Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 08:49:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On 29 Nov 2017 03:36:37 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

snip
Larry Jaques writes:
Do you roll the cherry picker over the plate...

Yes. Not a powered basket cherry picker, just a manual push-around
lift/hoist. Old guy, y'know? Picking heavy stuff up off the floor is
no longer my thing.

A cool old cherry picker would be nice too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaVVdsbjMod/

Nice for nostalgia, but I'll keep my Chiwanese picker, thanks.
He'd do well putting some moly grease on the teeth of those gears and
some lube on the shafts. I oil old chains, too.

The vise below is foot operated, built similar to leg vises. The second
slide is a video. When watching I thought the front jaw insert was
loose but now I think it is deliberate to allow the jaw to stay aligned
with its mate. One could probably do something similar for the leg
vises...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb7H9o7jzRq/

I like the pair on the garage floor much better.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti