Mike

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

Why go to Tesco when these places sell the same far cheaper?

Because Tesco have everything (well almost) in stock and at the same price
as these other places

But most people here do not and petty snobbery
was the reason when research was done.

Somehow I don't think one can accuse Tesco of snobbery. Their corporate
motto is to sell everything to everybofy everywhere or something like that.

Now Waitrose, Sainsburys, ......

Doctor Evil

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The Germans have built a Lidl down the road from me in less than two
weeks**.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Are they that bad?

To an indoctrinated Little Middle Englander, I suppose yes. To normal
people, no.

Doctor Evil

"Mike" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

Why go to Tesco when these places sell the same far cheaper?

Because Tesco have everything (well almost) in stock and at the same price
as these other places

I beg to differ.

But most people here do not and petty snobbery
was the reason when research was done.

Somehow I don't think one can accuse Tesco of snobbery. Their corporate
motto is to sell everything to everybofy everywhere or something like

that.

Tesco have three tiers of products to appeal to all class types.

Now Waitrose, Sainsburys, ......

And Marks and Sparks.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:55:56 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

The Germans have built a Lidl down the road from me in less than two
weeks**.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:58:09 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

The Continentals do the bulk of their shopping at these types of places and
go to the big names where the Lidles don't fill the gap.

Nonsense. Been to France lately?

These three cheap
supermarkets have not realy taken off in the UK, getting better though, and
the reason was of pure petty snobbery.

No it wasn't. People vote with their feet based on quality, price and
choice. Clearly the formula of these places is missing or they would
be popular.

Why go to Tesco when these places
sell the same far cheaper?

Choice?

But most people here do not and petty snobbery
was the reason when research was done.

When did you do this "research"?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:35:57 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

Why go to Tesco when these places sell the same far cheaper?

Because Tesco have everything (well almost) in stock and at the same price
as these other places

I beg to differ.

But most people here do not and petty snobbery
was the reason when research was done.

Somehow I don't think one can accuse Tesco of snobbery. Their corporate
motto is to sell everything to everybofy everywhere or something like

that.

Tesco have three tiers of products to appeal to all class types.

What on earth ware you talking about? Do you really believe that
people choose products and where to shop based on "class"?

Thinking about it..... yes I expect that you do....

Now Waitrose, Sainsburys, ......

And Marks and Sparks.

Good stores if you like buying prepared foods....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

wrote:

The Continentals do the bulk of their shopping at these types of places

and
go to the big names where the Lidles don't fill the gap.

Nonsense. Been to France lately?

These three cheap
supermarkets have not realy taken off in the UK, getting better though,

and
the reason was of pure petty snobbery.

No it wasn't. People vote with their feet
based on quality, price and choice.

Not so in Little Middle England. You should know.

Why go to Tesco when these places
sell the same far cheaper?

Choice?

They sell most of foods the major supermarkets sell., and all good quality
too.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

Why go to Tesco when these places sell the same far cheaper?

Because Tesco have everything (well almost) in stock and at the same

price
as these other places

I beg to differ.

But most people here do not and petty snobbery
was the reason when research was done.

Somehow I don't think one can accuse Tesco of snobbery. Their

corporate
motto is to sell everything to everybofy everywhere or something like

that.

Tesco have three tiers of products to appeal to all class types.

What on earth ware you talking about?
Do you really believe that
people choose products and where to
shop based on "class"?

That is what Tesco found, and that is one of the reasons for their immense
success.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:17:45 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Tesco have three tiers of products to appeal to all class types.

What on earth ware you talking about?
Do you really believe that
people choose products and where to
shop based on "class"?

That is what Tesco found, and that is one of the reasons for their immense
success.

Price points certainly... but "class"?

Where is the correlation?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:15:50 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Why go to Tesco when these places
sell the same far cheaper?

Choice?

They sell most of foods the major supermarkets sell., and all good quality
too.

Same products? Same brands? or own brands?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Mike

wrote:

Tesco have three tiers of products to appeal to all class types.

What on earth ware you talking about?
Do you really believe that
people choose products and where to
shop based on "class"?

That is what Tesco found, and that is one of the reasons for their

immense
success.

Price points certainly... but "class"?

Where is the correlation?

Not quite 'class' in the classic use, but apparently Tesco analyse every
purchase made using their clubcard and found a correlation between the Tesco
brands - Finest, Standard and Value and the ABC.../123whatever bands people
are divided into. Stock on individual stores can thus be tuned to the type
of people coming through the door. The offer vouchers posted out are also
apparently tuned to the recipient, presumably enough to attract them to
return and make extra purchases without discounting their normal weekly
shop.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:39:06 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Tesco have three tiers of products to appeal to all class types.

What on earth ware you talking about?
Do you really believe that
people choose products and where to
shop based on "class"?

That is what Tesco found, and that is one of the reasons for their

immense
success.

Price points certainly... but "class"?

Where is the correlation?

Not quite 'class' in the classic use,

Exactly, and that was my point.

but apparently Tesco analyse every
purchase made using their clubcard and found a correlation between the Tesco
brands - Finest, Standard and Value and the ABC.../123whatever bands people
are divided into.

The socio-economic groups with letter and number systems. Originally,
these were divided according to occupation and increasingly the
marketeers found them to be too generalistic. For example, somebody
in one of the "professional" groups may not have the spending power of
somebody in a managerial group and so on and correlations were poor.
Somebody in a skilled occupation might well have sufficient spending
power to buy the better products and so on.

It's no longer a traditional class thing in marketing, any more than
it is in society as a whole. People's buying habits are not that
attached to their occupation or class of occupation for a whole
variety of reasons.

This is one of the main reasons why the supermarkets have gone for
these loyalty schemes - the statistical data from the traditional
methods simply was not accurate enough.

Stock on individual stores can thus be tuned to the type
of people coming through the door.

That's certainly true, but I don't think that it has anything to do
with "class", but rather the shopping habits and disposable income of
the customers, and in the case of prepared foods, age range as well.
Busy people with larger disposable incomes are more likely to buy the
better products, for example.

The offer vouchers posted out are also
apparently tuned to the recipient, presumably enough to attract them to
return and make extra purchases without discounting their normal weekly
shop.

I've never joined any of the supermarket loyalty schemes because I
tend to shop in at least 4 different ones plus other shops and every
1-2 days rather than weekly, preferring to go for fresh (or as close
to fresh as can be obtained) rather than prepared foods.

However, it's very obvious which stores are more successful at tuning
the contents of the shelves to meet their customer buying habits. As
you say, Tesco are quite good at that, and I think that Sainsbury,
Waitrose and M&S are for their customer bases. I've noted that
Morrisons have come badly unstuck with their acquisition of Safeway by
assuming that one size fits all regionally.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Stuart Noble

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:55:56 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

The Germans have built a Lidl down the road from me in less than two
weeks**.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Sounds prejudiced and, dare I say it, class based. Our Aldi is the
cleanest, most spacious, and relaxing of all the supermarkets apart from
possibly Waitrose. At Lidl's you do have to climb over pallets
occasionally but, as a reward, the quality of most of their the food is
IME well above average. Their fruit and veg is always fresh but stock
levels are unpredictable (just like proper greengrocers). The check-out
(usually singular) is not for the faint hearted though.
Andy Hall

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The Germans have built a Lidl down the road from me in less than two
weeks**.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Sounds prejudiced and, dare I say it, class based.

No, on both counts. My exact point was that this isn't a "class"
issue in the traditional sense of the word.

I only make comments based on what I have personally seen, unless I
make it clear that it is otherwise.

I've visited all three of these places at various times (two times
each and in different places). I don't regard climbing over pallets
as acceptable and found product quality mediochre at best.

Presentation is important. The large hypermarkets in France manage it
without problems.

Poor quality/inadequate checkouts are unacceptable always.

I agree with you that shopping at Waitrose is quite pleasant, although
choice not always large and emphasis too much on prepared foods as
with all supermarkets.

Our Aldi is the
cleanest, most spacious, and relaxing of all the supermarkets apart from
possibly Waitrose. At Lidl's you do have to climb over pallets
occasionally but, as a reward, the quality of most of their the food is
IME well above average. Their fruit and veg is always fresh but stock
levels are unpredictable (just like proper greengrocers). The check-out
(usually singular) is not for the faint hearted though.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

wrote:

Why go to Tesco when these places
sell the same far cheaper?

Choice?

They sell most of foods the major supermarkets sell., and all good

quality
too.

Same products? Same brands? or own brands?

A mixture just like the supermarkets. They just don't present as flash as
the main supermarkets.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

[...]

That is true. A flyer in a working class area is different to one in a
middle class area from the same shop.

