Old October 27th 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma Cutter

I'm shopping for one now ... and I'm wondering if the plot arc
feature is worth the extra cost . I'm looking at the bottom of the price
range , around 200-250 bucks - I'm not going to be using this thing all
day every day . I'm basically looking at one for irregular cuts and more
efficient cutting on things too big for my bandsaws . I don't do much OA
cutting since I'm operating on small bottles - a "B" tank for Acetylene
and a 20 CF oxygen tank . And since the wife has no objection ... she's
always been pretty flexible with me on buying tools , she knows I save
much more on repair costs than the cost of those tools .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non

Old October 28th 20, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2020 3:17 PM, Snag wrote:
* I'm shopping for one now ... and I'm wondering if the plot arc
feature is worth the extra cost . I'm looking at the bottom of the price
range , around 200-250 bucks - I'm not going to be using this thing all
day every day . I'm basically looking at one for irregular cuts and more
efficient cutting on things too big for my bandsaws . I don't do much OA
cutting since I'm operating on small bottles - a "B" tank for Acetylene
and a 20 CF oxygen tank . And since the wife has no objection ... she's
always been pretty flexible with me on buying tools , she knows I save
much more on repair costs than the cost of those tools .

Just remember that most of the small cheap plasma cutters tend to
overstate their cut and sever range. Also It won't cut as thick on
aluminum. I don't know what "plot arc" is. A quick search didn't tell
me.

Oh! Duh! I'm not normally that slow. I promise. I bet you meant
pilot arc. YES. Its it helps with interrupted cutting and cutting
dirty(ish) material. Some claims are that the pilot arc may burn
through paint, rust, and other gunk, and the main arc will come on when
the "current starts to flow."

One thing I would strongly suggest if you buy one of those inexpensive
low price import machines is stock up on consumables just in case they
aren't available later.

https://www.avg.com

Old October 28th 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2020 6:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Yeah , I missed that one when I proofread . I thought it would
probably be a feature I'd need , most of my stock is stored outside and
it's not too clean . And I figure they will fudge on the capabilities ,
but I think I'll be cutting 3/8" and under mostly - if it's heavier than
that there's always the OA torch . Most of my aluminum projects are
pretty small , I seldom need anything bigger than the 4X6 bandsaw . And
aluminum I can cut with my woodworking saws and the proper blades .

One thing I would strongly suggest if you buy one of those inexpensive
low price import machines is stock up on consumables just in case they
aren't available later.

I have read about the difficulty of getting consumables . They list
a torch model though I don't know how standardized that is between
vendors . Probably be a good idea to stock up as you suggest . I have
found a 50 amp unit with the pilot arc for 225 bucks that I think will
fit my needs . It's first job might be cutting those OCS's into knife
blanks ... I'm already thinking of ways to warm up the shop better this
winter so I can spend some Quality Time with my forge and anvil .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Old October 28th 20, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2020 5:42 PM, Snag wrote:

blanks ... I'm already thinking of ways to warm up the shop better this
winter so I can spend some Quality Time with my forge and anvil .

Um... am I missing something again? LIGHT THE FORGE! LOL.

https://www.avg.com

Old October 28th 20, 11:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message ...

I'm shopping for one now ... and I'm wondering if the plot arc
feature is worth the extra cost . I'm looking at the bottom of the price
range , around 200-250 bucks - I'm not going to be using this thing all
day every day . I'm basically looking at one for irregular cuts and more
efficient cutting on things too big for my bandsaws . I don't do much OA
cutting since I'm operating on small bottles - a "B" tank for Acetylene
and a 20 CF oxygen tank . And since the wife has no objection ... she's
always been pretty flexible with me on buying tools , she knows I save
much more on repair costs than the cost of those tools .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
carborundum

===========================

My 1/2 HP air compressor couldn't keep up with a 30A plasma cutter.

Old October 28th 20, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 17:17:09 -0500, Snag wrote:

I'm shopping for one now ... and I'm wondering if the plot arc
feature is worth the extra cost . I'm looking at the bottom of the price
range , around 200-250 bucks - I'm not going to be using this thing all
day every day . I'm basically looking at one for irregular cuts and more
efficient cutting on things too big for my bandsaws . I don't do much OA
cutting since I'm operating on small bottles - a "B" tank for Acetylene
and a 20 CF oxygen tank . And since the wife has no objection ... she's
always been pretty flexible with me on buying tools , she knows I save
much more on repair costs than the cost of those tools .

My plasma cutter, which is a nice (and expensive) Thermal arc, has a
feature that you set for cutting stuff like expanded metal or dirty
metal. I believe it is what is now called a pilot arc. I dunno what
Thermal Arc calls it. It does, on my machine, wear the consumables
faster, but when needed it sure is handy.
Eric

---

Old October 29th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2020 7:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 5:42 PM, Snag wrote:

blanks ... I'm already thinking of ways to warm up the shop better
this winter so I can spend some Quality Time with my forge and anvil .

Um... am I missing something again?* LIGHT THE FORGE!* LOL.

P.S. Yer a bad influence. I started looking at plasma cutters again
today.

https://www.avg.com

Old October 29th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 7:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 5:42 PM, Snag wrote:

blanks ... I'm already thinking of ways to warm up the shop better
this winter so I can spend some Quality Time with my forge and anvil .

Um... am I missing something again? LIGHT THE FORGE! LOL.

P.S. Yer a bad influence. I started looking at plasma cutters again
today.

They are incredibly handy at times. Much easier and faster than pretty
much every other cutting method except for a shear.

--
Steve W.
Old October 30th 20, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2020 9:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 5:42 PM, Snag wrote:

blanks ... I'm already thinking of ways to warm up the shop better
this winter so I can spend some Quality Time with my forge and anvil .

Um... am I missing something again?* LIGHT THE FORGE!* LOL.

The only problem with lighting up a gas forge (or torpedo heater) is
the several hundred pounds of cold iron machine tooling ... the forge
will warm the place quite nicely , but I end up with flash rust on the
lathe and mill . I have a small pot belly stove that might work out , I
just need to find the time to repair it and rearrange the whole shop to
accommodate it .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Old October 30th 20, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/28/2020 8:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 7:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 5:42 PM, Snag wrote:

blanks ... I'm already thinking of ways to warm up the shop better
this winter so I can spend some Quality Time with my forge and anvil .

Um... am I missing something again?* LIGHT THE FORGE!* LOL.

P.S.* Yer a bad influence.* I started looking at plasma cutters again
today.

They're getting quite reasonable now . The one I bought is one of the
cut50 variants with pilot arc . 225 bucks plus taxes , free shipping .
My wife didn't even ask what I wanted it for , she's a gem when it comes
to me buying tools .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non