who usually do physical
work:

middle class group noun [S] (ALSO the middle classes)
a social group that consists of well-educated people, such as doctors,
lawyers, and teachers, who have good jobs and are neither very rich nor very
poor:

The definitions failed to mention the snob divides between the two.

From the Daily Worker Dictionary presumably. I am surprised it
doesn't mention "the struggle".

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:45:55 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

And Marks and Sparks.

Good stores if you like buying prepared foods....

I can't buy M&S stuff.
It nearly all has so much fat that the doc has banned it.

Even their healthy stuff has twice the fat of other shops.

Likewise, although more for the processed carbohydrate content.
Although one can select to some extent, choices are between
inappropriate and other inappropriate things that I would perhaps like
to buy but can make better anyway.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:18:19 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:48:53 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
Presentation is important.

Homebase beats Wickes hands down on presentation.

You think so? Homebase seems to
be more expensive but offers a bit
more choice. Wickes seems to have
less choice but reasonably spaced
out.

They are not in the same markets. There is an overlap in some products,

but
few of them. Wickes is aimed towards the professional and occasional
serious amateur.

That is only marginally true. One does not see a lot of professional
tradespeople in Wickes as compared with the traditional trade places.

Go in at 8:00 a.m.

Hombase even has soft furnishing. Look at the level of
women in Homebase compared to Wickes.

So not only are you classist, but sexist as well.

No I just look and count. Classist, from a Little Middle Englander? You
actually tell yourself lies and believe them.

I agree with you that Wickes and
Homebase address a different customer
base, albeit with overlaps, but 0/10 for your analysis.

Wrong. I reached 10/10.

There's no point in style without substance, but if I can get good
products, well presented, then I go for that.

You are into petty snobbery and go to where the place is typical Little
Middle England.

Nope. I go for good quality products
well presented. Period.

Because Aldi doesn't have them in directional lighting you don't go for
their great value and quality then. Gosh.

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:57:44 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You have missed it. A flyer aimed the council estate will be

generalistic
and will not have a large section on wine but concentrate on cheap

beer
and
value foods.

What nonsense. Why do you assume
that people living on council
estates don't buy wine and expect
cheap food?

Most don't drink wine, and hence the word generalistic.

How do you know?

I went down the council estate and asked them and they said only posh people
like you drink wine.

The working class wife will go to Tesco maybe see a nice
bottle of wine for fathers day and buy it, with out have to change

shops.
Tosco have managed what others thought impossible in that they attract

all
class of people into one shop.

More rubbish.

Not so. The wife get there and all tastes and prices are there for her.

Speak for your own wife.

Do you mean most wives in Tesco don't look around?

The products she is most interested in, cheap food, etc, are there, but

she
can browse other products aimed at high income groups.

Why do assume that "working class" equates to low income and a desire
to buy cheap food?

The desire to buy cheap goods is because they don't have lots of money.
Duh!

The days when the term
"working class" had any meaning
have long gone,

I have read that we don't have a working class anymore.

We don't in the sense that it was
understood when the term was first
used.

It is the same, only smaller and they don't wear cloth caps.

This is crap. What
are the people in the south London sink estates?

They are people in the south London sink
estates. Nothing more and
certainly nothing less.

They are working class. Unless teh Queen has moved into Peckham

[...]

They have spent a fortune acquiring all the Safeway stores and still have
not converted them all to Morrisons.

and look at the car park of most
Safeway stores.

The old Safeway now Morrisons which is closest to me is always packed solid.
The wines section is the by far the best value of any outlet, in quality and
price.

The issue is presenting the customer
with choice.

That is what Tesco did and still appealed to all the petty snobbery of

the
British under one roof. A miracle in the UK to do that.

Not really because the petty snobbery as you put it only exists in
your mind.

You know nothing of British society, being what you are makes it worse.

What the customer
chooses has much more to do
with disposable income how
busy they are and whether they
like a better quality product at more
money than anything else.

..and also petty snobbery, in the rejection of Aldi, Netto and Lidl.

That's simple rejection of crap and
exercise of customer choice.

Strange in that many others don't take your petty snobbery viewpoint here.

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:08:29 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

That is true. A flyer in a working class
area is different to one in a
middle class area from the same shop

Please explain what a "working class"
and a "middle class" area is.

You seem to be stereotyping again.

working class group noun [S] (ALSO the working classes)
a social group that consists of people who earn little money, often being
paid only for the hours or days that they work, and who usually do

physical
work:

middle class group noun [S] (ALSO the middle classes)
a social group that consists of well-educated people, such as doctors,
lawyers, and teachers, who have good jobs and are neither very rich nor

very
poor:

The definitions failed to mention the snob divides between the two.

From the Daily Worker Dictionary presumably.

From the Cambridge, snotty uni dictionary.

I am surprised it
doesn't mention "the struggle".

It is still going on. 0.66% of the population, mainly aristocrats, own 70%
of the land, backed up by Draconian planning laws to create an artificial
land shortage ramping up house prices to the point it is crippling the
country. There is a class war that has not yet been won. You're too naive
to see it.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:28:49 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

That is only marginally true. One does not see a lot of professional
tradespeople in Wickes as compared with the traditional trade places.

Go in at 8:00 a.m.

I have. On a couple of weekday mornings where I would expect the
place to have trade people around, it was empty. There were more in
B&Q at the same time or earlier.

There's no point in style without substance, but if I can get good
products, well presented, then I go for that.

You are into petty snobbery and go to where the place is typical Little
Middle England.

Nope. I go for good quality products
well presented. Period.

Because Aldi doesn't have them in directional lighting you don't go for
their great value and quality then. Gosh.

I didn't find value or quality, and the place was a PITA at the
checkout. It doesn't offer me anything that I want, so why would I
want to go there?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:38:59 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

They have spent a fortune acquiring all the Safeway stores and still have
not converted them all to Morrisons.

That should empty most of the rest of them.

and look at the car park of most
Safeway stores.

The old Safeway now Morrisons which is closest to me is always packed solid.

You must live in a pretty dire place if that is the best of the bunch
be it on price or quality.

You know nothing of British society, being what you are makes it worse.

An individual? I think that that makes things better as well as
making it hard for those like you who would seek to categorise people.

What the customer
chooses has much more to do
with disposable income how
busy they are and whether they
like a better quality product at more
money than anything else.

..and also petty snobbery, in the rejection of Aldi, Netto and Lidl.

That's simple rejection of crap and
exercise of customer choice.

Strange in that many others don't take your petty snobbery viewpoint here.

That's because there isn't any petty snobbery on my part. It's purely
on yours and inverted.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:47:52 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

It is still going on. 0.66% of the population, mainly aristocrats, own 70%
of the land, backed up by Draconian planning laws to create an artificial
land shortage ramping up house prices to the point it is crippling the
country. There is a class war that has not yet been won. You're too naive
to see it.

ROTFLMAO.

Track 2 plays again.

dennis@home

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

Nope. I go for good quality products
well presented. Period.

Because Aldi doesn't have them in directional lighting you don't go for
their great value and quality then. Gosh.

Oh the delights of those funny coloured tubes on the Tesco meat counter...

they really do improve the taste. ;-)

Stuart Noble

Andy Hall wrote:

You must live in a pretty dire place if that is the best of the bunch
be it on price or quality.

Is Safeway still the only supermarket on The Kings Road?
Doctor Evil

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

You must live in a pretty dire place if that is the best of the bunch
be it on price or quality.

Is Safeway still the only supermarket on The Kings Road?

Now Mossisons.

Doctor Evil

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

Nope. I go for good quality products
well presented. Period.

Because Aldi doesn't have them in directional lighting you don't go for
their great value and quality then. Gosh.

Oh the delights of those funny coloured tubes on the Tesco meat counter...

they really do improve the taste. ;-)

It must a good talking point at the dinner party. Oh the meat you are
eating was bout under a blue light.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

It is still going on. 0.66% of the population, mainly aristocrats, own

70%
of the land, backed up by Draconian planning laws to create an artificial
land shortage ramping up house prices to the point it is crippling the
country. There is a class war that has not yet been won. You're too

naive
to see it.

