Swampie

Default Cavity wall insulation, airbricks etc

I've been thinking about cavity wall insulation for our 1930's semi
and it recently occurred to me that it might be a bit of a problem
because of our airbricks and suspended floors.

Currently the whole side-wall (ie. not front/back wall) cavity is
ventilated with grilles at each end of the top of the main side wall
and is open into the loft (at least, the shower cable from the CU runs
up the cavity and into the loft so I assume it's open). This wall is
cold to the touch on the inside normally. Maybe its down to draughts
rather than just conduction etc.

Filling up the cavity with fluff stuff would stop this ventilation
(though I guess the ventilation is also causing a lot of heat loss).
If this is the case, should I be able to remove/block up these grilles
and top of cavity in loft and see less heat loss from these walls.
Currently the shower extractor fan vents out one of these grilles
anyway. Are there any implications with doing this?

I'm aware that I need to make sure that the floor space is adequately
ventilated - I know can't block these ones up. So how can cavity
insulation be added without blocking these vents?

Thanks

David
Alex

Cavitys are not designed to need ventilation,I would have thought that the
vents were put in to vent a room and have been covered up on the
inside,vents below dpc are to vent underfloor