Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Difference between Aluminum 6061 and Aluminum 12

I am working on a project. The engineering drawing called for
Aluminum 6061 but the factory told me that they only had Aluminum 12.
Could someone help me on this?

What's the differences between Aluminum 6061 and Aluminum 12?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I did a quick search though a couple of data bases. I have no idea what
Aluminum 12 might be. US standards have a 4 digit spec number for
wrought alloys and a 3 digit number for the casting alloys.

wrote:
I am working on a project. The engineering drawing called for
Aluminum 6061 but the factory told me that they only had Aluminum 12.
Could someone help me on this?

What's the differences between Aluminum 6061 and Aluminum 12?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RoyJ" wrote in message
m...
I did a quick search though a couple of data bases. I have no idea what
Aluminum 12 might be. US standards have a 4 digit spec number for wrought
alloys and a 3 digit number for the casting alloys.

Yeah, my Hadco catalog has nary a "12" in it -- except that most bars come
in 12 foot lengths. That's the only 12 I see.

And, Google is not your friend this time.
Altho if you use quotes around aluminum 12, this thread shows up on p. 2!
That was a fast retrieval by google!
--
DT

wrote:
I am working on a project. The engineering drawing called for
Aluminum 6061 but the factory told me that they only had Aluminum 12.
Could someone help me on this?

What's the differences between Aluminum 6061 and Aluminum 12?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 12, 8:13*am, wrote:
I am working on a project. *The engineering drawing called for
Aluminum 6061 but the factory told me that they only had Aluminum 12.
Could someone help me on this?

What's the differences between Aluminum 6061 and Aluminum 12?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you mean ZA-12 (zinc-aluminum) alloy? :
http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickTe...archText=za-12
vs aluminum alloy 6061:
http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickTe...earchText=6061