Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every time one of my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I wish I had more room to use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

For my uses I would NOT want to bolt it down in one place so I'd have to make it pretty heavy. A few hundred pounds doesn't bother me to much. My concrete filled pickup wheel pedestal for my bench grinders has been working out quite nicely, but it might be a bit light for a vise.

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a bench vise bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Yes, I am thinking about the vise on a hitch mount with a tube under the work bench too. It would work ok on my butcher block work bench, but on the steel top bench the C-channel supporting the top would make it problematic.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 15:13:09 -0800 (PST), Bob La Londe
wrote:

I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every time one of my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I wish I had more room to use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

For my uses I would NOT want to bolt it down in one place so I'd have to make it pretty heavy. A few hundred pounds doesn't bother me to much. My concrete filled pickup wheel pedestal for my bench grinders has been working out quite nicely, but it might be a bit light for a vise.

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a bench vise bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Yes, I am thinking about the vise on a hitch mount with a tube under the work bench too. It would work ok on my butcher block work bench, but on the steel top bench the C-channel supporting the top would make it problematic.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

https://www.pinterest.com/galen0685/...tands/?lp=true
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=349414

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...EILDAB#imgrc=_

It really depends on what you are going to do with the vise. If you
need it to simply hold stuff...it doesnt take much. If you are going
to be breaking fittings on pipe...if not done properly..it Will fall
over fairly easily.

One of my clients has a NICE Starrett 8" vice on a small 4 legged
stand..very much like a grinder stand..and it works quite well for
"normal" stuff. I was quite surprised that it didnt move or tip over
as I was using it.

All of my vises are mounted on benches or on posts...shrug..but my
floors are dirt and are not level in the slightest...so I cant use a
free standing vise.

The hitch mount idea is cool..but remember..you are now applying much
leverage to the mounting receptical on the bench..and you could
perhaps easily move it/turn it over. So be sure you make it big enough
and suitable for the job.

Gunner, with 19 vises...some of which are restored..others waiting for
time and interest.

https://goo.gl/photos/aMuWRfzyFJuc2YsT6

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

========================

I'd look into the suitability of a pipe vise tripod stand. Threading
and unscrewing pipe are the most demanding jobs I use my bench vise
for.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim, My dad has a chain style pipe vise on a tripod (sorta) and its actually quite light. I can pick it up and set it in pickup bed quite easily. The third leg is on the end of a 6 foot back with a V on top and the third leg on the bottom. I think its made out of 2" conduit. Its probably close to 40 years old.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 6:13:11 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a bench vise bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

I have two vises in the basement. One is bench mounted and it is the one I use most of the time. The other vise is bolted to a pedestal and the pedestal can be bolted to the floor. But most of the time the pedestal is not bolted to the floor. I also have a HF bender that can be mounted to the same inserts in the basement floor as well as a few other things such as a pipe vise. Well actually the pipe vise mounts to the same pedestal as the vise mounts to.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Jim, My dad has a chain style pipe vise on a tripod (sorta) and its
actually quite light. I can pick it up and set it in pickup bed
quite easily. The third leg is on the end of a 6 foot back with a V
on top and the third leg on the bottom. I think its made out of 2"
conduit. Its probably close to 40 years old.

==============

I did my industrial pipe fitting by brazing so I haven't personally
used a tripod-mounted pipe vise. It looks like you can stand on the
bent-out foot of the near side leg and apply all your strength to turn
a threading die handle.

I temporarily clamped a chain vise to my 400 Lb utility trailer to
thread 2" pipe and nearly flipped the trailer.

A hitch-mounted vise on my pickup was less handy than I expected
because the tail lights are too vulnerable to accidents. When I need
to clamp something large outdoors I attach a blacksmith leg vise to a
corner of a rollaround or welding table.

I've never built anything that needed a completely free-standing vise;
usually I'd rather have it next to a flat surface that supports the
work while I'm tightening the jaw.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-11-27, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every time one of
my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I wish I had more room to
use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

I do. It is a part of my blacksmith shop on a steel plate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 17:17:10 -0800 (PST), Bob La Londe
wrote:

Jim, My dad has a chain style pipe vise on a tripod (sorta) and its actually quite light. I can pick it up and set it in pickup bed quite easily. The third leg is on the end of a 6 foot back with a V on top and the third leg on the bottom. I think its made out of 2" conduit. Its probably close to 40 years old.

I have several of these:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....CL._SY450_.jpg

They work good for what they are. But wrenching a pipe threader
around can move them.

