Paul K. Dickman

That depends.
If you are using an abrasive chop saw, these suck on aluminum.
For big stock I use the Chinese bandsaw, but accuracy requires a lot of
tweaking.
For smaller stock and extrusions, I use a wood cutting chop type miter saw
with a carbide tipped blade for nonferrous metals.
I cuts neatly and cleanly.

However, it usually requires clamping the work piece (particularly rounds)
and you need to tape some sort of filter material over the motor vents to
keep it from sucking in chips.

Wear safety glasses and watch out for short pieces of fall off, they come
off with a lot of speed.

Paul K. Dickman

wrote in message ...
I want to start making some custom pieces out of aluminum stock that will
require accurate, clean cutting and don't like the results obtained by
using my chop saw.

What's the best route? Metal cutting bandsaw? If so, can I get by with a
low end unit like the one offered by Harbor Freight for $170? Will it also
be useful for future projects using say 16 ga. mild steel, etc?

Any input is appreciated!