Jim Stewart

I want to start making some custom pieces out of aluminum stock that will
require accurate, clean cutting and don't like the results obtained by
using my chop saw.

What's the best route? Metal cutting bandsaw? If so, can I get by with a
low end unit like the one offered by Harbor Freight for $170? Will it also
be useful for future projects using say 16 ga. mild steel, etc?

Any input is appreciated!

If you are talking about accuracy, sawing is usually
considered to be a stock preparation step rather than
the additional finishing step. A cold saw *might* get
you acceptable accuracy and finish, but since you
didn't specify it, we don't know what it its.

It's unlikely the $170 bandsaw will get you what
you want.