Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Strength of aircraft grade versus 6061 aluminum?

Planning to use a short piece (2 or 3 inches) of 5/8" outer diameter
aluminum tubing. The wall thickness will be 1/16" to 1/8".

Pressing down on the center of the tube will be a maximum momentary
pressure of very roughly 300 pounds (a wild guess).

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

General ideas about the differences between the two would also be
appreciated.

Thanks.

FWIW:
With the aluminum tube end inner surface roughened, if I can get the
inner diameter correct so that the aluminum tube end can be glued
snugly around the motor gear, that should be straight and hold very
well. The aluminum tube might also provide good heat sinking when
spinning fast.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 03:50:49 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Planning to use a short piece (2 or 3 inches) of 5/8" outer diameter
aluminum tubing. The wall thickness will be 1/16" to 1/8".

Pressing down on the center of the tube will be a maximum momentary
pressure of very roughly 300 pounds (a wild guess).

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataShe... 0be5b&ckck=1
http://www.matweb.com/search/DataShe...f43f79c 51b7d

Both yield and ultimate tensile for 7075-T6 are at least 80% higher
than 6061-T6.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

Surgical Stainless Steel?

What you really want is "audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet".

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy
duty"?

The three word term "aircraft grade aluminum" in quotes produces
almost one million results on the Yahoo search engine. The term is
commonly used (and defined) at McMaster, a huge metal parts supply
merchant on the web at (http://www.mcmaster.com/) and physically
located in the United States.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

Not exactly. Certain grades of aluminum were developed from need of the
aircraft industry. They are, in general, very much stronger when heat
treated (or aged) than other grades of aluminum. 7075 is likely the
strongest (it rivals mild steel in tensile strength when aged to a T6, or
T651 condition, with 2024-T351 being quite good as well.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

Not exactly. Certain grades of aluminum were developed from need of the
aircraft industry.

Alloys are not grades. The term "aircraft grade" is simply inept puffery
in this context.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Stupendous Man" wrote in message

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

Not exactly. Certain grades of aluminum were developed from need of the
aircraft industry. They are, in general, very much stronger when heat
treated (or aged) than other grades of aluminum. 7075 is likely the
strongest (it rivals mild steel in tensile strength when aged to a T6, or
T651 condition, with 2024-T351 being quite good as well.

Harold

7075T? also considerably less ductal that 6061-T6...

If that matters in this application.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 6, 11:50*pm, John Doe wrote:
Planning to use a short piece (2 or 3 inches) of 5/8" outer diameter
aluminum tubing. The wall thickness will be 1/16" to 1/8".

Pressing down on the center of the tube will be a maximum momentary
pressure of very roughly 300 pounds (a wild guess).

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

General ideas about the differences between the two would also be
appreciated.

"Aircraft Grade" sounds better than "beercan grade".

The poles for my extremely light Stephenson tent http://
www.warmlite.com/start.htm are 7001(?) aluminum tube, 5/8" OD,
0.015" wall. (Jack was once an aerospace engineer.) I picked the tent
up at his house and he showed me how strong the poles are by placing a
16" piece on blocks and having me stand in the middle, barefoot. OTOH
the alloy cracks easily and is 'notch sensitive'. I split the end of
one of the sections by tying it down a little too tightly on my
motorcycle with bungee cords. The tent still stands with one taped
break but it loses some wind resistance. While I was there he got a
call from someone camped on top of Mt Washington whose tent was
surviving a 125 MPH wind.

As I understand it, 6061 is the strongest alloy that doesn't have
corrosion, brittleness and joining issues requiring extra engineering
analysis.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 6:38*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:

... Stephenson tent http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm

I should have mentioned that they are very open-minded 'naturists' and
the web site may not be entirely suitable for children.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

It's thrown around pretty loosely these days, but the term originally
referred to the aluminum-copper alloys developed in Germany around WWI,
which were given the name Duralumin. They were similar to today's 2024. Then
other precipitation-hardening grades were developed, and the term today
usually refers to 2024, 7075, and maybe a couple of other grades in the
2000- and 7000 Series.

But it's become a marketing term, like "billet," so you can't count on it
referring to a particular grade anymore.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 23:58:07 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Stupendous Man wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

Surgical Stainless Steel?

What you really want is "audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet".

Right. One can't beat the oxygen-free, audiophile-quality, Vulcanian
billets of aloonimum, can one?

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Certain grades of aluminum were developed from need of the
aircraft industry. They are, in general, very much stronger when
heat treated (or aged) than other grades of aluminum. 7075 is
likely the strongest (it rivals mild steel in tensile strength
when aged to a T6, or T651 condition, with 2024-T351 being quite
good as well.

7075T? also considerably less ductal that 6061-T6...

If that matters in this application.

Besides price, yes that matters. I'm probably going to struggle just
to get the fit right without grinding the motor gear, so being
ductile is potentially important. I'm also looking at some sort of
nylon/whatever thin tubular spacer if necessary to decrease the
inner diameter of the aluminum tube.

But I'm curious about aircraft grade aluminum too. So far I picked
up at least two different numbers (2024, 7075) designating aircraft
grade aluminum, and the idea that metal can be hardened with aging
(didn't know that one).

Thanks to the replies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
cavelamb himself wrote:
[...]

Look up precipitation hardening of aluminum. That's a more precise name for
"age hardening." Some grades harden that way. Others don't.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
Planning to use a short piece (2 or 3 inches) of 5/8" outer diameter
aluminum tubing. The wall thickness will be 1/16" to 1/8".

Pressing down on the center of the tube will be a maximum momentary
pressure of very roughly 300 pounds (a wild guess).

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

General ideas about the differences between the two would also be
appreciated.

Thanks.

FWIW:
With the aluminum tube end inner surface roughened, if I can get the
inner diameter correct so that the aluminum tube end can be glued
snugly around the motor gear, that should be straight and hold very
well. The aluminum tube might also provide good heat sinking when
spinning fast.

1. As you've found out, there are different "aircraft grade" aluminum
alloys out there. Think about specific alloys, not "aircraft grade" vs.
"landfill grade" (although I haven't seen any Al marketed as "landfill
grade". I wonder why?).

2. Why not 5/8" rod, with an appropriate sized hole in one or both ends?

3. My intui-meter tells me that 300lb on a 1/8 wall 5/8" diameter
6061-T6 tube ought to be OK. Do you have reason to suspect otherwise?

3a. It makes a big difference how and how often this load will be
applied -- with a sharp edge? Squishing the tube? Trying to rip the
tube off of the shaft it's mounted to? What?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's thrown around pretty loosely these days, but the term originally
referred to the aluminum-copper alloys developed in Germany around WWI,
which were given the name Duralumin. They were similar to today's 2024.
Then other precipitation-hardening grades were developed, and the term
today usually refers to 2024, 7075, and maybe a couple of other grades in
the 2000- and 7000 Series.

But it's become a marketing term, like "billet," so you can't count on it
referring to a particular grade anymore.

Ed
My son had a project where he built jet engine hangers for a new, more
powerful C7 military transport jet engine. The billets for this project were
4" thick by 48" by 144". "The Kid" only knew it was a special military grade
AL alloy. He brought home a pile of scrap from this job. Any way to guess
what this stuff is and its properties? I've got a few hundred lbs.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 11:04 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote in message

cavelamb himself wrote:
[...]

Ed,

The story of the development of precipitation hardening aluminum
alloys is quite interesting.

Recalling from memory... One investigator was showing two visually
identical strips of copper-bearing aluminum alloys to a colleague and
asked him to bend them by hand. Although identical in size and alloy,
one could be bent and one could not. The difference was the
precipitation hardening.

The discussion turned to the % composition. Much of the early work
was based on experiences with copper alloys such as brass and bronze,
where the alloying constituent may be from say 5% to 40%. And
aluminum bronze is an alloy of approx. 10% Al and 90% Cu, forming an
exceedingly tough and abrasion metal.