I picked up one of these not long ago...

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/700-power-drive

and it will..will lift the unit in a flash if one has the threader on
the wrong side of the pipe...or if one isnt scrupulous about thread
clearing before backing off the thread.

Btw...anyone have a 3/4" die to fit one of these? I sorely need one.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim, My dad has a chain style pipe vise on a tripod (sorta) and its actually quite light. I can pick it up and set it in pickup bed quite easily. The third leg is on the end of a 6 foot back with a V on top and the third leg on the bottom. I think its made out of 2" conduit. Its probably close to 40 years old.

I have several of these:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....CL._SY450_.jpg

They work good for what they are. But wrenching a pipe threader
around can move them.

I picked up one of these not long ago...

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/700-power-drive

and it will..will lift the unit in a flash if one has the threader on
the wrong side of the pipe...or if one isnt scrupulous about thread
clearing before backing off the thread.

Btw...anyone have a 3/4" die to fit one of these? I sorely need one.

Gunner

Btw...I have several of these if anyone needs a spare, including one
for IRRC...6" pipe.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 6:13:11 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a bench vise
bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

I have two vises in the basement. One is bench mounted and it is the
one I use most of the time. The other vise is bolted to a pedestal
and the pedestal can be bolted to the floor. But most of the time the
pedestal is not bolted to the floor. I also have a HF bender that can
be mounted to the same inserts in the basement floor as well as a few
other things such as a pipe vise. Well actually the pipe vise mounts
to the same pedestal as the vise mounts to.

Dan

=============================

Instead of drilling the concrete for a permanent pedestal I mounted my
HF bender on a rolling table with sockets to insert a long pipe handle
to pull against. The long end of the piece being bent can remain
supported while the whole bender swivels.

The table top is drilled to mount several sheet metal bench tools, and
inverts on trunnions to bring up a corner notcher.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Whoops! Sorry..

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/bench-yoke-vises

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 19:43:10 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

My vise is a 5" Wilton machinist vise on a pedestal bolted to the
floor. The wheeled welding table / work bench is next to it most of
the time. The pedestal is 6" square tube. I like the setup. Nice
and stiff, good for filing, holding rifles for cleaning, and pretty
much anything I need a vise for.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 10:20:50 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
=============================

Instead of drilling the concrete for a permanent pedestal I mounted my
HF bender on a rolling table with sockets to insert a long pipe handle
to pull against. . -jsw.

You misinterpreted what I did. The pedestal is not permanent. In fact the inserts in the concrete floor are deliberately placed in a area I walk thru. This ensures there is always a clear area around where the pedestal can be bolted to the floor.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 20:16:23 -0600, Ignoramus23672

On 2017-11-27, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every time one of
my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I wish I had more room to
use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

I do. It is a part of my blacksmith shop on a steel plate.

Yeah, I remember the pics of that big boy. Bob wouldn't be moving that
around too much without a forklift. LOL

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 7:42:54 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I second the suggestion of a tripod pipe vise. I spent most of last weekend cutting and threading pipe, and the Ridgid vise I rented was worth every penny. Solid as a rock, and folds up relatively small.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 21:37:03 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I considered doing that at one time, but I felt that too many of my
machines were either too heavy or too tall for a flip mounting. This
setup seems to challenge that thought, though.
https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com//wp...flipflop09.jpg

5000 Lb. Capacity Step Bumper Receiver https://is.gd/m5hnmC
I'm starting to look that direction, too, but have been considering
mounting my HF receiver hitch mount on the assembly table. I like the
concept of mounting the bench bender rotated 90-degrees on the end of
the table and using the tabletop as a brace while doing bends on the
end of long stock. It'd really help maintain bend accuracy.

The receiver might be the way to go with my 12" tabletop style wood
planer, as well. I mounted my little 1.75T winch on a receiver tube
and it works well on the truck.

I wonder who has the best price on 2" x .068" square tube.

Back to Bob's request. I tend to get rambunctious with things mounted
in my vise, so I much prefer a solid bench mounting. Ridgid's tripod
setup seems to have the feet you could stand on, but it's lightweight
and portable. You referred Bob to a tripod mount, like this?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....JL._SY355_.jpg

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
=============================

Instead of drilling the concrete for a permanent pedestal I mounted
my
HF bender on a rolling table with sockets to insert a long pipe
handle
to pull against. . -jsw.

You misinterpreted what I did. The pedestal is not permanent. In
fact the inserts in the concrete floor are deliberately placed in a
area I walk thru. This ensures there is always a clear area around
where the pedestal can be bolted to the floor.

Dan

I was unclear, I meant that the floor inserts would be permanent. What
do you plug them with?
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I've thought about this before, but it comes to mind every
time one of my two bench mounted vises is in the way, or I
wish I had more room to use one of them.

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?

For my uses I would NOT want to bolt it down in one place
so I'd have to make it pretty heavy. A few hundred pounds
doesn't bother me to much. My concrete filled pickup wheel
pedestal for my bench grinders has been working out quite
nicely, but it might be a bit light for a vise.

I am also NOT thinking about a post vise, but rather a
bench vise bolted to a platform on a pedestal.

Yes, I am thinking about the vise on a hitch mount with
a tube under the work bench too. It would work ok on my
butcher block work bench, but on the steel top bench the
C-channel supporting the top would make it problematic.

Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

You can't have too many vises, that's what I think

I've got a 60lb 5 inch on a two wheel plus one leg stand and another one
mounted to a custom 2 inch receiver. I made the latter so I could
take/have a nice vise with me at the old heated shop where I worked on
weekends. My truck had 10,000 lb hitches on both the front and rear it
could slip into. The shop vise at work was utter rubbish!

Another 5 inch and a 3 inch bolted to seldom used benches.

A 3.5 inch mounted to my small movable welding stand. That turned out
really nice. Dad scrounged it years ago and we added to it.
Originally a car rim on the bottom, around 4x4 inch tube with a 9/16
narrow rectangular plate on top. Dad had me weld three angle iron legs
to the rim so it wouldn't be all tipsy. I drilled half a dozen holes
through the top for bolt mount vise grips when I added the vise. Works
really nice for holding small things for welding and grinding.

The big 60lb vise is mounted to around a 3 ft x 10 in x 1 in plate on
top of two heavy pipe posts at either end. The vise end has maybe 2.5
ft channel iron at the bottom with wheels on either end. The other pipe
is just welded to a plate at the bottom. Another channel iron spreader
goes between the two posts at the bottom. It is quite stable, yet easy
to move around.

I have a few other small, special purpose vises around too

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I mounted the corner notcher opposite an HF bender or Enco 8" shear,
and a small table saw opposite a belt/disk sander. Both sides are
similar enough in size and weight. I have to plan to complete all the
work with one machine before changing to another, but I grew up using
a Shopsmith and have a 1" belt sander for deburring sharp edges
between operations.

I didn't combine one wood with one metal working machine because the
saw and sander share a motor and outboard supports, and the sheet
metal machines all need the long pipe handle to pull against. Also I
push fairly lightly to feed into the saw and need it stationary, off
the wheels, while I pull hard on the sheet metal machine handles and
would rather they roll than tip over.

My jointer and 10" wood planer remain separate, mostly because their
outboard supports are tedious to align for 8' and 12' planks from my
sawmill. The planer stores under the jointer.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe writes:

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?=20
[snip]
Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

I have five vices -- bench, 2 leg, pattern maker's, cabinet maker's --
permanently mounted on benches.

The 8" leg vice is firmly bolted, via the usual band & wedge device,
to a piece of heavy-wall 4x4 HSS. The HSS post and the foot of the
vice stand in sockets welded to the center of a 4'x4' piece of 1/4"
plate.

The vice, even without the attached post, is too heavy for me to lift,
as is the plate. But it's easy to pick up first the vice and then the
plate with a garden variety rolling engine hoist and prop them in a
corner when the space but not the vice is needed.

The plate and socket are heavy/sturdy enough that hammering, twisting
and wrenching don't move the vice.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Bob La Londe writes:

[...]

How does a leg vise compare to a machinist's vise for clamping objects
with parallel surfaces such as pipe fittings?

The leg vise I found seems more suited to holding manually ground
weldments than machined parts since the jaws are never really
parallel. I don't do a significant amount of forging or hot bending
because I don't have a good safe place for the fire, or the artistic
talent for ornamental iron work. 1/2" and 3/4" conduit benders are
enough for most of the bending I do for structural parts like solar
panel supports.

