Ken Davey

Default What's with UPS?

Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.
/rant mode
Regards.
Ken.

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Footy

I think the problem is with the Canadian government, not UPS. Why don't you
try to fix the problems in your own country before complaining about
another?

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:21:38 -0700, "Footy" wrote:

I think the problem is with the Canadian government, not UPS. Why don't you
try to fix the problems in your own country before complaining about
another?

When a transportation company tries to charge $35.00 service charge on
a parcel clearly detailed as being a "manufacturers sample for
evaluation - no commercial value" the problem lies in the brown truck
- not in Ottawa.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Don Foreman

They do seem to, but it's not limited to US suppliers. I just
bought some stuff from Future Electronics (based in Canada).
No duty charges because the goods were shipped from a US location, but
shipping charge was $9 for stuff that could have been shipped USPS
for 60 cents in a small padded envelope.

I think many suppliers defer to UPS to deal with Canadian customs, and
UPS makes a tidy profit for doing so. The Canadian gov't does not
like money flowing south, makes it as inconvenient as possible. I
say this from personal experience as a consultant. I was detained
for over an hour in Vancouver until I was able to make it clear that I
was supporting a Canadian division of a US Corp and was being paid by
the US corp in US funds from US accounts. I still had to assert
several times that I'd be doing "no useful work"; I'd attend
engineering meetings but I'd not make anything useful that they'd
rather a Canadian should be making.

If your government creates impediments to trade that cause you
inconvenience and discourages US vendors, perhaps you should direct
your rants at them. Perhaps they're convinced that your
inconvenience serves the greater overall economic benefit of Canada
by keeping Canadian money in Canada as much as possible.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:51:40 -0700, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.
/rant mode
Regards.
Ken.

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:25:16 -0500, the renowned Don Foreman
wrote:

They do seem to, but it's not limited to US suppliers. I just
bought some stuff from Future Electronics (based in Canada).
No duty charges because the goods were shipped from a US location, but
shipping charge was $9 for stuff that could have been shipped USPS
for 60 cents in a small padded envelope.

The problem is that UPS charges at both ends. A *lot*. They also try
to mislead on their invoices, IMO. But real distributors such as
Future, Avnet, Pioneer, Arrow etc. tend to charge a bundle for
shipping whether foreign or domestic.

I think many suppliers defer to UPS to deal with Canadian customs, and
UPS makes a tidy profit for doing so.

Most US suppliers don't really want to do anything outside the US,
period. They have a fat profitable market and anything else is
considered a hassle and a distraction. Unfortunately, USPS does not
provided much of an alternative, because it's still an inefficient
state-run monopoly, unlike most other developed countries where at
least the retail end has been privatized (no line-ups). Post-911,
AFAIUI, they also penalize exports by requiring all packages to be
physically handed to a post-office clerk. UPS comes to the door and
picks the packages up.

The Canadian gov't does not
like money flowing south, makes it as inconvenient as possible.

Nonsense. On imports, the product and country of origin must be
identified and any applicable sales tax (usually no duty on anything
US made and many other things) paid, I don't know how it could be any
simpler without a customs union (which would get into all kinds of
unpleasant issues). "As inconvenient as possible"? Where in the world
do you get that from? I've imported to both countries, and Canada is
more free to imports than the US. Consider bond requirement in case of
retroactive assessments, for example, which isn't even a question in
Canada. FCC waiver hassles with huge potential fines. You can't even
mail a single bl**dy factory-sealed chocolate bar into the US as of a
month or two ago. Complex quotas on many categories of goods. Etc.

All the politically expedient protectionism in all its forms hampers
an orderly revaluation of the USD, which would make US exports easier
and more lucrative and imports less attractive.

say this from personal experience as a consultant. I was detained
for over an hour in Vancouver until I was able to make it clear that I
was supporting a Canadian division of a US Corp and was being paid by
the US corp in US funds from US accounts. I still had to assert
several times that I'd be doing "no useful work"; I'd attend
engineering meetings but I'd not make anything useful that they'd
rather a Canadian should be making.

Any country should verify a visitor's status and legality/tax status
of them working in the country. How it goes depends on how you answer
their questions as well as the facts. You don't think the US, UK etc.
hassle business visitors this way? Or is that ok? Degreed engineers
(American/Canadian/Mexican engineers going in any direction) are
generally free to work (as an employee) in any NAFTA country
temporarily (up to a few years, renewable) under reciprocal rules, but
there are a few documentation requirements (a letter from the emloyer
etc.).

If your government creates impediments to trade that cause you
inconvenience and discourages US vendors, perhaps you should direct
your rants at them. Perhaps they're convinced that your
inconvenience serves the greater overall economic benefit of Canada
by keeping Canadian money in Canada as much as possible.

No, the problem (if you can call it that) is that the US market is
huge and fat, and the suppliers are satisified enough doing domestic
business. They don't want to bother (adding a field or two to their
database) with getting an extra 10% from Canada or (even worse)
dealing with overseas customers who might speak funny languages or
make strange-sounding demands. A few progressive distributors such as
Digikey have done it and are doing very well exporting (though they
tend to run into trouble exporting to other fat markets such as the
UK, smaller markets are easier).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Karl Vorwerk

I live in Hawaii (last I heard still part of the US) and UPS charges a $10
surcharge on top of they're regular shipping fee for anything that comes out
here. I never use them.
Karl

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
[...]

---

Tom Gardner

What about FedEx? Are they the same? Never bash our northern neighbors!
Anybody that can brew those beers and grow those fish has my undying
respect. Besides, Canada will make a wonderful addition to the tax base and
natural resources in the US when we take them over and cut them up into
states.

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Brian Lawson

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:21:38 -0700, "Footy" wrote:

I think the problem is with the Canadian government, not UPS. Why don't you
try to fix the problems in your own country before complaining about
another?

Boy, there's a knowledge based reply. Maybe you thought it Was USPS
instead of UPS?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Jon Elson

Ken Davey wrote:
Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.

UPS is easy to deal with, and has been very smart in hooking their
software systems up to internet vendor's systems, so the generation
of shipping paperwork is automated. All the on-line distributors,
whether electronics (Digi-Key), machine tool (MSC), MRO (McMaster-Carr)
etc. use this facility, as well as many of the big eBay sellers.
(Of course, Fed-Ex has the same stuff, now, but I think UPS was there
first.)

But, for my little business, totally NOT-automated, USPS looks pretty
good to me. I save on shipping charges, delivery only takes a day or
so longer, and I have much less damage, at least within the US. But,
sending stuff via post to Canada, I have had WORSE damage than even
UPS can inflict. I think I have had 75% of my shipments to Canada
damaged! And I mean serious damage, like half the items missing, or
circuit boards crushed! That is apalling! I believe in 15 years
of operation, I have only had a couple of USPS packages damaged within
the US.

With UPS, I have learned how to pack small items to be shipped with a
low probability of damage, but heavy stuff, like logic analyzers and
rotary tables get smashed every time. If I had to guarantee this kind
of stuff would not be damaged, I'd end up sending a 6" rotary table
in a 10 FOOT box filled with foam blocks holding a small box inside.
I just can't understand why they do this! Obviously, they just open the
doors of the semis and push the entire contents out onto the pavement
4 feet below! I mean, it isn't an occasional package that gets damaged,
it is EVERY SINGLE ONE that has a heavy object inside.

When I send any goods over 1 Lb to Canada, I have to fill out the
customs declaration, and the customer gets a bill at the other end.
It seems to take 2 weeks PLUS to get a shipment delivered to Canada.
Of course, I can have a package in Detroit in 3 days.

I do remember getting a UPS shipment of an unsolicited software demo
from Protel in Australia some years ago, and fumed over getting a
$5.01 bill from UPS. $5.00 customs clearing fee, and $0.01 duty paid.

Jon

Don Foreman

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:45:00 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

AFAIUI, they also penalize exports by requiring all packages to be
physically handed to a post-office clerk. UPS comes to the door and
picks the packages up.

Right. With USPS the mailer must personally present the parcel along
with the little green customs sticker. Digi-Key will ship USPS
domestically. Since I'm in MN, ordinarly USPS usually arrives 2d day
and it's always considerably less $ than UPS. Digi-Key charges actual
shipping cost rather than marking up "shipping" as well as goods.

[...]

Guess I've been told! You would know, having done it in both
directions. The guy at Vancouver actually told me they wanted to keep
money in Canada. I didn't make that up. Maybe I just had an unusual
experience. I've sure seen some horror shows in US
customs/immigration with visitors being treated so badly I wished I
could intervene on their behalf. That was in Boston. Made me want to
pretend I was a Canadian!

[...]

I musta said a "wrong thing" in Vancouver, though I don't know what
that might have been. Never had a speck of trouble entering the UK
or Europe for business or pleasure.

Jim Stewart

wrote:

AFAIUI, they also penalize exports by requiring all packages to be
physically handed to a post-office clerk. UPS comes to the door and
picks the packages up.

Right. With USPS the mailer must personally present the parcel along
with the little green customs sticker. Digi-Key will ship USPS
domestically. Since I'm in MN, ordinarly USPS usually arrives 2d day
and it's always considerably less $ than UPS. Digi-Key charges actual
shipping cost rather than marking up "shipping" as well as goods.

Many companies calculate "shipping" as the cost
to ship to you plus the cost to have the raw
goods shipped to them.

We do it and it might appear to be a bit of a ripoff,
but it allows us to understand our costs a little
better and not have to fold shipping into our cost
of goods.
Larry Green

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:21:38 -0700, "Footy" wrote:

I think the problem is with the Canadian government, not UPS. Why don't you
try to fix the problems in your own country before complaining about
another?

When a transportation company tries to charge $35.00 service charge on
a parcel clearly detailed as being a "manufacturers sample for
evaluation - no commercial value" the problem lies in the brown truck
- not in Ottawa.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

'Big Brown' has long been known as a 'gouger' when it comes to brokerage
fees. Whenever I have to order stuff from the States I insist it comes
via US Mail and not UPS or FedEx (FedEx are just as bad but they send
you a bill 2 months later!)

Canada Post charges a flat rate per parcel for brokerage (around 5 bux
IIRC) over a certain value. In fact, my last parcel was a gift from a
friend (and marked as such) and I paid no duty, taxes or brokerage fees
on that one.

If you have a Customs office in London you can do your own brokerage and
if you tell UPS you do your own paperwork they do not charge their 'rip
off' fees, BUT, you do have to collect the parcel from their depot.
Unfortunately that doesn't work for me as my nearest depot is in Windsor
and they insist on the brokerage fee as it is done at the border.

--
Larry Green
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:43:46 -0500, the renowned Don Foreman
wrote:

I musta said a "wrong thing" in Vancouver, though I don't know what
that might have been. Never had a speck of trouble entering the UK
or Europe for business or pleasure.

Worst case seems to be a lone (ie. not a corporate employee) person
entering with "tools", equipment or commercial quantities of goods of
some kind (that you could earn a living from) in hand.

It's always okay to go for pleasure, to go to a trade show (even with
reasonable samples in hand), to make a sales trip (even with
commercial samples). So, if you're there for a meeting, to visit a
trade show, and to visit friends/relatives, you know which ones to
mention first. Degreed engineers (and a few other folks) are a special
privileged category so always give that as your occupation (only if
it's true, of course).

Things where you are billing a foreign company for work actually done
for them on foreign soil are indistinguishable from working there as
an employee, so you become potentially subject to all kinds of tax and
work permit regulations (both the IRS and CCRA like to get their pound
of flesh). It MAY be okay, depending, but they will have to ask a lot
of questions.

US immigration in particular sometimes is suspicious that a "visitor"
is actually a returning illegal immigrant that has set up shop in the
US, and likes to see even rudimentary proof of living/working
permanently somewhere else (driver's license, business card etc.).
Anything out of the ordinary (for example, a "visitor" holding the
return half of an airline ticket originating in the US, or
suspiciously little luggage) can trigger further questions.

Unfortunately, further initiatives that make short-term precleared
business travel easier (such as the E-APEC business travel card) are
more on the back burner these days in North America.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Koz

Top posted because it's getting long again.

