Daniel A. Mitchell

Jaggy Taggy wrote:

Several discussions here pointed out to me the importance of proper bit
sharpening for lathe work.
I should start getting a proper bench grinder, but what would people here
recommend as a grinder which would solely be used to sharpen bits??

TIA

Uwe

I've had pretty good luck with the Harbor Freight "Tool & Cutter
Grinder" (which ISN'T really THAT machine, but is really a "Carbide
Grinder"). It's like a bench grinder, but has two **FAR** better
adjustable tables instead of tool rests, and uses FACE grinding
steel-backed wheels. They usually come with two Si-Carb "green" wheels,
but white Al-Ox. wheels are available for sharpening HSS. These grinders
cost about $140, but are often on sale for $120, and are a good value at
either price.

Enco, KBC, etc. also sell similar imports for about 50% more than HF ...
I can't see that they are any better. A Baldor costs several times as much.

Alternatively, you can get a Glendo "Grind-R-Table" for an existing
bench grinder, for about the same price as the whole HF unit. I have one
of these too, and it's nice, but you can't beat the HF unit for the price.

Dan Mitchell