Machineman

I assume you are using an abrasive chop saw. Have you tried using a
mitre saw(wood type). I find it gives excellent results and a clean
accurate cut. They give a better cut than a band saw but will not be
usable on the steel stuff. The work should be clamped and let the saw
stop at the bottom of the cut before letting it up again, small cutoffs
can get launched by the blade as you come out of the cut. With
accurately scribed lines I have found I can keep a .010 tolerance on the
cut. I had several hundred pieces of 1"x.065" rd tube to cut. I picked
up a cheap delta mitre saw and a nonferous blade(which cost more than
the saw :-) but for occasional usage the blade that comes with it is
fine. A little bit of wax type lube on the blade prevents chips welding
back on the cut.

wrote:
I want to start making some custom pieces out of aluminum stock that will
require accurate, clean cutting and don't like the results obtained by
using my chop saw.

What's the best route? Metal cutting bandsaw? If so, can I get by with a
low end unit like the one offered by Harbor Freight for $170? Will it also
be useful for future projects using say 16 ga. mild steel, etc?

Any input is appreciated!

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI