Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

D. Gerasimatos

Default Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink?

I am installing wainscot and a pedestal sink in my bathroom. Previously, there
was an existing wainscot and a vanity. The person who did that
installation cut the wainscot to fit around the vanity (which was nailed
to the wall) and installed a metal strip to conceal the seam. The wainscot
did not extend behind the vanity.

I have since removed the vanity and purchased a pedestal sink. The sink
top will need to be bolted to the wall between the studs. My question is if
the wainscot should be installed behind the sink (and then drilled through
for the bolts) or also cut around the sink and caulked. Obviously, it
could be done both ways with acceptable results. However, I am curious
how a professional would do it. What is the method most likely to result
in the most professional-looking appearance? Does the wainscot go on first
and then the sink is installed or vice-versa?

Dimitri

wainscot first

I would do the wainscot complete before installing the sink.
In my experience, that gives a smoother job all around.
TB

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
David W. wrote:

Not only a smoother job, but aslo simpler, less prone to measuring/cutting
errors, and fewer opportunities for water to get into/behind the
wainscoting.

Thanks for the advice. So this is the proper order then?:

1. Open wall and finish plumbing rough and install support for sink
2. Close wall and install wainscot, precutting holes where needed (dirty
arm and hot/cold supply)
3. Attach sink to wall

Does that sound right? Do I think caulk around the sink as well?

Dimitri

Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink? D. Gerasimatos Home Repair 4 December 11th 04 07:11 PM
Bathroom - Fitting a new sink & wc Nodge UK diy 0 September 21st 04 02:02 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM