Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 08:49:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On 29 Nov 2017 03:36:37 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

snip
Larry Jaques writes:
Do you roll the cherry picker over the plate...

Yes. Not a powered basket cherry picker, just a manual push-around
lift/hoist. Old guy, y'know? Picking heavy stuff up off the floor is
no longer my thing.

A cool old cherry picker would be nice too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaVVdsbjMod/

Nice for nostalgia, but I'll keep my Chiwanese picker, thanks.
He'd do well putting some moly grease on the teeth of those gears and
some lube on the shafts. I oil old chains, too.

The vise below is foot operated, built similar to leg vises. The second
slide is a video. When watching I thought the front jaw insert was
loose but now I think it is deliberate to allow the jaw to stay aligned
with its mate. One could probably do something similar for the leg
vises...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb7H9o7jzRq/

I like the pair on the garage floor much better.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29 Nov 2017 03:36:37 -0400, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:
8" leg? That's a huge vise.

Just so. I saw three in the maintainance shop at the old underground
coal mine in Stellarton. The guy who bought the biz bulldozed the
entire shop and sent it for scrap when he couldn't get urban collector
price for for the old gear -- asked $250K IIRC. They used the vices
to hold the ancient pneumatic drills that kept failing. (See the 1910
Brittanica under coal mining for pics of such drills in use.)

Drawing and quartering for that new buyer, methinks.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

This looks pretty much like a machinist's bench vise except:

+ No jaw inserts
+ Contact area for the jaws is much larger than usual.
+ Jaws are much taller then usual, tapering toward the top, giving
clearance to file at a steep angle.
+ No swivel base.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...etal-132396735

That's about it. On mine, no swivel base, the upward taper of the
jaws is more exagerated and it's probably numerous decades older than
that one.

Tnx,
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk writes:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm up in snow country and like old
odds & ends. I've seen several different versions of caulks through
the years. My Dad use to call them sharp shod, or something that
sounded like that. He hauled logs out of the woods with a team of
horses in his younger years. If you dig around in old patents you
will find a lot of rabbit holes to explore searching on shoe caulks

I once had a draught horse that was falling to his knees on ice so I
got a farrier to put shoes on him. They were old but factory made to
take drive caulks -- one end a tapered cylinder to wedge tightly into
holes in the shoe, your choice of blunt or sharp edge to the ground. I
still have the tool, rather like a small ball joint splitter, for
removing the caulks from the shoes. I once had a couple of boxes of
the drive caulks but they've gone walkies sometime in the last 50
years.

I presently have a bucket of premade (but hand made) toe caulks in 3 or
4 sizes. Each one had had a little pointy spur turned up at one
end. You could heat the shoe red hot, hammer the caulk in place. The
cold spur would drive into the hot shoe and hold the caulk in
place while you fluxed and reheated for the forge weld. Hadn't heard
of that refinement until I got the bucketfull from a retired marine
smith who also did some shoeing.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

Since my cherry picker legs are less than 4' apart, and only a few
inches off the ground, I thought yours might be the same.

Only a few inches off the ground but not wide or long enough to reach
the vise/post in the center of the 4'x4' plate without rolling up onto
the plate.

OK, so with the post hole you'd have to lift it by the side, but
isn't it top heavy? Sounds ungainly, but you didn't mention
rigging.

The only mod to the 4'x4' plate that doesn't lift off is a ca. 4" high
square steel socket for the 4"x4" post and a smaller round one for the
vise leg welded close to the center of the plate. Picking the plate
up by the edge with the vise/post unit removed and stowed is little
different from picking up an unadorned piece of plate. The lift hole
near one edge *does* have to be centered in the edge.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

8" leg? That's a huge vise.

Just so. I saw three in the maintainance shop at the old underground
coal mine in Stellarton. The guy who bought the biz bulldozed the
entire shop and sent it for scrap when he couldn't get urban collector
price for for the old gear -- asked $250K IIRC. They used the vices
to hold the ancient pneumatic drills that kept failing. (See the 1910
Brittanica under coal mining for pics of such drills in use.)

Drawing and quartering for that new buyer, methinks.

Yes. He wasn't the only one like that. The next to last manager of a
shipyard & foundry in Liverpool, NS, would smash any gear they were
disposing of before putting it out by the rail spur to go for scrap.
Saw a perfectly good 25# Little Giant/Jardine hammer that had been
intentionally smashed before scrapping. I'm guessing the idea, left
over from pre-WW I notions of sharp business practice, was that it
would prevent anyone, perhaps especially their own employees, from
getting a leg up on competing with them.

(The good news there was that the dickhead retired (or, one can hope,
was unceremoniously ****canned by the owners) before they disposed of
the 300# Beaudry and his replacement, the last manager before the biz
closed, did sell it to another blacksmith in good working order. It's
still in use over in the Annapolis Valley.)

Yes, half-hanged, drawn & quartered.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30 Nov 2017 00:53:43 -0400, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

Since my cherry picker legs are less than 4' apart, and only a few
inches off the ground, I thought yours might be the same.

Only a few inches off the ground but not wide or long enough to reach
the vise/post in the center of the 4'x4' plate without rolling up onto
the plate.

OK, so with the post hole you'd have to lift it by the side, but
isn't it top heavy? Sounds ungainly, but you didn't mention
rigging.

The only mod to the 4'x4' plate that doesn't lift off is a ca. 4" high
square steel socket for the 4"x4" post and a smaller round one for the
vise leg welded close to the center of the plate. Picking the plate
up by the edge with the vise/post unit removed and stowed is little
different from picking up an unadorned piece of plate. The lift hole
near one edge *does* have to be centered in the edge.

Simply weld 4 (U) shaped bits of metal big enough to grab with the
forklift.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

[...]

I got aprox 5000+ lbs of welding rod once from a company maint manager
that had been told to not sell it, but to scrap it. Along with a
Bumble Bee 250 welder (Miller Dialarc 250) and a bunch of other stuff
of similar nature. As I recall...I gave 2000 lbs of that rod away to
members here.

The idea of not selling it..was to prevent it from being used in
competion to the company..who had stopped welding inhouse.
The Maint manager and I were both baffled as **** by those
instructions....WTF??

So I fudged up a scrap company business letterhead using a bogus
name... and took delivery and hauled it all off. And was paid $250 to
remove it from the company property. Its been 12-15 yrs so far..Ive
given away at least another 1500 lbs to friends..and I still have
probably a ton of various rods, including stainless steels, hard
facing rod, cutting rods etc in my home shop inventory.

I gave that welder to someone here on RCM as I recall.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

[...]

I weighed the mast end of my shop crane to determine its moment and
made up a table of the equivalent hook loads for the boom extension
settings. Of course if it does tip forward the horizontal moment at
the hook increases, so iffy loads aren't raised any more than
necessary to block them up and roll the legs underneath. If they have
to be moved while raised, like unloading a truck, I chain them to the
mast to keep them from swinging forward.

Cheap accident insurance:
https://www.amazon.com/Hanging-Klau-.../dp/B00VDKXJ2W

Rebuilding a neighbor's old Curtis snow plow became much easier when I
brought over my lifting gear to align the pivot pin holes. Otherwise
they need about three husky guys with 6' crowbars to reassemble. I can
understand why the previous owner gave it away.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

Since my cherry picker legs are less than 4' apart, and only a few
inches off the ground, I thought yours might be the same.

Only a few inches off the ground but not wide or long enough to reach
the vise/post in the center of the 4'x4' plate without rolling up onto
the plate.

OK, so with the post hole you'd have to lift it by the side, but
isn't it top heavy? Sounds ungainly, but you didn't mention
rigging.

The only mod to the 4'x4' plate that doesn't lift off is a ca. 4" high
square steel socket for the 4"x4" post and a smaller round one for the
vise leg welded close to the center of the plate. Picking the plate
up by the edge with the vise/post unit removed and stowed is little
different from picking up an unadorned piece of plate. The lift hole
near one edge *does* have to be centered in the edge.

My confusion was that I thought you had made the thing one welded
piece.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

[...]

This is a good combination of a narrow wedge end to force under the
load or between rocks and a mushroom head that doesn't snag on pockets
or buttons, the off-pavement equivalent of a Johnson bar:
https://www.harborfreight.com/17-lb-...per-93612.html
They are meant for digging and tamping post holes, an are also useful
for cutting stump roots.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-11-29, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 18:14:43 -0600, Ignoramus26257
wrote:

i have a similar vise in my blacksmith forge.

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

Nice!! Very nice!

I have (2) about that size..both need restoration, mostly sand
blasting, paint and new jaw inserts.

Mine only needed sandblasting, and painting, as it was not used
much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:14:14 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Larry Jaques writes:

[...]

I'd guess those would be a tripping hazard.

This is a good combination of a narrow wedge end to force under the
load or between rocks and a mushroom head that doesn't snag on pockets
or buttons, the off-pavement equivalent of a Johnson bar:
https://www.harborfreight.com/17-lb-...per-93612.html
They are meant for digging and tamping post holes, an are also useful
for cutting stump roots.

Yes, they work well, but beat the crap out of your body, as do
clamshell post hole diggers. I did my share of that before I got
this, which I love. Gas Powered Earth Auger https://is.gd/YqVBx2

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip
A 3.5 inch mounted to my small movable welding stand. That turned out
really nice. Dad scrounged it years ago and we added to it.
Originally a car rim on the bottom, around 4x4 inch tube with a 9/16
narrow rectangular plate on top. Dad had me weld three angle iron legs
to the rim so it wouldn't be all tipsy. I drilled half a dozen holes
through the top for bolt mount vise grips when I added the vise. Works
really nice for holding small things for welding and grinding.

Had a chance to move this where I could take some pictures:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-1.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-2.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-3.jpg

I just slip a hand-truck underneath to move outside or walk it on two
legs. Used mostly for sharpening mower blades and small welding
projects. Really like the added vice and mounted locking plier.

The aluminum crossbar in image one is for a welding ground clamp.
I thought the aluminum to steel connection might go bad at some point
but well over 20 years now and it hasn't...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

[...]

That's a cool little table. It looks very handy and versatile, yet
compact. 2 vises + threaded holes = nice.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip

[...]

Had a chance to move this where I could take some pictures:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-1.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-2.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-3.jpg

I just slip a hand-truck underneath to move outside or walk it on two
legs. Used mostly for sharpening mower blades and small welding
projects. Really like the added vice and mounted locking plier.

The aluminum crossbar in image one is for a welding ground clamp.
I thought the aluminum to steel connection might go bad at some point
but well over 20 years now and it hasn't...

That's a cool little table. It looks very handy and versatile, yet
compact. 2 vises + threaded holes = nice.

The holes are stepped, not threaded so the locking plier will mount
flush to the table. I've got two of them, only one made it into the
picture. They have a loop shaped nut below. Very much like this from HF
if not the same:

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch...amp-36221.html

They work really nice for holding down a mower blade while sharpening
with an angle grinder.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip

[...]

[...]

I have one of those clamps. Its mounted to one of my mini drill presses.
Unfortunately I can not mount it on my larger drill press as it has a
t-slot table.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

[...]

NICE! Is the hole in the corner so you can use a Pritchel clamp or just
another mounting point for the locking clamp?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 11:04:16 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

On 12/14/2017 7:00 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip

[...]

Had a chance to move this where I could take some pictures:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-1.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-2.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-3.jpg

I just slip a hand-truck underneath to move outside or walk it on two
legs. Used mostly for sharpening mower blades and small welding
projects. Really like the added vice and mounted locking plier.

The aluminum crossbar in image one is for a welding ground clamp.
I thought the aluminum to steel connection might go bad at some point
but well over 20 years now and it hasn't...

NICE! Is the hole in the corner so you can use a Pritchel clamp or just
another mounting point for the locking clamp?

It's for a manual turn-table. Maybe a 12 inch round disk, 1/2 inch
thick with a metal post sticking out below to fit the hole. Drop the
post through a shallow bushing and then the table. Clamp your welding
ground to the post, now sticking out below. Mount your work to the disk.
Slowly turn the disk with your free hand while welding. I was always
going to adapt an old wheel roller bearing to replace the bushing but
never got around to it. Was using a MIG at the time. You could weld
completely around stuff without stopping...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip

[...]

Had a chance to move this where I could take some pictures:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-1.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-2.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-3.jpg

I just slip a hand-truck underneath to move outside or walk it on two
legs. Used mostly for sharpening mower blades and small welding
projects. Really like the added vice and mounted locking plier.

The aluminum crossbar in image one is for a welding ground clamp.
I thought the aluminum to steel connection might go bad at some point
but well over 20 years now and it hasn't...

That's a cool little table. It looks very handy and versatile, yet
compact. 2 vises + threaded holes = nice.

The holes are stepped, not threaded so the locking plier will mount

Ahh, so they are, so they are. So you have two rows of 3.

flush to the table. I've got two of them, only one made it into the
picture. They have a loop shaped nut below. Very much like this from HF
if not the same:

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch...amp-36221.html

Yes, handy gadgets.

They work really nice for holding down a mower blade while sharpening
with an angle grinder.

Yeah, those would work a treat for that. Then quickly disconnect to
weigh the outcome on a nail clamped in the swivel vise.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
--John Locke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip
[...]

[...]

Sure you can. Shorten the stud as needed, then make a nut to fit if
it doesn't already. I've used one like this on Glenn Neff's mill.
(Old poster to RCM.)

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
--John Locke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

On 12/14/2017 7:00 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip

[...]

[...]

thats not a bad thing..the bushing. If the work screws up..the
bearing contact points tend to weld themselves to the races and its a
pain in the butt to free em up.

---

Tiling for a wall mounted bog pan and a wall mounted tap Andy Hall UK diy 12 July 31st 06 12:09 AM
Purchasing a 15" Planer: Overhead mounted or under mounted motor? [email protected] Woodworking 5 July 5th 06 02:54 AM
Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink? D. Gerasimatos Home Ownership 4 December 11th 04 07:11 PM
Pedestal Sinks Steve Gontarek UK diy 11 October 28th 03 08:31 PM
Molding around Pedestal Desk base Steve Woodworking 4 October 24th 03 04:13 PM