Default Advice needed for cutting aluminum

I want to start making some custom pieces out of aluminum stock that will
require accurate, clean cutting and don't like the results obtained by
using my chop saw.

What's the best route? Metal cutting bandsaw? If so, can I get by with a
low end unit like the one offered by Harbor Freight for $170? Will it also
be useful for future projects using say 16 ga. mild steel, etc?

Any input is appreciated!
Machineman

I assume you are using an abrasive chop saw. Have you tried using a
mitre saw(wood type). I find it gives excellent results and a clean
accurate cut. They give a better cut than a band saw but will not be
usable on the steel stuff. The work should be clamped and let the saw
stop at the bottom of the cut before letting it up again, small cutoffs
can get launched by the blade as you come out of the cut. With
accurately scribed lines I have found I can keep a .010 tolerance on the
cut. I had several hundred pieces of 1"x.065" rd tube to cut. I picked
up a cheap delta mitre saw and a nonferous blade(which cost more than
the saw :-) but for occasional usage the blade that comes with it is
fine. A little bit of wax type lube on the blade prevents chips welding
back on the cut.

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI

http://www.jamescrombie.com

Paul K. Dickman

That depends.
If you are using an abrasive chop saw, these suck on aluminum.
For big stock I use the Chinese bandsaw, but accuracy requires a lot of
tweaking.
For smaller stock and extrusions, I use a wood cutting chop type miter saw
with a carbide tipped blade for nonferrous metals.
I cuts neatly and cleanly.

However, it usually requires clamping the work piece (particularly rounds)
and you need to tape some sort of filter material over the motor vents to
keep it from sucking in chips.

Wear safety glasses and watch out for short pieces of fall off, they come
off with a lot of speed.

Paul K. Dickman

wrote in message ...
I want to start making some custom pieces out of aluminum stock that will
require accurate, clean cutting and don't like the results obtained by
using my chop saw.

What's the best route? Metal cutting bandsaw? If so, can I get by with a
low end unit like the one offered by Harbor Freight for $170? Will it also
be useful for future projects using say 16 ga. mild steel, etc?

Any input is appreciated!

" pjsmacks wrote in
:

Thanks for the replies!! Will look into a non-ferrous blade for the miter
saw - never guessed that it would work for this purpose, but makes sense to
me!

Thanks for all responses!!

I want to start making some custom pieces out of aluminum stock that
will require accurate, clean cutting and don't like the results
obtained by using my chop saw.

What's the best route? Metal cutting bandsaw? If so, can I get by
with a low end unit like the one offered by Harbor Freight for $170?
Will it also be useful for future projects using say 16 ga. mild
steel, etc?

Any input is appreciated!

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:
wrote:

low end unit like the one offered by Harbor Freight for $170? Will it also

I have a similar one. When I cut off bar/round stock pieces for
lathe/mill work, I only have to face off about 20 thou to get a good
finish.

What diameter stock? That could have some bearing on the 0.020"
facing to clean up. I would be a *lot* more impressed with doing that
with 6" diameter stock than with 1/2" diameter stock. (Then again, I
would be quite impressed at getting a clean cut-off on 6" diameters stock
with one of those bandsaws anyway. :-) So let's make it 4" diameter,
which is within the capability of the saw.

Yes -- you *can* cut larger diameters if the length of the
remaining stock is short enough so it doesn't hit the casting where the
blade returns on the backside. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Richard J Kinch

DoN. Nichols writes:

So let's make it 4" diameter,
which is within the capability of the saw.

I've cut monstrous 4" thick solid slabs of 6061 aluminum on nothing more
than a 12" radial arm saw with a conventional carbide-tooth blade. Must
clamp it well, and prepare for a blizzard of chips (button your collar!).
I do this by wheeling out onto the driveway. Not exactly mirror-finish
cuts, but straight and square, which is more important.
Ted Edwards

DoN. Nichols wrote:

What diameter stock? That could have some bearing on the 0.020"
facing to clean up.

Indeed it could and I forgot to mention that little detail. :-) Most
recent was about 20 thou off to clean up a 2" diameter piece. Most
extreme case was the large pully for my neighbours speed reducer. See
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Prop_speed_reducer.pdf
Cutting the 8" diameter blank required cutting as deep as the saw could
then rotating and cutting more using part of the kerf to guide the
blade. Had to face of 50 or 60 thou on that one.

Yes -- you *can* cut larger diameters if the length of the
remaining stock is short enough so it doesn't hit the casting where the
blade returns on the backside. :-)

See above.

Ted

Mike Hardy

I've had luck using a table saw with a carbide blade. My exact setup
is a 10 inch table saw by Northern Tool with a 10 inch carbide tipped
blade by Amana Tool. The blade has 80 teeth with a 5 degree rake or
angle. Makes clean cuts but be prepared to be showered in metal
flakes! Have cut 2 and 3 inch square and round bar of 6061. The blade
would cut more but the motor on the saw lacks the "umph" to cut larger
diamater.