Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

John Amp

Default Making offer to buy home - advice needed

I would like to get some advice from an experienced person regarding
making an offer to buy the house.

We (myself and my wife) plan to move to Palmdale, CA area in
mid-september time frame. We found the house we are interested and
decided to make an offer. However, there is one issue. The seller can
not move out of the house until the end of November 2003. He bought
new house and it won't be ready until November. The seller wants to
rent the house until November after the escrow closes. If this
happens, then we need to find an apartment until November - and move
twice. I belive the house is priced lower than the neighborhood homes
- thus, it makes very attractive to buy the house.

Question:
1) What is the best way to resolve this issue? Is it better for me to
make an offer and buy the house? And rent out the house to him until
November?
2) Or should I write a contract such that escrow will last until the
end of November? That way we don't have to rent out the house and
won't be liable for the house.
3) What requirements should I address in the contract - if I do make
an offer? For example, insurance, cancelling the contract during the
escrow period, etc.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Charlie Spitzer

"John Amp" wrote in message
om...
[...]

you need to find a local lawyer who can answer all these questions. advice
in usenet is frequently worth every penny you pay for it.

Sandra Loosemore

(John Amp) writes:

We (myself and my wife) plan to move to Palmdale, CA area in
mid-september time frame. We found the house we are interested and
decided to make an offer. However, there is one issue. The seller can
not move out of the house until the end of November 2003. He bought
new house and it won't be ready until November. The seller wants to
rent the house until November after the escrow closes. If this
happens, then we need to find an apartment until November - and move
twice. I belive the house is priced lower than the neighborhood homes
- thus, it makes very attractive to buy the house.

I would never, ever consider doing a rentback to the seller. If you
really want this house, offer to close at the end of November and
insist that the house be delivered vacant. Tell the seller you do not
want to deal with liability and the legal and tax issues of being a
landlord between closing and the time you take occupancy. (I don't
know what it's like in other states, but in MA the landlord/tenant
laws are heavily biased in favor of tenants, and it's an expensive and
drawn-out process to get an eviction if your tenant doesn't move out
by the agreed-upon date, for instance.) If your seller balks at this,
you can always try offering them more money to cover the
inconvenience to them....

In any case, certainly get a local attorney to draw up your offer, and
make sure you get the details fully worked out *before* you submit it
to the seller.

-Sandra the cynic
John Amp

Thank you so much for all the response. I believe I got the answer I
needed. I will talk to the local real estate lawyer and resolve this
issue.

Thanks