Steve Gontarek

Default Pedestal Sinks

I notice that my new sink doesn't *quite* fit snugly onto the top of
my new pedestal (they were sold as part of the same suite), Apart from
fixing the sink to the wall, and the pedestal to the floor, is there
any need to use a filler of some sort (e.g. silicone sealant) between
the sink and pedstal ? - obviously not for waterproofness, but just no
make a good seat ?

Steve

BillR

Steve Gontarek wrote:
I notice that my new sink doesn't *quite* fit snugly onto the top of
my new pedestal (they were sold as part of the same suite), Apart from
fixing the sink to the wall, and the pedestal to the floor, is there
any need to use a filler of some sort (e.g. silicone sealant) between
the sink and pedstal ? - obviously not for waterproofness, but just no
make a good seat ?

Steve

The 3 pedestal basins I fitted all came with double ended bolt system for
mounting the basin securely to the wall independently of the ped. which was
apparently only decorative.
This seems much better than relying on the ped. for support.
Suppose you have to take off the trap, removing the ped. to get to it would
mean the basin would fall off the wall or hang on the pipes

Mindwipe

"BillR" wrote in message
Steve Gontarek wrote:
I notice that my new sink doesn't *quite* fit snugly onto the top of
my new pedestal (they were sold as part of the same suite), Apart from
fixing the sink to the wall, and the pedestal to the floor, is there
any need to use a filler of some sort (e.g. silicone sealant) between
the sink and pedstal ? - obviously not for waterproofness, but just no
make a good seat ?

Steve

The 3 pedestal basins I fitted all came with double ended bolt system for
mounting the basin securely to the wall independently of the ped. which

was
apparently only decorative.
This seems much better than relying on the ped. for support.
Suppose you have to take off the trap, removing the ped. to get to it

would
mean the basin would fall off the wall or hang on the pipes

i pumped a good bead of silicone sealer into the gap with the wall screws

loose,settled it down and tightened up,no probs since

PoP

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:57:27 -0000, "BillR"
wrote:

The 3 pedestal basins I fitted all came with double ended bolt system for
mounting the basin securely to the wall independently of the ped. which was
apparently only decorative.

I guess I might be playing devils advocate a bit here - but surely
replying upon the basins hanging from a couple of screws, no matter
how well attached those screws might be, is asking for trouble?

The basins are made from porcelain, and porcelain doesn't give me
great confidence that it can sustain tension stresses as gravity tries
to pull the basin away from the wall? Wouldn't this tend to create
shear stresses in the area around the screw fixings?

I tend to think in terms of porcelain being okay for compression
stresses (as would be found in the pedestal as the weight of the basin
bears down on it), but not tension stresses.

PoP

John Stumbles

wrote:

The 3 pedestal basins I fitted all came with double ended bolt system for
mounting the basin securely to the wall independently of the ped. which

was
apparently only decorative.

I guess I might be playing devils advocate a bit here - but surely
replying upon the basins hanging from a couple of screws, no matter
how well attached those screws might be, is asking for trouble?

The basins are made from porcelain, and porcelain doesn't give me
great confidence that it can sustain tension stresses as gravity tries
to pull the basin away from the wall? Wouldn't this tend to create
shear stresses in the area around the screw fixings?

I tend to think in terms of porcelain being okay for compression
stresses (as would be found in the pedestal as the weight of the basin
bears down on it), but not tension stresses.

I thought so too until I fitted one - you could probably climb on it!
Believe me these are seriously strong fittings (14mm dia hole for the wall
plug) and the basin designers have done their homework on the stregth of the
thing. These are continental design btw - not at all like the traditional
Brit design with 2 wimpy holes in the bottom of the basin purely for pulling
the basin in to the wall, with the weight being taken either on the pedestal
or (in Ye Olde Days) on a couple of iron brackets (or various other bits of
metal hardware). Mind you you could probably climb on a properly installed
bracket-supported traditional basin too (though there the strength is down
to the metal, not the pottery)

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Witchy

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:25:32 -0000, "John Stumbles"
] wrote:

I thought so too until I fitted one - you could probably climb on it!
Believe me these are seriously strong fittings (14mm dia hole for the wall
plug) and the basin designers have done their homework on the stregth of the
thing. These are continental design btw - not at all like the traditional
Brit design with 2 wimpy holes in the bottom of the basin purely for pulling
the basin in to the wall, with the weight being taken either on the pedestal
or (in Ye Olde Days) on a couple of iron brackets (or various other bits of
metal hardware). Mind you you could probably climb on a properly installed
bracket-supported traditional basin too (though there the strength is down
to the metal, not the pottery)

I'd be quite happy to climb onto the cistern of our toilet (metal
brackets etc), or the cloakroom sink in the same room as said bog, but
I wouldn't climb onto the bathroom sink unless the ped was firmly
rooted to the floorboards - I fitted 'em all so I know what's anchored
to what
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs
PoP

] wrote:

I thought so too until I fitted one - you could probably climb on it!
Believe me these are seriously strong fittings (14mm dia hole for the wall
plug) and the basin designers have done their homework on the stregth of the
thing. These are continental design btw - not at all like the traditional
Brit design with 2 wimpy holes in the bottom of the basin purely for pulling
the basin in to the wall, with the weight being taken either on the pedestal
or (in Ye Olde Days) on a couple of iron brackets (or various other bits of
metal hardware). Mind you you could probably climb on a properly installed
bracket-supported traditional basin too (though there the strength is down
to the metal, not the pottery)

Interesting!

I thought I would check this out, and with our downstairs loo being
right alongside my study I just popped in to check the bolts before
hitting reply.

No bolts. The original builders have obviously "glued" the basin to
the wall with sticky stuff - I assume maybe just a couple of gobs of
sealant. More correctly, the basin is glued to ceramic tiles, and the
tiles glued to the wall. The basin bolt holes (where I expected the
bolts to be) do seem quite substantial though - felt as though they
were maybe half-inch diameter.

So in this installation the full weight of the basin is being taken by
the pedestal. I hope no-one falls over and grabs the basin to stop
their fall though.

Pesky builders. I see this as a shortcoming in the build. And due to
the awkwardness of the basin hardware it isn't possible to retrofit
bolts with the basin already installed.

PoP

Toby

Steve Gontarek wrote:
I notice that my new sink doesn't *quite* fit snugly onto the top of
my new pedestal (they were sold as part of the same suite), Apart
from fixing the sink to the wall, and the pedestal to the floor, is
there any need to use a filler of some sort (e.g. silicone sealant)
between the sink and pedstal ? - obviously not for waterproofness,

A non-setting putty compound such as 'Plumbers Mait' is popular for this
purpose.
Place a thin bead of it around the top of the pedestal, then fix on basin.
Scrape away any excess after a day or so of settling.
This is about the least critical joint in the whole bathroom, but the
manufacturing process just can't produce the tolerance required for a
perfect joint.

--
Toby.

jerrybuilt

Steve Gontarek wrote:
I notice that my new sink doesn't *quite* fit snugly onto the top
of my new pedestal (they were sold as part of the same suite),
Apart from fixing the sink to the wall, and the pedestal to the
floor, is there any need to use a filler of some sort (e.g. silicone
sealant) between the sink and pedstal ? - obviously not for
waterproofness, but just no make a good seat ?

Please write out:

"Kitchen sink, bathroom basin"

50 times. Then use coloured polyester resin or a good bead of
high modulus silicone sealer, masking off or trimming with a
razor blade afterwards!

be !
Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!
Mark S.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:25:32 -0000, "John Stumbles"
] wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

How do you know when to stop tightening the bolts though? I daren't
tighten mine anymore, it's not 100% but I'm worried about breaking the
basin and I don't have a pedestal to rest it on either, stupid half
pedestal idea of mine... that bit hangs off the basin on springs. ;-)

Mark S.

Steve Gontarek

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:21:31 +0000, Steve Gontarek wrote:

I notice that my new sink doesn't *quite* fit snugly onto the top of
my new pedestal (they were sold as part of the same suite), Apart from
fixing the sink to the wall, and the pedestal to the floor, is there
any need to use a filler of some sort (e.g. silicone sealant) between
the sink and pedstal ? - obviously not for waterproofness, but just no
make a good seat ?

Steve

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't going to rely on just the pedestal - I was going to screw the
basin to the wall, however thats just two screw holes at the base of the basin. I just felt that
when one doesn't have a snug fit, it leaves potential for movement (eventually) and I just wondered
how others got round it. I've plenty of Silicone sealant around. so I'll use that.

Thanks
Steve

Aiden

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:19:33 +0000, Steve Gontarek
wrote:
snip

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't going to rely on just the pedestal - I was going to screw the
basin to the wall, however thats just two screw holes at the base of the basin. I just felt that
when one doesn't have a snug fit, it leaves potential for movement (eventually) and I just wondered
how others got round it. I've plenty of Silicone sealant around. so I'll use that.

Thanks
Steve

Have just finished fitting two "ped basins" - Ideal Standard recommend
"Fischer FixingS" (and supply) - seriously strong screw fixings into
wall with large plugs and nut & bolt other end with special polythene
spacers to centre against the basins themselves - pedestal almost
irrelevant but used silicone sealant after fitting to fill gap and
keep top end of pedestal steady against basin. Perfect.