This works well for bending angle brackets:
http://www.eastwood.com/4-inch-metal-bender.html
I don't have a bench strong and heavy enough for it so I clamp it to a
log splitter I beam.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 10:40:57 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message

I was unclear, I meant that the floor inserts would be permanent. What
do you plug them with?
-jsw

The inserts are for 3/4 inch bolts. I do not plug them with anything. They do not seem to fill up with trash, but should be able to be cleared with a shop vac

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

I was unclear, I meant that the floor inserts would be permanent. What
do you plug them with?
-jsw

The inserts are for 3/4 inch bolts. I do not plug them
with anything. They do not seem to fill up with trash, but
should be able to be cleared with a shop vac

You must be married. Here they would be full in less than a month. Even
faster if I walked by them regularly ;-)

I should take some pictures of my setups but it would be a job in
itself to clear and or move them to a suitable spot. I think "clutter"
should have been my middle name...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 28 Nov 2017 03:06:07 -0400, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Bob La Londe writes:

Do any of you guys use a vise on a pedestal?=20
[snip]
Waaaadaaaayaaathink?

I have five vices -- bench, 2 leg, pattern maker's, cabinet maker's --
permanently mounted on benches.

Ooh, got an EMMERT turtleback type 4 patternmakers vise? (gains
reverent look) http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm
cue cathedral pipe organ https://is.gd/pOIJ7p

The 8" leg vice is firmly bolted, via the usual band & wedge device,
to a piece of heavy-wall 4x4 HSS. The HSS post and the foot of the
vice stand in sockets welded to the center of a 4'x4' piece of 1/4"
plate.

8" leg? That's a huge vise.

The vice, even without the attached post, is too heavy for me to lift,
as is the plate. But it's easy to pick up first the vice and then the
plate with a garden variety rolling engine hoist and prop them in a
corner when the space but not the vice is needed.

Do you roll the cherry picker over the plate, then lift 2" off the
ground under the legs, to move it? That's a heavy chunk of iron!

The plate and socket are heavy/sturdy enough that hammering, twisting
and wrenching don't move the vice.

I'll bet. Pretty cool. In a hurricane, it'd surely hold the house
down, keeping it from blowing away.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip
wrote:

The 8" leg vice is firmly bolted, via the usual band & wedge device,
to a piece of heavy-wall 4x4 HSS. The HSS post and the foot of the
vice stand in sockets welded to the center of a 4'x4' piece of 1/4"
plate.

8" leg? That's a huge vise.

I rather like this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYn8XSJDuiU/

or this slightly bigger one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaAZVc-D3uq/

There are some amazing old tools still out there

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 9:25:53 AM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:

You must be married. Here they would be full in less than a month. Even
faster if I walked by them regularly ;-)

I should take some pictures of my setups but it would be a job in
itself to clear and or move them to a suitable spot. I think "clutter"
should have been my middle name...

--
Leon Fisk

You guessed right. I am married. Will be 59 years in June.

If the inserts were near a wall, they would fill up fa Leon Fiskirly quickly. But they are in a pathway, not an area where I normally work.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 14:44:51 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 07:08:45 -0800

snip
wrote:

The 8" leg vice is firmly bolted, via the usual band & wedge device,
to a piece of heavy-wall 4x4 HSS. The HSS post and the foot of the
vice stand in sockets welded to the center of a 4'x4' piece of 1/4"
plate.

8" leg? That's a huge vise.

I rather like this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYn8XSJDuiU/

or this slightly bigger one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaAZVc-D3uq/

There are some amazing old tools still out there

Oh be still my heart!! Now I have a woodie!!

(Grin)

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

i have a similar vise in my blacksmith forge.

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

The 8" leg vice is firmly bolted, via the usual band & wedge
device, to a piece of heavy-wall 4x4 HSS. The HSS post and the
foot of the vice stand in sockets welded to the center of a 4'x4'
piece of 1/4" plate.

How does a leg vise compare to a machinist's vise for clamping objects
with parallel surfaces such as pipe fittings?

Where parallel jaws are critical, not well. I do have a machinist's
vise.

For when they're desirable but not critical, I usually have temporary,
slip-in 3/16" aluminum inserts over the jaws that add a little
forgiveness. Use them most of the time unless having the sharp edge
of the iron jaw is important for something.

The leg vise I found seems more suited to holding manually ground
weldments than machined parts since the jaws are never really
parallel.

Just so.

I don't do a significant amount of forging or hot bending
because I don't have a good safe place for the fire, or the artistic
talent for ornamental iron work.

Forging is mostly what I do except for general repairs around the
place. And the bench-mounted 6" leg vise suffices for most of that.

This works well for bending angle brackets:
http://www.eastwood.com/4-inch-metal-bender.html
I don't have a bench strong and heavy enough for it so I clamp it to a
log splitter I beam.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have five vices -- bench, 2 leg, pattern maker's, cabinet maker's --
permanently mounted on benches.

