Gunner

Default Aluminum stick welding rod..field report

I purchased a pound of AL435 aluminum stick welding rod a couple of
weeks ago, just to futz around with. Today I got it out and played
with it.

The stuff WORKS. Rather amazing how well it works. But damn it burns
fast.

Electrode positive, about 50 amps, and I was fillet and butt welding
scrap pieces of 6061 T6 (3/8" plate) with no preheat and getting
surprisingly good penetration and fill.

While Im not sure Id want to fly in an airplane welded by me, with
this stuff, its more than suitable for putting Stuff together with.
As fast as it burns, I stitch welded a pair of 1" welds in fillet and
a 1" weld on the backside of a L assembly of 3/8 plate..then beat the
snot out of it with a 2lb hammer. The assembly was Very deformed
before the welds started to fail and examination showed deep
penetration into the parent metal.

Slag was quickly removed with a wire brush in just a couple swipes.
The rod smells distinctly different when burning. Actually kinda
pleasant smelling G.

An odd property, at least to me, a newbie, was too much heat simply
melted the rod and did very little to the parent material. It simply
flowed over the plate like braze, with little penetration.

For those of you who do not have a TIG machine and need to weld up
aluminum, all you need for rough welding, is a DC welding machine .
Ill be using more of this stuff in the future. At 50 amps for the
smaller rod, this stuff could be used by somone with one of the cheapy
Harbor Freight machines, as long as it has DC. I didnt think to try it
with AC, but I will. The data sheet spec'd DC Positive, so thats
what I ran.

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes
Beachcooler

Gunner wrote:
[...]

I have a heli-arc, but this sure sounds interesting. No argon, no
pre-heat. Not to mention the 25 dollar jump in the power bill when I do
a project with aluminum. Thanks for the report.
Where didja get the rods?

Andrew H. Wakefield

Gunner, what thickness is the rod you are using? I haven't ever tried to buy
AL rod -- I assume that the "435" designates something about the alloy -- ??

Let us know what happens when you try it using AC.

Andy

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

handsomestranger

Hey Gunner,
You should not be inhaling the fumes from welding aluminum, or you will
kill enough brain cells to become a Democrat.
Gunner

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:23:36 GMT, Beachcooler
wrote:

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes

I have a heli-arc, but this sure sounds interesting. No argon, no
pre-heat. Not to mention the 25 dollar jump in the power bill when I do
a project with aluminum. Thanks for the report.
Where didja get the rods?

Most welding supply companies carry it. It is also called AL-43 and
other names.

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:24:20 -0500, "Andrew H. Wakefield"
wrote:

Gunner, what thickness is the rod you are using? I haven't ever tried to buy
AL rod -- I assume that the "435" designates something about the alloy -- ??

It was 3/32" IRRC, a bit smaller than 1/8"

Let us know what happens when you try it using AC.

I will, but suspect it wont work worth a damned due to the required
heating mode of electrode positive.

Gunner

Andy

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:38:27 -0700, handsomestranger
wrote:

Hey Gunner,
You should not be inhaling the fumes from welding aluminum, or you will
kill enough brain cells to become a Democrat.

Indeed. Im always careful to weld outside. G

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes

Blackout

"Andrew H. Wakefield" wrote in message
Gunner, what thickness is the rod you are using? I haven't ever tried to
buy
AL rod -- I assume that the "435" designates something about the alloy --
??

Let us know what happens when you try it using AC.

how about some pictures instead?

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_2002_retired_files/

aluminum-truck-abortion1.JPG
aluminum-truck-abortion2.JPG
aluminum-truck-abortion3.JPG
aluminum-truck-abortion4.JPG

this is an 18 wheel truck a guy drove by fully loaded with gravel for me to
"fix up temporarily" for him. They had attempted to "repair" it before they
came over and "something" had gone wrong. I don't know for sure if it was AC
or DC, my guess is whatever ****s it up worse than any other method is the
process they went with out of pure primal instinct.

no, I didn't fix it. yes, I didn't even try. yes, I did call DPS on them for
driving it off after I told them to park it before they killed somebody.

Old Nick

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:04:12 GMT, Gunner
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

wrote:

Hey Gunner,
You should not be inhaling the fumes from welding aluminum, or you will
kill enough brain cells to become a Democrat.

