Jaggy Taggy

Default What bench grinder for tool bit sharpening?

Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??

TIA

Uwe

Jerry Foster

Two things are important.

First, the grinder must have a good "fine" wheel. The one which typically
comes on the grinder will probably be of poor quality. But a good one is
not very expensive... And you need a wheel dresser to keep it clean and
flat. The coarse wheel is a lot less fussy...

Second, you must have a good, solid, flat "table" on which you rest the
work. The table must be adjustable so you can set it at the proper angle to
the centerline of the wheel (generally 7 degrees). I have a cheapie grinder
I've had for years. The one which came on the grinder was a piece of
pressed steel, sloppy, unadjustable and not very flat. So, I made a proper
table for it and it works great.

Another thing you need is a pot of water to cool the work. I picked up a
grinder stand down at HF that has a built in water pot...

Jerry
"Jaggy Taggy" wrote in message
Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??

TIA

Uwe

First why use the grinder solely for sharpening lathe bits. The wheels
are easily changed. A wire brush is very handy. For HSS you want
aluminum oxide wheels, but a silicon carbide wheel is good for carbide.
Not as good as diamond, but good enough. It may not be recommended,
but I have mounted a cut off disk in a bench grinder too. You can also
couple a flexible shaft to a grinder. Oh yes and buffing wheels. Then
there are the rubber wheels that get abrasive bands on them. With a
little work you could drive a belt sander with a grinder.

As far as recommendations.........One that does not bog down when you
lean into it. Robert Bastow disliked 8 inch grinders that run at 3450
rpm. Too high a surface speed. I like my 8 inch grinder, but it is
belt driven and does not turn at 3450 rpm.

The people that have neat tables that tilt love them. I usually just
grind tool bits freehand. A lot faster after you get use to it. Ditto
for sharpening drill bits. I did make kind of a table that I could
use to grind accurate angles. But I have forgotten why I did that.

Dan

Jaggy Taggy wrote:
Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper

bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people

here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??

TIA

Uwe

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
. com...
snip------

Second, you must have a good, solid, flat "table" on which you rest the
work. The table must be adjustable so you can set it at the proper angle

the centerline of the wheel (generally 7 degrees). I have a cheapie

grinder
I've had for years. The one which came on the grinder was a piece of
pressed steel, sloppy, unadjustable and not very flat. So, I made a

proper
table for it and it works great.

Given the opportunity, I'd do everything in my power to get you to think
differently about the table. When you're sharpening brazed carbide with a
diamond wheel, where angles tend to be critical, and the operation does
*not* lend itself to offhand grinding, I fully agree, but for sharpening
HSS, where you are inclined to get involved with chip breakers and strange
configurations almost every time you grind a toolbit, a table generally is
nothing more than a nuisance that will hinder your learning to hand grind.
I grind tool bits without so much as a tool rest, preferring to have the
open face of the wheel at my disposal without anything interfering with its
free use. Once you get on to grinding in that fashion, it's almost
impossible to go back to using a tool rest.

I highly recommend a pedestal grinder that is mounted at chest height, which
can be as simple as a single wheel, aluminum oxide, 60 grit, J or K
hardness, vitrified bond. No tool rest. Use a dressing stick to keep
the wheel in trim. It's very important to be comfortable when you're
sharpening toolbits, especially if you're blanking one out. Standing erect
without leaning over as you grind should be your objective. If you have
the luxury of two wheels, a coarse (46 grit J hardness) is nice, but you can
get along without it if you're limited to a single ended spindle. I use
1/2" x 7" x 1-1/4" wheels that are customarily used on cutter grinders and
small surface grinders for tool sharpening. They are generally formulated
precisely for grinding HSS (typically 38A abrasive) and are readily
available. You may have to make the adapter to fit your grinding
motor to run them, but it's not much of a project if you choose to do so.
I'll gladly provide some tips in that regard if you're interested.

Harold

jtaylor

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
. com...
Two things are important.

First, the grinder must have a good "fine" wheel. The one which typically
comes on the grinder will probably be of poor quality. But a good one is
not very expensive...

Local place has 6" silicon carbide wheels on sale for about $17, 80 grit.
Whaddy think of that price and grit?

Charles A. Sherwood

I use
1/2" x 7" x 1-1/4" wheels that are customarily used on cutter grinders and
small surface grinders for tool sharpening.