Ooh, got an EMMERT turtleback type 4 patternmakers vise? (gains
reverent look) http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm
cue cathedral pipe organ https://is.gd/pOIJ7p

No, sorry. This looks pretty much like a machinist's bench vise except:

+ No jaw inserts
+ Contact area for the jaws is much larger than usual.
+ Jaws are much taller then usual, tapering toward the top, giving
clearance to file at a steep angle.
+ No swivel base.

The 8" leg vice is firmly bolted, via the usual band & wedge device,
to a piece of heavy-wall 4x4 HSS. The HSS post and the foot of the
vice stand in sockets welded to the center of a 4'x4' piece of 1/4"
plate.

8" leg? That's a huge vise.

Just so. I saw three in the maintainance shop at the old underground
coal mine in Stellarton. The guy who bought the biz bulldozed the
entire shop and sent it for scrap when he couldn't get urban collector
price for for the old gear -- asked $250K IIRC. They used the vices
to hold the ancient pneumatic drills that kept failing. (See the 1910
Brittanica under coal mining for pics of such drills in use.)

Some years later I heard about this vise and drove 200 miles to get it,
another smaller leg vise and a Continental engine that I never could
get needed parts for.

The vice, even without the attached post, is too heavy for me to lift,
as is the plate. But it's easy to pick up first the vice and then the
plate with a garden variety rolling engine hoist and prop them in a
corner when the space but not the vice is needed.

Do you roll the cherry picker over the plate...

Yes. Not a powered basket cherry picker, just a manual push-around
lift/hoist. Old guy, y'know? Picking heavy stuff up off the floor is
no longer my thing.

...then lift 2" off the ground under the legs, to move it? That's a
heavy chunk of iron!

I don't get that. Have to lift the vise/post assembly ca. 4" to get
the post out of the socket. The plate has a 2" hole near one edge.
Lift with a pry bar, get a chain hook into it, pick it up.

The plate and socket are heavy/sturdy enough that hammering, twisting
and wrenching don't move the vice.

I'll bet. Pretty cool. In a hurricane, it'd surely hold the house
down, keeping it from blowing away.

Present shop has a concrete floor. Could blow down *around* the vise.
Original shop was too small to hold such a rig, had a 6" leg vise
outside.

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/temp/shed.html

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 18:14:43 -0600, Ignoramus26257
wrote:

i have a similar vise in my blacksmith forge.

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

Nice!! Very nice!

I have (2) about that size..both need restoration, mostly sand
blasting, paint and new jaw inserts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1Hz7TNulycMHbFX2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P4wH1eKNYkAblWgY2

I hope both of mine come out close to that nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29 Nov 2017 03:36:37 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

snip
Larry Jaques writes:
Do you roll the cherry picker over the plate...

Yes. Not a powered basket cherry picker, just a manual push-around
lift/hoist. Old guy, y'know? Picking heavy stuff up off the floor is
no longer my thing.

A cool old cherry picker would be nice too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaVVdsbjMod/

The vise below is foot operated, built similar to leg vises. The second
slide is a video. When watching I thought the front jaw insert was
loose but now I think it is deliberate to allow the jaw to stay aligned
with its mate. One could probably do something similar for the leg
vises...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb7H9o7jzRq/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk writes:

The vise below is foot operated, built similar to leg vises. The second
slide is a video. When watching I thought the front jaw insert was
loose but now I think it is deliberate to allow the jaw to stay aligned
with its mate. One could probably do something similar for the leg
vises...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb7H9o7jzRq/

My browser doesn't render instagram but from your text: Does the vise
also have a ca. 4"x4" shelf-like projection? Could be a farrier's
caulking vise. They have that self-aligning jaw and treadle closure.
I had one 50 years ago but swapped it off for some other stuff.

The shelf would have held a "caulking block", a steel brick with
acute-angle grooves, used to support a freshly caulked shoe, caulk
down, when hammering on the hoof side.

I've also seen a foot operated vise in an optical repair shop but it
was an elegant precision tool, far from clunky old iron.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29 Nov 2017 12:32:30 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

Leon Fisk writes:

[...]

I think that's it. Try these direct links to the static images:

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....36649472_n.jpg

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....781440_n.jp g

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....781440_n.jp g

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....44313856_n.jpg

"Wiley & Russell manufacturing Co. Green River no. 3 foot vise."