As far as I can see, UPS contracts their brokerage workings rather than
doing it themselves. I once received a copy of one of these UPS broker
invoices by mistake from our regular broker. Although UPS probably
still makes a huge profit, adding a middleman to the mix probably is
part of the increased cost.

As to Don's comment about being held at the border trying to explain,
been there...done that. There is a NAFTA booklet (about 40 pages IIRC)
that is downloadable from the Canadian Government that explains what you
can and cannot get away with in terms of going to Canada. I suggest you
try and find it (sorry, no time to find a link right now) and adjust
what you tell customs to match those requirements. Often it's a matter
of semantics for the border people. Simply using the wrong word sends
up a red flag that costs you hours in customs.

Koz

wrote:

Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.
/rant mode
Regards.
Ken.

Grant Erwin

Some time ago UPS raised *all* their rates. They are now completely
noncompetitive and are solely milking their market share. I never use
them anymore if I can help it. Try FedEx. - GWE

Ken Davey wrote:
Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.
/rant mode
Regards.
Ken.

Brian Lawson

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:57:48 -0700, Koz
wrote:

As to Don's comment about being held at the border trying to explain,
been there...done that. There is a NAFTA booklet (about 40 pages IIRC)
that is downloadable from the Canadian Government that explains what you
can and cannot get away with in terms of going to Canada. I suggest you
try and find it (sorry, no time to find a link right now) and adjust
what you tell customs to match those requirements. Often it's a matter
of semantics for the border people. Simply using the wrong word sends
up a red flag that costs you hours in customs.

Koz

SNIPPED ABOVE.

VERY VERY TRUE!!

I have a theory/saying, which from my side of the border (Canada)
applies to US Customs/Immigration, but I'm sure works for agents in
both countries. That is that there isn't one of those agents that
gets promoted or special recognition because of how many people he let
into the country (either one). He gets that by how many he can
justifiably keep out!!

And all in all I think they do very well. Just get into the inside
office someday and it's pretty fascinating to watch.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Pete Bergstrom

wrote:
All the politically expedient protectionism in all its forms hampers
an orderly revaluation of the USD, which would make US exports easier
and more lucrative and imports less attractive.

Guess I've been told! You would know, having done it in both
directions. The guy at Vancouver actually told me they wanted to keep
money in Canada. I didn't make that up. Maybe I just had an unusual
experience. I've sure seen some horror shows in US
customs/immigration with visitors being treated so badly I wished I
could intervene on their behalf. That was in Boston. Made me want to
pretend I was a Canadian!

I also had a small grilling from the customs officer when traveling into
Vancouver, for the same large US-based company, although on an entirely
different business matter.

However, before the trip I got plenty of coaching from people at work about
precisely what answers to give to certain questions, and I'm certain that
short-circuited much of the possible trouble. This was probably well after
Don's trip, and I'm glad to finally find out where the hard-won experience
came from.

THANKS, DON!

Pete

Ted Edwards

Footy wrote:

I think the problem is with the Canadian government, not UPS. Why don't you
try to fix the problems in your own country before complaining about
another?

You are dead wrong on that. USPS - no problem. UPS are gougers.
Standard brokerage fee of $35 + any duty and taxes. Most stuff from US
(e.g. inserts from Travers) are duty free. $10 worth of these gathered
tax of about $1.50 PLUS $35 for UPS. Same parcel by USPS - no problem.
Fortunately, a number of companies now have Canadian ordering (e.g. KBC,
Digi-key).

Ted

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:

Made me want to pretend I was a Canadian!

Be sure you have friends in high places before trying it. Recently a
Syrian born _Canadian_ _citizen_ travelling to the US from Canada was
deported from the States to Syria. He had a rather unpleasant and
lengthy stay there.

I musta said a "wrong thing" in Vancouver, though I don't know what
that might have been. Never had a speck of trouble entering the UK
or Europe for business or pleasure.

Maybe the guy had a fight with his wife. I've had good and bad times
going both ways across the US/Canada border.

