Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma Cutter

On 10/27/2020 3:17 PM, Snag wrote:
Â* I'm shopping for one now ... and I'm wondering if the plot arc
feature is worth the extra cost . I'm looking at the bottom of the price
range , around 200-250 bucks - I'm not going to be using this thing all
day every day . I'm basically looking at one for irregular cuts and more
efficient cutting on things too big for my bandsaws . I don't do much OA
cutting since I'm operating on small bottles - a "B" tank for Acetylene
and a 20 CF oxygen tank . And since the wife has no objection ... she's
always been pretty flexible with me on buying tools , she knows I save
much more on repair costs than the cost of those tools .

Just remember that most of the small cheap plasma cutters tend to
overstate their cut and sever range. Also It won't cut as thick on
aluminum. I don't know what "plot arc" is. A quick search didn't tell
me.

Oh! Duh! I'm not normally that slow. I promise. I bet you meant
pilot arc. YES. Its it helps with interrupted cutting and cutting
dirty(ish) material. Some claims are that the pilot arc may burn
through paint, rust, and other gunk, and the main arc will come on when
the "current starts to flow."

One thing I would strongly suggest if you buy one of those inexpensive
low price import machines is stock up on consumables just in case they
aren't available later.

https://www.avg.com