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:39:06 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You have missed it. A flyer aimed the council estate will be generalistic
and will not have a large section on wine but concentrate on cheap beer and
value foods. The working class wife will go to Tosco maybe see a nice
bottle of wine for fathers day and buy it, with out have to change shops.
Tosco have managed what others thought impossible in that they attract all
class of people into one shop.

The man who took them from near disappearing in the 1980s with a cheap
image, was a Mr Lehey (sp), who was European businessman of the year a few
years ago, who is an Everton fan and that is why the Tesco bags are blue and
white. He was brought up on a council estate in Liverpool, which many
attribute to his understanding a greater range of people than the typical
blinkered upper middle class management type. More amazing facts presented
by Doctor Evil.

Doctor Evil

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:55:56 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

The Germans have built a Lidl down the road from me in less than two
weeks**.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Sounds prejudiced and, dare I say it, class based. Our Aldi is the
cleanest, most spacious, and relaxing of all the supermarkets apart from
possibly Waitrose. At Lidl's you do have to climb over pallets
occasionally but, as a reward, the quality of most of their the food is
IME well above average. Their fruit and veg is always fresh but stock
levels are unpredictable (just like proper greengrocers). The check-out
(usually singular) is not for the faint hearted though.

I too have found they lack enough checkout staff at the three European cheap
supermarkets. Aldi tend to have wide aisles. None of them take credit
card, only debits cards to keep prices low.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The Germans have built a Lidl down the road from me in less than two
weeks**.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Sounds prejudiced and, dare I say it, class based.

No, on both counts.

Stop telling lies.

--
The information contained in this post is not copyright and may be published
in, or used by http://www.diybanter.com

Stuart Noble

Andy Hall wrote:

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Sounds prejudiced and, dare I say it, class based.

No, on both counts. My exact point was that this isn't a "class"
issue in the traditional sense of the word.

I only make comments based on what I have personally seen, unless I
make it clear that it is otherwise.

I've visited all three of these places at various times (two times
each and in different places). I don't regard climbing over pallets
as acceptable and found product quality mediochre at best.

Presentation is important. The large hypermarkets in France manage it
without problems.

Poor quality/inadequate checkouts are unacceptable always.

It seems Lidl have a philosophy that you can bloody well pack your food
in the car park rather than at the checkout. Stuff flies through at a
rate of knots and ends up on the floor if you don't simply put it back
in the trolley. I don't have a problem with that given that it probably
halves their staff level.

I agree with you that shopping at Waitrose is quite pleasant, although
choice not always large and emphasis too much on prepared foods as
with all supermarkets.

I dropped Waitrose because of their spuds. A choice of a dozen types,
all looking perfect but tasting foul. Lidls offer you a paper sack of
whatever type they have that day, and the odd one might be rotten, but
the rest taste like potatoes should.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:11:33 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

I too have found they lack enough checkout staff at the three European cheap
supermarkets. Aldi tend to have wide aisles. None of them take credit
card, only debits cards to keep prices low.

More likely because they do too little transaction and monetary volume
to negotiate a good deal with the card companies.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Tony Bryer

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
Presentation is important.

Homebase beats Wickes hands down on presentation. Which do I prefer -
no contest. Give me substance over style every time.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Doctor Evil

wrote:

I too have found they lack enough checkout staff at the three European

cheap
supermarkets. Aldi tend to have wide aisles. None of them take credit
card, only debits cards to keep prices low.

More likely because they do too little transaction and monetary volume
to negotiate a good deal with the card companies.

Aldi are rather big, as are the others.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:07:48 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

You have missed it. A flyer aimed the council estate will be generalistic
and will not have a large section on wine but concentrate on cheap beer and
value foods.

What nonsense. Why do you assume that people living on council
estates don't buy wine and expect cheap food?

That is one hell of a put down.

The working class wife will go to Tosco maybe see a nice
bottle of wine for fathers day and buy it, with out have to change shops.
Tosco have managed what others thought impossible in that they attract all
class of people into one shop.

More rubbish. The days when the term "working class" had any meaning
have long gone, except perhaps in the pages of the Socialist Worker.

The man who took them from near disappearing in the 1980s with a cheap
image, was a Mr Lehey (sp), who was European businessman of the year a few
years ago, who is an Everton fan and that is why the Tesco bags are blue and
white. He was brought up on a council estate in Liverpool, which many
attribute to his understanding a greater range of people than the typical
blinkered upper middle class management type.

I am not sure that background has much to do with it. Morrison's had
similar humble beginnings and have completely cocked up.

The issue is presenting the customer with choice. What the customer
chooses has much more to do with disposable income how busy they are
and whether they like a better quality product at more money than
anything else.

