Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

Larry Jaques writes:

Since my cherry picker legs are less than 4' apart, and only a few
inches off the ground, I thought yours might be the same.

Only a few inches off the ground but not wide or long enough to reach
the vise/post in the center of the 4'x4' plate without rolling up onto
the plate.

OK, so with the post hole you'd have to lift it by the side, but
isn't it top heavy? Sounds ungainly, but you didn't mention
rigging.

The only mod to the 4'x4' plate that doesn't lift off is a ca. 4" high
square steel socket for the 4"x4" post and a smaller round one for the
vise leg welded close to the center of the plate. Picking the plate
up by the edge with the vise/post unit removed and stowed is little
different from picking up an unadorned piece of plate. The lift hole
near one edge *does* have to be centered in the edge.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada