Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma Cutter

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 17:17:09 -0500, Snag wrote:

I'm shopping for one now ... and I'm wondering if the plot arc
feature is worth the extra cost . I'm looking at the bottom of the price
range , around 200-250 bucks - I'm not going to be using this thing all
day every day . I'm basically looking at one for irregular cuts and more
efficient cutting on things too big for my bandsaws . I don't do much OA
cutting since I'm operating on small bottles - a "B" tank for Acetylene
and a 20 CF oxygen tank . And since the wife has no objection ... she's
always been pretty flexible with me on buying tools , she knows I save
much more on repair costs than the cost of those tools .

My plasma cutter, which is a nice (and expensive) Thermal arc, has a
feature that you set for cutting stuff like expanded metal or dirty
metal. I believe it is what is now called a pilot arc. I dunno what
Thermal Arc calls it. It does, on my machine, wear the consumables
faster, but when needed it sure is handy.
Eric

---