After spending 100 dollars on 2 norton 10 inch grinding wheel that
are not so great, I wish I had bought surface grinding wheels.
Probably a bit more money and a little work to make the hubs, but
I'm sure they will work better.

chuck

Charles A. Sherwood

but a silicon carbide wheel is good for carbide.
Not as good as diamond, but good enough.

I tried some norton silicon carbide wheels on my baldor carbide
grinder. They will cut, but I ended up with lots of tiny chips
in the edge. I got a cheap diamond wheel from enco and it is
like night and day difference! The glendo with a 1200 grit diamond
wheel is awesome. I usually only use the 600 wheel for carbide though.

Rex B

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
but a silicon carbide wheel is good for carbide.
Not as good as diamond, but good enough.

I tried some norton silicon carbide wheels on my baldor carbide
grinder. They will cut, but I ended up with lots of tiny chips
in the edge. I got a cheap diamond wheel from enco and it is
like night and day difference! The glendo with a 1200 grit diamond
wheel is awesome. I usually only use the 600 wheel for carbide though.

What's a Glendo?
What 600 grit wheel do you use?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Charles A. Sherwood

What's a Glendo?
What 600 grit wheel do you use?

The glendo is a small "power hone" that uses 5 or 6 inch diamond
wheels for sharpening. It turns very slow, perhaps 200-300 RPM.
The wheels appear unique and are probably custom. It will put
a mirror finish on any toolbit (carbide or HSS). It runs slow
enough that using diamond on HSS doesn't seem to be a problem.

They use to be sold by J&L and I bought one with one of their
famous 25% off sales, but it appears they sell direct now.
do a web search for glendo or accufinish. They are fairly pricely.

chuck
Daniel A. Mitchell

Jaggy Taggy wrote:

Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??

TIA

Uwe

I've had pretty good luck with the Harbor Freight "Tool & Cutter
Grinder" (which ISN'T really THAT machine, but is really a "Carbide
Grinder"). It's like a bench grinder, but has two **FAR** better
adjustable tables instead of tool rests, and uses FACE grinding
steel-backed wheels. They usually come with two Si-Carb "green" wheels,
but white Al-Ox. wheels are available for sharpening HSS. These grinders
cost about $140, but are often on sale for $120, and are a good value at
either price.

Enco, KBC, etc. also sell similar imports for about 50% more than HF ...
I can't see that they are any better. A Baldor costs several times as much.

Alternatively, you can get a Glendo "Grind-R-Table" for an existing
bench grinder, for about the same price as the whole HF unit. I have one
of these too, and it's nice, but you can't beat the HF unit for the price.

Dan Mitchell
============

Brian Barnson

"Jaggy Taggy" wrote in message
Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper
bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people
here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??

There are half-speed grinders that run at, IIRC, 1800 RPM instead
of 3600-ish. They take a bit more time but lessen the chance of heat
damage. Woodturners use 'em.
Brian, in Cedar

Robert Swinney

Rex,

Check www.accu-finish.com for Glendo sharpening system. I've had one for
years set up on a basic 6" Sears grinder.

Bob Swinney

"Rex B" wrote in message
Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
but a silicon carbide wheel is good for carbide.
Not as good as diamond, but good enough.

I tried some norton silicon carbide wheels on my baldor carbide
grinder. They will cut, but I ended up with lots of tiny chips
in the edge. I got a cheap diamond wheel from enco and it is
like night and day difference! The glendo with a 1200 grit diamond
wheel is awesome. I usually only use the 600 wheel for carbide though.

What's a Glendo?
What 600 grit wheel do you use?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

F. George McDuffee

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:44:40 GMT, Jaggy Taggy
wrote:
Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??
TIA
Uwe

Suggest that you take a long hard look at disk/belt sander.
Typically one with a 4 X 36 inch belt and 6-inch diameter disk.

You can get zirconium oxide [blue norbide type ] belts from Enco
in a number of grits, and can pick up adhesive back silicon
carbide disks in finer grits at most auto parts stores.
Zirconium oxide belts seem to grind very rapidly and much cooler
than the aluminum oxide belts. Use the belt for roughing and the
disk for finishing. You can get a mirror finish if you wish.

The angles that you can set with a "miter" gage that comes with
the typical belt sander (or grinder) are not accurate so I
suggest fabricating a block on which you can clamp the tool and
set with a machinist's protractor.

Fabricate an angle-setting block that you can use to accurately
set the table angles and use to set the "miter" gage
perpendicular to the disk/belt. You can also use this to set the
table [slot] parallel to the face of the wheel, disk or belt.

By using the angle-setting gage for the table and setting the
tool angles with a machinist's protractor, you can get repeatable
results. Otherwise, you will grind a tool, it won't cut right,
you will grind some more, etc. and will never be sure what works
and why.

If you go with a grinder, buy a diamond dresser, and fabricate a
holder so you can "drag" the diamond across the wheel at the
correct angles using the "miter" gage while maintaining it
parallel to the guide slot. A sharp wheel makes all the
difference in the world.

A useful hint is to use an abrasive bristle brush to remove the
burrs from your newly ground bits and give the hand-honed effect
in a few seconds. I bought the one I use at ACE hardware. It is
about 5 inches in diameter, has a 1/4-inch shaft, with medium
grit nylon bristles.

Another tip is to keep a spray bottle [old Windex type bottles
work fine] filled with water and lightly spray the grinding wheel
while grinding. This keeps the tool much cooler as the water
evaporates and avoids thermal shock when you dip the tool. This
can be very hard on carbide. You can add a small amount of
water-soluble oil [water pump lube @ 99cents a can] to avoid
rusting.

Avoid oil on the table/slot as this will attract and hold grit.
I like Teflon spray. It is dry and very slick. It also seems to
protect against rust.

It would be helpful I can post pictures of the tool holder block
and replacement miter gage to the dropbox.

Grant Erwin

Glendo is a *company*, not a product. http://www.glendo.com/

He may be referring to an Accu-Finish, can never tell with some people.

Glendo makes a really nice little sharpening table called the Grind-R-Table.
Anyone who has subscribed to one of the Village Press mags in the last 25
years has seen them, they're very often advertised. I bought one years ago
along with a Darex M3 and diamond sharpener setup (all from Glendo) using
their quickmount system. I put it all on a steel table on a Baldor pedestal
mounted in front of a Baldor 7306D grinder. I used this setup for a long time
and sharpened many a lathe bit and many a drill bit with it. I put nearly
$800 into that setup, but now I'm done with it. Anyone interested? I can
post pix and details if so.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

What's a Glendo?

Harold and Susan Vordos

"jtaylor" wrote in message

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
. com...
Two things are important.

First, the grinder must have a good "fine" wheel. The one which

typically
comes on the grinder will probably be of poor quality. But a good one

is
not very expensive...

Local place has 6" silicon carbide wheels on sale for about $17, 80 grit.
Whaddy think of that price and grit?

What's more important is what do you intend to grind with the wheels?
Silicon carbide (green or black wheels) is not to be used for HSS under any
circumstance. Only aluminum oxide should be chosen for grinding on steels
of all kinds.

If you're grinding brazed carbide tools, the 80 grit green wheels work, but
I rarely ever use one. Silicon carbide is really bad on your health, and
just about as hard on carbide. The hardness of carbide as opposed to
silicon carbide is not great enough for decent cutting. Diamond is the
abrasive of choice for sharpening carbide-----and the difference between
diamond and silicon carbide is huge. If you're talking about sharpening
carbide, I strongly suggest you investigate a diamond wheel and forget about
the silicon carbide idea. It's a decision you'll never regret, unlike using
green wheels.

Harold

Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Why are you done with it?
Found something you like better?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Grant Erwin

Why are you done with it?
Found something you like better?

Yes, I got a new Darex M5 including stand recently, and also a Baldor
tool grinder on a stand. For general purpose work I use the spindle of an
ancient Shopsmith - deburring wheel, buffing wheel, wire wheel, hard bench
grinder wheel, those kinds of things. So my nice Baldor 7306D setup is going
to go to someone else's soon. I'm running a car down to LA in about a week,
so if you live between here (Seattle) and there this might be of real interest
to you. I've already got a bunch of welding rod going to Gunner's house, sigh.

Grant
Charles A. Sherwood

I wish Id known you needed 10" wheels. I have a few new ones.....

I could be pursuaded to replace the new Norton bench grinder
wheels with better quality ones if the price is right.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:54:22 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Why are you done with it?
Found something you like better?

Yes, I got a new Darex M5 including stand recently, and also a Baldor
tool grinder on a stand. For general purpose work I use the spindle of an
ancient Shopsmith - deburring wheel, buffing wheel, wire wheel, hard bench
grinder wheel, those kinds of things. So my nice Baldor 7306D setup is going
to go to someone else's soon. I'm running a car down to LA in about a week,
so if you live between here (Seattle) and there this might be of real interest
to you. I've already got a bunch of welding rod going to Gunner's house, sigh.

How much do you want for that 7306D? I live near Olympia, WA.

Snarl

Pull th' pin to reply

Grant Erwin

How much do you want for that 7306D? I live near Olympia, WA.

Snarl

Pull th' pin to reply

I want $385 firm for everything. This is an excellent deal.

Send me an email offline and I'll send details. You can get me either
at or at http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html - GWE
Too_Many_Tools

Yes, please do.

TMT

Gunner

wrote:

Why are you done with it?
Found something you like better?

Yes, I got a new Darex M5 including stand recently, and also a Baldor
tool grinder on a stand. For general purpose work I use the spindle of an
ancient Shopsmith - deburring wheel, buffing wheel, wire wheel, hard bench
grinder wheel, those kinds of things. So my nice Baldor 7306D setup is going
to go to someone else's soon. I'm running a car down to LA in about a week,
so if you live between here (Seattle) and there this might be of real interest
to you. I've already got a bunch of welding rod going to Gunner's house, sigh.

Grant

Make up your wishlist before you get on the road. New belts,
pneumatics, grinding wheels (up to 10") , well...youve seen the
Stuff...added some since then. Yours to dig through.

I did give Martin Eastburn the last surplus Baldor grinder though when
he was here a couple weeks ago. If there is something special you
need, perhaps I can scarf it up in LA this coming week, if I get
released to go back to work. The pnemonia didnt killed me...just made
me wish I was dead.

Got room for some machine tools? Need a boyer Shultz surface grinder?
Ill give you your choice of either one. $5 bill ought to cover it.
G..hell..for a lot of rod...Ill give you your choice.

Call me on my cell if you got specifics you need.

805-732-5308

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:51:11 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

wrote:

Why are you done with it?
Found something you like better?

Yes, I got a new Darex M5 including stand recently, and also a Baldor
tool grinder on a stand. For general purpose work I use the spindle of an
ancient Shopsmith - deburring wheel, buffing wheel, wire wheel, hard bench
grinder wheel, those kinds of things. So my nice Baldor 7306D setup is going
to go to someone else's soon. I'm running a car down to LA in about a week,
so if you live between here (Seattle) and there this might be of real interest
to you. I've already got a bunch of welding rod going to Gunner's house, sigh.

Grant

Make up your wishlist before you get on the road. New belts,
pneumatics, grinding wheels (up to 10") , well...youve seen the
Stuff...added some since then. Yours to dig through.

Gunner, talk Grant into hauling a trailer down so I can snag that
little Gorton 0-16a mill (and some plate steel) and swap you that
little compressor. (That's unless you found a Chiwanese mini
mill for me in the interim.)

Or maybe Grant could tie it to the trunk lid and...

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Kent Frazier

Dan,
I looked at one of those at the local H.F. store and it has been in the
back of my mind for the last few weeks. What bothered me about them was
that I thought the rpm might be too high for resinbond diamond wheels, do
you have an opinion / experience on that?

Kent Frazier

"Daniel A. Mitchell" wrote in message

I've had pretty good luck with the Harbor Freight "Tool & Cutter

Grinder" (which ISN'T really THAT machine, but is really a "Carbide
Grinder"). It's like a bench grinder, but has two **FAR** better
adjustable tables instead of tool rests, and uses FACE grinding
steel-backed wheels. They usually come with two Si-Carb "green" wheels,
but white Al-Ox. wheels are available for sharpening HSS. These grinders
cost about $140, but are often on sale for $120, and are a good value at
either price.

Dan Mitchell
============

Gunner

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:24:12 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Make up your wishlist before you get on the road. New belts,
pneumatics, grinding wheels (up to 10") , well...youve seen the
Stuff...added some since then. Yours to dig through.

Gunner, talk Grant into hauling a trailer down so I can snag that
little Gorton 0-16a mill (and some plate steel) and swap you that
little compressor. (That's unless you found a Chiwanese mini
mill for me in the interim.)

Or maybe Grant could tie it to the trunk lid and...

Oddly enough...I was informed today that the section of the warehouse
Ive been subletting, has been rented by the owner to someone. I have
till monday to move all the machines and to try to sandwich them into
the main machine shop that is renting the property.

If you were in the area..you might well get the Gorton as a "loaner"

Got time for a fast road trip to the Bakersfield area this weekend?

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:33:37 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

wrote:

Make up your wishlist before you get on the road. New belts,
pneumatics, grinding wheels (up to 10") , well...youve seen the
Stuff...added some since then. Yours to dig through.

