Doctor Evil

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:55:56 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

The Germans have built a Lidl down the road from me in less than two
weeks**.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Are they that bad?

Yes. Dreadful places, in the same mould as Aldi, Netto etc. selling
only on price.

Sounds prejudiced and, dare I say it, class based. Our Aldi is the
cleanest, most spacious, and relaxing of all the supermarkets apart from
possibly Waitrose. At Lidl's you do have to climb over pallets
occasionally but, as a reward, the quality of most of their the food is
IME well above average. Their fruit and veg is always fresh but stock
levels are unpredictable (just like proper greengrocers). The check-out
(usually singular) is not for the faint hearted though.

I too have found they lack enough checkout staff at the three European cheap
supermarkets. Aldi tend to have wide aisles. None of them take credit
card, only debits cards to keep prices low.