Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Pedestal Mounted Vise

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 11:04:16 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

On 12/14/2017 7:00 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:20:17 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip

[...]

Had a chance to move this where I could take some pictures:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-1.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-2.jpg

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/weldtable-3.jpg

I just slip a hand-truck underneath to move outside or walk it on two
legs. Used mostly for sharpening mower blades and small welding
projects. Really like the added vice and mounted locking plier.

The aluminum crossbar in image one is for a welding ground clamp.
I thought the aluminum to steel connection might go bad at some point
but well over 20 years now and it hasn't...

NICE! Is the hole in the corner so you can use a Pritchel clamp or just
another mounting point for the locking clamp?

It's for a manual turn-table. Maybe a 12 inch round disk, 1/2 inch
thick with a metal post sticking out below to fit the hole. Drop the
post through a shallow bushing and then the table. Clamp your welding
ground to the post, now sticking out below. Mount your work to the disk.
Slowly turn the disk with your free hand while welding. I was always
going to adapt an old wheel roller bearing to replace the bushing but
never got around to it. Was using a MIG at the time. You could weld
completely around stuff without stopping...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b