Gunner, talk Grant into hauling a trailer down so I can snag that
little Gorton 0-16a mill (and some plate steel) and swap you that
little compressor. (That's unless you found a Chiwanese mini
mill for me in the interim.)

Or maybe Grant could tie it to the trunk lid and...

Oddly enough...I was informed today that the section of the warehouse
Ive been subletting, has been rented by the owner to someone. I have
till monday to move all the machines and to try to sandwich them into
the main machine shop that is renting the property.

Wow, isn't that nice? He gave you a whole week or so to move a short
gazillion pounds of arn?

If you were in the area..you might well get the Gorton as a "loaner"

Ooh, ooh! What size/weight is that thing? Will it fit in the back of a
F-150 shortbed? I have a $1,000 check coming next Tuesday but just
might be able to scrape up enough cash to buy all the gas for the trip
before then. I just shifted another $100 from Paypal, but that might
not be here until Monday, either.

Got time for a fast road trip to the Bakersfield area this weekend?

What is that? 1,200 miles r/t @ 15mpg loaded x $2.34/gal = $187.20 for
gas. Yeah, I can swing that. What's the address? Bakersfield is 628.98
miles from me via Mapquest.

Oh, CRAP, there's a bigass storm coming into the entire West Coast on
Saturday

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

If I were like that, I wouldn't -have- to worry about pocket money.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Gunner

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:15:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Wow, isn't that nice? He gave you a whole week or so to move a short
gazillion pounds of arn?

Actually...about 4 days.

If you were in the area..you might well get the Gorton as a "loaner"

Ooh, ooh! What size/weight is that thing? Will it fit in the back of a
F-150 shortbed? I have a $1,000 check coming next Tuesday but just
might be able to scrape up enough cash to buy all the gas for the trip
before then. I just shifted another $100 from Paypal, but that might
not be here until Monday, either.

Its about 1400 lbs. It would have to go this weekend. After that..If
I have too, Ill bring it back home. I dont Have to get rid of it...I
can wedge it into the main machine shop. But you caught me at a weak
moment. Id probably toss in a Boyer Shultz surface grinder too.

Got time for a fast road trip to the Bakersfield area this weekend?

What is that? 1,200 miles r/t @ 15mpg loaded x $2.34/gal = $187.20 for
gas. Yeah, I can swing that. What's the address? Bakersfield is 628.98
miles from me via Mapquest.

326 Olive Ave
Taft, California, 93268
Oh, CRAP, there's a bigass storm coming into the entire West Coast on
Saturday

No guts, no glory.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

If I were like that, I wouldn't -have- to worry about pocket money.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Gunner

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:28:19 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Its about 1400 lbs. It would have to go this weekend. After that..If
I have too, Ill bring it back home. I dont Have to get rid of it...I
can wedge it into the main machine shop. But you caught me at a weak
moment. Id probably toss in a Boyer Shultz surface grinder too.

Btw...I have a fellow up in the Bay area that bought that lil Lorch
lathe from me sometime ago, that hasnt been able to make it down to
pick it up..perhaps he could help you out with gas, if you took it up
north where he could meet you?

I believe he lives in Sunnyvale, California
Thats his email addy...drop him an email
and see if he will kick in. The lathe is about 250 lbs..about the
size of a small desk

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

My cell number is 805-732-5308

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:39:25 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

wrote:

Its about 1400 lbs. It would have to go this weekend. After that..If
I have too, Ill bring it back home. I dont Have to get rid of it...I
can wedge it into the main machine shop. But you caught me at a weak
moment. Id probably toss in a Boyer Shultz surface grinder too.

1,400 lbs? Crap. Is that with the tooling/accessories or without?
What's the size of that beastie, anyway? I'm thinking loading and
unolading logistics, and space in my shop. It's kinda tight now.
I hate to lose out on such a great opportunity, though. Oh, for a
knuckle boom truck about now. It'd take 4 days, but...

Btw...I have a fellow up in the Bay area that bought that lil Lorch
lathe from me sometime ago, that hasnt been able to make it down to
pick it up..perhaps he could help you out with gas, if you took it up
north where he could meet you?

I believe he lives in Sunnyvale, California
Thats his email addy...drop him an email
and see if he will kick in. The lathe is about 250 lbs..about the
size of a small desk

Maybe Grant would like to do that one next week. I'd be at my upper
weight limit with the Gorton alone.