Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:50:45 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On 29 Nov 2004 23:37:56 -0800, (jerry_tig2003)
wrote:

Gunner wrote in message . ..

I purchased a pound of AL435 aluminum stick welding rod a couple of
weeks ago, just to futz around with. Today I got it out and played
with it.

The stuff WORKS. Rather amazing how well it works. But damn it burns
fast.

Come back in a month, will you? The stuff works, but the rods do not
keep when the pack is open. They are very sensitive to humidity.

My pound of rod has been open for at least 3 weeks and stored on a
shelf in the middle of my back yard, during the foggy season. Seems
to as yet, not been too effected. Im going to have to figure out how
to dry all my 7018 as it appears to be a bit damp as the coating tends
to flake off.

Since I have yet to build my rod cooker/container - I put a large cookie sheet
on our propane Barbie - and turned on three sets of burners [Nice big one :-) ]
Then I regulated it to the proper temp and let it set - then added a double handful of rods.
The rods outgassed for some time - and I cooked them for an hour or so. Then
I let them cool down (still inside the Barbie) as I setup my plastic sealing machine (made for food).

I took a chunk of old coke box (thin compressed carboard) and bent a 4" wide with a 4x6 chunk.
The holder end (with the sharp end edges that one clips into the rod holder).
Grabbed a small handful (precision weight naturally) put the sharp ends in the cardboard and kept them
within it as I thrust that end down deep into a long plastic bag. Bag longer than needed for re-sealing.

Once fully in, set it up to pump down the internal air (and any added moisture) keeping the sharp ends
in the cardboard all the while. Once completed, the set is held tightly and is rigid. Store in box,
on the shelf, where you wish.

Cut the area along the seal, drag out the rods needed or as needed and reseal when completed for another day.
Stick number color power diam cook hold
7018MR E7018 Gray AC/DC+ 3/32 275 175

I cut it out of a chart I created for my sticks.
Martin

I was given an entire spool of heating element wire last week. A flat
ribbon about 3/16 in its width..I wonder if I should make a rod oven?

Gunner

The ribbon heating element wire lasts and lasts. It seems that a 2-D burn does in wire,
but can't do it on ribbons.

I have some Mil-spec heaters mounted within heat sinks that I'll build one up with. Surplus
naturally. Might try doing a temp controller to idle and not increase and increase.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer