Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma Cutter

On 10/30/2020 12:18 AM, Snag wrote:
Â* The only problem with lighting up a gas forge (or torpedo heater) is
the several hundred pounds of cold iron machine tooling ... the forge
will warm the place quite nicely , but I end up with flash rust on the
lathe and mill . ...

Torpedo heaters (& any open-flame heater) are really, REALLY bad in a
shop. Because each pound of fuel burned produces more than a pound of
water vapor*!! Water vapor + cold steel = flash rust, as you found.

* - the reaction is very straightforward, but I'm too lazy to work out
the details. Basically it's hydrocarbon plus oxygen gives CO2 & H2O.