Here is a direct link to the Hoist video:

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....39620864_n.mp4

I have to download them myself. Don't have enough computer oomph to
watch them in the browser...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/26/2017 7:12 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

You know I'm learning the ins and outs of a new newsreader so...

That three legged pipe vise setup was two legs angled out front. 6'
long back, with a V cut tube on top and a 3rd leg on the bottom. Very
very stable. We cut a lot of pipe and conduit and threaded a fair
amount of pipe with it in the field, and I don't ever recall an issue
with it moving around on us. I guess it made up for the lack of mass
with size. It was pretty big. Now back at the hardware store we used a
pipe drive. So much easier. You could cut and thread pipe all day with
it. Sometimes I did when a farm would send us a list of precut lengths
they wanted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have five vices -- bench, 2 leg, pattern maker's, cabinet
maker's --
permanently mounted on benches.

Ooh, got an EMMERT turtleback type 4 patternmakers vise? (gains
reverent look) http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm
cue cathedral pipe organ https://is.gd/pOIJ7p

No, sorry. This looks pretty much like a machinist's bench vise
except:

+ No jaw inserts
+ Contact area for the jaws is much larger than usual.
+ Jaws are much taller then usual, tapering toward the top, giving
clearance to file at a steep angle.
+ No swivel base.

Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...etal-132396735

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk writes:

On 29 Nov 2017 12:32:30 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

The shelf would have held a "caulking block", a steel brick with
acute-angle grooves, used to support a freshly caulked shoe, caulk
down, when hammering on the hoof side.

I think that's it. Try these direct links to the static images:

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....36649472_n.jpg

Yes, that's caulking vise, specialized for forging or welding
horseshoe caulks. Never saw one used by a proper farrier for its
proper purpose.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29 Nov 2017 16:33:12 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

Leon Fisk writes:

On 29 Nov 2017 12:32:30 -0400
Mike Spencer wrote:

[...]

I think that's it. Try these direct links to the static images:

https://instagram.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn....36649472_n.jpg

Yes, that's caulking vise, specialized for forging or welding
horseshoe caulks. Never saw one used by a proper farrier for its
proper purpose.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm up in snow country and like old
odds & ends. I've seen several different versions of caulks through
the years. My Dad use to call them sharp shod, or something that
sounded like that. He hauled logs out of the woods with a team of
horses in his younger years. If you dig around in old patents you
will find a lot of rabbit holes to explore searching on shoe caulks

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

BTDT. Conti parts are as hard to find as dinosaur teeth.

The vice, even without the attached post, is too heavy for me to lift,
as is the plate. But it's easy to pick up first the vice and then the
plate with a garden variety rolling engine hoist and prop them in a
corner when the space but not the vice is needed.

Do you roll the cherry picker over the plate...

Yes. Not a powered basket cherry picker, just a manual push-around
lift/hoist. Old guy, y'know? Picking heavy stuff up off the floor is
no longer my thing.

Ditto here, for the most part.

...then lift 2" off the ground under the legs, to move it? That's a
heavy chunk of iron!

I don't get that. Have to lift the vise/post assembly ca. 4" to get
the post out of the socket. The plate has a 2" hole near one edge.
Lift with a pry bar, get a chain hook into it, pick it up.

Since my cherry picker legs are less than 4' apart, and only a few
inches off the ground, I thought yours might be the same. OK, so with
the post hole you'd have to lift it by the side, but isn't it top
heavy? Sounds ungainly, but you didn't mention rigging.

The plate and socket are heavy/sturdy enough that hammering, twisting
and wrenching don't move the vice.

I'll bet. Pretty cool. In a hurricane, it'd surely hold the house
down, keeping it from blowing away.

Present shop has a concrete floor. Could blow down *around* the vise.
Original shop was too small to hold such a rig, had a 6" leg vise
outside.

Nah, just tie the top corners to the assembly.

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/temp/shed.html

Or not, since it likely wouldn't weather a hurricane. g

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Tiling for a wall mounted bog pan and a wall mounted tap Andy Hall UK diy 12 July 31st 06 01:09 AM
Purchasing a 15" Planer: Overhead mounted or under mounted motor? [email protected] Woodworking 5 July 5th 06 03:54 AM
Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink? D. Gerasimatos Home Ownership 4 December 11th 04 08:11 PM
Pedestal Sinks Steve Gontarek UK diy 11 October 28th 03 09:31 PM
Molding around Pedestal Desk base Steve Woodworking 4 October 24th 03 05:13 PM