ROTFLMAO.

You don't believe those facts. ROTFLMAO

Doctor Evil

wrote:

They have spent a fortune acquiring all the Safeway stores and still have
not converted them all to Morrisons.

That should empty most of the rest of them.

and look at the car park of most
Safeway stores.

The old Safeway now Morrisons which is closest to me is always packed

solid.

You must live in a pretty dire place if that is the best of the bunch
be it on price or quality.

Every major supermarket, is within reach. Morrison beat the rest on price,
inc Tesco. The best for fruit is Sainsbury's; wine Morrisons. All the rest
is much the same thing they all sell.

You know nothing of British society,
being what you are makes it worse.

An individual?

You are incapable of individual thought being Little Middle England clone.

I think that that makes things better as well as
making it hard for those like you who would
seek to categorise people.

You do categorise yourself.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

That is only marginally true. One does not see a lot of professional
tradespeople in Wickes as compared with the traditional trade places.

Go in at 8:00 a.m.

I have. On a couple of weekday mornings where I would expect the
place to have trade people around, it was empty. There were more in
B&Q at the same time or earlier.

Stop making things up.

There's no point in style without substance, but if I can get good
products, well presented, then I go for that.

You are into petty snobbery and go to where the place is typical

Little
Middle England.

Nope. I go for good quality products
well presented. Period.

Because Aldi doesn't have them in directional lighting you don't go for
their great value and quality then. Gosh.

I didn't find value or quality, and the place was a PITA at the
checkout. It doesn't offer me anything that I want, so why would I
want to go there?

Petty snobbery.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:05:37 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

They have spent a fortune acquiring all the Safeway stores and still have
not converted them all to Morrisons.

That should empty most of the rest of them.

and look at the car park of most
Safeway stores.

The old Safeway now Morrisons which is closest to me is always packed

solid.

You must live in a pretty dire place if that is the best of the bunch
be it on price or quality.

Every major supermarket, is within reach. Morrison beat the rest on price,
inc Tesco.

If you can find what you want.

The best for fruit is Sainsbury's;

That's variable and depends on the fruit and the time of year. Most
of them are selling forced produce from Spain which is largely
flavourless.

wine Morrisons.

You buy wine? What an admission. This means that you are either
(shock, horror) "middle class" as you put it, or that your contention
that the "working class" don't buy wine isn't true.
I wonder which it is. I think you're a front for an armchair
aristocrat.

You know nothing of British society,
being what you are makes it worse.

An individual?

You are incapable of individual thought being Little Middle England clone.

You'd be surprised.

I think that that makes things better as well as
making it hard for those like you who would
seek to categorise people.

You do categorise yourself.

Nope. I'm unique. As is everybody else.

Categorise that......

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Mike

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

wine Morrisons.

You buy wine? What an admission. This means that you are either
(shock, horror) "middle class" as you put it, or that your contention
that the "working class" don't buy wine isn't true.

You've obviously not seen what Morrisons try to pass off as wine since they
took over Safeway. We used to get most of ours at Safeway but what they
stock now is right up IMM's street.

Capitol

Doctor Evil wrote:
The man who took them from near disappearing in the 1980s with a cheap
image, was a Mr Lehey (sp), who was European businessman of the year a

few

years ago, who is an Everton fan and that is why the Tesco bags are blue

and

white. He was brought up on a council estate in Liverpool, which many
attribute to his understanding a greater range of people than the typical
blinkered upper middle class management type.

Please do a little more homework. Tesco became successful because Jack
Cohen was brave enough to take on a privately schooled university
educated Scot called MacLaurin. He then made him work his way through
the business for a few years, before living dangerously and telling him
to run it and make the decisions. MacLaurin grew Tesco into a major and
forward looking chain with excellent IT facilities. He trained Leahy and
then moved on to Chairman (now retired) with Leahy as Managing director.
Tesco's success is based on a slow steady growth pattern, with many
options tried out on a small scale and the good ones invested in. I
believe that Tesco is one of the few companies who would be capable of
operating in the US market, which is normally death for most incompetent
British company managements. So far they have decided not to enter. If
you look at their investment pattern, they will only spend a few tens of
millions of pounds in opening up a new market (petty cash for them),
then they will grow steadily if successful or cut their losses if
necessary. Their decision taking process appears to be outstanding, as I
am not aware of any major hiccups in the last 10 years. Their management
succession appears to work well. Their IT system is outstanding,
streets ahead of any of the US (or other UK) grocers I have experienced,
in terms of knowing which specific customers buy which products and
promoting those products only to those customers. I regard buying Tesco
shares as the single best investment decision for continuous long term
growth that we have ever made. However, I buy wines from Lidl as Tesco
are too expensive for cheap plonk which probably comes from the same
place! Lidl is a useful place for "oddments" I find. So they provide a
level of interest to a casual shopper which Tesco now lacks. Lidl's
customer base appears to be the poorer end of society, and their
products are often too cheap to be desirable to me. However, their
chocolate products are far superior to the other major supermarkets.

Morrisons have cocked up? Please. they are one of the biggest. and bought
out Safeway.

Selling Morrisons shares was a no brainer decision when they took over
Safeway on borrowed money. They had no IT facility worth a light and
their shops offerings were not attractive to the southern preferences.
When you merge two businesses and quarter the profits, you are
incompetent. The interesting decision is whether to rebuy the shares on
the basis of a European takeover--Carrefour?. Pension funds have very
active selling positions when shares do not look like performing.

Regards
Capitol
Capitol

dennis@home wrote:

Just like most internet suppliers then?

IME internet suppliers are normally the most expensive for any product,
particularly when returns are involved!

Regards
Capitol

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:05:37 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

They have spent a fortune acquiring all the Safeway stores and still

have
not converted them all to Morrisons.

That should empty most of the rest of them.

and look at the car park of most
Safeway stores.

The old Safeway now Morrisons which is closest to me is always packed

solid.

You must live in a pretty dire place if that is the best of the bunch
be it on price or quality.

Every major supermarket, is within reach. Morrison beat the rest on

price,
inc Tesco.

If you can find what you want.

The have open shelves like all the rest of them.

The best for fruit is Sainsbury's;

That's variable and depends on the fruit and the time of year. Most
of them are selling forced produce from Spain which is largely
flavourless.

wine Morrisons.

You buy wine? What an admission.
This means that you are either
(shock, horror) "middle class" as you
put it,

Yes that is right.

or that your contention
that the "working class" don't buy
wine isn't true. I wonder which it is.
I think you're a front for an armchair
aristocrat.

You know nothing of British society,
being what you are makes it worse.

An individual?

You are incapable of individual thought being Little Middle England

clone.

You'd be surprised.

I wouldn't at all.

I think that that makes things better as well as
making it hard for those like you who would
seek to categorise people.

You do categorise yourself.

Nope. I'm unique. As is everybody else.

You are not unique.

Capitol

Andy Hall wrote:

Speak for your own wife.

a) Did IMM find some poor woman that gullible?
b) If yes, is he still that brave? I'm not!

Regards
Capitol
Doctor Evil

"Mike" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

wine Morrisons.

You buy wine? What an admission. This means that you are either
(shock, horror) "middle class" as you put it, or that your contention
that the "working class" don't buy wine isn't true.

You've obviously not seen what Morrisons try to pass off as wine since

they
took over Safeway. We used to get most of ours at Safeway but what they
stock now is right up IMM's street.

Some excellent stuff there. If you buy the £2 a bottle stuff don't get
upset if you get heartburn - only use for cooking. The quality and price is
by far the best for the medium priced wine - if you know what you are buying
of course. They have little of the expensive stuff, although the odd few
bottles are about. They always appear to have some excellent deals, like
two for one £8 bottles. I also find that if they charge £5 a bottle it will
be £6 to 7 in other supermarkets for similar quality.

And I know everything about wine in its entirety, being a sophisto.

Capitol

Doctor Evil wrote:

Every major supermarket, is within reach. Morrison beat the rest on price,
inc Tesco. The best for fruit is Sainsbury's; wine Morrisons.