Ted

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:

If your government creates impediments to trade that cause you
inconvenience and discourages US vendors, perhaps you should direct
your rants at them. Perhaps they're convinced that your
inconvenience serves the greater overall economic benefit of Canada
by keeping Canadian money in Canada as much as possible.

You are unusually ill informed for you on that one, Don. Try checking
into US impediments to trade. e.g. softwood lumber. "Free trade" seems
to mean that the US should be allowed to export anything anywhere.
Imports are an entirely different matter.

Ted

David Courtney

That's not exactly true.
We've had Canadian customers refuse to accept packages that we sent
using the USPS "Global Express" service because USPS hands the packages off
to couriers who charge their own brokerage fees (which are higher than UPS
charges).
Nobody at the post office here knew anything about the brokerage fees,
but after the last package was returned I got the postmaster to go through
their documentation and saw that they do use private couriers and do not
have control over the brokerage fees.
The only reason that your normal USPS stuff comes through without the
high brokerage fees is that the American tax payers are paying the US postal
service to handle the paperwork; rather than charging the Canadian customers
like they should be... which may seem fair to you, but it doesn't to me.
David

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Footy wrote:

I think the problem is with the Canadian government, not UPS. Why don't
you
try to fix the problems in your own country before complaining about
another?

You are dead wrong on that. USPS - no problem. UPS are gougers.
Standard brokerage fee of $35 + any duty and taxes. Most stuff from US
(e.g. inserts from Travers) are duty free. $10 worth of these gathered
tax of about $1.50 PLUS $35 for UPS. Same parcel by USPS - no problem.
Fortunately, a number of companies now have Canadian ordering (e.g. KBC,
Digi-key).

Ted

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:57:38 -0500, the renowned "David Courtney"
wrote:

[...]

*What* paperwork? They just hand the box, exactly as they receive it
over the counter, to Canada post, who then does the entry, does local
delivery and collects any taxes due. USPS does far less than they
would for a domestic delivery.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Mark Rand

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:57:48 -0700, Koz
wrote:

snip

As to Don's comment about being held at the border trying to explain,
been there...done that. There is a NAFTA booklet (about 40 pages IIRC)
that is downloadable from the Canadian Government that explains what you
can and cannot get away with in terms of going to Canada. I suggest you
try and find it (sorry, no time to find a link right now) and adjust
what you tell customs to match those requirements. Often it's a matter
of semantics for the border people. Simply using the wrong word sends
up a red flag that costs you hours in customs.

Koz

You mean like the time I was asked if I had more than US$1000 on me when
arriving at Delhi Airport in the mid '80s? I said no, This was a correct
answer to the question. I didn't mention the UK£2000 worth of travellers
cheques!

Mark Rand
RTFM
Larry Green

David Courtney wrote:
[...]

I think the key phrase above is *USPS "Global Express"*. It would make
sense for the USPS to outsource 'expedited' packages through a set-up
specifically designed to handle that traffic. However, regular USPS air
or surface mail is handled between the USPS and Canada Post. It may take
a few days longer to receive the goods but I find it for more cost
effective.

Larry Green
Shiver Me Timbers

Ted Edwards wrote:

"Free trade" seems to mean that the US should
be allowed to export anything anywhere.

Imports are an entirely different matter.

Your hitting the nail squarly on the head.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:59:16 -0400, Larry Green
calmly ranted:

I think the key phrase above is *USPS "Global Express"*. It would make
sense for the USPS to outsource 'expedited' packages through a set-up
specifically designed to handle that traffic. However, regular USPS air
or surface mail is handled between the USPS and Canada Post. It may take
a few days longer to receive the goods but I find it for more cost
effective.

I recently sent some of my glare guards to the Canadian Space
Agency via USPS Global Priority. I didn't hear anything about
customs or delays from them. Then again, it took 5 weeks to
get paid for 'em, too.

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------

Gerald Miller

wrote:

I think the key phrase above is *USPS "Global Express"*. It would make
sense for the USPS to outsource 'expedited' packages through a set-up
specifically designed to handle that traffic. However, regular USPS air
or surface mail is handled between the USPS and Canada Post. It may take
a few days longer to receive the goods but I find it for more cost
effective.