Indeed. Im always careful to weld outside. G

If you can smell it you are inhaling it.

Old Nick

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:05:10 -0700, "Blackout"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Came up as a dead site for me.

how about some pictures instead?

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_2002_retired_files/

jerry_tig2003

Gunner wrote in message . ..
I purchased a pound of AL435 aluminum stick welding rod a couple of
weeks ago, just to futz around with. Today I got it out and played
with it.

The stuff WORKS. Rather amazing how well it works. But damn it burns
fast.

Come back in a month, will you? The stuff works, but the rods do not
keep when the pack is open. They are very sensitive to humidity.

It also helps a lot if you pre-heat the workpieces.

For those of you who do not have a TIG machine and need to weld up
aluminum, all you need for rough welding, is a DC welding machine .
Ill be using more of this stuff in the future. At 50 amps for the
smaller rod, this stuff could be used by somone with one of the cheapy
Harbor Freight machines, as long as it has DC. I didnt think to try it
with AC, but I will. The data sheet spec'd DC Positive, so thats
what I ran.

The ideal machine for those rods is one of those cheapies lunchbox
sized inverters. They work in DC.
Beachcooler

Gunner wrote:
[...]

'Nother question: what kind of amps for say, 1/4" stuff?

Gunner

On 29 Nov 2004 23:37:56 -0800, (jerry_tig2003)
wrote:

Gunner wrote in message . ..
I purchased a pound of AL435 aluminum stick welding rod a couple of
weeks ago, just to futz around with. Today I got it out and played
with it.

The stuff WORKS. Rather amazing how well it works. But damn it burns
fast.

Come back in a month, will you? The stuff works, but the rods do not
keep when the pack is open. They are very sensitive to humidity.

My pound of rod has been open for at least 3 weeks and stored on a
shelf in the middle of my back yard, during the foggy season. Seems
to as yet, not been too effected. Im going to have to figure out how
to dry all my 7018 as it appears to be a bit damp as the coating tends
to flake off.

It also helps a lot if you pre-heat the workpieces.

Ill indeed try that the next time.

For those of you who do not have a TIG machine and need to weld up
aluminum, all you need for rough welding, is a DC welding machine .
Ill be using more of this stuff in the future. At 50 amps for the
smaller rod, this stuff could be used by somone with one of the cheapy
Harbor Freight machines, as long as it has DC. I didnt think to try it
with AC, but I will. The data sheet spec'd DC Positive, so thats
what I ran.

The ideal machine for those rods is one of those cheapies lunchbox
sized inverters. They work in DC.

That would appear to be true.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Gunner

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:14:44 GMT, Beachcooler
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Id have to say somewhere between 35 and 50 amps. Test piece of
course.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Old Nick

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:14:02 GMT, Gunner
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I am trying to start not KFing you again Gunner, because you have laid
off the _posted_ rants. But if you keep slipping the sort of **** you
quote below in, I find it very hard.

I do not agree with what I _think_ the below is trying to say (I am
not quite sure) but whatever, it has annoying logic holes in it, as is
so often the case in situations where people "talk politely and try to
work out a solution to problems".

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Old Nick

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:18:00 -0600, "Tim Williams"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .
I do not agree with what I _think_ the below is trying to say (I am
not quite sure) but whatever, it has annoying logic holes in it, as is
so often the case in situations where people "talk politely and try to
work out a solution to problems".

It's trying to give an absolute, rather than relative, point of view for
conservatives vs. liberals. Namely, who stages more riots, and are those
preferred?

Given that there was a strong threat that if I contined not to listen
to people who "talk politely and try to work out a solution to
problems", I will get shot, I will take the "riots" (or certainly
peaceful protests! G

The problem with any liberal, really, is that such absolute logical
arguments fail when the person refuses to accept logic itself.

The barb is hardly _hidden_ in that worm! G
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

Gunner wrote in message . ..

I purchased a pound of AL435 aluminum stick welding rod a couple of
weeks ago, just to futz around with. Today I got it out and played
with it.

The stuff WORKS. Rather amazing how well it works. But damn it burns
fast.

Come back in a month, will you? The stuff works, but the rods do not
keep when the pack is open. They are very sensitive to humidity.