Hmm. According to the report I read, the cheapest of the majors was
Asda. IME Sainsbury's fruit is not actually as good or as cheap as
Tesco. I see that BP have terminated their agreement with Morrisons for
garage forecourt sales. There were AIUI too many non delivery problems.

Regards
Capitol
Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:23:11 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:05:37 +0100, "Doctor Evil"

You buy wine? What an admission.
This means that you are either
(shock, horror) "middle class" as you
put it,

Yes that is right.

I think that we should tell your comrades about this.

Nope. I'm unique. As is everybody else.

You are not unique.

Everybody is unique. Think about it.

(I'm more unique than others though :-) )

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Evil wrote:

Every major supermarket, is within reach. Morrison beat the rest on

price,
inc Tesco. The best for fruit is Sainsbury's; wine Morrisons.

Hmm. According to the report I read, the cheapest of the majors was
Asda.

It changes and I think the most recent was Morrison's. Most sell the same
of sort of stuff and quality anyway. If you go for the deals and stock up,
then the normal price basket means nothing at all.

IME Sainsbury's fruit is not actually as
good or as cheap as Tesco.

It must have dipped recently.

I see that BP have terminated their
agreement with Morrisons for
garage forecourt sales. There were AIUI
too many non delivery problems.

What so you mean?

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:17:12 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

Snip reasonable Tesco observations

Morrisons have cocked up? Please. they are one of the biggest. and bought
out Safeway.

Selling Morrisons shares was a no brainer decision when they took over
Safeway on borrowed money. They had no IT facility worth a light and
their shops offerings were not attractive to the southern preferences.

You can add their merchandising and buying strategy to the mix,
although frankly there is little to add.

When you merge two businesses and quarter the profits, you are
incompetent.

and/or arrogant. In this case both.

The interesting decision is whether to rebuy the shares on
the basis of a European takeover--Carrefour?.

That would be interesting in a roundabout sort of way....

If they brought the range of product choice and merchandising that
they have in France it would work pretty well here I think, although I
think that LeClerc and Auchan seem a bit better from the stores I've
visited. I went into a Carrefour store in Warsaw not long ago and
they had imported much of the French model and a fair amount of
produce there. It was doing good business as were Tesco.

Pension funds have very
active selling positions when shares do not look like performing.

... or on companies past their sell-by date.....

Regards
Capitol

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Evil wrote:

The man who took them from near
disappearing in the 1980s with a cheap
image, was a Mr Lehey (sp), who was
European businessman of the year a
few years ago, who is an Everton fan
and that is why the Tesco bags are blue
and white. He was brought up on a council
estate in Liverpool, which many attribute to
his understanding a greater range of people
than the typical blinkered upper middle class
management type.

Please do a little more homework. Tesco
became successful because Jack
Cohen was brave enough to take on a
privately schooled university
educated Scot called MacLaurin.

Leahy was educated at St Edwards College (not a snot school), Liverpool
before studying at the University of Manchester (UMIST).

He then made him work his way through
the business for a few years, before living
dangerously and telling him
to run it and make the decisions. MacLaurin
grew Tesco into a major and
forward looking chain with excellent IT facilities.
He trained Leahy and then moved on to
Chairman (now retired) with Leahy as Managing director.

Not quite. MacLaurin took it from near extinction in the early 1980s to
being in a position it might compete with Sainsbury's, etc. Quality at
Tesco was always suspect to the others. It was a shop I always avoided and
looked like it was to go under any minute. Leahy took it to the mega-giant
it is now. £1 in every 10 spent on retail in the UK is in Tesco. They also
have a large European section too, even in the likes of Poland. Leahy did
that. That is why he was voted European Businessman of the year a few years
back. He took it to a point were they are out of sight to the rest in
quality, relative price and market share.

Morrisons have cocked up? Please. they
are one of the biggest. and bought
out Safeway.

Selling Morrisons shares was a no
brainer decision when they took over
Safeway on borrowed money. They had
no IT facility worth a light and their shops
offerings were not attractive to the southern
preferences.

