Roger Shoaf

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
.... Besides, Canada will make a wonderful addition to the tax base and
natural resources in the US when we take them over and cut them up into
states.

Hey there is an idea. Perhaps Ottawa can be convinced that they should
sell part of Canada to the U.S. I wonder what would happen if Quebec was
sold to the US?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:36:19 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
calmly ranted:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
... Besides, Canada will make a wonderful addition to the tax base and
natural resources in the US when we take them over and cut them up into
states.

Hey there is an idea. Perhaps Ottawa can be convinced that they should
sell part of Canada to the U.S. I wonder what would happen if Quebec was
sold to the US?

We'd end up with several more states whose ballots had to
add yet ANOTHER foreign language publication so the furriners
could vote in their native tongue. Feh!

I have nothing whatsoever against immigrants but feel very
strongly that if you want to vote, drive, own a business,
or suck on Uncle Sam's teat, you'd DAMNED well better speak,
read, and write in English. That holds for inner city youts
as well.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Gerald Miller

wrote:

Hey there is an idea. Perhaps Ottawa can be convinced that they should
sell part of Canada to the U.S. I wonder what would happen if Quebec was
sold to the US?

Only that part that was actually occupied by French immigrants prior
to 1759 - And NO water rights. Give the rest to the occupants at the
time, after all, the expansion of "La Belle Province" was only
expedited by the benevolence of the conquering forces; otherwise they
would still be farming half mile strips along the riverbanks, and
raiding their neighbours for extra protein.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:55:13 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

We'd end up with several more states whose ballots had to
add yet ANOTHER foreign language publication so the furriners
could vote in their native tongue. Feh!

I have nothing whatsoever against immigrants but feel very
strongly that if you want to vote, drive, own a business,
or suck on Uncle Sam's teat, you'd DAMNED well better speak,
read, and write in English. That holds for inner city youts
as well.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Change that to "Murkin English" if you want to be understood by more
than 5% of the population..
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Brian Lawson

Hey David,

That's true of all countries. And it's only the USPS who gets ANY
money when the package is sent into Canada. Canada Post gets nada.
Of course, on the other side, Canada Post into the US, Canada Post
gets the money, and USPS gets nada.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:57:38 -0500, "David Courtney"
wrote:

That's not exactly true.
We've had Canadian customers refuse to accept packages that we sent
using the USPS "Global Express" service because USPS hands the packages off
to couriers who charge their own brokerage fees (which are higher than UPS
charges).
Nobody at the post office here knew anything about the brokerage fees,
but after the last package was returned I got the postmaster to go through
their documentation and saw that they do use private couriers and do not
have control over the brokerage fees.
The only reason that your normal USPS stuff comes through without the
high brokerage fees is that the American tax payers are paying the US postal
service to handle the paperwork; rather than charging the Canadian customers
like they should be... which may seem fair to you, but it doesn't to me.
David

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Footy wrote:

I think the problem is with the Canadian government, not UPS. Why don't
you
try to fix the problems in your own country before complaining about
another?

You are dead wrong on that. USPS - no problem. UPS are gougers.
Standard brokerage fee of $35 + any duty and taxes. Most stuff from US
(e.g. inserts from Travers) are duty free. $10 worth of these gathered
tax of about $1.50 PLUS $35 for UPS. Same parcel by USPS - no problem.
Fortunately, a number of companies now have Canadian ordering (e.g. KBC,
Digi-key).

Ted