The investigator stated that the copper content was less than 1% and
closer between .25% and .5%. The colleague asked "why so little" and
the reply: "In steel alloys you only have carbon content at typically
less than 1% also. When I first read this tale in a book entitled
"Metall" 40 or 50 years ago I was fascinated.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
But I'm curious about aircraft grade aluminum too. So far I picked
up at least two different numbers (2024, 7075) designating aircraft
grade aluminum, and the idea that metal can be hardened with aging
(didn't know that one).

Thanks to the replies.

In a word or two. Forget the "buzz words" and learn what the
aloy numbers mean and USE them.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

John Doe wrote:

But I'm curious about aircraft grade aluminum too. So far I picked
up at least two different numbers (2024, 7075) designating aircraft
grade aluminum, and the idea that metal can be hardened with aging
(didn't know that one).

Thanks to the replies.

In a word or two. Forget the "buzz words" and learn what the
aloy numbers mean and USE them.

In my signature, you see "rollerblades". Strictly speaking, that
should be "in-line skates", but most people couldn't care less and
"rollerblades" makes perfect sense to the vast majority of readers.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe writes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

This skate looks like it would way upset the proper balance of the toes and
ball of the foot over the leading edge of the skate?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 07:40:46 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

"Stupendous Man" wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy
duty"?

The three word term "aircraft grade aluminum" in quotes produces
almost one million results on the Yahoo search engine. The term is
commonly used (and defined) at McMaster, a huge metal parts supply
merchant on the web at (http://www.mcmaster.com/) and physically
located in the United States.

The problem is, there are several different "aircraft grade" aluminums
- of which 6061 T6 is one. All Zenith aircraft are built almost
exclusively of 6061 T6

6061 T6 is les likely to crack when bending than a 7000 series in T6.
T6 is a hardness spec (solution heat treated and aged IIRC) and is
harder than T3 or T0 (normalized)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 03:38:34 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Oct 6, 11:50Â*pm, John Doe wrote:
[...]

I would concur with your understanding. And it is WELDABLE as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:50:23 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:
[...]

Get 6061T6 bar and drill and bore to fit your shaft. You do NOT want
7000 series for your application - it will likely crack.
Machine 6061 at the fastest speed you can, lubricating with kerosene
or wd40 or even windex - to keep the tool cool and prevent the
aluminum from sticking to the cutting tool.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy
duty"?

Yep

The problem is, there are several different "aircraft grade" aluminums
- of which 6061 T6 is one. All Zenith aircraft are built almost
exclusively of 6061 T6

6061 T6 is les likely to crack when bending than a 7000 series in T6.
T6 is a hardness spec (solution heat treated and aged IIRC) and is
harder than T3 or T0 (normalized)

5052-O is most often used for aircraft fuel tanks since it is easily
formed and weldable.

But I wouldn't try to design a wing with it

--

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped cargo
boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make them with as
few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit tough to cut but has
no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it cracked. I called the
office and asked what was on the receipt. He got 1/8 6061 T6 on sale. I
guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in the morning with a rosebud.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped
cargo boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make
them with as few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit
tough to cut but has no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it
cracked. I called the office and asked what was on the receipt. He got
1/8 6061 T6 on sale. I guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in
the morning with a rosebud.

Outta work fine, but OA is hot enough to melt the metal rather suddenly.
Amd teh thicker the metal, the more of a problem that seems to be.

I'm a coward and use propane. It's a lot safer.

Also, burning soot off of the surface is traditional, but a magic marker
works just as well - and is a lot easier to apply

How about that,
Metalworking advice from a programmer!
It is a really strange world these days, huh?

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Also, burning soot off of the surface is traditional, but a magic marker
works just as well - and is a lot easier to apply

I have been doing fine with the magic marker on the 3003 body parts i am
forming for my bike. They really are magic! I used to use them to mask
solder when building radiators for antique cars. Solder flowed right up to
the line.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

Not exactly. Certain grades of aluminum were developed from need of the
aircraft industry.

Alloys are not grades. The term "aircraft grade" is simply inept puffery
in this context.

Up yours, kink. If you have nothing of worth to offer, why don't you try
shutting your mouth?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped cargo
boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make them with
as few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit tough to cut but
has no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it cracked. I called
the office and asked what was on the receipt. He got 1/8 6061 T6 on sale.
I guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in the morning with a
rosebud.
--
Stupendous Man,

It will bend across the grain, but likes to crack with the grain.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:08:31 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped cargo
boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make them with as
few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit tough to cut but has
no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it cracked. I called the
office and asked what was on the receipt. He got 1/8 6061 T6 on sale. I
guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in the morning with a rosebud.

MINIMUM 1.5 times the thickness of the metal for bend radius - even
annealed (or normalized) is a good rule of thumb with 6061. about
double that, at least, for 7000 series.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

Surgical Stainless Steel?

What you really want is "audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet".

Right. One can't beat the oxygen-free, audiophile-quality, Vulcanian
billets of aloonimum, can one?

Ha, you beat me to the oxygen free part.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

Surgical Stainless Steel?

What you really want is "audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet".

Right. One can't beat the oxygen-free, audiophile-quality, Vulcanian
billets of aloonimum, can one?

Ha, you beat me to the oxygen free part.

Damn! I knew I missed at least one, though 'oxygen free' is a
completely valid descriptor so it's almost illegal in this context.

How about 'depleted oxygen' audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet
aluminum.

I require two 'attaboys' because the last three words mean the same thing.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

Is there any difference between 6061 aluminum and aircraft grade
aluminum for that purpose?

Is "aircraft grade" something like "industrial strength" or "heavy duty"?

Surgical Stainless Steel?

What you really want is "audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet".

Right. One can't beat the oxygen-free, audiophile-quality, Vulcanian
billets of aloonimum, can one?

Ha, you beat me to the oxygen free part.

Damn! I knew I missed at least one, though 'oxygen free' is a
completely valid descriptor so it's almost illegal in this context.

How about 'depleted oxygen' audiophile - quality Vulcanian billet
aluminum.

I require two 'attaboys' because the last three words mean the same thing.

Aluminum? How tacky! What he needs is mock faux erstatz Krell metal.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

Aluminum? How tacky! What he needs is mock faux erstatz Krell metal.

Now you're talking!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

If you have nothing of worth to offer, ...

Conclusion: the truth is worth nothing to you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

If you have nothing of worth to offer, ...

Conclusion: the truth is worth nothing to you.

Another conclusion.

You wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and hit you in the ass.

This may come as a surprise to you, dick kink, but I have NEVER met anyone
that knows everything----but more than a few that think they do. You are
one of the latter.
**** off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

This may come as a surprise to you, ...

Surprise from you? No. Your bitterness and anger is unoriginal and
repetitive. I hope you can find peace and forgiveness in whatever time you
have left.

Save the snake venom for your real enemies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

This may come as a surprise to you, ...

Surprise from you? No. Your bitterness and anger is unoriginal and
repetitive. I hope you can find peace and forgiveness in whatever time
you
have left.

Save the snake venom for your real enemies.

No comment. I don't intend to waste any more of my time on such a useless
individual.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

I don't intend to waste any more of my time on such a useless
individual.

Don't despair. You are quite useful.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

As I understand it, 6061 is the strongest alloy that doesn't have
corrosion, brittleness and joining issues requiring extra
engineering analysis.

Sounds like a good general purpose aluminum for making stuff.
I suppose 6063 isn't much different. At McMaster, 6063 comes in a
few additional desirable forms for a non-machinist.

For what it's worth.

This is what I ordered:

.... seamless aluminum tube 6061, 5/8" OD, .495" ID
.... seamless aluminum tube 3003-H14, 5/8" OD, .495" ID

The outer diameter of the motor gear (see my other posts) that the
aluminum tube will be pressed around/over/onto measures .494 inches.
The gear has an odd number of spokes (don't know the terminology) so
that diameter is slightly smaller than the diameter of a perfect
circle around the gear, to be matched with the inner diameter of the
aluminum tube. It should be a very close fit IMO. I bought two
different types of aluminum tube just to see if one will fit better
than the other.

.... steel ball bearings for 5/8" shaft
.... glass-filled PTFE sheet
.... PTFE filled Delrin strip