What do southerners prefer that the rest of country do not? Jellied eels? I
have never noticed myself.

When you merge two businesses
and quarter the profits, you are
incompetent.

Their strategy is medium to long term. Merging two supermarket chains is not
that easy and will not return big licks next week. The Money programme had a
full spot on them.

BTW, Tesco have also expanded via acquisition. They bought up a number of
smaller, small shop chains to make Tesco Express. The Tesco Express in
Maida Vale takes in more than any Tesco shop per qu foot.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:14:40 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

What do southerners prefer that the rest of country do not? Jellied eels? I
have never noticed myself.

You probably wouldn't.

When you merge two businesses
and quarter the profits, you are
incompetent.

Their strategy is medium to long term. Merging two supermarket chains is not
that easy and will not return big licks next week.

... or any other week until they learn how to do merchandising
properly.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Owain

Doctor Evil wrote:
Somehow I don't think one can accuse Tesco of snobbery. Their corporate
motto is to sell everything to everybofy everywhere or something like
that.

Actually, they've lots of corporate mottoes -

No-one tries harder for customers
Treat people how we like to be treated
Better for customers, simpler for staff and cheaper for Tesco

What is notable is that Tesco's customer profile is almost exactly the
general profile of the UK population, yes they do sell everything to
everybody.

Tesco have three tiers of products to appeal to all class types.

It's not just tiering the products - which is over-simplistic; 77% of
Tesco customers buy *both* Value and Finest. Tesco also tailor their
store types to locations, with Express, Metro, Superstore and Extra.
Most other supermarkets don't have that flexibility. Tesco have for
example opened 44 convenience stores in Thailand, South Korea and
Ireland, and are developing the "compact hypermarket" formula in Czech
Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.

Owain

Doctor Evil

"Capitol" wrote in message

Please do a little more homework. Tesco became successful because Jack
Cohen was brave enough to take on a privately schooled university
educated Scot called MacLaurin.

Please get it right:

Lord MacLaurin was born in Blackheath, Kent on March 30th 1937 and was
educated at Malvern College. After completing his National Service with RAF
Fighter Command from 1956 to 1958 he worked for a short period with a firm
of domestic appliance manufacturers. In 1959 he joined Tesco as a management
trainee

He never went to a uni and his only degree is honourary and he is not a
Jock.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

What do southerners prefer that the rest of country do not? Jellied

eels? I
have never noticed myself.

You probably wouldn't.

When you merge two businesses
and quarter the profits, you are
incompetent.

Their strategy is medium to long term. Merging two supermarket chains is

not
that easy and will not return big licks next week.

.. or any other week until they learn how to do merchandising
properly.

Their range is the same as all others. I see no difference, just a smarter
shop and well dressed, polite staff, and I never saw a jellied eel.

Owain

Capitol wrote:
I believe that Tesco is one of the few companies who would be capable of
operating in the US market, which is normally death for most incompetent
British company managements. So far they have decided not to enter.

A couple of years ago Safeway got Tesco to run their home grocery
shopping trial for them (Tesco being world leaders in home grocery
shopping). I don't know if they still are.

However, I buy wines from Lidl as Tesco
are too expensive for cheap plonk which probably comes from the same
place! Lidl is a useful place for "oddments" I find. So they provide a
level of interest to a casual shopper which Tesco now lacks.

I feel that Tesco are not being adventurous enough in sourcing. Lidl get
a lot of their stuff from Eastern Europe, where Tesco is very strong on
sales development.

Owain
Owain

Stuart Noble wrote:
Sounds prejudiced and, dare I say it, class based. Our Aldi is the
cleanest, most spacious, and relaxing of all the supermarkets apart from
possibly Waitrose. At Lidl's you do have to climb over pallets
occasionally but, as a reward, the quality of most of their the food is
IME well above average. Their fruit and veg is always fresh but stock
levels are unpredictable (just like proper greengrocers). The check-out
(usually singular) is not for the faint hearted though.

I've always found Lidl checkouts to be quite quick and the single queue
"wait to be called forward" system (like they have in post offices now,
a display that shouts "Please go to position 6") does mean you don't get
stuck behind a slow person.