Larry Green

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use any special handling options unless it is
absolutely necessary. Surface mail here in the "Frozen North" will in
all probability take ten percent longer to reach it's destination, at
half the cost as air mail.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Howard Eisenhauer

Don, I've travelled on buisiness from Canada to the US quite a few
times & run into the exact same situation (once) with US immigration
so it goes both ways . Not sure about the guy who gave you the line
about keeping money in Canada, unfortunately we have our fair share of
burocratic assholes as well . The goverment has very little control
on money going out of the country for persnal or buisiness purchases.
Of course depending on what you've ordered you may have problems
getting it in, but thats a different discussion.

FYI if Future shop had sent your order from a Canadian location via
UPS you would have been docked the same outrageous "brokerage" fee.

Howard.

wrote:

Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.
/rant mode
Regards.
Ken.

Howard Eisenhauer

Google "UPS Sucks"

or look here-

http://www.vcnet.com/~rossde/ups_sucks.html

I find most suppliers will ship USPS if asked too & the package meets
size/weight limits. If not, go someplace else.

Howard.

wrote:

Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.
/rant mode
Regards.
Ken.

Howard Eisenhauer

Tom FEDEx as wellas other couriers do indeed charge brokerage fees,
check out thier websites. They are, IMHO, nowheres as bad as UPS &
are up-front about it. Try to find mention of this on the UPS site,
it's there if you know what you're looking for but you have to really
search for it.

As for political union, heres my initial terms:

1. Name of the country is to be changed to "Canada & The Other Guys"

2. Get used to funny looking money

3. Selected sections of Quebec & New Jersy are to be cut loose

4. You can keep the guns, but possesion of a bullet is Bad News

5. You will adopt the national dress, namely a Touque & "Beaver
Patrol" t-shirt

6. You'll have to pass a linguistics test, demonstrating the ability
to make yourself understood in both official languages while saying
"Eh?"

7. A written confession that we won the war of 1812

8. As both governments seem to be full of hacks, twits, bums, crooks,
hangers on & morons all administration will be handed over to the
Mexicans

As I think about it there may be more terms. In the mean time if you
accept send me a certified cheque for $1 Billon & I'll get the deed
out o you the next buiness day .

H.

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Marty Escarcega

I tell you what, I won't send anything to Canada anymore because of the
brokerage nightmare. I had a Canadian tell me he would take care of the
duties on an item, ended up being $80 or so US dollars, FedEx tried to
collect them from him, he naturally refused, so FedEx dinged my account.
Its a royal pain in the rear end. I don't know what the answer is but as
long as governments have control of it, it is what it is. I realize this
guy was a flake, and I'm not labeling Canadians at all, its the paperwork
hassel.

I don't think much of UPS and now FedEx Ground anymore. Recently FedEx told
me that I can't insure a used item. Only new items in their factory
packaging. These idiots expect ME to be responsible for their mishandling
of goods. Ah well, just another one of those things that gripes me. :-)
Marty Escarcega

Ya know, maybe its time to try the guys in the Yellow Van
DHL??
Peter Wiley

[...]

Gee, if you change 'Canada' to 'USA' you'll have an exact description
of what your INS people do all the time. Since I don't see many
complaints about that, I consider that you're just getting what your
Govt has sown.

I used to work for and be paid by a foreign subsidiary of a US
corporation. Had that sort of hassle whenever I flew into the USA.
Shrug. Get used to it. Since the USA decided to tighten up all sorts
of rules & regs in a totally useless attempt to stop something, other
countries on the recieving end are doing the same to US citizens in
turn. You fingerprint nationals on entry, we do the same in return. So
it goes. I don't bother going to the States any more, too much hassle
and my country is on the 'favourite few' list. God help the rest.....

PDW
gerry

"Ken Davey" wrote in message ...
Rant mode
Do these assholes have some sort of a lock on internet material suppliers in
the USA?
Shipping to Canada is so expensive with this outfit that I automatically
cancel an order if that is the only shipping option offered.
Aside from the fact that many US distributors seem to deliberately ignore
the Canadian market those that do ship to Canada seem to be in love/bed with
UPS.
Get with it guys. We have money too but we are not going to be stupid with
it.
/rant mode
Regards.
Ken.

