Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Strength of aircraft grade versus 6061 aluminum?

"John Doe" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

As I understand it, 6061 is the strongest alloy that doesn't have
corrosion, brittleness and joining issues requiring extra
engineering analysis.

Sounds like a good general purpose aluminum for making stuff.
I suppose 6063 isn't much different. At McMaster, 6063 comes in a
few additional desirable forms for a non-machinist.

FWIW, 6063 has a little less strength than 6061 and a little less elongation
(ductility). But it's a bit more weldable, having lower zinc and copper
content.

It's basically an extrusion grade, with a little extra corrosion resistance
over 6061. Machineability is rated "fair" by ASM.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 10:08 pm, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
The boss got me a ten foot sheet of aluminum to make some odd shaped cargo
boxes for his 61 Land Rover. I laid out a nice pattern to make them with as
few riveted seams as possible, thought it seemed a bit tough to cut but has
no grade markings on it. I test bent a piece and it cracked. I called the
office and asked what was on the receipt. He got 1/8 6061 T6 on sale. I
guess I will be annealing all the bend seams in the morning with a rosebud.

No, no, Not so much heat. It'll melt. Make a black mark with a
Jiffy marker and heat the area until the mark starts to disappear. It
takes very little heat to anneal this stuff. You can ruin it so
easily. I use a simple propane torch and am careful with that.

Dan