Lidl had what looks like a very good wheel-along toolbox trolley for
£30, to bring them slightly back on topic, and I was almost tempted by a
Winnie the Pooh alarm clock for 1.99 (includes battery, 3 year guarantee).

Owain

Andy Hall

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:43:35 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What do southerners prefer that the rest of country do not? Jellied

eels? I
have never noticed myself.

You probably wouldn't.

When you merge two businesses
and quarter the profits, you are
incompetent.

Their strategy is medium to long term. Merging two supermarket chains is

not
that easy and will not return big licks next week.

.. or any other week until they learn how to do merchandising
properly.

Their range is the same as all others.

It may be where you live. If so, the other stores must have put a
pretty poor selection of stuff on their shelves.

I see no difference, just a smarter
shop and well dressed, polite staff,

I've seen the opposite. The reasonably decent Safeway staff have
left and where they have been replaced, there is not an improvement.

They don't even do what they say they can do. They circulated a
leaflet saying that their butchery department (which in practice is a
meat dispensing counter) would be willing and able to obtain any cut
or preparation of meat to order within a day as long as it was
seasonally available.

I asked them for a joint prepared for a crown roast. They couldn't
do it and made some excuse about it being out of season. Crap. All
the other supermarkets plus the local butcher had fresh versions.
This is not difficult.

I seldom go there any more, as it appears is the case with a large
number of people in the area .....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

The Natural Philosopher

Steve Walker wrote:

BigWallop wrote:

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:ab311db328d41a2c533c3e11bd589a01.52329@myga te.mailgate.org...

does anyone know of a good on-line site giving details of how to
construct cavity walls

One brick width gap.

External skin / width of brick / internal skin

Conventionally laid in rows, starting at the bottom...

with fiberglass batts in between for warmth...

...tied together occasionally with ties...
The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

It's not a bad idea to tie them together occasionally too.
A number of Wilson Connolly new home owners have discovered
what happens when this isn't done...

For real ? How on earth wasn't that picked up at BC inspection ? And
what sort of brickie doesn't use ties ?

Most on-site trades are not qualified or experieneced,

Not convinced on that. A more experienced brickie will lay faster and with
less waste so should be worth the extra money.

Not if he is paid on a per brick laid basis.

only the gas side is, because of the corgi quals.

I think we've heard horror stories there as well.

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:43:35 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What do southerners prefer that the rest of country do not? Jellied

eels? I
have never noticed myself.

You probably wouldn't.

When you merge two businesses
and quarter the profits, you are
incompetent.

Their strategy is medium to long term. Merging two supermarket chains

is
not
that easy and will not return big licks next week.

.. or any other week until they learn how to do merchandising
properly.

Their range is the same as all others.

It may be where you live. If so, the other stores must have put a
pretty poor selection of stuff on their shelves.

Nope. All have the full range.

I see no difference, just a smarter
shop and well dressed, polite staff,

I've seen the opposite. The reasonably
decent Safeway staff have
left and where they have been replaced,
there is not an improvement.

The Safeway staff had cheap looking frumpy tracksuit tops, which made them
look like Chavs. Now the Morrison's staff have smart crisp shirts and
blouses and are much more polite.

They don't even do what they say they can do. They circulated a
leaflet saying that their butchery department (which in practice is a
meat dispensing counter) would be willing and able to obtain any cut
or preparation of meat to order within a day as long as it was
seasonally available.

I asked them for a joint prepared for a crown roast. They couldn't
do it and made some excuse about it being out of season. Crap. All
the other supermarkets plus the local butcher had fresh versions.
This is not difficult.

I seldom go there any more, as it appears is the case with a large
number of people in the area .....

Because you think the shelves are full pies, that is what you said.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:25:00 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Because you think the shelves are full pies, that is what you said.

They are, and I don't buy pies.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

wrote:

Because you think the shelves are full pies, that is what you said.

They are, and I don't buy pies.....

Little Middle England coming out now. I have never seen pies in all the
shelves in Morrison's