I purchased some items from a firm in Nebraska a few weeks ago. I
requested the parcel be sent via U.S. Postal Service. The guy
commented right away about the UPS ripoff. When the goods arrived at
the border, they were taken by PBB Logistics. That's an outfit run by
Purolator and under contract to Canada Post to handle parcels from the
USPS. I recieved in the mail an invoice from PBB for the duty and
taxes owing. Around $20 including brokerage fee. They charge 3% of the
due amount as their fee. Minimum $5.

On 9 Sep 2004 05:38:55 -0700, (gerry) wrote:

"Ken Davey" wrote in message ...
[...]

And if it is sent by normal post, Canada Post only dings you $5
handling fee plus applicable taxes (gst, and sometimes PST)

A lot of small packages just pass through without any tax or fee.

Purolator's shipping charges are a bit higher than the others, but
international shipping rates INCLUDE brokerage - or they did the last
time I used them from the USA, a couple years ago

Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:53:08 GMT, the renowned
wrote:

On 9 Sep 2004 05:38:55 -0700,
(gerry) wrote:

"Ken Davey" wrote in message ...
[...]

Fedex Express includes brokerage. Fedex ground does not, but they
allow you pick your broker and their rates are relatively reasonable
for big heavy stuff. They tend not to lose or break stuff, ever.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Tom Gardner

Howard!

I printed out your guidelines and conditions and sent them to my
Congressman, expect a check any day now. The only stickler is which parts
of Quebec? Can we keep the wilderness part and nuke Montreal? ...along
with all of NJ?

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Howard Eisenhauer

Hey, I like Montreal! The parts I was thinking about are where most
of the people don't want to be part of Canada anyhow. As fer NJ, I
was really only concerned about getting rid of Hoboken. But,
whatthehey,Eh? If you want to make it glow(ier) in the dark, I'm
willing to amend the agreement.

H.

p.p.- Don't forget to tell your congressman its a certified check,
otherwise you'll have to wait untill it clears the bank before the
deed goes out. (via UPS)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:05:12 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Howard!

I printed out your guidelines and conditions and sent them to my
Congressman, expect a check any day now. The only stickler is which parts
of Quebec? Can we keep the wilderness part and nuke Montreal? ...along
with all of NJ?

.. .

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Don Foreman

Yes, it would appear that I had my head up the proverbial on that one.
Apologies and retractions humbly offered. I guess what one cranky customs
official says should not be taken as government attitude. I've no doubt the
US has a few (or more) similar dolts in similar jobs.

I'm surprised about your softwood lumber comment though. I often must stop
for a train at a nearby Burlington Northern/Santa Fe grade crossing, see
car after car of lumber go by with big red maple leaf logos on the covers.
Looks like someone has figured out how to do it. I wish I knew where it
was going. I think my local Menard's imports from Outer Twistovia or
perhaps Warpland....

Don Foreman wrote:

If your government creates impediments to trade that cause you
inconvenience and discourages US vendors, perhaps you should direct
your rants at them. Perhaps they're convinced that your
inconvenience serves the greater overall economic benefit of Canada
by keeping Canadian money in Canada as much as possible.

You are unusually ill informed for you on that one, Don. Try checking
into US impediments to trade. e.g. softwood lumber. "Free trade" seems
to mean that the US should be allowed to export anything anywhere.
Imports are an entirely different matter.

Ted

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:

I'm surprised about your softwood lumber comment though. I often must stop
for a train at a nearby Burlington Northern/Santa Fe grade crossing, see
car after car of lumber go by with big red maple leaf logos on the covers.
Looks like someone has figured out how to do it.

Every attempt of the US to justify the high duties on Canadian softwood
lumber has been rejected by the tribunals yet the US continues appeal
after appeal. This is due to political pressure from US lumber
interests that are enjoying the resulting high prices. Of course the US
building trades aren't happy but they don't have as much clout as the
big producers.

was going. I think my local Menard's imports from Outer Twistovia or
perhaps Warpland....

Yeah. Get the gyproc on fast before it gets a chance to dry.

Ted