My pound of rod has been open for at least 3 weeks and stored on a
shelf in the middle of my back yard, during the foggy season. Seems
to as yet, not been too effected. Im going to have to figure out how
to dry all my 7018 as it appears to be a bit damp as the coating tends
to flake off.

Since I have yet to build my rod cooker/container - I put a large cookie sheet
on our propane Barbie - and turned on three sets of burners [Nice big one :-) ]
Then I regulated it to the proper temp and let it set - then added a double handful of rods.
The rods outgassed for some time - and I cooked them for an hour or so. Then
I let them cool down (still inside the Barbie) as I setup my plastic sealing machine (made for food).

I took a chunk of old coke box (thin compressed carboard) and bent a 4" wide with a 4x6 chunk.
The holder end (with the sharp end edges that one clips into the rod holder).
Grabbed a small handful (precision weight naturally) put the sharp ends in the cardboard and kept them
within it as I thrust that end down deep into a long plastic bag. Bag longer than needed for re-sealing.

Once fully in, set it up to pump down the internal air (and any added moisture) keeping the sharp ends
in the cardboard all the while. Once completed, the set is held tightly and is rigid. Store in box,
on the shelf, where you wish.

Cut the area along the seal, drag out the rods needed or as needed and reseal when completed for another day.
Stick number color power diam cook hold
7018MR E7018 Gray AC/DC+ 3/32 275 175

I cut it out of a chart I created for my sticks.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
Gunner

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:10:51 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:14:02 GMT, Gunner
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I am trying to start not KFing you again Gunner, because you have laid
off the _posted_ rants. But if you keep slipping the sort of **** you
quote below in, I find it very hard.

I do not agree with what I _think_ the below is trying to say (I am
not quite sure) but whatever, it has annoying logic holes in it, as is
so often the case in situations where people "talk politely and try to
work out a solution to problems".

Its a sig. A quote or statement from someone else that the poster
considers to be of import, or of humor or of some other significance.
In this particular quote from Mr. Swarze..I believe there to be a
rather large grain of truth. Boulder sized in fact. Take it as you
wish.

As has been noted many times recently before and after the just
completed election..the country is in a cusp period, with a very very
very wide ideological divide between two segments of society.

One side is still refusing to believe that their ideological control
of the nation has slipped away from them. The other side took control
as they had finally had enough of the actions and ideology of the
other side. Shrug..so the Left side and its ideologs still continue
to push, push push and in their desperation, are becoming more and
more agressive and militant. A good case in point would be the ELF.
They have a long history of arson, vandalism and murder. Their
slightly more moderate ideological bretheran have largely been giving
them a pass, or even tacit approval. The ELFs actions are becoming
more and more desperate, and they will sooner or later step completly
over the edge. They will then reap what they have sown as those who
have been their victims crush them. It may indeed be from the roof
tops and it may be organizations other than the ELF...but that day is
likely not too far in the future. Shrug. We can only hope it never
happens, but frankly..some folks cannot be negotiated with and I dont
hold out much hope that they will moderate their stances or agendas or
actions, and for that..they will likely die.

We do live in "interesting times"

Gunner

[...]

Gunner

wrote:

Gunner wrote in message . ..

[...]

I was given an entire spool of heating element wire last week. A flat
ribbon about 3/16 in its width..I wonder if I should make a rod oven?

Gunner

[...]

Old Nick

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:23:15 GMT, Gunner
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

You apparently don't get it.

Read John Le Carre's book "The Secret Pilgrim", and the chapter about
Britta (sp?), the German IRA (or insert (pun intended) whatever else
you want) "lady".
Gunner

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:31:37 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:23:15 GMT, Gunner
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

You apparently don't get it.

Get what?

Read John Le Carre's book "The Secret Pilgrim", and the chapter about
Britta (sp?), the German IRA (or insert (pun intended) whatever else
you want) "lady".

How about simply giving me the Cliff Notes version. Ive little time to
look up obscure tracts. Im trying to make a living.

I just looked up a few book reviews, and I still dont have a clue as
to what you are going on about.

If you dont like my conclusions on the reality of the matter..then so
be it. As I said..I most sincerly hope that we dont reach that
threshold, we already have a full plate with Militant Islam, but the
patience towards many things is running thin on both sides.

Shrug.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Beachcooler

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Now off to National Welders.....

Emmo

No need to get too fancy; I have seen rod ovens made from a lightbulb in an
old refrigerator...

Gunner

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:42:55 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
How about simply giving me the Cliff Notes version. Ive little time to
look up obscure tracts. Im trying to make a living.

Ah, so you get to ask "cites?" of others, but they cannot ask it of you?

Tim

Blink blink...wha???

He asked me to go 45 miles to the nearest bookstore and hunt down a
book, buy it for $27.95, drive the 45 miles home and read it.

This means no one can ask me for a cite?

Have a mini-stroke last night?

Seek help.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Old Nick

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:16:49 GMT, Gunner
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you dont like my conclusions on the reality of the matter..then so
be it.

Nooo.

I don't like having _every_ post that you make include _other people's
opinions on the situation_ (a lot different from your conclusions on
reality).

Start posting OT again, so I can simply ignore that, not having it
imposed upon me by stealth, and still read what you post that is of
interest to me.

Old Nick

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:16:49 GMT, Gunner
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

How about simply giving me the Cliff Notes version. Ive little time to
look up obscure tracts. Im trying to make a living.

Ha! So that's why you post the same one all time eh?

Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

Gunner wrote in message . ..

[...]

The ribbon heating element wire lasts and lasts. It seems that a 2-D burn does in wire,
but can't do it on ribbons.

I have some Mil-spec heaters mounted within heat sinks that I'll build one up with. Surplus
naturally. Might try doing a temp controller to idle and not increase and increase.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
Gunner

wrote:

Gunner wrote in message . ..

[...]

Ive got a ****load of new temp controllers. Want one? They are analog
temperature holding, IRRC 220vac.

Ropex Resistron RES-102 (just ran out to the shed) Made in 9 of 92.
They are about the size of a car stereo, and indeed are 220vac

The one I have in my lap goes up to 300C according to the dial on the
meter. I think I have 6 or more of them. May be different temp
ranges.

Maybe build me a simple rod oven and Ill supply the Stuff for both of
us? I also have a couple bushel baskets of mould heaters. Most of
them are rod heaters with armored leads, but have some wavy ones that
power from both ends, etc. I dont have a clue what all is here. I wish
someone with a grasp of industrial stuff would swing in and spend a
day or so here. Perhaps the mould heaters would work as a temp
source. I dont know how hot they get. Neat packaging though..stainless
steel rods of all sizes. And I know Ive got at least 100
thermocouples of all sizes. Type Ks, whatever the hell that is.....

Geeeze..there must be 20 or more sets of industrial photo electric
units all neatly still in the boxes..dumped in the big assed Gorton
pallets piled in the back yard. Pulleys, 3000 v, cogged and timing
belts, a couple thousand pounds of bearings rusting away in a big
heap... sigh...

Gunner, who really wants his yard back.....

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Gunner

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:56:10 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Ive got a ****load of new temp controllers. Want one? They are analog
temperature holding, IRRC 220vac.

These look identical though mine have an additional alarm output

http://www.borkelectronic.dk/NET_Ser.../RES-210_e.pdf

the 220 shows the alarm switch and wiring
http://www.borkelectronic.dk/NET_Ser.../RES-220_e.pdf

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Don Foreman

Those controllers use the temperature-dependent resistance of the
heating element itself to sense temperature. In order to be accurate
they would have to be driving a heating element they were specifically
designed to work with.

wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:20:33 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Those controllers use the temperature-dependent resistance of the
heating element itself to sense temperature. In order to be accurate
they would have to be driving a heating element they were specifically
designed to work with.

Really? So they couldnt be recalibrated with a thermometer?

Damn....

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
Don Foreman

wrote:

Those controllers use the temperature-dependent resistance of the
heating element itself to sense temperature. In order to be accurate
they would have to be driving a heating element they were specifically
designed to work with.

Really? So they couldnt be recalibrated with a thermometer?

Damn....

Gunner

You might be able to do that if the heating element used is
comparable in wattage to whatever they were designed to use. Most
heaters use nichrome wire, so the temperature coefficient would
probably be quite similar if the wattage were similar.

A little tinkering would tell that story faster than a whole lot of
conjecture.

Stick welding Sheet Metal Alon Seal Metalworking 8 May 4th 04 02:55 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM