Jerry Foster

Two things are important.

First, the grinder must have a good "fine" wheel. The one which typically
comes on the grinder will probably be of poor quality. But a good one is
not very expensive... And you need a wheel dresser to keep it clean and
flat. The coarse wheel is a lot less fussy...

Second, you must have a good, solid, flat "table" on which you rest the
work. The table must be adjustable so you can set it at the proper angle to
the centerline of the wheel (generally 7 degrees). I have a cheapie grinder
I've had for years. The one which came on the grinder was a piece of
pressed steel, sloppy, unadjustable and not very flat. So, I made a proper
table for it and it works great.

Another thing you need is a pot of water to cool the work. I picked up a
grinder stand down at HF that has a built in water pot...

Jerry
"Jaggy Taggy" wrote in message
Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??

TIA

Uwe