More amazing facts presented
by Doctor Evil.

More amazing nonsense presented as facts, you mean.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:56:50 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

That is true. A flyer in a working class area is different to one in a
middle class area from the same shop

Please explain what a "working class" and a "middle class" area is.

You seem to be stereotyping again.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:54:50 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Why go to Tesco when these places
sell the same far cheaper?

Choice?

They sell most of foods the major supermarkets sell., and all good

quality
too.

Same products? Same brands? or own brands?

A mixture just like the supermarkets. They just don't present as flash as
the main supermarkets.

I wouldn't describe it as "present as flash", but I get your drift.

Pallets and packaging strewn all over the floor and left, surly staff
and long checkout lines are not attractive to anybody.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:43:31 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

It seems Lidl have a philosophy that you can bloody well pack your food
in the car park rather than at the checkout. Stuff flies through at a
rate of knots and ends up on the floor if you don't simply put it back
in the trolley. I don't have a problem with that given that it probably
halves their staff level.

I am afraid I do.

I agree with you that shopping at Waitrose is quite pleasant, although
choice not always large and emphasis too much on prepared foods as
with all supermarkets.

I dropped Waitrose because of their spuds. A choice of a dozen types,
all looking perfect but tasting foul.

Interesting. I only buy the waxy types anyway, but I have found
similar things. Hence I tend to buy specific food types in specific
supermarkets and note who has good and bad whatever.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:48:53 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
Presentation is important.

Homebase beats Wickes hands down on presentation.

You think so? Homebase seems to be more expensive but offers a bit
more choice. Wickes seems to have less choice but reasonably spaced
out.

Which do I prefer -
no contest. Give me substance over style every time.

I like both.

There's no point in style without substance, but if I can get good
products, well presented, then I go for that.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

wrote:

It seems Lidl have a philosophy that you can bloody well pack your food
in the car park rather than at the checkout. Stuff flies through at a
rate of knots and ends up on the floor if you don't simply put it back
in the trolley. I don't have a problem with that given that it probably
halves their staff level.

I am afraid I do.

Do you want the staff to wear top hats and bow to you?

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:53:15 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I too have found they lack enough checkout staff at the three European

cheap
supermarkets. Aldi tend to have wide aisles. None of them take credit
card, only debits cards to keep prices low.

More likely because they do too little transaction and monetary volume
to negotiate a good deal with the card companies.

Aldi are rather big, as are the others.

Rubbish. They are tiny in the UK. What they do in other countries is
a separate issue.

Share of UK Grocery Market: 12 weeks to April 24

Tesco 29.8%
Asda 16.5%
Sainsbury's 15.9%
Morrisons/Safeway 12.2%
Somerfield/Kwik Save 5.9%
Co-ops 4.7%
Waitrose 3.7%
Aldi 2.2%
Iceland 1.9%
Lidl 1.8%
Netto 0.7%

Source: TNS Superpanel

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

wrote:

You have missed it. A flyer aimed the council estate will be

generalistic
and will not have a large section on wine but concentrate on cheap beer

and
value foods.

What nonsense. Why do you assume
that people living on council
estates don't buy wine and expect
cheap food?

Most don't drink wine, and hence the word generalistic. read on..

The working class wife will go to Tesco maybe see a nice
bottle of wine for fathers day and buy it, with out have to change shops.
Tosco have managed what others thought impossible in that they attract

all
class of people into one shop.

More rubbish.

Not so. The wife get there and all tastes and prices are there for her.
The products she is most interested in, cheap food, etc, are there, but she
can browse other products aimed at high income groups.

The days when the term
"working class" had any meaning
have long gone,

I have read that we don't have a working class anymore. This is crap. What
are the people in the south London sink estates? The aristocracy? People
are renaming the working class. the same thing, another name.

The man who took them from near disappearing in the 1980s with a cheap
image, was a Mr Lehey (sp), who was European businessman of the year a

few
years ago, who is an Everton fan and that is why the Tesco bags are blue

and
white. He was brought up on a council estate in Liverpool, which many
attribute to his understanding a greater range of people than the typical
blinkered upper middle class management type.

I am not sure that background
has much to do with it.

A lot. he was more in tune with the type of person who would shop at Tesco.
Many of working class origin, who became middle class.

Morrison's had similar humble beginnings
and have completely cocked up.

Morrisons have cocked up? Please. they are one of the biggest. and bought
out Safeway.

The issue is presenting the customer
with choice.

That is what Tesco did and still appealed to all the petty snobbery of the
British under one roof. A miracle in the UK to do that.

What the customer
chooses has much more to do
with disposable income how
busy they are and whether they
like a better quality product at more
money than anything else.

...and also petty snobbery, in the rejection of Aldi, netto and Lidl.

More amazing facts presented
by Doctor Evil.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

That is true. A flyer in a working class
area is different to one in a
middle class area from the same shop

Please explain what a "working class"
and a "middle class" area is.

You seem to be stereotyping again.

working class group noun [S] (ALSO the working classes)
a social group that consists of people who earn little money, often being
paid only for the hours or days that they work, and who usually do physical
work:

middle class group noun [S] (ALSO the middle classes)
a social group that consists of well-educated people, such as doctors,
lawyers, and teachers, who have good jobs and are neither very rich nor very
poor:

The definitions failed to mention the snob divides between the two.

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:53:15 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Netto, Lidl and Aldi have near 5% of the UK market, which is a considerable
amount of business - and getting bigger by the week. They are also very big
elsewhere.

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:48:53 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
Presentation is important.

Homebase beats Wickes hands down on presentation.

You think so? Homebase seems to
be more expensive but offers a bit
more choice. Wickes seems to have
less choice but reasonably spaced
out.

They are not in the same markets. There is an overlap in some products, but
few of them. Wickes is aimed towards the professional and occasional
serious amateur. Hombase even has soft furnishing. Look at the level of
women in Homebase compared to Wickes.

Which do I prefer -
no contest. Give me substance over style every time.

I like both.

There's no point in style without substance, but if I can get good
products, well presented, then I go for that.

You are into petty snobbery and go to where the place is typical Little
Middle England.

dennis@home

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Just like most internet suppliers then?

dennis@home

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

And Marks and Sparks.

Good stores if you like buying prepared foods....

I can't buy M&S stuff.
It nearly all has so much fat that the doc has banned it.

Even their healthy stuff has twice the fat of other shops.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:48:23 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

It seems Lidl have a philosophy that you can bloody well pack your food
in the car park rather than at the checkout. Stuff flies through at a
rate of knots and ends up on the floor if you don't simply put it back
in the trolley. I don't have a problem with that given that it probably
halves their staff level.

I am afraid I do.

Do you want the staff to wear top hats and bow to you?

Nope

I just want to be able to buy good quality products in a clean
environment, properly laid out, with choice and to be able to select
and leave the store as quickly as possible.

You can bow to me and touch your forelock if you like.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:18:19 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:48:53 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
Presentation is important.

Homebase beats Wickes hands down on presentation.

You think so? Homebase seems to
be more expensive but offers a bit
more choice. Wickes seems to have
less choice but reasonably spaced
out.

They are not in the same markets. There is an overlap in some products, but
few of them. Wickes is aimed towards the professional and occasional
serious amateur.

That is only marginally true. One does not see a lot of professional
tradespeople in Wickes as compared with the traditional trade places.

Hombase even has soft furnishing. Look at the level of
women in Homebase compared to Wickes.

So not only are you classist, but sexist as well.

I agree with you that Wickes and Homebase address a different customer
base, albeit with overlaps, but 0/10 for your analysis.

Which do I prefer -
no contest. Give me substance over style every time.

I like both.

There's no point in style without substance, but if I can get good
products, well presented, then I go for that.

You are into petty snobbery and go to where the place is typical Little
Middle England.

Nope. I go for good quality products well presented. Period.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:14:38 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Aldi are rather big, as are the others.

Rubbish. They are tiny in the UK. What they do in other countries is
a separate issue.

Share of UK Grocery Market: 12 weeks to April 24

Tesco 29.8%
Asda 16.5%
Sainsbury's 15.9%
Morrisons/Safeway 12.2%
Somerfield/Kwik Save 5.9%
Co-ops 4.7%
Waitrose 3.7%
Aldi 2.2%
Iceland 1.9%
Lidl 1.8%
Netto 0.7%

Netto, Lidl and Aldi have near 5% of the UK market, which is a considerable
amount of business - and getting bigger by the week. They are also very big
elsewhere.

Geez.... You'd argue the hind legs off of a donkey. Even together,
they are less than half the size of Morrisons. In fact, Aldi have
been losing market share to Tesco.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:37:09 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Just like most internet suppliers then?

Yep, unless you go for one with an SLA, but of course you pay for
that.