Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3/16 x 1/2 aluminum bar

I would really, really like to get my hands on some 3/16" x 1/2" aluminum
bar -- 2024 would be nice, but 6061 would be acceptable. 3/16 x 3/8
would be acceptable, too, but if I had to have one it would be 3/16 x 3/8.

I need it for motor mount pads for model airplanes.

I have some 1/2" square bar aluminum Mystery Alloy (I suspect 2024), out
of which I can make what I want, but it challenges the accuracy and
strength of my (crappy) 3-in-1 machine.

Is there some place that just sells the stuff in cut-off lengths?

If not, does anyone on the list have some 3/16" thick plate of some
suitable alloy of which you're willing to whack me out some pieces?

I'll be making some pads that are 2" long and some that are 2-1/2, and
maybe some in between, so having some foot-long (or so) bars makes more
sense to me than having a bunch of pieces that are cut to length.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-x-1-2-A...-/170751999958

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 16:24:54 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-x-1-2-Aluminum-6061-Flat-

Bar-12ft-/170751999958

Please, why did it not occur to me to look on FleaBay?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Ordered. Thank you.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
[...]

What kind of 3-in-1 has trouble milling 1/2" aluminum?? That's a table
saw job.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Glad I could help ! ebay is one of my first options - after I check
locally . Usually if I can even get it here , ebay is enough cheaper that
I'll wait . But then I live in an isolated area , a virtual retail desert .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hul Tytus wrote:
Terry - where do you live that's so far from metal supplies?

Hul

I live near Mountain View Arkansas . The nearest freeway is I-40 , a
hundred miles os so south . The nearest full service metal supplier is in
North Little Rock , also about a hundred miles away - but they do deliver up
here twice a week and there's a $25 minimum order . There's also a steel
yard about 60 miles from us , but they don't handle small stock , just pipe
and structural stuff .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have you tried http://metalsupermarkets.com/portland/metals/
Altho they are quite a drive for me from the far west side. I got some 3/8x3/4 bar
from them for use on my tablesaw and am quite satisfied with the product.
Art

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

I would really, really like to get my hands on some 3/16" x 1/2" aluminum
bar -- 2024 would be nice, but 6061 would be acceptable. 3/16 x 3/8
would be acceptable, too, but if I had to have one it would be 3/16 x 3/8.

There are a bunch of online sellers that are happy to deal in smaller
amounts. Online Metals, Shapiro Supply (local to me) and several others
have quite a wide range of alloys and shapes available.
Just do a Google search on "aluminum bar" and you'll have pages of sellers
to choose from. Several have the exact size you are looking for.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just do a Google search on "aluminum bar" and you'll have pages of sellers
to choose from. Several have the exact size you are looking for.

Jon

I confess i seldom stop by RCM anymore... Too much noise - too
little info.

Nice to see a good on topic post and from my fav LinuxCNC guru.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 05:55:47 -0600, Karl Townsend

Just do a Google search on "aluminum bar" and you'll have pages of sellers
to choose from. Several have the exact size you are looking for.

Jon

I confess i seldom stop by RCM anymore... Too much noise - too
little info.

Nice to see a good on topic post and from my fav LinuxCNC guru.

Karl

Good to see your name, too, Karl. Once my filters are done, there's
not much here, but it's part of my morning ritual while I have my
first cup of coffee.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-5, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I see it's too late, but I usually go to McMaster-Carr for metal stock.
(Is that a bad answer for some reason...?)

George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

McMaster-Carr has a wide ranging selection, awesome customer service, and
ships same day so if they have a warehouse within a couple of states you
usually get your stuff the next day by UPS ground. Pricing for metal and
plastic stock is about double what you can do by going to a local
distributor and upping the volume to full bars or sheets so the total is at
least say $50-200, but then you have to need that much and someone has to
cut it into smaller pieces if that's what you need. For onesies they are
great, you will spend more in time than you can save by looking around,
especially if you need some other odds and ends for the project (fasteners,
bearings, handles, whatever). Plus they still have the best
searchable/browseable e-commerce web site ever, even if they do insist on
making it worse every so often just to make changes, sigh.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/10/2016 5:54 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Terry - where do you live that's so far from metal supplies?

There are great expanses of the US that are long distances from
places...where Terry is is highly populated compared to farther west...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 02/10/2016 5:54 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Terry - where do you live that's so far from metal supplies?

There are great expanses of the US that are long distances from
places...where Terry is is highly populated compared to farther
west...

This is true , I grew up in Box Elder County Utah , and there are places
out there that you can go for miles and miles without seeing any sign of
people . Not so much here , but we're still pretty isolated . Small town ,
tourists are a major industry here but that's seasonal , and we don't even
have a Burger King ... just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Just do a Google search on "aluminum bar" and you'll have pages of sellers
to choose from. Several have the exact size you are looking for.

Jon

I confess i seldom stop by RCM anymore... Too much noise - too
little info.

Nice to see a good on topic post and from my fav LinuxCNC guru.

MEEE?? Um, I might confess to being a sophisticated user, but I'm NO guru!
I do occasionally go to LinuxCNC code fest meetings, and get to chat with
the REAL gurus, however. Those experiences show me how far I am from guru
status.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/02/16 16:47, Terry Coombs wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 02/10/2016 5:54 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Terry - where do you live that's so far from metal supplies?

There are great expanses of the US that are long distances from
places...where Terry is is highly populated compared to farther
west...

This is true , I grew up in Box Elder County Utah , and there are places
out there that you can go for miles and miles without seeing any sign of
people . Not so much here , but we're still pretty isolated . Small town ,
tourists are a major industry here but that's seasonal , and we don't even
have a Burger King ... just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago .

"just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago ."

Is that seen as an improvement or the neighbourhood going downhill, for me the latter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 17:50:52 +0000
David Billington wrote:

On 11/02/16 16:47, Terry Coombs wrote:
This is true , I grew up in Box Elder County Utah , and there are places
out there that you can go for miles and miles without seeing any sign of
people . Not so much here , but we're still pretty isolated . Small town ,
tourists are a major industry here but that's seasonal , and we don't even
have a Burger King ... just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago .

"just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago ."

Is that seen as an improvement or the neighbourhood going downhill, for me the latter.

They usually have nice, clean "facilities" with good hours. I've found
them very convenient for those services ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 02/10/2016 5:54 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
Terry - where do you live that's so far from metal supplies?

There are great expanses of the US that are long distances from
places...where Terry is is highly populated compared to farther
west...

This is true , I grew up in Box Elder County Utah , and there are
places out there that you can go for miles and miles without seeing
any sign of people . Not so much here , but we're still pretty
isolated . Small town , tourists are a major industry here but
that's seasonal , and we don't even have a Burger King ... just got
a Micky-D's a couple of years ago .

"just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago ."

Is that seen as an improvement or the neighbourhood going downhill,
for me the latter.

I didn't say I eat there ... however , the Rainbow Cafe has one of the best
burgers I've ever eaten . A hundred yards west of the Square on the south
side of main . Their French Dip is pretty tasty too ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/11/2016 11:50 AM, David Billington wrote:
On 11/02/16 16:47, Terry Coombs wrote:

"just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago ."

Is that seen as an improvement or the neighbourhood going downhill, for
me the latter.

Can be either, depending on the particular small community...greatly
depends on whether there's still a local establishment at all or not.
There, being in the Ozarks region I'd venture with the tourist traffic
it didn't much effect the local trade other than give the kids a new and
different hangout altho I'm sure there are regular coffee groups meeting
there as well as the corner where they always did before...

We're a much larger local population in a more sparsely, overall,
populated region. He's got "only" 100 mi to Little Rock, +/-, we've got
200 to either Amarillo or Wichita.

They're about 20 people/sq mi for the county, we're about 30(+) but the
county but one to the NW is 1.5 (1500 total/900 sq mi). And that's
still pretty dense compared to areas on over in E Co and then on out
farther west.

(+) But, of course, 22000 of the 23000 total are in one town so our
rural population density is also only slightly over the 1.5 mark; just
that the other county also counts their county seat in that average

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
[...]

Don't get me wrong I love a good hamburger I just don't think McD's has
any on the menu, they're OK and I'll eat one when desperate but the last
time was over 15 years ago and the memory is of a meal that 15 minutes
down the road you didn't remember but I suppose it's commodity food. I
have a couple of small chains near me in the UK that do burgers I
consider far better than McD's and some restaurants do very good burgers
at a price, unfortunately I also know places that serve worse. Hopefully
your Rainbow Cafe isn't effected as it sounds like a place to cherish
and enjoy the fare. When I want a good burger I'll just make my own
starting with the patty which I think is the core of a good burger, not
hard to do, and you can make it to suit your tastes with quality
ingredients. I remember seeing a program IIRC BBC Open University about
things like hamburgers in France and them comparing a McD's burger
against another, they had the top rated restaurant in Paris make a
burger with hand chopped steak, the restaurants own kitchen garden
lettuce and tomatoes etc fresh that morning, fresh baked bun and the
chefs own sauce and as you would expect the journalist rated it as the
best he ever had but so it should be for the price. Finally a mate is a
member of the Donald clan and he has said they wish they could expunge
McD's from history for defaming the family name but it isn't going to
happen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

On 11/02/16 16:47, Terry Coombs wrote:

"just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago ."

Is that seen as an improvement or the neighbourhood going downhill,
for me the latter.

They usually have nice, clean "facilities" with good hours. I've
found
them very convenient for those services ;-)
Leon Fisk

When I lived in Concord NH the hospital served that function. The
cafeteria was good, inexpensive and open until midnight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
[...]

McDonald's burgers are mediocre or worse, but they aren't the same
burgers in the UK and in the US. And they're different in Japan, too.

I've tried all three. The ones they sell in the US are better. I
almost gagged on the ones they sell in Japan. g The burgers they
sell in Australia (made with all export-quality Australian beef) are
supposed to be the best.

BTW, the quality of the fish in their fish sandwich is excellent --
fresher than anything you'll buy in a fish market, because they're
flash-frozen on their factory trawlers.

I wrote an editorial about them a while back, after drinking a whole
bottle of wine and losing a bet with an executive from Amada::

"Fabricated Fish Facts"

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/fabs...5/index.php#/3

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/11/2016 2:33 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

When I lived in Concord NH the hospital served that function. The
cafeteria was good, inexpensive and open until midnight.

It does here in many rural areas as well, altho don't know of any that
actually have the cafeteria open after about 7 or 8PM...but they're
there a dark-thirty every morning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
[...]

The Rainbow is indeed a gem . The wife and I often lunch there , a 20 gets
you 2 Bigger Better Cheeseburgers with fries and a large sweet tea . It also
gives the waitress a nice tip .
That BBCB is a half pound of hand-pattied ground beef ... with the works .
Though lately she's been opting for the Reuben on Rye , the BBCB leaves her
too full to appreciate my cooking at dinner time .
--
Snag
And yes , I'm a damned good cook .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]